Tournament OMPL VIII - Week 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sectonia

But I set fire to the rain
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Art by AmirAlexander
- Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 | Week 6 | Week 7 | Playoffs | Finals -
- Information Thread | Roster | Schedule | Standings | Replays | Usage Stats | Records -
Discussion Thread

How this works
There are 8 teams this year. Each team will have have 6 players and at least 2 subs. The players are bought using the 80k credits that managers receive during the auction. Managers will be allowed to purchase themselves as players for their team at a fixed price of 16k but must assign one assistant manager from their drafted players. This may be done either during the auction or after it. Teams can win their matchup every week by winning 4 of the 6 matches that their players have to play.​
The tier lineup this year is as follows:​
  1. SS Almost Any Ability
  2. SS Balanced Hackmons
  3. SS Camomons
  4. SS Mix and Mega
  5. SS NFE
  6. SS STABmons
All games will be played on the Pokemon Showdown main server or SmogTours in the most current version of the format corresponding to those listed above. The result between players may be decided in a best-of-one or best-of-three at the discretion of both players involved. If there is no agreement, the result will decided in a Bo1 by default.​
Winning a round rewards a team with 2 points, drawing 1 point, and losing zero points. In addition, the manner in which the round has been won will also be recorded i.e. the difference between a team's wins and losses in a specific week's round (referred to as "Win Differential").​
Playoffs:​
Each team will play one another for seven weeks. Based on the final standings, the top 4 teams will enter a Playoffs Round to determine the teams appearing in the finals.​

Tiebreaker
In the event of two teams being tied for a spot in the finals based on points and win differential, or a tie in the final round itself, we will have a tiebreaker round(s).​

Tiebreaker Rules: The most played meta from usage stats plus one metagame picked by each manager will give a best-of-three game between the tied teams, ultimately deciding who goes onto finals. The three games must be different formats, i.e. the remaining two games cannot be the same as the most played metagame, and must be from the list above. Since SS Balanced Hackmons is most likely to be chosen by usage, the decision to play Bo3 or Bo1 is still left upto the players' discretion and bo1 remains by default.​

Substitutes
Substitutes are to be used in the case of "extenuating circumstances" which are unavoidable, whether on the first day of the week, or the last. Moreover, they should generally not be used with a tactical purpose of creating confusion in an opponent's team. At the same time, players should be relatively well-aware of who all are available to play in the opponent's camp. If last minute substitutes are being frequently used or abused and the hosts find explanations unsatisfactory, the hosts still reserve the right to veto them.​

Trades
If teams wish to conduct a trade, both managers (or assistant managers if the manager is not present) MUST PM Ransei and SectoniaServant on the FORUMS to have the trade be official. No trades may occur after the conclusion of week 2. A traded player may only feature in the round after they have been traded.​

Scheduling
Scheduling should be done on VM walls, plain and simple:​
  • If there is no communication on VM walls and a game goes undone, it will be left to the RNG to decide the winner
  • If there is communication on only one user's behalf, the win will go to them. Feel free to call activity in this thread beforehand
  • If there is a very healthy back and forth regarding potential times and one user is a no-show, a manager may take the opportunity to sub out the no-show competitor; if this is not done, the user that showed up responsibly will be awarded the win.
TL;DR: VM your opponents, schedule your matches, and be reliable. If you're not reliable, let your manager know so they can sub you out ASAP.​
Use these VM's to initiate discussion about bo1 or bo3 as well!

Sportsmanship
Exhibitions of unsportsmanlike conduct with regards to Other Metagame Premier League will be met with an infraction at the discretion of the OMPL host/OM mods. This is unlikely to include interactions within a team's private chat unless there is reason found to make an exception. This rule is meant to protect other users from being publicly flamed/bashed/provoked by another competitor for the duration of and following the tournament.​
All players must complete their matches by the given deadline. Any incomplete matches by that time will be subject to activity decision (MAKE SURE YOU POST ON YOUR OPPONENT'S VM WALL); otherwise, they will be decided via !pick publicly in the OM Room. All matches should ideally be done on your most notable alt (the one you registered for OMPL with) to avoid confusion and the replay must be saved and posted in this thread. The replays will be archived in a separate thread, and will be used to calculate usage stats.​

Substitutions & Lineups
Managers, if you wish to make any substitutions, you must post here tagging both the player you're subbing out, the player you're subbing in, the manager and assistant manager of the opposing team, the substitute's opponent, and myself. This is to assure that everyone is in-the-loop and that the OP is updated accordingly to reflect the new match-up.​
Managers, when you send in lineups, please send it in with the tier and Smogon username of each player fully written out for ease of transcription, in exactly the same order as laid out above. I will post instructions about sending the lineup for next week later this week.​

Matchups

The Klink Shamers (Chloe, Pigeons) - [2][4] - The Head Honchkrows (Jrdn, aesf)

SS Almost Any Ability: LaBalladeDesCieux (sub 1) vs aesf
SS Balanced Hackmons: a loser vs highlighter
SS Camomons: DugZa vs Jrdn
SS Mix and Mega: Pigeons vs Redflix
SS NFE: TonyFlygon vs frisoeva
SS STABmons: Betathunder vs Cam

The Malevolent Misdreavuses (Chazm, Euphonos) - [3][3] - The Crown Jewel Corviknights (SBPC, Andyboy)

