Project OM Mashup Megathread

I've got some very important news. My reign of terror as the sole dictator of OM Mashups is finally over. I have opressed many of you in my time, but for those that enjoyed my leadership, don't be alarmed - I am NOT stepping down. Something much better has happened - PokaPK has agreed to join me as Mashups Leader!
He has been a vital part of the OM Mashups room ever since he joined. It started with the creation of the hugely popular Randbtas Mayhem format and continued with stellar performance as roomauth. Please give him a warm welcome, I am certain he will help us push OMM to even greater heights!
Just want to piggyback on this and say I am beyond excited to join TNM on this journey and continue the growth of OMM. He will need to teach me some of his overbearing dictator ways, but I'll get there in due time. Let's hit the ground running. Can't wait to see what's next!

As promised before the trial period, the council voted on a couple elements on the metagame that were deemed (by us or the community) problematic.
1614796169938.png

Latios and Landorus T are thus banned from STAAABmons. Oblivion Wing is now restricted. Lando I, Dascent and Surging Strikes will be monitored some more to see if they are healthy for the metagame.

As promised before the trial period, the council voted on a couple elements on the metagame that were deemed (by us or the community) problematic.
View attachment 320452
Latios and Landorus T are thus banned from STAAABmons. Oblivion Wing is now restricted. Lando I, Dascent and Surging Strikes will be monitored some more to see if they are healthy for the metagame.
So now, can we ban Magearna ? Please uwu

PociekMociek

is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
OMPL Champion
The TSAAA council has decided to unanimously BAN :guzzlord: Guzzlord due to its current metawarping behavior.
Thoughts of the council members:
TBA
TBA
Guzzlord's defensive utility is simply too large. It's PHeal ID + Body Press set is able to do unholy things like survive +2 Pixilate Gapidash Double Edge, while the RegenVest set is blanket checking almost every special attackers even being able to tank +2 LO Lucario STAB 80 bp move. It's movepool is also stellar threatening almost everything with either a simple removal of an item through poison and large chip from draco up to even a kill thanks to the plentiful coverage it has.
TBA
The code is now PR'd into the tour code repository but just in case it's also here:
/tour rules !Obtainable Abilities, -Arena Trap, -Comatose, -Contrary, -Fluffy, -Fur Coat, -Gorilla Tactics, -Huge Power, -Ice Scales, -Illusion, -Imposter, -Innards Out, -Intrepid Sword, -Libero, -Moody, -Neutralizing Gas, -Parental Bond, -Protean, -Pure Power, -Shadow Tag, -Simple, -Speed Boost, -Stakeout, -Tinted Lens, -Water Bubble, -Wonder Guard, 2 Ability Clause, -Light Ball, -Absol, -Archeops, -Arctovish, -Bellossom, -Guzzlord, -Shedinja, -Regigigas
Future plans of the council:
  • look into :cresselia: Cress
  • revamp the not well done VR ;-;
  • talk about the likely changes to one of our base metas (AAA) and whether to inherit their bans or clauses
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I, myself, welcome our new monke overlords.
monke.jpeg

View attachment 321365

Because nobody else did show their req for AAA Doubles >:/ I might as else do it.

Probably leaning towards a ban, but I do eventually think it might have been a mistake to suspect test Cresselia and should have suspect test Stored Power instead.
You know what I think about Cress Heat, Stored Power is not the issue, can you name another mon that can spam Stores Power so Well ? Cresselia was a big reason behind the Weakness Policy ban lul I dunno if a mon that is capable to do something like Weakness policy broken is healthy, also if you ban SP, Cress can spaming Psychic... only a unaware special wall can stop this and unaware is quite uncommon in doubles. My vote is still for a ban uwu

:fukyu::fukyu::fukyu:
:fukyu::cresselia::fukyu:
:fukyu::fukyu::fukyu:

Alright, I'm going to make a quick announcement here, I've messed it up. I expected people to bring a screenshot as proof, but Young K!ller informed me that he forgot to do so.

