Tournament OMPL IX - Finals [Won by the Spinda Wheels]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
There are 8 teams this year. Each team has 6 players and at least 2 subs. Managers bought players using the 100k credits in their auction budget. Managers were allowed to purchase themselves at a fixed price of 20k but had to do so before the draft. Teams can win their matchup every week by winning 4 of the 6 matches that their players have to play.​
The tier lineup this year is as follows:​
  1. SS Almost Any Ability
  2. SS Balanced Hackmons
  3. SS Camomons
  4. SS Mix and Mega
  5. SS NFE
  6. SS STABmons
All games will be played on the Pokemon Showdown main server or SmogTours in the most current version of the format corresponding to those listed above. The result between players may be decided in a best-of-one (Bo1) or best-of-three (Bo3) at the discretion of both players involved. If there is no agreement, the match will default to a Bo1.​
Points distributions per round:​
> Win (4-6 or 5-1): 2 points​
> Loss (1-5 or 2-4): 1 point​
> Draw (3-3): 1 point​
In addition, the manner in which the round has been won will also be recorded i.e. the difference between a team's wins and losses in a specific week's round (referred to as "Win Differential").​
Playoffs:​
Each team will play one another for seven weeks. Based on the final standings, the top 4 teams will enter a Playoffs Round to determine the teams appearing in the finals.​

Tiebreaker
In the event of two teams being tied for a spot in the finals based on points and win differential, or a tie in the final round itself, we will have a tiebreaker round(s).​

Tiebreaker Rules: One metagame will be picked by each manager with the higher seed picking second. The third format will be determined at random by the hosts. All three metagames must be unique, so no format can be picked twice.​

Substitutes
Substitutes are to be used in the case of extenuating circumstances, whether on the first day of the week, or the last. At the same time, players should be relatively well-aware of who all are available to play in the opponent's camp. If last minute substitutes are being frequently used or abused and the hosts find explanations unsatisfactory, the hosts still reserve the right to veto them. In order to further prevent this being the case teams are only granted a maximum of two substitutes per week. Any substitutions after the second will be vetoed.​

Trades
The hosts have decided to not include trades this year due to reasons outlined in this thread - all roster decisions are final.​

Scheduling
Scheduling should be done on Smogon Profile walls, plain and simple:​
  • If there is no communication on Smogon Profile walls and a game goes undone, it will be left to the RNG to decide the winner
  • If there is communication on only one user's behalf, the win will go to them. Feel free to call activity in this thread beforehand
  • If there is a very healthy back and forth regarding potential times and one user is a no-show, a manager may take the opportunity to sub out the no-show competitor; if this is not done, the user that showed up responsibly will be awarded the win.
TL;DR: Post on your opponent's Smogon wall, schedule your matches, and be reliable. If you can't play for any reason, let your manager know so they can sub you out ASAP.​
Use these posts as a place to initiate discussion about bo1 or bo3 as well!

Sportsmanship
Exhibitions of unsportsmanlike conduct with regards to the Other Metagame Premier League will be met with an infraction at the discretion of the OMPL host/OM mods. This is unlikely to include interactions within a team's private chat unless there is reason found to make an exception. This rule is meant to protect other users from being publicly flamed/bashed/provoked by another competitor for the duration of and following the tournament.​
All players must complete their matches by the given deadline. Any incomplete matches by that time will be subject to an activity decision (MAKE SURE YOU POST ON YOUR OPPONENT'S WALL); otherwise, they will be decided via !pick publicly in the OM Room. All matches should ideally be done on your most notable alt (the one you registered for OMPL with) to avoid confusion and all match replays must be saved and posted in this thread. The replays will be archived in a separate thread, and will be used to calculate usage stats.​

Substitutions & Lineups
Managers, if you wish to make any substitutions, you must post here tagging both the player you're subbing out, the player you're subbing in, the manager and assistant manager of the opposing team, the substitute's opponent, and all of the hosts (Kris, Think, Sectonia). This is to assure that everyone is in-the-loop and that the OP is updated accordingly to reflect the new match-up.​
Managers, when you send in lineups, please send it in with the tier and Smogon username of each player fully written out for ease of transcription, following these guidelines exactly.​