SS Almost Any Ability: rozes vs Thinkerino
SS Balanced Hackmons: Tack :] vs MAMP
SS Camomons: Euphonos vs MetaRiolu7
SS Mix and Mega: Chazm vs Andyboy
SS NFE: DurzaOffTopic vs Marjane
SS STABmons: w0rd vs Thimo

The Pandemic Parasects
(Catalystic, Sylveon.) - [2][4] - The Spinda Wheels (xavgb, Jordy)

SS Almost Any Ability: Sabella vs xavgb
SS Balanced Hackmons: sugarhigh vs PinkDragonTamer
SS Camomons: Sylveon. vs Hamhamhamhamham
SS Mix and Mega: MultiAmmiratore vs Jordy
SS NFE: 85percent vs King Leo V
SS STABmons: Zesty43 vs vivalospride

The Temper Tyrantrums
(OM, drampa's grandpa) - [3][3] - The Money Magearnas (Funbot28, GL Volkner)

SS Almost Any Ability: Racool vs Dragonillis
SS Balanced Hackmons: Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request) vs dimrah
SS Camomons: Akashi vs Matiss98
SS Mix and Mega: Skysolo vs Fardin
SS NFE: Ho3nConfirm3d vs Crystalites
SS STABmons: Plas vs Funbot28

~ Deadline ~
11:59 PM (UTC -4) on May 3rd, 2020

Last edited:
I understand the Americans are sleeping but no post on this always active/shiposted ompl thread for 3 hours after a new week is released coerced me to do these.......

The Klink Shamers (Chloe, Pigeons) - [3][3] - The Head Honchkrows (Jrdn, aesf)

SS Almost Any Ability: itsKimbo(40) vs aesf (60) - Better player
SS Balanced Hackmons: a loser(60) vs highlighter(40)
SS Camomons: DugZa(25) vs Jrdn(75) - Jrdn is just too good.
SS Mix and Mega: Pigeons(55) vs Redflix(45) - slight edge to pigeons based on gut feeling.
SS NFE: TonyFlygon(49) vs frisoeva(51) - emm, not really sure, friso was lucky last week, but I doubt sans could build for friso cause no data.
SS STABmons: Betathunder(51) vs Cam(49) - Could go either way. See more possibility for honchkrows to win here.

The Malevolent Misdreavuses (Chazm, Euphonos) - [4][2] - The Crown Jewel Corviknights (SBPC, Andyboy)

SS Almost Any Ability: rozes(60) vs Thinkerino(40) -rozes is more proven
SS Balanced Hackmons: Tack :](40) vs MAMP(60) - I thought tack would be a big asset in this tour cause he can play bh and support nfe. But unfortunately both slots are 0 wins till now. Hopefully this will turn around soon for the misdreavuses. MAMP is going strong on the other hand.
SS Camomons: Euphonos(60) vs MetaRiolu7(40) - Think euphonos is slightly better from my almost non-existent knowledge about them.
SS Mix and Mega: Chazm(35) vs Andyboy(65) - Andy does not lose to anyone but xavgb
SS NFE: DurzaOffTopic(55) vs Marjane(45) - yes durza lost both games, but last match was kinda haxy, so thinking he would show atleast some of that 'PICK ME AND I AM GONNA WIPE THE NFE POOL' skills now.
SS STABmons: w0rd(55) vs Thimo(45) - Slight edge.

The Temper Tyrantrums (OM, drampa's grandpa) - [5][0] - The Money Magearnas (Funbot28, GL Volkner)

SS Almost Any Ability: Racool (60) vs Dragonillis (40) -Racool is cool and a big goat.
SS Balanced Hackmons: Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request) (55) vs dimrah(45) - dimrah is freed when volk is doing great. Idk why but i think that might backfire.
SS Camomons: Akashi (60) vs Matiss98(40) - Jeran is a good player.
SS Mix and Mega: Skysolo (60) vs Fardin(40) -Skysolo will see every match as an opportunity to get likes and that motivation alone can get him a win here.
SS NFE: Ho3nConfirm3d (50) vs Crystalites(50) - omg heat match, if this was before ompl started I would have bolded ho3n but crystal really stepped up his game.
SS STABmons: Plas (55) vs Funbot28 (45) - Plas does not make a mess, but he keeps winning.

Super Hyped to play my first ever OMPL game!!! GOOOO SPINDAS!!!

Last edited:
Unbiased NFE Predicts round2
enjoyed doing it last week, doing it again this week, will probably do it the following week
this time you're not allowed to be mad, grow up

SS NFE: TonyFlygon vs frisoeva
VERY Happy with what I saw from Friso last week, not so much with Tony. Friso had a fun team and I always appreciate a Morgrem here and there, they got a bit lucky against Durza but it was later revealed that the Duosion was in fact Stored Power which would've won either way. Not much to say about Tony there wasn't anything really going on last week, I can see the Haunter cteam and where sans' head is about when making that team but I really want the HEAT.

SS NFE: 85percent vs King Leo V
This lineup is what happens when 2 players throw and get benched. This week the 'support' has to play, which works out better for me because I'd rather watch them. What tjay brought last game was interesting I guess, Toxic Orb Linoone... essentially it was the team 85 had brought first week except with worse sets and no momentum. I'd rather not talk about last week actually because yeah but anyway from what I can tell 85 does have a tendency to build fatter teams while Leo builds more towards balance. I don't think Leo has played yet this tour, hopefully something fun will be brought, I'm gonna give 85 the edge this week but it could easily go either way.

