Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
How does Sketch interact with the Move Relearner? Once you sketch a move, can you go to the Move Relearner and get that Sketch back, or do you have to learn a new Sketch the normal way? In other words, if a hypothetical Pokemon learned Sketch only once, could it use the Move Relearner to cheat the system and get multiple Sketches?
Nowadays, Sketch can even be relearned via the Move Relearner if it is obtained as an egg move. Smogon's Create-a-Pokémon (CAP) project made such a Pokémon once, with the idea being that it got Sketch once and only once. I think they had to create a special clause for it to compensate for the new Move Relearner mechanics.

Question of the day:

With the release of Custap Berry in EU/NA today, I was curious on its interaction with
- Gluttony
- Psychic Terrain
- Abilities that block priority moves

My thought is that it normally is affected by Gluttony (so would trigger at 50% hp for those Pokemon), and that it should work like Quick Claw (so doesn't actually give priority but rather makes the poke act first in its priority line) thus not have any interaction with priority blocking mechanics.

Confirms?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Question of the day:

With the release of Custap Berry in EU/NA today, I was curious on its interaction with
- Gluttony
- Psychic Terrain
- Abilities that block priority moves

My thought is that it normally is affected by Gluttony (so would trigger at 50% hp for those Pokemon), and that it should work like Quick Claw (so doesn't actually give priority but rather makes the poke act first in its priority line) thus not have any interaction with priority blocking mechanics.

Confirms?
Custap is effected by the Gluttony so will be eaten as 50%.

As for Psychic Terrain and Abilities that block priority moves, from what I'm reading it won't be affected unless the move that it's making move first is a higher priority move. Custap Berry's effect is that it works within the priority bracket the move is normally in, it doesn't actually increase priority.

So how do the different PVP modes on LGPE work? Are they like OU and AG on simulator, or is Mewtwo allowed/are mythical not allowed by default in the no candies format? What about species clause?

If you train a Pokémon in, say, RSE, to have 255 Att / 255 Spd, then transfer it to SM, where 252 is the new EV cap, and then visit the person who gives you the Effort Ribbon, will they give you the Effort Ribbon? In other words, is the 255 reset to 252 and is the Pokémon now 6 EVs short of being able to receive the Effort Ribbon?

So how do the different PVP modes on LGPE work? Are they like OU and AG on simulator, or is Mewtwo allowed/are mythical not allowed by default in the no candies format? What about species clause?
The two game modes are simply with and without candies, neither allow Mewtwo or Mew but do allow Melmetal.
Species clause still exists afaik.

The two game modes are simply with and without candies, neither allow Mewtwo or Mew but do allow Melmetal.
Species clause still exists afaik.
Does that mean you can't use Mew in cartridge PVP at all? If so, I guess that saves me the trouble of trying to make my bad nature one work lol.

If you train a Pokémon in, say, RSE, to have 255 Att / 255 Spd, then transfer it to SM, where 252 is the new EV cap, and then visit the person who gives you the Effort Ribbon, will they give you the Effort Ribbon? In other words, is the 255 reset to 252 and is the Pokémon now 6 EVs short of being able to receive the Effort Ribbon?
While I'd need to test it to know for sure, the Effort Ribbon is awarded when a pokemon has 510 effort values.

Since numerically the pokemon only has 504 due to the lowered maximum, then you'd now be short 6 EVs.

*Edit: Confirmed by Bulbapedia - Pokémon transferred from Generation V with more than 252 EVs in any stat will have the extra EVs removed.

So it's not "reset", those 6 EVs are taken away entirely. So you wouldn't get an Effort Ribbon.

Last edited:
I have a question about a strange thing that happened to me in ORAS Battle maison, Super Singles, battle 31 or 32. My opponent led with sceptile, I with Durant. I use Entertainment, he uses Detect. I switch to Banette, he Leaf Storms, killing her. His special attack drops, White Herb restores it. I send out Durant, use Entertainment again, he... outspeeds? Yes, outspeeds and uses Leaf Storm. My Durant has Choice Scarf and Jolly nature (tough not perfect IVs). My question is: how could Sceptile outspeed Scarfed Durant? And no, sadly I don´t have a video, because my video space was full.

I have a question about a strange thing that happened to me in ORAS Battle maison, Super Singles, battle 31 or 32. My opponent led with sceptile, I with Durant. I use Entertainment, he uses Detect. I switch to Banette, he Leaf Storms, killing her. His special attack drops, White Herb restores it. I send out Durant, use Entertainment again, he... outspeeds? Yes, outspeeds and uses Leaf Storm. My Durant has Choice Scarf and Jolly nature (tough not perfect IVs). My question is: how could Sceptile outspeed Scarfed Durant? And no, sadly I don´t have a video, because my video space was full.
Unburden, pretty much :)

A forgettable ability sometimes, but it's Sceptile's HA.

Would it be possible to revamp the BW1 in-game tier list? User VagueKatti expressed interest in this on the In Game Tiering List thread, and while the current list is serviceable, would there be any problem with updating it any? The current thread's last post was in 2012.