Matchups

:jolteon: The Five-Star Jolteons (Ransei and Racool) - [2][4] - The Spinda Wheels (xavgb and Jordy) :spinda:
SS Almost Any Ability: motherlove vs Fc
SS Balanced Hackmons: Smove_$wag vs xavgb
SS Camomons: Euphonos vs Mossy Sandwich
SS Mix and Mega: Quantum Tesseract vs Fardin
SS NFE: S1nn0hC0nfirm3d vs tlenit
SS STABmons: The Immortal vs Plas

Deadline:
11:59 PM (GMT -4) on August 8th, 2021

Last edited:

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
a loser's OMPL BH Review: The Playoffs
The playoffs featured two matchups that, at first glance, looked favored for particular players. This is always a tricky situation, especially in a meta where so much can happen and one right or wrong step in teambuilding can help decide the match. We'll get into the games and see who was a winner and who was a loser.

Smove_$wag vs a loser
Team preview shows a near mirror match with both sides repping Kyu-B, Type: Null, Tapu Fini, and Lunala. Perhaps I was too inspired by my opponent's strategies when prepping?

Things get started pretty slowly with his Type: Null pivoting around and having it's moves bounced back by my Zama-C. I paralyze a couple of his guys only to have them negated by Heal Bell, and then this happens.
The opposing YES HONEY used Parting Shot!
[In The Flowers's Soundproof]
It doesn't affect In The Flowers...
In The Flowers used Anchor Shot!
(The opposing YES HONEY lost 53% of its health!)
The opposing YES HONEY can no longer escape!
The opposing YES HONEY is switched out with the Eject Button!
I think I got trigger happy here when I saw he brought Parting Shot, as I planned for, but wasn't expecting him to bring the same Eject Button tech he'd used against me in previous test games. This definitely bailed him out of a tough situation that made it near impossible for my Kyu-B to sweep, as Kartana was supposed to get rid of the Prankster mon. Not all was lost though, as I still had my interesting Quiver Dance PH Tapu Fini that was putting in a surprising amount of work. Things were looking slightly better until Fini came in to face Blacephalon when both of us switched out to break a stalemate between Lunala and Type: Null. I decided to click Scald to go for damage and chip, as I figured he'd probably Volt Switch or just manually switch out, but instead he uses Thousand Waves and proceeds to stall me out with Normalize Entrainment. Looking back, QD was the clear play here as he didn't have a ton of counterplay to Fini. After that, I had no real ways to break through his Parting Shot core other than to hope he misplayed.

I was happy with my prep work here, but that Eject Button interaction kinda threw me and I ended up making some questionable plays later on in the battle. I could have used my team much smarter, especially Tapu Fini but also Zama-C to bounce back some Strength Saps and such. Normalize Blace though... pretty cringe.

xavgb vs XxSevagxX
Team Preview here shows stresh bringing a similar looking core to the one he brought Week 1 against sevag, with Zyg-C, Tina, Xern, and Ho-Oh all showing back up. sevag has retooled a bit more this time, only bringing back Etern and Don who are joined by an interesting core of Ho-Oh, Ferrothorn, and Dusclops.