SS NFE: Ho3nConfirm3d vs Crystalites
The winner's lounge I'm guessing. Crys has been on a roll so far and I don't want him to not win ever, I've been pleased with what was brought each week and had fun watching him play. I'm excited to see what is brought this week from both players, I don't know how I feel about what I saw from Ho3n last week, Weak Armor Cors being brought was interesting and I guess it had to happen, glad that moment is now over. Ho3n has publicly said that his strategy was to bring 1 meme set each week, if they are all like Weak Armor Corsola then I will never bet for him to win, haha meow.

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
a loser's brief thoughts on week 2 of ompl bh
smash.PNG

smash solgaleo was surprisingly seen three times in four games. it is a pretty cool mon who takes advantage of high eternatus use and more passive pranksters like snorlax. unfortunately for it and its users, it only went 1-2.
haze.PNG

darm-zen was used three times as well, with two of them surprisingly running prankster. this set is not common at all but presents a neat typing for a prank user. darm teams went 2-1 but darm itself didn't accomplish a whole lot maybe outside of volk's.
smash.PNG

using the same image here for shell smash in general. shell smash was seen in all four games and the smash users netted a total of 13 kos, which is 36% of the total kos (this includes when their boosts were hazed or removed as well). smash didn't play a huge role in my game since volk brought some pretty perfect checks for my smashers, but mamp's solgaleo and highlighter's zekrom tore big holes in the opposing teams. who knows what sl42's poison heal grimmsnarl was running but smash on it would have been heat.
gold.PNG

best nicknames goes to me cause at least three of them were perfect thematic matches and they reference a great album. worst nicks are a three-way tie between mamp, pdt, and df-shock since they were too cool for nicknames i guess. nickname-less teams went 1-2.

Fardin

Tournament Banned
As the 3k sub mnm player, i feel qualified to make an accurate prediction for this week, no hate pls

Chazm vs Andy -> both really solid players, but andy is imo much more versatile when it comes to his teams. it's generally something generic, with that 1 slightly uncommon mon, which most of the times makes the difference from an L to a W for him. hopefully he will take luna more seriously than last week tho cause that shit is broke. with chazm, altho he does bring solid stuff, its either a team with 3 meme mons that can sometimes work in a good mu, or just a subpar kind of generic BO he usually brings in every tour. Unless his cheese gets a really good mu, i don't see chazm winning this.

Pigeons vs Redflix -> prior to ompl, i didn't really hear much of redflix, but people told me he spanked a lot of mains during mnm open. Adding to that, he brought some super nice teams vs chazm and stresh and he arguably should've won both thanks to mu. Altho his teams might be up there, playing-wise I think there is a pretty big gap between him and pigeons which might be the deal breaker, but mnm right now rewards matches ups more than playing ability so idk. Redflix might be the better builder and has more experience, but pigeons is one tuff fucker to prep for thanks to his annoying stalls and that solid HO he brought last week. It's really just a toss up, but if match up seems even, Pigeons will take it.

MultiAmmiratore vs Jordy -> this easily favors multi here, so im picking him, but jordy is a nice player as well, and thanks to luna and zera, mnm isn't exactly a meta where mains are that dominant over people who just pick it up days/week before, assuming that they get a solid team. This solid team, in this case, comes from stresh as well, so u just never know. upset wouldnt really be surprising.

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
enjoyed doing it last week, doing it again this week, will probably do it the following week
this time you're not allowed to be mad, grow up
The Klink Shamers (Chloe, Pigeons) - [2][4] - The Head Honchkrows (Jrdn, aesf)
SS Almost Any Ability: itsKimbo vs aesf - Aesf is the coolest fucking person of all time but kimbo got his first dub and I predict he will go on a fuckin killing spree with this momentum. I don't think kimbo can realistically outplay aesf in a million years but kimbo is boutta bring some whack ass shit and mu the fuck out of him.
SS Balanced Hackmons: a loser vs highlighter - I'm a fan of a loser and I've never spoken to highlighter in my LIFE but that's also the case with loserboy. I just vaguely remember him literally being harassed beyond belief to sign up last ompl while a loser was still tryna get some traction in the community. I was leading this up to bolding highlighter but I didn't know what to write for this one and I already did the rest of the predicts in this section, I see it's very one sided so fuck everything I was saying before, loser will win.
SS Camomons: DugZa vs Jrdn - dugza won the activity coinflip vs me in aaa ssnls so I must bold jrdn to avenge me, im sorry brother dugza
SS Mix and Mega: Pigeons vs Redflix - Pigeons is the pif of oms if pif fuckin sucked at laddering, the literal only thing ik about redflix is the fact that hes a ladder hero. Pigeons has the experience for sure but redflix is a pretty sick name and I bet has the superior ladder mindset and will win bc he will be told to ct stall.
SS NFE: TonyFlygon vs frisoeva - Idk friso at all but I've heard they're p good, idk tony v well either but he beat my uupl team last week with his last mon remaining being a flygon just to flex on us like the pos he is. This one week I'm gonna bold against tony to avenge TheCoastsOfToast and Twilight who were defeated by this scoundrel
SS STABmons: Betathunder vs Cam - I exhausted all the alt jokes humanly possible for this matchup last omwc/ompl or whichever it was. However due to the fact that betathunder has a gf and I don't I will bold Cam out of jealousy, envy, and the fact that I'm legally obliged to after our w1 game