Therefore, I will be extending the Cresslia suspect test to another two weeks (Wednesday, 24th March), I will do screenshots by myself for anyone who won any AAA Doubles suspect tour and announcing who reached the req as well. I shall apologize for the inconvenience.

Alright, I'm going to make a quick announcement here, I've messed it up. I expected people to bring a screenshot as proof, but Young K!ller informed me that he forgot to do so.
Sorry...:psysad: I readed superficially the post about the suspect and did not noticed the part where the screenshot was mandatory. Wasn't my intention ruined the suspect or something like that. :psytear:

Don Vascus

Certified Wednesday Poster
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Im bored and not willing to wait for tnm to update the STAABmons resources, so im posting this team I've used for a while now

https://pokepast.es/ccf5e04e61aa25cb
:landorus: :heliolisk: :azelf: :magearna: :chansey: :toxapex:

A balance team whose plan consists of pivoting around, overwhelming most walls with landorus and sometimes heliolisk, and picking up the rest with azelf and sometimes heliolisk

A bit of a breakdown:

:landorus:
Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Dragon Ascent
- Weather Ball
- Swords Dance

This is the god of staaab. Ground/flying is an amazing offensive typing. Coupled with high bp stabs, lando can break a lot of stuff before it even presses swords dance, and the few mons that resist both stabs get destroyed by weather ball in the sun. the water inmunity allows it to switch into most waters with impunity as well

:heliolisk:
Heliolisk @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Boomburst
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Surf

Most new STAAAB players would overlook heliolisk at first. It doesnt really have a niche in either stabmons or AAA, and its stats arent particularly good. But in staaab, it gets Adaptability, that boosts its stab moves by 1.33 and Boomburst, a 140 bp stab move. This combo alone lets heliolisk even with its somewhat underwhelming special attack do some amazing things, such as:

252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Heliolisk Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Celesteela: 199-235 (50 - 59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Heliolisk Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 192-226 (59.4 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Heliolisk Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 298-352 (98 - 115.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Heliolisk Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 258-304 (36.6 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Heliolisk Boomburst vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 206-244 (32 - 38%) -- 95.3% chance to 3HKO

Most things drop to Boomburst, the few things that dont dislike thunderbolt, and those few that can take both can be volt switched on and become opportunities for lando to break. It also has a decent speed tier and it beats the flying steels with flash fire that wall landorus. Electric/normal has surprisingly good coverage, so the last moveslot can go to whatever, usually for the rare ghost/grounds that can take both of helio's stabs.

:azelf:
Azelf @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Ice Punch
- U-turn
- Trick

I like to have a fast, priotity inmune mon as a catch all revenge killer, able to even beat boosted threats. Most ppl would go to to alakazam, or lati@s, but i think that u turn is a really cool move to have in a scarfer, so i picked azelf. It also has some cool toys due to its large movepool and usable physical attack, such as knock off, drain punch, fire blast/punch and in this case ice punch for dragonite and flyings pre owing ban. At that point i realized that my only special move was eforce (it doesnt learn ice beam), so i just did it full physical.

:magearna: :chansey: :toxapex:
Magearna @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Iron Defense
- Moonblast
- Volt Switch
- Moonlight

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 228 HP / 88 Def / 192 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Teleport
- Wish
- Court Change
- Whirlwind

Toxapex (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Prankster
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Flip Turn
- Recover
- Haze
- Gastro Acid

The defensive core isnt that special, levimag+Pex cover almost everything with counted exceptions, and chans can take almost all special attackers barring psystrikes, which mag can aid with. The few things that are out of the ordinary are the move and item choices on mag and the ev spread on chans. Rocky helmet on mag is to insta beat any gale wings attempt, and iron defence allows it to beat most setup mons that may try to set up on it. The spread on chansey is to maximize special bulk (you'll need it) while not taking 50 from any random u turn, although it might still take an unconfortable amount of damage from random physical attacks from anything with an attack stat higher than 2.

Things you wont like to face include zydog, alowak, a gapdos with clean reads, Regieleki, and ff corv/celes

Byleth

Retirement
Bringing this mon up again because it's been a while and I feel like it's gotten some attention but would like to share my thoughts.