sevag starts of by activating PH Fini's Toxic Orb and proceeds to Rapid Spin away the Spikes Zyg-C set while stresh anticipated a Protect move. Zyg-C brings Xern in on a Volt Switch and sevag brings in Ho-Oh to eat a Boomburst and quickly switches to PrimSea Ferrothorn in anticipation of coverage. stresh doesn't reveal coverage but rather brings back in Zyg-C, who Spikes again but gets them bounced back when sevag sends Ho-Oh back in. sevag makes a nice play here to send in Groudon on the Volt Switch and then stresh, not seeing that Don was moldy, sends in Giratina who gets hit by Toxic. Don leaves after this but returns a couple turns later off a Tapu Fini Flip Turn, and here it is facing Zama-C. stresh decides to keep Zama-C in and use Court Change, maybe predicting Glacial Lance for Zyg-C, but Don just kills it with Precipice Blades. It seems like any other play would have been better here, namely a switch to Imposter Chansey. Don is forced out by Xern next, but Xern predicts this and land a Nuzzle on the incoming Ferrothorn. Ferro is then forced out by DesoLand Ho-Oh, who hits sevag's Eternatus surprisingly hard with V-create and gets rocks up too. While it got rocks up, Etern did put it on a timer with Toxic and was going to cripple it further with Trick, but ends up giving its Black Sludge to a switched-in Imposter Chansey instead. stresh brings Xern back in and 2HKOes a chipped Ferrothorn thanks to the entry hazards. Now Xern is looking problematic for sevag, and in a bit of desperation has to bring in Tapu Fini to spin away the hazards and take a ton of chip in the process. Xern keeps clicking Boomburst and annoys sevag's team until it becomes clear he doesn't have coverage for Ho-Oh outside of Nuzzle. Things get much worse for stresh when he sends Imposter in to face Magic Bounce Ho-Oh, a set that is rarely seen without Anchor Shot, and gets trapped with Black Sludge chip to boot. Feeling defeated, stresh says gg and then crit-kills Eternatus with a V-create from his own Ho-Oh. This was unfortunate, but not nearly enough for stresh as Groudon's Jolly nature comes in handy to clean up Xerneas and seal the deal for sevag.

Sevag's team was interesting looking and had some strange tech, but the Mold Breaker Band Don with Toxic is a neat set that punishes fat mons like Giratina that are normally capable of forcing it out in some way. Outside of Xern and the surprisingly strong Ho-Oh, I think stresh's team was a little too passive but also not sound enough defensively as it crumbled to Toxic and Groudon.

Metagame Observations
Groudon continues to put in very solid work. It hits basically the entire meta really hard and only lacks a bit of special defense otherwise it would be even more of a pain to deal with. Hey, at least it isn't PDon. Xern also remains a top tier threat with Pixilate sets still being very splashable on teams and even offensive PH with Spore has been on the rise lately.

Upcoming Match
Smove_$wag vs xavgb - This isn't the finals match most of us would have envisioned, but here we are. TTTech is putting together a nice OMPL debut and is generally a very solid player that is tough to beat. stresh was proving impossible to beat until last week, when he finally lost to sevag who has been playing very well lately. I think this will be a very interesting game and it might come down to who recruited who to see which side has the better prep and teambuilding. I give an edge to stresh here, based on experience and overall skills, but this could easily go either way.

berry

what kind
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
jolteons vs spindas

aaa: motherlove vs fc
motherlove has never really beena giant john, getting his match done this week on a pretty delectable friday. anyone who has some pre-weekends under their belt is a winner in my books. however, most of ml's games get done on saturdays and sundays. the same rings true for fc, usually a weekend player with one or two weekdays thrown in. hopefully the 04 in his old name didn't represent how many weeks i have to wait for this game. seeing how in week 4 the fc-ml game was also on a saturday, i'd say it's a pretty safe bet these players take advantage of their time and play pretty close to the deadline. since there are two saturdays to pick from, i'm expecting this game to happen on Saturday, August 7th.

bh: smove vs xavgb
if you think this game is happening before the deadline, you're completely wrong. the ultimate clown coward xavgb will probably john his way into obtaining a whole THIRD weekend after the 7th to play this game, with the game going to 1000 turns and requiring a reschedule to complete on the following sunday, just minutes before the deadline (this isn't even accounting for mr. gameboy's frequent internet outages, which could possibly delay this another month). not expecting this game to happen anytime before Sunday, August 15, and maybe even the 22nd.