The Malevolent Misdreavuses (Chazm, Euphonos) - [3.5][2.5] - The Crown Jewel Corviknights (SBPC, Andyboy)
SS Almost Any Ability: rozes vs Thinkerino - Even tho we lost last week to him, think has still not impressed me at all as a 10k starter on an ompl team in the most competitive pool (probably), rozes is top tier. He beat his uupl opponent last week in like 4 turns, it was insane. Think prolly has more time poured into this meta but I'd imagine due to the nature of rozes's immense brain he is still the superior builder/prepper and definitely the superior battler with more experience.
SS Balanced Hackmons: Tack :] vs MAMP - I haven't spoken to mamp in forever and I kinda miss that guy, this meta fuckin blows tho I've never hated watching pocket monsters games more than all these bh ompl games in my life. Tack seems alright but mamp is indeed the champ and I'd bet my left penis that his voice is far sexier than whatever tack sounds like
SS Camomons: Euphonos vs MetaRiolu7 - The camomons meteorologist lost his one and only game this tour last week, he will not clean sweep. E#, etc. Metal Gear Survive was shitty enough of a video game to where I don't wanna bold this guy on the right for any week simply bc he has "meta" in his name.
SS Mix and Mega: Chazm vs Andyboy - WOOOW what a matchup holy fuck. Jk this is one sided as fuck, someone as skilled as chazm should clean this waste of human life off the bottom of his shoe w/o difficulty. Is what I would say, but I don't really want chazm to win bc his team has been surrounded with controversy due to them being dick tooth mcgees. It pains me to bold Andydinkleberry's name in anything bc it just doesn't seem realistic, but I'll go for it this week.
SS NFE: DurzaOffTopic vs Marjane - I'd bold marjane bc she's my friend and all these predicts are pure bias but I think she actively wants me to shit talk her this week. She's been unleashed into NFE for the first time this tour and she's faced with 0-2 durza, she has the meta knowledge but I've never seen her play pocket monsters in my life. If durza brings wishport he will win, if he doesn't marjane will win bc she will prolly end up w/ matchup. I will go 50/50 on this one bc idk what else to do.
SS STABmons: w0rd vs Thimo - I'm expecting both sides to use one of: sun, rain, trick room sun, trick room sun with screens, or stall with a magnemite. w0rd will win tho I wanna see w0rd win games, no ag slot means seeing thimo's name in a slot doesn't excite me v much.

The Temper Tyrantrums (OM, drampa's grandpa) - [2][4] - The Money Magearnas (Funbot28, GL Volkner)
SS Almost Any Ability: Racool vs Dragonillis - Dragonguy did well in some aaa open or ssnls or something? I don't remember. Racool is cool as always and has supported my endeavors in recent memory so she will surely win and remain absurdly dominant in the aaa pool for whatever reason bc rust is for pussy ass bitches I guess, it seems rain is racool's new blacephalon tho :o
SS Balanced Hackmons: Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request) vs dimrah - idk who dimrah is but if he's not part of the hehe boi alliance I will gladly bold him. I have a phobia of hehe boi alliance members despite 2 being on my team, which is why I've only spoken to PinkDragonTamer all tour. :goomba:
SS Camomons: Akashi vs Matiss98 - This jeran guy probably made the creepiest and cringest post in the history of smogon on the ompl w2 thread, which is saying something for sure since this website is filled to the brim with cringe individuals such as myself. Words cannot accurately convey how badly I want the time it took to read that post back. Matiss will stomp.
SS Mix and Mega: Skysolo vs Fardin - skysolo im convinced is a broken slot in team tours that has little means of being stopped, similar to giants like pdt even tho he sucks donkey dick and lost last week like the tub of lard he is. Mnm isn't ag therefore skysolo and fardin will lose
SS NFE: Ho3nConfirm3d vs Crystalites - Idk either of these people and honestly don't care at all about this mu but at least it's not BH. Crystalguy will win due to having an e in his name that isn't replaced by the number 3.
SS STABmons: Plas vs Funbot28 - Plas is the superior player and will probably win but funbot deserves to win due to plas's teammate (jeran) probably sexually harassing her in dms on a daily basis.

It brings me a lot of joy seeing GL Volkner not playing this week for whatever reason. I hope we get some fun and competitive games in this week and I hope BH is nuked to the ground so I never have to see GL Volkner play ever again.

MAMP

MAMP!
MAMP'S OMPL BH REVIEW: Week 2

GL Volkner vs a loser
replay

As far as I can tell, Volk had a pretty huge matchup advantage here that he mostly leveraged well to win the game. loser's team, while interesting, didn't have the tools to really beat Metronome Kyu-W, V-Create Zacian, and Prankster Darm. I think Volk misplayed by sacking the Darm, but having Imposter in the back and loser losing his Solgaleo and his Dynamax to a surprise V-Create made it all turn out fine. loser's Zacian would have done well had it stuck around, as it would have allowed Reshiram to come out more, it could switch into and force out the Darm, and Volk had nothing that wanted to take a Scald burn. In hindsight a switch to Zacian-C on the Kyurem-W on turn 12 might have been the better play, but with no solid Boomburst switchins loser was in a really rough spot here and the aggressive Scald makes plenty of sense. Despite loser being on the back foot for most of this game, it is still an interesting one in the sense that it very easily could have gone very differently.

