Nuzlocke Challenge

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you can trade-evolve and are willing to give up Eevee (or get insanely lucky), Alakazam does even better since it can learn Psychic before level 50 IIRC.

In other news, still grinding -_-
You can probably pull it off with Kadabra too, since iirc his SpAtt and Speed are comparable to Espeon's. He would just be a little more fragile. Plus it's tougher to get an Abra (unless you buy one from the Game Corner, which would require long hours of Voltorb flip) than an Eevee.

I mean really there's lots of options, some probably even better than Espeon, it just happened to work really well for me so I posted it. Karen is going to be rough though, let alone Lance. Especially with no restarts or healing, ugh. And I have to do it all with a L43 Crobat, L44 Feraligatr, and L45 Ho-oh. I have a feeling I'ma need some serious luck on my side, or maybe a sacrifice or two.

Does Nuzlocke include Kanto and Red, or just the E4? My strategy might change if this is the case.

You can probably pull it off with Kadabra too, since iirc his SpAtt and Speed are comparable to Espeon's. He would just be a little more fragile. Plus it's tougher to get an Abra (unless you buy one from the Game Corner, which would require long hours of Voltorb flip) than an Eevee.

I mean really there's lots of options, some probably even better than Espeon, it just happened to work really well for me so I posted it. Karen is going to be rough though, let alone Lance. Especially with no restarts or healing, ugh. And I have to do it all with a L43 Crobat, L44 Feraligatr, and L45 Ho-oh. I have a feeling I'ma need some serious luck on my side, or maybe a sacrifice or two.

Does Nuzlocke include Kanto and Red, or just the E4? My strategy might change if this is the case.
You can certainly stop at the E4 if you want, though plenty of people also go on to beat Red and the more powerful version of the E4 later on. Your challenge, your rules. That being said, I wouldn't recommend it if you don't want to grind; you'll be mid-50s at best by the end of Kanto judging from what you have now, and you essentially need to be in the 70s to stand a chance against Red without the help of Revives, not to mention the second round with the E4.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah I'm contemplating scrapping one or two of my main team and just focusing on one poke to sweep the whole thing. Remember that you can rematch the Gym Leaders later on indefinitely, so that's a good way to level up. Much quicker than grinding. I'm also doing my best to save rare candies for later when it's harder to level up. I think after the E4 I will attempt to continue on and beat the second round of E4 and Red, for completion's sake.

You can certainly stop at the E4 if you want, though plenty of people also go on to beat Red and the more powerful version of the E4 later on. Your challenge, your rules. That being said, I wouldn't recommend it if you don't want to grind; you'll be mid-50s at best by the end of Kanto judging from what you have now, and you essentially need to be in the 70s to stand a chance against Red without the help of Revives, not to mention the second round with the E4.
Lies. I soloed red with a level 46 Lanturn and about 15 x-items. I suppose it would be much tougher if items weren't allowed or if my lanturn had illuminate instead of volt absorb but personally I have always had significantly more trouble with the E4 part 2 than with Red. Even if I didn't have something that countered half of his team while being 30 levels lower

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
Lies. I soloed red with a level 46 Lanturn and about 15 x-items. I suppose it would be much tougher if items weren't allowed or if my lanturn had illuminate instead of volt absorb but personally I have always had significantly more trouble with the E4 part 2 than with Red. Even if I didn't have something that countered half of his team while being 30 levels lower
Ah, see I'm not using X-items either. I think they make the challenge much more bearable without grinding, but I wanted to make it harder on myself.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
on a side note Noctowl owns Morty if anyone has issues with him. Getting a Geodude early also helps against the first 3 gyms.

Togepi is indeed amazing against Morty, especially now that it gets Extrasensory (plus if you're actually using it it'll probably be a Togetic by then and not a complete waste of space :D). Also, I like that idea of rematching the Gym Leaders, though it means hunting them down and going to find them at specific times for battles, which is kinda annoying.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
Togepi is indeed amazing against Morty, especially now that it gets Extrasensory (plus if you're actually using it it'll probably be a Togetic by then and not a complete waste of space :D). Also, I like that idea of rematching the Gym Leaders, though it means hunting them down and going to find them at specific times for battles, which is kinda annoying.
DS time change ability is win.

Also I have sad news to report for everyone - my HG Nuzlocke Challenge met an unfortunate end last night, when I was completely wiped out by Lance. Although our last two pokemon both fainted simultaneously (my Wobbuffet used Destiny Bong on his Dragonite), I was not granted passage to the hall of fame. With my entire main team wiped out, I was left with just the following pokemon in my PC:

L12 NidoranM
L20 Phanpy
L17 Golduck
L15 Togepi
L15 Mankey
L20 Krabby

Since it would take ridiculous amounts of grinding to even get that team within respectable striking distance of the E4, and that fact that all my good TMs were used on my main team, I decided not to make my pokemon suffer any longer, and pulled the plug on the life support system. Perhaps another day, with a different team, will I be successful. I'll miss you Jaws the Feraligatr, Ex GF the Crobat, Seminole the Espeon, Incensor the Ho-oh, Tankita the Wobbuffet, and Gorbachev the Dratini, may you rest in peace...

Next time Gadget, next time!

Well, damn. I appear to have died to the one thing everyone warned me about: Poison...