camo: euphonos vs mossy
euphonos seems like type of guy who has a schedule where he plans all of his pokemon matches publicly by sending a schedule to his opponents. wait. he is that type of guy. considering the fact that the schedule only reaches until the 31st right now (and all of the time until then is blocked off as "most likely not available", i can't expect to see this match happening this weekend. however, in the past couple weeks, euph has a couple of pokemon-related schedule events on saturdays, so that's a pretty good guess. last time these fools faced was on a sunday as well, so i'm expecting a weekend game on Saturday, August 7th.

mnm: qt vs fardin
fardin's avatar gives me xavgb-related scheduling ptsd. anyone with the bonsly avatar is a menace to the deadline. the fact that he has to wait for stresh to be available to post his win (which can only happen on sundays) makes me very sure that this is going to be a sunday game. absolutely no hope for the spindas. qt is a late week player too, so expecting this on Sunday, August 8th.

nfe: beauts vs tlenit
i once accidentally called beauts "beets". but here's a fun story. my summer internship is based in agriculture, and one of the crops we're growing are beets - on our planting plan one of the varieties' estimated harvest date is august 4th, while the other is the 14th. obviously i hope my good friend beets isn't a dirty john, so i'll go with the earlier estimate. my good friend beets is also the proud owner of a WEDNESDAY GAME!!!! i'm so extremely proud of them for playing so far before the deadline. it turns out august 4th is also a wednesday, what a great coincidence! (or as TheCoastsOfToast would say, coinky-dink!). putting all of my chips on wednesday, August 4th. this pair also agreed to play a thursday (!!!) game a couple weeks ago for zupl, so i have high hopes for an early weekday game.

stab: ti vs plas
two bad ol' weekend players. ti's probably too busy with his seven figure job to fit mr plasmagby into the schedule in between high volume cryptocurrency trades, coding pokemon showdown's replacement, and competing for the judo gold medal in the 2021 Tokyo olympics. he's a bit of a weeb, so we know he wouldn't miss it for the world. plas has a last minute tendency as well, so i think a reasonable estimate is right before the deadline of Sunday, August 8th.

Osake

Hasta Siempre
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
SS Almost Any Ability: motherlove vs Fc power given by loving his mother is insane and Football Clubs haven't been really good this year so easy win for motherlove
SS Balanced Hackmons: Smove_$wag vs xavgb swag and money are the truth in this rotten world
SS Camomons: Euphonos vs Mossy Sandwich what's better than a midnight snack during a camo game ?
SS Mix and Mega: Quantum Tesseract vs Fardin QT's name looks scary but it's been eight weeks that I don't know how to pronounce Fardin's name
SS NFE: beauts vs tlenit beauts is the purest name I've ever seen it sounds so good, beauts cannot lose
SS STABmons: The Immortal vs Plas being immortal sounds annoying af but it makes you look like Zeus

Conclusion : Sorry for Spindas but you have 0 chance to win that, you're facing a beautiful immortal god that love his mother and has money and swag, and your only weapon is a sandwich...

berry

what kind
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
ok time for my actual predicts

:jolteon: Jolteons vs Spindas :spinda:

AAA: motherlove 40 / 60 fc: two of the better aaa players in this tour are matched up in finals, and i'm honestly super pleased with this mu. one of motherlove's two losses comes from fc in week 4 with an honestly messy game, with a pretty dominating performance from fc. motherlove seems to be overall the more skilled player with a higher ceiling of meta knowledge, but that only takes you so far vs xavgb teambuilding and support. excited to see a close game with interesting techs from both sides. (honestly, kinda sad that that unburden metagross didn't work out!)

BH: smove 25 / 75 xavgb
really a no brainer, and probably the most one sided mu of the finals. i think pdt summed this up perfectly in his post in last week's thread, saying that xavgb is just overall the most consistent bh player that can adapt and avoid micro-mistakes better than anyone else. considering that xavgb's only loss so far is vs the by far other-best player in the tour and smove is only sitting at 3-1 (with two of his wins vs two of the more unimpressive performances in this ompl, pdt and sugar AND his win vs loser being because of a complete unset), i don't really see this going to smove, especially because i think xavgb will have the skill to outmaneuver the decently high potential of gimmick sets.