Gurpreet Patel (sent you a friend request) vs DF-Shock
replay

No Bo3 this time around, but a mostly fun (albeit haxy) game nonetheless. SL42 brought some more interesting tech this week. His penchant for weird Seismitoad sets comes up again, with a Spikes + Shift Gear PH set that put in quite a bit of work. He also brought a couple of weird defensive mons, Grimmsnarl and Type:Null, both of which did absolutely nothing. A huge factor in this game was DF-Shock's inability to offensively pressure SL42's weird Flare Boost Eternatus. That's the great strength of Eternatus: most of the stuff that switches into it can't actually threaten it, and the stuff that does threaten it is usually slower and often weak to Dynamax Cannon. Although he couldn't actually break DF-Shock's Ice Scales Zamazenta-C, SL42 was able to just keep getting momentum with Eternatus throughout the game. The midgame turned out weird and grindy with 3 layers of Spikes up on both sides, as SL42 couldn't really get through DF-Shock's defensive core, and DF-Shock played perhaps too cautiously with his Electrify Eternatus (which SL42 didn't have a good long-term answer to). In the end, DF-Shock choked away what looked like a winning position by sacrificing his Eternatus and then letting his Zama take a Close Combat. Both players being unable to remove the layers of Spikes made this game stand out quite a bit, so it was an interesting one to watch despite the unfortunately misplayed ending.

MAMP vs pinkdragontamer
replay

First thing's first: after this match, a lot of people tore into pdt and stresh for bringing a team with no Prankster, and then losing to a Shell Smash sweeper. This is a pretty silly way of looking at things, and reflects a lack of experience with high level BH. The fact of the matter is that it's not possible to cover everything in this metagame. You have to pick and choose what threats you want to be prepared for, and sometimes just accept that you're going to have to take the L to something that you weren't ready for. The way you build for tournaments vs the way you build for ladder is very different: in a tournament setting, the team doesn't have to be consistent, as it only has to win one game. This means you can get away with having holes in your team that would really mess you up if you tried to top the ladder or something. In the long run, being weak to a specific offensive threat is far from the worst flaw that a team can have. pdt's team made it really difficult for me to set up, and had the tools to stop most common setup sweepers. I just happened to have a sweeper that he was soft to, and even then I had to work to find a place to set up and then needed to get lucky to pull off the sweep. In terms of team matchups, pdt had the advantage in this one: I couldn't deal with either the Necrozma or the Spikes PH Reshiram, and I didn't have the tools to wear down his defensive core. Once I figured out the sets on Hippo and Vaporeon, I knew that a Solgaleo sweep was my best shot at winning, and once I'd decided that bluffing Flash Fire to set up in front of Reshiram was unlikely to work I knew that my best chance for setting up involved burning Zamazenta. Nuzzle threw me for a loop as I was certain that the last move was Spectral Thief, but I was able to get a second boost and was lucky not to get fully paralysed at a bad time and won. A really sketchy match for me that I think I was fortunate to win. I know some people find it a bit lame when games are decided by how well a player can play just a single Pokemon, but I personally think it creates an interesting dynamic and can lead to some really satisfying games. Glad I was able to take one back after my weak performance against pdt last year.

highlighter vs Tack :]
replay

Another game this week that mostly came down to a Shell Smash sweep. Tack played his Steelix unreasonably recklessly considering highlighter's Zekrom was chilling in the back, although I suppose he didn't have great answers to EQ Zac-C anyway. highlighter took full advantage, and Mixed Shell Smash Zekrom (completely broken set btw) cleaned house. I don't have a lot to say about this one: Tack just didn't respect Zekrom enough, or might have figured that his (Fur Coat?) Eternatus could handle it, not counting on the possibility of a mixed set. highlighter did well to play to his win conditions and won in pretty dominant fashion. It is interesting to note here that Tack's Solgaleo potentially could have done some real work if he'd had the time, as highlighter had to sac Snorlax to stop it sweeping, meaning if it had somehow found a second opportunity to set up things could have gotten dicey.

Metagame observations:

A lot of people have argued that Shell Smash is broken because it makes games hinge on single turns and single decisions too often. This week gives that viewpoint a lot of ammunition: both my game vs pdt and the highlighter vs Tack game were contests of which player could break through with their Shell Smash sweeper first. I expect to see stronger anti-setup measures in coming weeks, like more Imposter.

Shell Smash Solgaleo specifically made a few appearances this week. It's becoming apparent to me that it's one of the very best Shell Smashers in the tier, specifically this set:

Solgaleo @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Shell Smash
- Photon Geyser
- Sunsteel Strike
- Earth Power / Filler

It OHKOs basically the whole tier at +2, it matches up excellently against popular Pranksters, its bulk and typing and ability to bluff defensive sets gives it a lot of opportunities to set up, it's threatening without setup, and it Dynamaxes well. Really just does everything you want a Smasher to do.

Type:Null showed up twice this week and didn't accomplish a whole lot either time. I'm still not convinced that this Pokemon is anything more than a meme.

A notable absence: Melmetal has barely been used at all so far. A few months ago we viewed it as a cornerstone of the metagame and put it at S rank on the first version of the VR, but the meta lately has just shfted in a way that doesn't favour it. Teams are better at handling it both offensively and defensively, Pokemon that it used to beat have either become less popular or now run sets that Melmetal can't handle quite as reliably, and a lot of its metagame share has been taken over by Steelix and Zamazenta-C. It still has a place in the tier, but it's certainly no longer an auto-include on like 80% of teams anymore.

Upcoming matches:

a loser vs highlighter
— Both are strong players who've been bringing their A game in battle and in the teambuilder. Expecting a great match here.