:sm/magearna:

As for the bunny in STAAABmons, this thing has not gotten any better for the metagame and I believe it wasn't properly looked at in the first place, with many arguments to keep it in the tier regarding it's ability to defensively check broken mons at the time (the main offender in AV Regen) which shouldn't have been an argument in the first place is now very much less relevant due to mons such as Latios, Weavile, and Oblivion wing leaving the tier. What should be peaked at more, is its versatility which is extremely dangerous offensively. There are a couple of sets I'll share that I think make Magearna a bit over the top.

Magearna @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Shift Gear / Trick Room (I know how much you guys love TR)

Been toying around with this one lately (and have had it used against me recently) and honestly this thing is nuts. Fairy + Electric is a strong offensive typing that allows it to hit plenty of mons in the tier for neutral damage, and with sheer force on hand quite literally shreds. Focus blast annihilates common steels in the tier such as Ferrothorn, Heatran, Steelix, and Excadrill. Chansey and AV Magearna to a degree can handle this set admittedly, but outside of that you are pressed to finding logical answers for this set (lets be real, who in the world is running VA pex/moltres in STAAAB). This is something offensive teams wouldn't even be privileged of due to answering due to the specific answers and this mon abusing shift gear.

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire / Levitate
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast / Fleur Cannon
- Stored Power / Thunderbolt / Aura Sphere
- Pain Split / Moonlight

While probably less problematic than the set above, Magearna serves an extremely important defensive role as well, which trades the ability to shred offense for a sturdy steel that can essentially pick what it loses to via Flash Fire/ Levitate and its coverage options. This set can act as a nice late game win con as well due to using Chansey as set up bait or to gain free hp through pain split and spamming calm mind in its face. Essentially this becomes a really dumb balance breaker provided that you can tailor it almost exactly for what your team needs.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Doom Desire
- Volt Switch
- Moonblast
- Ice Beam / Sunsteel Strike / Energy Ball / Whatever

Let's now think about WHY this mon kept other broken mons in check. Steel fairy is hands down one of the best typings you can get which scored a ton of resists to types such as ice, fairy, immunity to dragon and poison (and toxic), while having only 2 weaknesses which meant you could often eat neutral hits just fine or to scout very easily. And Magearna is certainly no slouch on it's defenses either. Doom Desire is a really powerful pressuring tool that helps it exert pressure when you pair it with a breaker such Lando-I, Skewda, Zapdos-G, and more. On top of that it has the ability to just pivot out on volt switch while threatening a lot of volt blockers with just Moonblast or whatever you choose to put in the 4th slot. This mon is a pain to deal with to the point where many builds have ran magpull for it because it is honestly just extremely annoying to wear down and straight up blanket checks a lot of special attackers such as Eforce Psychics, Noivern, and opposing Magearna while still having an annoying offensive presence unlike that of say, Chansey.

Magearna @ Weakness Policy/Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce / Triage / Magic Guard
EVS: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe OR 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest / Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss / Focus Blast / Aura Sphere
- Stored Power
- Shift Gear / Iron Defense

This set still works in STAAAB and can send a Whirlwind Chansey or insert any other phaser into a wrench with magic bounce to possibly grant more set up opportunities. As with other formats, the main check to a set like this would be steels but then Magearna can just theoretically run fighting coverage over Draining Kiss to fix that issue. Triage Draining Kiss means you can run Iron Defense which removes the ability for mons like Lando I and Garchomp to actually revenge you properly and Stored Power is there to capitalize on the many times Magearna is able to grab set up opportunities due to its beneficial typing and Weakness Policy.