CAMO: euph 65 / 35 mossy
euph has been on a bit of a roll, picking up wins vs top camo players like geerat in the last couple weeks, really building his momentum into the finals. mossy won the matchup in the regular season with a pretty dominating stall-ish performance being able to survive the onslaught of euphonos' offense. I don't expect euphonos to bring a pick like that again, especially not in finals because he now knows that mossy is a semi competent camo player, at least with the help he's been getting on spindas.
note: i have learned that mossy is actually one of spindas' main camo builders, which makes his wins more impressive (especially w/ the skill of being able to build a solid defensive core that was able to survive euphonos' 6 points of offense). still think this goes to euphonos though, but take my margins more liberally on this one.

MNM: qt 40 / 60 fardin
i have to say, fardin really blossomed this tour. he was able to bring consistent and impressive wins to nearly every week of the regular season, only dropping a game to qways near the end. qt on the other hand, swapped between bh and mnm, picking up wins in both vs some of the top competition. i know for a fact that qt plays more games and will probably have a half dozen games of practice going into this, but i think he's voiced his discontent with being one of the sole builders on the jolteons, a team that i feel struggles with prepping due to ransei not really playing the main oms at the highest level and not being able to give that next level of manager support. will be close, but i'm giving it to fardin slightly.

NFE: beauts 50 / 50 tlenit
i'm really clueless in nfe, not going to lie. it's probably the meta i've paid the least attn to throughout this ompl. i know both of these players are talented, but i can't really give it to one or the other. i think this'll come down to who has more micro consistency and better ideas in building if they decide to veer off nfe standard.

STAB: ti 55 / 45 plas
two great talented players. ti has really shone throughout this season, proving that he wasn't just an ompl 1 boomer like we thought. i think this really comes down to prep, and again, who can pull off more consistency when they're playing. i think TI has shown that he just slightly edges out plas as a player, but it all depends on what they actually decide to bring.

pic related

Last edited:

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
bro xavgb i wrote a whole fuckin paragraph calling you pokemon jesus last week and then you immediately lost get your act back together right this fucking instant you better win or there is going to be massive problems

Plas chadman @chadmagby who tf this guy thinks he is ??? can’t even win one game

Redflix

Forgiven and Hanged
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Playoffs eulogies

The Zoomer Zeraoras

The Zeraoras were managed by fairly strong but inexperienced duo of redflix + loser. Since b/w the two they could support or play 3 tiers at a high level, this pair was to watch out for. Going into the draft , A loser was the playing manager which was a good move considering bh players always go high in auction.
The Zoomers got the first nom of the draft and they proceeded to nom Sylveon which wasnt surprising. What was surprising though was the fact that they got him for a massive amount of 34k. While geerat was undeniably the best player in the pool, there were some questions regarding his activity and the fact that spending 34k for just 1 player is always risky made it seem like a not so great start for the zoomers draft. They then proceeded to buy vivalospride for stab which was another good pick but this time for an understandable price. Osake was their next pick , making it clear that the geerat would be playing camo. Osake was an up and coming aaa player , who recently made finals of aaa open but there were concerns regarding his playing abilities and team picks and this overall made it a sub par pick for a very tough aaa pool. Leo + hys were bought for a relatively cheap price of 8.5k to complete the nfe slot by redflix , altho the duo which was coming from a negative record campaign in UMPL. This , combined with the fact that leo's claim about not tryharding made this pick questionable in eyes of some nfe mains who weren't too high on this core. A relatively new face to bh, A touch of crazy was then stolen from xavgb's for bh support for a fair price of 4500. With 5/6 slots being accommodated , the zoomers only needed a mnm player which came in form of tectonic destroyer. This pick certainly had some people losing their minds as tect had no official gen8 mnm experience and was a cringe lord, two things u definitely dont want from ur starter. Redflix rounded off the auction by buying Maxomega and Karl Dude Guy for a backup stab/mnm/camo player altho his last pick created controversy as he chose to not buy an additional player, which irked a lot of people.
Setting aside the overpay and the wierd decision of not having an additional pick, The zoomers were ranked on the bottom half of teams as their AAA/MnM and NFE (mostly for the mainers) were doubtful picks and they didnt have much support for viv in stab as well.