Tack :] vs MAMP — Tack is a relative newcomer to BH who I've never played against in tournament, so this should be a fun one.

sugarhigh vs PinkDragonTamer — i beat both these guys lol

Gurpreet Patel (sent you a friend request) vs dimrah — Powerful ladder hero dimrah is finally making his OMPL debut! Really keen for this one, these guys play each other about 5 times a day on ladder, so there's a lot of history here.

Thank you for joining me for another exciting edition of MAMP'S OMPL BH Review! Looking forward to another exciting week of high level matches.

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
people made me post these on here despite having the least effort ive ever put into anything sorry
In the Hills' STABmons Review: Weeks 1 & 2
Week 1:
terracotta vs zesty
:
replay
dragapult does broken dragapult things for most of the match and then band excadrill under gravity goes absolutely crazy. definitely the best stab game of week tbh it was really fun to watch

betathunder vs plas:
replay
plas brings unset celebi which uses apple acid SpDef drops beautifly with... psystrike and wins when beta sacked ferrothorn aka the goon and celebi check for no reason

funbot vs word:
replay
word brings probably the worst team ive ever seen and gets destroyed by deranged canadian lady

vivalospride vs cam:
replay
esteemed user pinkdragontamer is an amazing teammate to viv and gives cam the win by posting viv's team in the chat, but cam humbly declines to look at it and lets viv dd on his gengar

Week 2:
cam vs word:

replay
cam cries about a focus blast miss and then is silent as his toxapex dodges 3 moves to win the game

vivalospride vs terracotta:
replay
i would just like to point out that funbot is the only person in the two weeks so far to bring aegislash checks (not that there's more than 3) terra's kyurem check dies then viv's kyurem clears its throat and goes absolutely bananas on the team

plas vs zesty:
replay
plas switches alts and makes me think im crazy when trying to find this replay smh... now onto the game. plas v-creates a flash fire mon and is rewarded when zesty switches out then we get to see plenty more hot v-create on v-create action for the rest of the game

funbot vs betathunder:
replay
deranged canadian lady strikes again as rehab patient forgets to bring proper dragapult counterplay for a second week while once again bringing 2 dracovish checks that both lose to dracovish

expect more minimal effort reviews where i just shit on everyone in future weeks as well

Last edited:

Ren

fuck it if i cant have him
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[10:51:58] sugarhigh: do i play
[10:51:59] sugarhigh: u
[10:52:00] sugarhigh: this week
[10:52:52] GL Volkner: n but pdt already tested w me
[10:53:12] sugarhigh: is pdt
[10:53:15] sugarhigh: on the opposing team
[10:53:21] sugarhigh: i thought i face sl42
[10:53:56] sugarhigh: LMAO
[10:53:58] sugarhigh: IM SO DUMB
[10:54:02] sugarhigh: even messaged pdt
[10:54:05] sugarhigh: can i test a team on y
[10:54:08] sugarhigh: im deadddd

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
[10:51:58] sugarhigh: do i play
[10:51:59] sugarhigh: u
[10:52:00] sugarhigh: this week
[10:52:52] GL Volkner: n but pdt already tested w me
[10:53:12] sugarhigh: is pdt
[10:53:15] sugarhigh: on the opposing team
[10:53:21] sugarhigh: i thought i face sl42
[10:53:56] sugarhigh: LMAO
[10:53:58] sugarhigh: IM SO DUMB
[10:54:02] sugarhigh: even messaged pdt
[10:54:05] sugarhigh: can i test a team on y
[10:54:08] sugarhigh: im deadddd
[11:23] sugarhigh: yo
[11:23] sugarhigh: can itest
[11:23] sugarhigh: a team
[11:23] sugarhigh: on u :O
[11:53] sugarhigh: OH
[11:53] sugarhigh: IM PLAYING U
[11:53] sugarhigh: WOOPS LMAOOOOOOOOOO
[11:56] pinkdragontamer: LMFAO

i can't leak your team if you leak it to me first

AESF'S RACOOL's MAMP's OMPL BH Review AAA EDITION: Week 2
Ok so im subbing in for aesf this week (unfortunately for you all lol) and as I have even less creativity than aesf, im copying his copy of MAMP's bh review :')

itskimbo vs dragonillis
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8almostanyability-1102720585

Kimbo's redemption arc gets off to a flying start here, with some pretty cool anti-pex prep in the form of black sludge storm drain gengar (with the added bonus of being a decent trick switchin as gengar doesnt mind a choice scarf/specs ngl, although thats pretty hard to execute) which matched up insanely well into dragonillis's stall. Mild heart attacks were induced, especially for jrdn, when kimbo forgot doom desire was up and sacked his gar in the lategame, but fortunately it was past the point where gar was strictly necessary to close out that game. I'd roast him for this.... but the amount of times ive forgotten future sight/doom desire was up in various tests is quite high and its pretty easy to do especially in a 100+ turn stall match. Teams wise kimbo brought a pretty classic kimbo style team with janky sets and some random ass immunities which paid off here, but I am not totally sold on this ngl, as from my personal experience relying on multiple immunity abilities so satisfy your role compression often ends up feeling a bit lacking unless you land yourself a really ideal mu. On the flip side, looks amazing when the mu is nice, cos the sets just flex so hard lol. Meanwhile in dragonillis's case I was pretty upset to see stall as I just don't really rate it much especially on the competitive scene in aaa rn. Stall just feels over the top passive right now which aesf kinda alluded to in his week 1 review. Also I think the addition of clef into most standard offence and balance's has made stall even less viable ngl, cos offence and balance gain so much more longevity now to the point where stall really cant do much at all. So yeah, don't bring stall folks. I was actually quite impressed with drago in his week 1 match vs rozes, where he did acc make the match pretty close, and like he didn't misplay much in this one, just had an unwinnable mu, so yeah im looking forward too playing him this week, should be fun! As for kimbo, v gassed that he got his long awaited win, hopefully this the start of a revenge tour !!