It was a crushing blow. Both Vimes the Squirtle and my latest Pokémon, Roger the Metapod, were victims of this horrible affliction.

I needed a getaway after my partners, whom I had known for so little time but bonded with so much, fell. I moved to the Sinnoh region, in Pokémon Pearl! Expect an update soon.

It probably didn't help that my Pokemon were a level six Rash Starly and a level eight Adamant Turtwig, lol. And I got critted three or four times in a row. Ah well.

Update 1: Crystal nuzlocke.

Pretty basic update caught a couple of new members of my team beat Falkner.
Before taking on Falkner i decided to evolve my Metapod into a Butterfree.

So beat all of Falkner's buddies and Sprout tower before taking him on.
I very much underestimated him and lost Yoda the Rattatta however the he was a very new member of the team so the loss was not as big as it could have been., but Ace the Pidgey and Blossom thought well and managed to defeat the Pidgeotto.

Now we move onwards to take on the Union cave and Bugsy.

The Team.

Blossom- Lvl 10 Butterfree
Chrome- Lvl 12 Chikorita
Ace- Lvl 12 Pidgey.

RIP:
Yoda- Lvl 5 Rattata.

Man, defeating my rival in Violet City (that's the Slowpoke town, right?) was a pain in the ass. My only Pokémon capable of defeating his Bayleef was my Pidgeotto. However, that Bayleef is such a bitch. It poisoned me on turn one (stage 1 poison, luckily), which resulted into a Roost vs. Synthesis stall war. That stupid Bayleef managed to crit me 4 times in a row with Razor Leaf, but luckily, just when it was needed, I got a crit with my Gust. Damn that was annoying.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Protip: Don't use Pidgeotto in HG/SS. Use Kenya (level 20 gift spearow) if you need a flying type. Besides, they're all but useless lategame. In most of my HG/SS runs, I get Kenya before Whitney and then ditch it (or keep it for Fly) after Chuck. It's useless against Jasmine and Pryce, and it won't do much to Clair or the E4 unless you overlevel it. There are much better Pokemon to use by then, such as the Eeveelutions or Ho-Oh/Lugia.

Pearl Update:

I started with Turtwig, named Izzy. After progressing through the damn' tutorial, I got lucky and caught Liana the Shinx, at level 4 as well! Gave Lewis (the rival) his Journal, and headed northwards to try and get a Budew. Unfortunately, the RNG decided "No Budew for you! Starly, go!". At least it was at level 6, and so Swift the Starly became the 3rd member of my team. I then progressed to Oreburgh City and down the mine to both train and find Roark. But one of those damn' Machops landed a critical hit on Izzy, which sadly meant my first Pokémon was down. I realised that Izzy's death meant I had virtually nothing to defeat Roark, so I headed to Ravaged Path (you know, that pointless cave between Jubilife and Floaroma) and... a Zubat. Great. I forgot to nickname it, as I'm not used to it (but my fourth female Pokémon will be named Lucy). I also caught a more useful Geodude in the other cave between Jubilife and Oreburgh aaaand forgot to nickname it. She'll be called Wilma.

So, to sum up:

Current Party:
Liana the Shinx, lvl 11
Swift the Starly, lvl 11
Wilma the Geodude, lvl 8.

Current boxed:
Lucy the Zubat, lvl 7

In Heaven:
Izzy the Turtwig, lvl 5-10 RIP.

Out of morbid curiosity, what are the hardest games?

I'd imagine it goes Yellow, Red/FireRed, Blue/LeafGreen, Emerald, Ruby/Sapphire. I know it's subjective, but those games have always seemed trickier just on normal playthroughs.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
HG comes up frequently when people talk about the really hard ones, but I didn't lose anyone until I fought Lance in the E4 (and I was doing no restarts/no healing items EVER/no X-items so it was pretty harsh). Hardest gym is probably Ecruteak if you don't have a normal type, but once you're past that and you start getting your pokes full evolved it gets much easier, especially if you know where to look to get a decently balanced team. Lance is crazy hard though, even with your whole team at full power. He's just got an answer to everything unless you're faster and one-hit all of his pokemon.

I'm thinking about starting a Nuzlocke Challenge on here using these rules:
-Pokemon Ruby
-When a Pokemon faints, it is taken to the PC and released.
-Cannot buy revives, but can revive a party member if I find a picked up revive at the time of fainting
-Pickup items cannot be used
-Pokemon Centres can be used maximum 5 times each (except Mom, 10 times)
-Cannot use items mid battle, however can use them outside battle
-Can buy 1 Pokeball or 1 Potion at each Pokemart
-Cannot buy status healers nor can I use them outside battle
-Can only catch 1st pokemon seen in any area, however event Pokemon do not count
-No legendaries

However I'm having a hard time deciding on a unique angle for the story...

I can't get any ROMs to work (which I would never use since they are illegal :naughty:) so I'm stuck using my GBA. Any ideas for presentation since I'm limited to just my handheld (comics aren't an option, sarry).

I was wondering how HG/SS would fare as Nuzlocke challenges, since the levels are lower overall than the other games (though, Kanto would add an edge of difficulty, I'm sure). Do HG & SS present the same level of difficulty? I can definitely see Morty posing a problem, since I usually either have a Croconaw with Bite or an Ampharos with it's general in-game scariness. Without either of them or a Normal-type (lulz, Rattata), that would be crazy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)