1627852797626.png

Zoomers started their early campaign strongly, as they managed to be undefeated with 1 win until week 5. Leo almost repeated his last year performance (LEO KOOL AID BABY) and went 6-1 altho he did get slightly lucky + dodged hoen week1. Geerat and Loser also performed consistently and boasted a fairly strong record of 5-2. Due to 3/6 slots performing consistently for them , the zoomers managed to tie majority of their weeks thus keeping them in the upper half of scoreboard through out. Their AAA slot , however , wasnt as great. Osake only managed to go 2-5 in AAA , as his nervousness of playing his first team tour got the best of him, resulting in some unfortunate losses. It should be noted though that his wins were against jrdn and rozes respectively , the two top ranked aaa players. MnM slot of Zoomers was also not super impressive. Even though Tect managed to get a record of 3-5 which is fairly decent for a 3k pick , he also lost in the worst mnm game this ompl and generally could've played a bit better in his losses. The biggest problem for the Zoomers though was their Stabmons slot which only managed to get 1 win through out the season. Vivalospride could not repeat his strong performance of last year like his teammate leo and generally struggled with plays, altho no strong stab support was definitely a contributor to this unfortunate record.

Zoomers went into semis after beating the boomers and were matched with jolteons. Similar to week 1 , a tie could've been very likely but jolts had other plans as they managed to draw the first blood by winning BH , a slot they were the underdog in. With both their aaa and mnm slot losing and only leo managing to get a win, zoomers were in a tough position and had to fight for a tie. With the zoomers season relying on their two most expensive buys, it def was surprising and somewhat ironic when jolts sealed their finals spot with a victory over their 34k buy with help of unfortunate irl circumstances for geerat and knocked them out.
Overall , the zoomers definitely surprised quite a few people by making playoffs. The top three picks were the driving force altho it should be noted that both osake and tect also clutched when it was important esp in week 3 , where they won the week without either loser or geerat playing.
Their stabmons slot was a mess throughout though and wins their could've def converted some ties into wins but in the end reliance on their main 3 buys + inconsistency amongst the other two slots lead to loss in semis and their elimination.

The Temper Tyrantrums

The tyrantrums franchise returned once again with OM taking the charge as usual and Chazm as a surprising new face for the team. Chazm didnt have the best season as manager last year but with OM , who had managed multiple times and had made playoffs in plenty , things were looking great. Chazm was an obvious buy as he could play and support both MnM and Camo at a high level.
The trums started their draft solidly and bought Sevag for a fair price of 18k for bh , a tier both managers had little experience in. Altho sevag was relatively a new face , he was coming off a great bh open run - making it to finals and had a very strong understanding of the metagame, which lead to him being considered the top 2 bh pick in the draftable pool. They then proceeded to buy skysolo aka the strap for 18k. Skysolo was generally seen as the best nfe player by most of the nfe community, however 18k for a nfe slot definitely feels a bit off, considering the pool in itself is quite strong. Nevertheless, this meant trums had 3 very solid picks and were looking a top tier team already. Their draft then was boosted by getting anaconja was 3k which was a massive steal imo. Anaconja with chazm support was a great combination and was one to waatch out for. Trums then decided to buy Fissure and MZ for their STABmons and AAA slot respectively. While fissure in stab was a fair pick as he could easily go slightly positive considering the pool. getting MZ was a "?". While MZ was a strong player, his past performances and inactivity in gen8 raised some doubts especially considering the strong aaa pool. Tyrantrums then ended their draft by getting 23Gz for camo support , Hidden for STAB , Lph for bh and ivar for both aaa and bh support. All these players were relatively new to the community but were decent picks as potential subs.
This draft was fairly strong and rated high by a lot of users and Tyrantrums were seen as the favorites to reach playoffs along with spindas and alcremists thanks to their strong lineup.