rozes vs aesf
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8almostanyability-494157

On paper this is up there as the biggest aaa tie this tour, and im desperately hoping that we get a rerun of this sometime in playoffs ngl, hopefully they even treat us to a bo3, that'd be fire. Getting into this one, off preview, its clear to see matchup is very much in rozes's corner. His coba looks a lot more threatening than aesf's coba especially going under the assumption that its mixed because coba usually is. Furthermore dracozolt and draga are 2 pretty scary mons at preview, cos its difficult to pinpoint theyr set. Draco has the fear factor of being magpull, which keeps aesf's coba firmly at bay, while also potentially being band adapt which is scary as fuck for aesf cos he doesnt have an electric immunity. We later find out that rozes's coba is in fact purely special, and his zolt is scarf adapt, knowledge which would have made aesf's life infinitely easier as elecvally comfortably handles both reasonably well if it keeps its vest, but unfortunately thats not how mons work, so rozes was able to apply a lot of pressure from preview itself. Finally, aesf's main breaker on this team is band tinted golis... which is pretty scary in a lot of matchups, but not nearly as much in this one vs dauntless mew + prank pex, which yeah isnt helping here. Last week we were witness to a masterclass from aesf on how to play your way out of a meh matchup with perfect offensive pressure.... the main difference here was he was playing rozes not megazard. Rozes is the one player in this pool who you reallllly dont wanna be in a matchup disadvantage against, cos he doesnt really give you an inch, just keeps the pressure up till you lose. Getting into the match, aesf had a couple of early unnecessary plays which kind of killed this one tbh. The first one was letting Vally get knocked which was imo pretty avoidable here, at least this early. The second one was sacking clef. Clef probably bounce here (which I dont really like regardless ngl, doesnt feel like it offers anywhere close to what ph offers) so aesf was most likely overpredicting rocks here trying to get a nice bounce which would have definitely helped him claw his way out of this one as it allows golis to start pressuring a lot more, but I honestly dont think the risk vs reward here was worth it especially this early into the match. After this the match ends up just rolling towards rozes pretty cleanly, with aesf managing to nab a nice kill but in the end not really having a way out of this one without rozes throwing somehow. Overall, it wasn't a bad match, but I think aesf's team could have been a bit better tbh and his early game could definitely have been better. As I said in the beginning, im very much looking forward to a potential rematch between these 2 titans, as both of them are only gonna keep improving in the builder as this tour goes on (especially aesf as hes nearly done with work, so hes gonna properly have time to prep, scary as fuck to think this was aesf stretched for time lmfao).

Racool vs Sabella
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8almostanyability-495937

So I ended up having pretty much no time last week to prep, and the few things I tried to throw together felt pretty bad, so I ended up recycling my g2 rain team I used in week 1 vs QT. I thought this was pretty safe as I didnt actually reveal much of that team in that game and the team actually has pretty good counterplay vs loads of different team comps particularly because of wish port clef allowing you to reset so freely. My final slot on that team ended up being the most important, as I had a feeling sabella would bring some type of balance with a triage sweeper like golis/celebi/togekiss, so I went for scarf dazzling terrak giving me speed control and triage control and an ability to force ferro out all in the same slot. With all that out of the way, the game ended up being really favourable for me matchup wise, as rain + specs prima literally 6-0'd.... but I managed to fuck that up pretty quickly. Tried to play early game safe with prima, clicking surf instead of pump cos I didn't want a miss and I didnt see a switchin unless he was regenvest milotic..... which he was lol. Then I proceeded to forget milotic gets mirror coat which ended with me needlessly sacking an easy Wincon in prima. That being said, the matchup was still pretty firmly in my favour because swift swim rotom matched up very strongly regardless. Sab was probably playing togekiss as his Wincon which made perfect sense as if he didnt know terrak was dazzling, kiss straight up won at this point. However I was able to successfully bait his kiss with terrak and close out this one. Definitely benefitted a lot here from matchup and sabella not being as familiar with the meta, don't think the outcome might have been the same if this was like week 5 ngl.

Thinkerino vs Mzard
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8almostanyability-1103879296