Magearna @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability / Regenerator
EVS: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon / Focus Blast
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Notice the pattern of me listing Chansey as a good Magearna answer (which it is) due to its ability to usually cripple offensive variants and requiring support to break it. Now this is where Chansey isn't even fool proof, as this set is extremely hard to switch into outside of dedicated checks like Chansey, previously mentioned Volt Absorb Moltres/Pex...which you just cripple with Trick. Specs Magearna is a free tool to momentum for volt turn teams to abuse with just about anything blocking it falling to a coverage move or getting crippled. For reference, check some of these cool ground types:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Magearna Fleur Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 331-390 (91.6 - 108%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Magearna Fleur Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Swampert: 360-424 (89.1 - 104.9%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magearna Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Steelix: 406-478 (114.6 - 135%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Magearna Fleur Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 382-450 (89.6 - 105.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Oh yeah, and uh. Specs Fleur Cannon is a nuke to say the least, in which it still applies decent pressure after the drop to where it can ensure that vs non resists they can't even set up.
-2 252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Magearna Fleur Cannon vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Landorus: 280-330 (87.7 - 103.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (example of a mon that would try to capitalize on weakened Magearna).

And these aren't even the only Magearna sets since this thing's potential is pretty much without much constraint when it comes to sets. I say a lot of this in hopes that this mon is considered in the near future because to put it frankly, it has absolutely 0 consistent counters across all of its possible sets and can be built to play around the checks it has relatively easily, and doesn't really have a reason to stay in the tier. I apologize if this seems like rambling to you because it is now like night time but yeah I just wanted my thoughts out after being given a little nudge to post this. As of right now, this is the mon that sticks out to me the most but otherwise STAAAB has been getting a lot better balance wise.

Last edited:
Quick update on AAA Doubles Suspect test.

suspect 2.png
Congratulation to txitxas for getting the req of the suspect test! Furthermore, I would also announce that you can use replay as an alternative req for this suspect test. Therefore, Young Killer and AV Cosmoem also qualify for it.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1294094517
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1296117871

While @grumpee did win one AAA Doubles suspect tournament, they have not yet joined at least two of them, so grumpee won't qualify until they do so. Also, I didn't find any proof of ssss@defrrvdd qualifications so they won't count towards it.

Posting for STABmons Ubers

:ss/calyrex-shadow:
Calyrex-Shadow @ Life Orb
Ability: As One (Spectrier)
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Astral Barrage
- Psystrike
- Ice Beam
This is one of problematic mons in STABmons Ubers. It gains Grass and Ice move from its Base forme and Ice forme respectively, that grant it coverage against Yveltal and Tyranitar. Sleep Powder can even cheese through both of them. I hope to see this mon banned soon...

:ss/kartana:
Kartana @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power Whip
- Sunsteel Strike
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
Paper cut. Power Whip is used here due to lack of recoil; Kartana has low HP, when combined with Uber's large pool of HP, makes the recoil from Wood Hammer detrimental. Try using it against Choice Specs Kyogre for example, Kartana is taking around 40% recoil from Wood Hammer (not counting the Life Orb recoil).

:ss/zamazenta-crowned:
Zamazenta-Crowned @ Rusted Shield
Ability: Dauntless Shield
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Def / 104 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Anchor Shot
- Psychic Fangs.
This is only a meme strat... The speed is invested to speed creep Kartana. You can go for 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 Spe as alternative.

Ainzcrad

Smile of the Orchid
is a Tiering Contributor
Regarding the Poison Heal ban in AAA.

AAA Ubers, wont ban Pheal for as of now. From the games+feedback i have seen in the tier in terms of Pheal, it isn't banworthy. It doesn't give the stupid amount of utility it does in reg AAA. The things that run Pheal are mostly mons like Xerneas, Tapu Fini, Regigigas and Also Zekrom to a limited extent. The set up sweepers u might think of abusing Pheal (like zekrom for example), prefer Adaptability, their cases like Xerneas who could use it for recovery over time making it hard to break, but with the amount of offensive threads+answers to the mons of doesn't seem broken in my eyes.