1627852863808.png

The tyrantrums had a roller coaster of regular season where they struggled in early weeks. Sevag impressed in his first ompl , managing to get the second best bh record in the whole tour and only losing to stresh and loser. MZ also returned to his winnng ways and definitely proved a lot of doubters wrong this season , amassing a 5-3 record with some good wins against strong aaa players. Skysolo was on the same ride as their team as they was looking like a huge overpay in earlier weeks but managed to get their act together and overall ended up being positive and getting crucial wins for the team in the latter half of the tour . Fissure too had a comeback of his own, getting a 4-4 record after a rough start. Anaconja had an opposite season as he started with a strong undefeated record in the first three weeks (including a win over siamato) but then was only able to get a single win in the remainder of the tour. While most of the trums had an even or slighty positive season, their mnm slot wasnt as lucky. Chazm struggled throughout the regular season - from bringing webs week 1 to sacking heatran vs derpyboi. There were some glimpse of him finding his groove back when he managed to take the win off qways by bringing a solid team but his plays and team in semis and tb were questionable.

The tyrantrums had a revival after week 5 and were able to make playoffs after a dominating win over wigglies, knocking them out in the process. Due to this momentum created by them in the later weeks, they had a strong shot against the season favourites Spindas in semis. Their two most expensive buys delivered as both the strap and sevag won where sevag also managed to take stresh's undefeated record in the process. They ultimately secured a tie after MZ saved the season with a win over fc in aaa. Trums decided to pick nfe as their tier which was a bit confusing as they could've very well went for camo and slotting chazm in there considering spindas camo slot wasnt exactly their strong point. With nfe/mnm/stab as the decided tiers, things didnt go their way and they ended up losing 2-0 to tlenit and fardin thus ending their season.
Tyrantrums definitely were a strong team on paper and after struggling initially, they had a solid comeback where most of their players delivered which can be easily seen when u look at their records. It was a well drafted team by both of their managers and props to OM for making playoffs again. The only thing they couldve done better is imo prob choose camo in tb and maybe not bring webs in a season decider but overall strong showing from them.

S/o to Zoomers for being an awesome team - i loved the environment each of u created. Big thanks to loser for agreeing to managing with me and helping me throughout with ur goated suggestions. Wanna apologise to Maxomega for not being able to make u play a game, couldve definitely fit one week 5 or 6 and thats on me but thanks for helping whenever u could. Wont do eulogy for the runner up but gl to both teams, racool winning it all after asking for who to draft 15 mins before would be funny but xavgb's have been mad consistent so this should be a fun watch.

Ren

i swore lips were made for lies
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So you guys played ridiculously early and before I had a day off the last two weeks and it wasn't worth posting predicts because of that :( I have predicts for this last week, though! I'll be predicting in favor of the person most likely to win a chess match + I'll do some real predicts in a hide tag too since both were well received.

The Five-Star Jolteons (Ransei and Racool) - [2][4] - The Spinda Wheels (xavgb and Jordy)
SS Almost Any Ability: motherlove vs Fc - motherlove's probably engineered his brain to work like Beth Harmon's. As a result, he's got incredibly high odds of winning (if you haven't seen Queen's Gambit, you should.)
SS Balanced Hackmons: Smove_$wag vs xavgb - I have it on good authority (like one Smogon user?) that stresh is an actual God at chess and as a result I cannot predict against him here.
SS Camomons: Euphonos vs Mossy Sandwich - Based on the gameplay I've seen, I'm led to believe that both these users would constantly try and sack their pieces and neither would actually take them. Mossy would probably be the first to figure out a way to win
SS Mix and Mega: Quantum Tesseract vs Fardin - I feel like QT either plays a dumb amount of chess or hasn't touched a board in his life, and there's no in between. I'm leaning more towards the former, though, and in that case I have to go with him here off experience and also because Fardin made me sad by not qualifying for OLT.
SS NFE: Sinnoh Confirmed vs tlenit - I'm having a hard time believing that the person who couldn't select the proper characters for his username would be able to use the pieces properly. Tlenit is also probably good at chess. I feel like he's actually Ludwig.
SS STABmons: The Immortal vs Plas - They'd just play checkers instead and Plas would probably win there.