This one was an odd one ngl. Im very glad think got his first dub of his ompl debut vs a v solid opponent in mzard, hopefully this really propels think for the rest of the tour as hes got a win under his belt (although this week vs rozes is quite a tough ask). Getting into this game though, think's team off preview looks like magpull with noivern and salazzle as the abusers, with a fairly solid defensive pivot backbone of mew + corvi + mandi. Mzard brought a stresh team which is built mostly around knock mamo + terrak which is cool when facing like Levi doublade especially, but the team's struggle as we will see is a reliable way of breaking through dauntless mew. The game opened with think revealing desoland salazzle, while mzard went into pex to get up a tspike. I think this was deffo the right gameplan for mz, as the best way to pressure this team was getting a spike up and then trying to pressure with terrak while the spike is up, cos think cant go into mew then. As we will see, this ends up happening exactly, and think is forced to sack his noivern, which was definitely a threat for stresh if rotom managed to trapkill corv. However while this was good for mzard, im not sure about his play to not heal up his prank pex in front of the salazzle after it dropped an overheat. As far as I can tell, there was no way salazzle was breaking through pex cos overheat pp is only 8 and I dont think salazzle has any coverage to punish pex? Not to mention salazzle was lo. Although that being said, mz might have just wanted to initiate pressure before think even had a chance to reset and defog away, and like it netted a result of a dead noivern turn 5 so u cant really argue with that result. However after this turn everything started going pretty downhill for mz, the next few turns mz was trying to pivot around to heal up his pex and presumably try the tspike + terrak combo again.... but think's volt turn was slower than mz's preventing mz from getting pex safely in on something it could recover on. In the end mz tried to recover with pex in front of rotom, probably hoping for a volt switch which wouldnt have killed, but think called mz well and nabbed the pex with tbolt. At this point the match effectively ended as without pex and tspike mz had legitimately no real way to kill mew and pressure corv aside from crits/flinches. He ended up getting a few of those which made the game closer in the end, but think was able to close this one out regardless. Think for his part played this pretty solidly despite losing noivern so early, while mz had a decent initial gameplan but wasn't able to completely execute it well enough to dig himself out of a rough matchup. MZ is still a very strong and scary aaa opponent, like dude did win aaa open, and im looking forward to seeing his return to the aaa slot later this tour perhaps with teams he feels more comfortable with. That being said im hyped af for stresh rotating into the aaa slot as stresh teams are infinitely scarier with big brain stresh playing them lol :P

Metagame Observations
These are gonna be a lot worse than aesf's were last week btw:

A big surprise for me was the complete and utter lack of both doublade and snorlax this week. Lax being one of the most threatening mons and highest ranked mons on the VR right now, and doublade being one of the best defensive hard counters to lax and terrak while offering solid offensive presence, it was no surprise to see them both feature often in week 1. However this week neither featured on any of the 8 teams brought. I feel like this an anomaly more than a trend though, as both are still extremely splashable, and there isn't like a strong reason to avoid running them so yeah, expect that to get more balanced this week.

Another surprise was clef going 1-3 this week, despite feeling like the most annoying mon in the meta at least from my perspective in tests. However I think that was less to do with clef, and more to do with the team around it/the matchup + the fact that there were a few clef v clef matchups. Kimbo's flash fire clef kinda confused me a bit because I didnt really see what it particularly helped with - cinderace gets gunk shot, and stuff like chandy is still bopping you with shadow ball. It ended up helping by blocking wow, but the same can be done much better with ph, which after quite a bit of testing I think is by far and away the best clef (although I could be missing something obvious in regards to ff). Aesf also didn't run ph clef, and I think its safe to assume it was bounce. Bounce heal bell seems cool, but I think ph just offers far more tbh. Being knock immune is huge, the extra 6% each turn compared to lefties is massive, and you're such a nuisance spamming wish tect cos of the 25% recovery across tect, while tect itself is really strong right now cos its one of the few ways to safely scout stuff like draga/choiced terrak/choiced tricks from noivern and rotom.

One big takeaway from last week for me was draga's continued dominance though. That mon is currently stomping left right and centre, and is one of the toughest mons in the meta to safely scout for. This week rozes brought specs wow adapt which proved to be v effective in his match. This mon is really fucking good ngl.

Cool mons/sets from this week:

Coba is pretty cool right now as a pick into clef spam, cos you really force clef into an annoying position every time it wishes with the threat of steel beam but also rocks and cc. Viable mixed sets tend to be the most threatening in the current meta by far, because of how difficult it is to safely scout, but rozes also used full special coba to pretty good effect last week. It also has pretty nice physical bulk and the ability to pivot is its most redeeming feature.

Offensive Golis seems to making a comeback currently too which is cool to see. Golis kinda benefits a lot from the meta adapting to terrak cos its main stabs hit the current main terrak answers (mew, hippo, and doublade) pretty damn hard. Aesf's band tinted golis deffo had its moments, although my favourite offensive golis from last week was one jrdn brought in a few tests vs me in fact, although idk if im allowed to reveal that, so ig ask him if ur curious :shrug:

Storm drain gengar as I mentioned earlier was some pretty cool anti-pex tech which I quite liked, although what I find curious is that all of main aaa builders find gengar to be one of the if not the most headache inducing mon to prep for because of its sflo/noguard/normalize sets.... yet none of these have actually been showing up in matches. Kinda mirrors how tini was the most broken mon last ompl but was rarely brought (although tini was far more broken than gar lol). Im predicting gar usage to rise though because a fair few teams were really lacking on counterplay.

Finally, once more stall featured exactly once this week, and did not have a great showing at all, so to echo aesf last week, hopefully this is enough of an incentive for people to not run stall anymore atm lol. Like yes its possible to cheese with stall, but ur by far more likely building balance with actual wincons and trying to outplay lol.

Yeah I really cba to do upcoming matches, already procrastinated uni work enough writing this up, but yeah this weeks matches look p cool. Excited mostly for think vs rozes, and stresh's aaa debut vs sabella, predicting stresh and rozes to come out on top there but ill be interested to watch those matches for sure!

I think aesf should be back with this next week which is a W for everyone rofl, tried my best to cover this time but looking back over this, I've rambled lots and haven't actually made that many precise and good points so yeah my bad. Congratulations if you managed to get through this lmfao.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)