ANOTHER ANNOUNCEMENT FOR AAA UBERS
After some thinking, making decisions on my own is Rather difficult+testing is hard. So if u have interest into AAA ubers+want to be council feel free to dm me on discord, Ainzcrad#1034

Last edited:
:calyrex-shadow: STABmons Ubers is suspecting Calyrex Shadow! :calyrex-shadow:

Since this mashup doesn't have a council at the moment, we have decided to run a suspect test in order to determine whether Caly-S stays in the tier or not. For that purpose, we will be holding 8 suspect tours. Reqs will be distributed as follows:

- For tours of 7 or less participants, the winner will receive voting reqs.
- For tours of 8 or more participants, the winner and runner up will receive voting reqs.
- Regardless of tour size, if the winner already has reqs, voting reqs will be passed to the runner up (but not further down)

The first suspect tour will be today's daily tour, which will take place in about 80 minutes from the time of this message being posted.

EDIT: grats to longhiep341 for winning the first suspect tour and to Binacleisthebest for making finals. both get voting reqs!
1616101155043.png
E2: List of people with reqs:
longhiep341
Binacleisthebest
bp scrub
The Dragon Master
ssss@defrrvdd
InvalidOS
Quantum Tesseract
Ainzcrad

The rest of them will be held on the following times:
Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 6PM GMT+1 (1 hour before daily time)
The times for the other 4 tours will be edited into this post as we work them out.

Happy suspecting!

Last edited:
Kris recently added a new rule, 'AAA Restricted Abilities', to Showdown that makes it possible to accurately simulate [Gen 7] Almost Any Ability-based mashups on main again (prior to Gen 8, AAA restricted abilities to native users, rather than banning them outright), as well as, for the first time, making it practical to restrict abilities in other circumstances without trying to use complex bans that can quickly exceed the character limit for tour code rule alterations.

Here is an example of how to adapt existing tour or challenge codes to make use of this new rule (you still need !Obtainable Abilities):-

Code:
/tour new [Gen 7] STABmons, elimination
/tour autostart 10
/tour autodq 4
/tour rules !Obtainable Abilities, 2 Ability Clause, AAA Restricted Abilities, *Comatose, *Contrary, *Fur Coat, *Fluffy, *Huge Power, *Illusion, *Imposter, *Innards Out, *Parental Bond, *Pure Power, *Simple, *Stakeout, *Speed Boost, *Water Bubble, *Wonder Guard, -Archeops, -Dragonite, -Hoopa-Unbound, -Kartana, -Keldeo, -Kyurem-Black, -Terrakion, -Regigigas, -Shedinja, -Slaking, -Zygarde-Base, -Weavile, +Genesect, +Landorus, +Metagross-Mega, +Naganadel, STABmons Move Legality, -Aerodactyl, -Blacephalon, -Komala, -Porygon Z, -Silvally, -Tapu Koko, -Tapu Lele, -Thundurus-Base, -King's Rock, -Razor Fang, *Acupressure, *Belly Drum, *Chatter, *Extreme Speed, *Geomancy, *Lovely Kiss, *Shell Smash, *Shift Gear, *Spore, *Thousand Arrows
/tour name [Gen 7] STAAABmons

Many thanks to Kris for this great improvement!

STAB Ubers suspect period has finished. The following users got voting reqs:

longhiep341
Binacleisthebest
bp scrub
The Dragon Master
ssss@defrrvdd
InvalidOS
Quantum Tesseract
Ainzcrad
Wrk5646

Please vote within the next 2 days by pming me on smogon or on discord.

Ainzcrad — Today at 12:55 PM
Ban Caly shadow

DragonKnightToday at 1:42 PM (longhiep)
As much as I like to see the world burn, Calyrex-S is too much even for me, so I vote ban

wrk5646 — Today at 3:33 PM
ban calyex
*calyrex-shadow

ssss@defrrvdd 2 minutes ago
ban calyrex shadow

TheDragonMasterToday at 4:08 PM
Voting ban on caly bc it necassasitates 2 checks to it on every team, only yvel or ttar gets broken through eventually

BinaclePinnacleToday at 6:52 PM
pming for the sustest
ban caly-s

[19:56] +Quantum Tesseract: put me down as dnb tho

EDIT: With 6/9 eligible users voting ban we have reached a 66% majority. Calyrex-Shadow is thus BANNED from STABmons Ubers. Thank you to everyone who participated!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)