The Five-Star Jolteons (Ransei and Racool) - [2][4] - The Spinda Wheels (xavgb and Jordy)
SS Almost Any Ability: motherlove vs Fc - I'm actually super excited for this game, I'm expecting it to be a showstopper. Both people behind the teams here absolutely want to win, and motherlove's builds are always incredible. They're really unique and strong in a way that's just him, and he just makes his stuff work. This is finals, too, from someone who afaik doesn't have a win in their belt? Stresh on the other hand is spread really thin, but he's had more than just a week to prepare Fc's team so I'm expecting something incredible on either side. This is one of the many highlight matches of the week, you don't want to miss it. I'm leaning motherlove here, but it can go either way and I'm really excited to see how this plays out.
SS Balanced Hackmons: Smove_$wag vs xavgb - I'm not expecting much here. Smove is a friend, but he hasn't really impressed me when he played? He's playing stresh, though, who got outprepped pretty strongly by Sevag, and Sevag is probably helping Smove. I still think stresh is the stronger player, but I'm expecting this to either be a very dry game that's decided in the builder or a game where someone's just outclassed. Gonna give this to stupid brocoboy, but Smove can still win this.
SS Camomons: Euphonos vs Mossy Sandwich - I'm not really excited to see this Camomons pairing in finals, honestly. Both players have been putting out fairly dry performances in that nothing's super exciting? I'm expecting that to change, Euph does have a knack for extravagance and it's the finals so I think he'll bring something spicy, and I think he's the better player here. Mossy hasn't been all too impressive and it seems Spindas are destined to struggle in this slot, so I'm gonna give this to Euph.
SS Mix and Mega: Quantum Tesseract vs Fardin - Agreed with RR. Fardin in team tournaments is just so strong, and he's out for blood here. QT won't make it easy, and this is gonna be a game to watch for sure, but I still think Fardin has the edge because QT's very likely to get overwhelmed between preparing for both Fardin and brocoboy.
SS NFE: Sinnoh Confirmed vs tlenit - The second to last highlight game, Tlenit has been great when he doesn't get drunk and misclick, while Sinnoh is also a fairly strong player in his own right. If this is before the week is decided, I'm leaning Tlenit here. If it's after, I'd lean Sinnoh mainly because Tlenit will either be drinking his sorrows away or drinking to his victory in his first OMPL. We'll see where it goes. I know NFE gets a lot of hate right now, but I'm excited to see what these two players do on the finals stage.
SS STABmons: The Immortal vs Plas - I almost didn't predict this one because I had no clue who to bold. TI has been absolutely incredible, and so has Plas. TI's teams have been cool, same with Plas. I feel like the matchup here is likely to be even, I don't think either player will outprep the other significantly. I just think that Spindas have a better position to be in, since they've seen a lot of TI as opposed to the first few weeks where he was a bit of an enigma, and also QT is probably spread thin with his own game and BH help. TI can still definitely pull this off, and I'd go as far to say that this is the game that the week will hang on. Look forward to it.

Take care, good tournament guys. Will the best team win, will the luckiest team win, or will the team that wins get tournament banned for drafting a w0rd alt? Nobody knows. Also, please post scheduled times so we can watch!

That was a pretty tight game, gg Fc https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8almostanyability-1392802724

We're bringing it back Jolts, celebratory mimes wave for the culture

☆・゜゚・MIMEZ WAVE!!・゜゚・☆ KEEP THE COMEBACK GOING ☆・゜゚・LETS GO JOLTS !・゜゚・☆ ⌒(o°‿°o)⌒/

☆・゜゚・MIMEZ WAVE!!・゜゚・☆ KEEP THE COMEBACK GOING ☆・゜゚・LETS GO JOLTS !・゜゚・☆ ⌒(o°‿°o)⌒/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)