Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
well i can understand that.lol

my set will be most likely be

Metagross @ Lumberry
Brave
Hp252, Atk6, Def252
-MeteorMash
-Bulletpunch
-Psych-up
-Explosion
Just be sure to watch out for Empoleon! :p That should be fine as long as you have something that can deal with Metals and Water types.

i think everybody should look at this

http://www.youtube.com/user/pokemontrain
This is gold, the pokemon battles are pretty good too.

In all seriousness though I watched the battle with the sun+trick room team, and it was really interesting, too bad it lost. Another battle I watched had a Cresselia out the whole time and I was really underwhelmed by the skill in that one. Unless I followed it wrong, the trainer using Gyarados protected when it was obvious that infernape would be finishing off the snorlax and Gyarados could have attacked the infernape instead and that led to it getting an encore next turn which was awesome. Also I think the underestimated the value of Protect, even though this one seemed like a waste. Last I watched the one with Togekiss and Dusknoir, I couldn't tell what was going on, did Togekiss have a normal attack lowering berry? That's really specific but watching Azelf explod and do so little damage was cool. Was Bronzong using Swagger on snorlax, I thought so but it was never confused,, and why was the other snorlax so much stronger. That reminds me, I need to go to sleep.

Quick question does safeguard in doublebattles eliminate confusion?? thinking about a safeguard/swagger combo
From the analysis:
"Blocks burn, confusion, freeze, paralysis, poison, and sleep for 5 turns. This effect remains even if the user switches. Safeguard does protect from Toxic Spikes. It does not protect from Thrash, Petal Dance, or Outrage confusion."

Yes, Safeguard prevents you from being confused by Swagger but I am not so sure that it prevents confusion from Outrage, Peta Dance, and Thrash.

well to answer the question about darkvoid yes everyone would most likely have it. as well as first turn someone will fakeout with smeargle and the noobs will follow me first turn. fake out is the best choice since Zapdos now has heat wave that attacks both pokemon on the field.

I remember people talking about a lack of chesto/lum berries to counter dark void last year, so I'm guessing their usage will rise. I think DV usage will fall slightly, since hypnosis accuracy was reduced and hypnosis was a nice back up for lum/chesto users and if dv missed. Starter Smeargle's best move is always Fake Out unless there is an opponent pokemon with fake out, then you still have to use follow me. Zapdos heat wave won't do much to heat proof bronzong anyway EDIT: and fail to OHKO levitate ones too (or dusknoir/uxie/whatever). If it's not paired with a bulky trick roomer, then stuff changes a little.

hey how would a team with that doesnt run trickroom but still has a trickroom snorlax and metagross with the bellydrum+psych up combo work?

hey how would a team with that doesnt run trickroom but still has a trickroom snorlax and metagross with the bellydrum+psych up combo work?
i dont think having bellydrum+psych up will work in a non trickroom team.
I found these sets to work quite well together in a non trick room team

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 200 HP/116 Atk/140 Spd/52 SDef (200 HP since the hp IV was an even number)
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Bullet Punch
---
Snorlax (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef (min speed IV's)
Brave nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Fire Punch
- Double-edge
- Protect
- Selfdestruct

but there are better options than that and metagross used to run protect over EQ

Metagross @ Lum Berry
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Bullet Punch
---
- Fire Punch
- Double-edge
- Protect
- Selfdestruct

but there are better options than that and metagross used to run protect over EQ
thank you for showing me this but after testing my team in a 2-3 battle i now know what i want to run. its going to take me 2-3days to get the last 2 pokemon.

Metagross @ Lum Berry
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Bullet Punch
---
- Fire Punch
- Double-edge
- Protect
- Selfdestruct

For what purpose would 140 speed EVs serve on a Metagross? It would be better to put 8 EVs if you want to outrun other Metagross. The remaining EVs (from speed) should be placed in Sp. Def. and HP to make Latios HP Ground 70 a 3-hit-KO. Return is better than Double-Edge on Snorlax as Return does not bring recoil.

For what purpose would 140 speed EVs serve on a Metagross? It would be better to put 8 EVs if you want to outrun other Metagross. The remaining EVs (from speed) should be placed in Sp. Def. and HP to make Latios HP Ground 70 a 3-hit-KO. Return is better than Double-Edge on Snorlax as Return does not bring recoil.
The 140 speed EV's on gross was to make it be able to out speed neutral base 85 speed pokemon but mainly Cresselia. Snorlax had Double-Edge over Return because Double-Edge can 1HKO and 2HKO certain pokemon Return cant, now that i cant remember what pokemon they where (Zapdos could of been one) it's kinda pointless.

and thanks for the heads up Haku16

this is a team ive been testing out recently. it has been fairly successfull

infernape @ life orb
hasty 252 atk/208 spe/50spa
fake out
flare blitz/overheat
clost combat
protect

infernape, imo, makes one of the best fake out leads. protect is obvious. close combat is for powerfull stab and ape doesnt really mind the def drops too much b/c hes so frail hes most likely going to die from whatever hits him anyway. this is just my test ape, hench the flare blitz/overheat, and the spa evs. ive found flare blitz to be more effective than overheat though, hitting things like metagross for more damage because the mostly invest in their spD, so my final ape will probably be jolly, with flare blitz and those extra evs in hp for more survivability (haha). the 208 speed evs is enough to outspeed max speed base 100s by 2 points.

gyarados @ lum berry
adamant 156 hp/108 atk/100 def/144 spd
waterfall
stone edge
protect
taunt

this is the bulkygara spread only with the speed evs in spD. in my experiences so far gyarados hasnt needed those evs to outspeed anything specific (although ive only come across 2 or 3 cresselias, and im not sure of their speed, so i might end up running the speed). waterfall is basic stab, and again, protect goes without saying. stone edge is great for coverage(i tried earthquake at first but it doesnt work well with ape or metagross and stone edge has covered more of what i need in my experiences). taunt and lum berry work well together to stop sleep leads and any other random status or set up. intimidate also helps a majority of the time and could possibly help ape survive an attack.

zapdos @ sitrus berry (looking for something better or more usefull)
timid 252 spa/i forgot the exact evs but its around 110 hp 140 spD
thunderbolt
detect
light screen
thunder wave

this zapdos is surprisingly more bulky than it seems. ive found it to still outspeed everything it needs to even without speed investment. another earthquake immunity is very welcome, considering 2 of my pokemon are weak to it. thunderbolt and detect are basic, while light screen and thunder wave are prett much fillers for right now although both have their uses and have helped me win games, thunderwave is great against swift swimmers. im probably going to put heat wave on it over light screen once platinum is out though.

metagross @ steel plate
adamant 240 hp/ 80 atk/ 188 spD
bullet punch
metor mash
explosion
earthquake

a very basic metagross, with the trapper ev spread. the plate is for a little extra power which is always welcome though theres probably better item choices. id like to fit protect on here somewhere if possible. not much else to say.

one major problem ive had with this team is garchomp, mainly because he resists almost all my attacks. zapdos cant touch him (yet, but wont be doing much with heat wave anyway) it shrugs off infernapes attacks with ease, and it always 2hkos metagross with earthquake. fortunately i havnt seen many of them though but im sure there will be a good number of them at the showdown. so thats my test team so far. opinions/thoughts ? rates ? improvements ? anything is welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)