One thing I somewhat take issue with some of the mid-tier rankings seem questionable, like Sewaddle (sure it has a ton of weaknesses and not amazing gyms, but you get X-Scissor, Leaf Blade, and even Swords Dance naturally, plus you pretty much start with great STAB which some Pokemon don't have the luxury of, namely Deerling and a few other Grass types to an extent. To be fair, the weaknesses and eh gyms balance it out, but its like the fourth fastest Bug in Unova behind Accelgor Scolipede and Durant IIRC), Patrat (it has utility but why would you actually use this over literally anything else, and Lillipup is in the same area!) Vanillite (somewhat late and takes a bit for the ball to roll out but you have great Gym matchups (you can troll Brycen with Flash Cannon in winter even), and once you get Ice Beam and evolve at 35 you're gravy and the competition isn't great-Beartic sucks -it's usable but that speed and starting moves...eh) and Cryogonal is 1% out of winter, good luck). Conkeldurr and Gurdurr in high tier I also question (you run Wake-Up-Slap for way too long until Brick Break which both Scraggy and Sawk get quickly, natural Bulk Up and Rock Slide are nice, but most of the time you won't need either save for maybe Clay (Brycen is a joke, and Drayden is pointless to set-up against since he has Dragon Tail) plus Trade evo (I don't think many actually use Eviolite Pokemon for full playthroughs).

I know I'm not a mod, but I love reading these in-game tiering lists and I think that most of what is on the current tier list is fine, but I think having some renewed discussion at the very least is helpful (most of the list would be easy to tier-Archen Sigilyph Scraggy, etc.) Would it possible to start another discussion at least?

Sorry if this wasn't a "simple" question, but I wanted to give reasoning for my thoughts and the last person in the In Game Tiering List thread never got responded to. Thanks for reading.

Would it be possible to revamp the BW1 in-game tier list? User VagueKatti expressed interest in this on the In Game Tiering List thread, and while the current list is serviceable, would there be any problem with updating it any? The current thread's last post was in 2012.

One thing I somewhat take issue with some of the mid-tier rankings seem questionable, like Sewaddle (sure it has a ton of weaknesses and not amazing gyms, but you get X-Scissor, Leaf Blade, and even Swords Dance naturally, plus you pretty much start with great STAB which some Pokemon don't have the luxury of, namely Deerling and a few other Grass types to an extent. To be fair, the weaknesses and eh gyms balance it out, but its like the fourth fastest Bug in Unova behind Accelgor Scolipede and Durant IIRC), Patrat (it has utility but why would you actually use this over literally anything else, and Lillipup is in the same area!) Vanillite (somewhat late and takes a bit for the ball to roll out but you have great Gym matchups (you can troll Brycen with Flash Cannon in winter even), and once you get Ice Beam and evolve at 35 you're gravy and the competition isn't great-Beartic sucks -it's usable but that speed and starting moves...eh) and Cryogonal is 1% out of winter, good luck). Conkeldurr and Gurdurr in high tier I also question (you run Wake-Up-Slap for way too long until Brick Break which both Scraggy and Sawk get quickly, natural Bulk Up and Rock Slide are nice, but most of the time you won't need either save for maybe Clay (Brycen is a joke, and Drayden is pointless to set-up against since he has Dragon Tail) plus Trade evo (I don't think many actually use Eviolite Pokemon for full playthroughs).

I know I'm not a mod, but I love reading these in-game tiering lists and I think that most of what is on the current tier list is fine, but I think having some renewed discussion at the very least is helpful (most of the list would be easy to tier-Archen Sigilyph Scraggy, etc.) Would it possible to start another discussion at least?

Sorry if this wasn't a "simple" question, but I wanted to give reasoning for my thoughts and the last person in the In Game Tiering List thread never got responded to. Thanks for reading.
I think at least putting that proposal in the tier list thread would be fine. I've not played BW with efficient completion in mind, (and it's been years since I actually played the game period) but these points could warrant another look at these Pokemon and if their current positions should shift.

I think at least putting that proposal in the tier list thread would be fine. I've not played BW with efficient completion in mind, (and it's been years since I actually played the game period) but these points could warrant another look at these Pokemon and if their current positions should shift.
Okay, I'll copy paste it over there then. Had never posted in this simple Questions thread so I thought it might be appropriate.

Do we know what happens if a Pokemon with, say, base stat of 100 in HP, and only 1 HP remaining after a battle, evolves by trade/stone into a Pokemon with, say, a base HP stat of 80? I don't know if there are any current evolutions that do this.

I would guess the game would artificially set the remaining HP to 1 upon evolution.

Hi,
New to the forum.
My first Pokemon game in a while is Let's Go Eevee, and It's my first time really focusing on Pokemon Stats.
I got the idea for combo catching and natures, but I'm still a bit in the dark about HOW they affect a Pokemon's stats.

Currently I'm grinding for Dratini to get a good Dragonite.
Let's say I have "Best" IV for Attack but the Dratini has a nature that decreases attack.
I understand nature increases and decreases by, 10%?
If I think about it, that's a lot and at the same time not so much.

And what about a Pokemon who's Base stats are inclined to raise, for example, speed.
Would that Pokemon with an "OK" IV for speed end up with just the base stat or lower it?

I guess my question in a nutshell is,
"If a Pokemon has an IV ranging from Good to Best does a decreasing nature very negatively impact it?"

Hi,
New to the forum.
My first Pokemon game in a while is Let's Go Eevee, and It's my first time really focusing on Pokemon Stats.
I got the idea for combo catching and natures, but I'm still a bit in the dark about HOW they affect a Pokemon's stats.

Currently I'm grinding for Dratini to get a good Dragonite.
Let's say I have "Best" IV for Attack but the Dratini has a nature that decreases attack.
I understand nature increases and decreases by, 10%?
If I think about it, that's a lot and at the same time not so much.

And what about a Pokemon who's Base stats are inclined to raise, for example, speed.
Would that Pokemon with an "OK" IV for speed end up with just the base stat or lower it?

I guess my question in a nutshell is,
"If a Pokemon has an IV ranging from Good to Best does a decreasing nature very negatively impact it?"
You should be directing this sort of question to the Orange Islands SQSA thread instead of here.

Generally for in-game, near anything will do. But if you want a good Pokemon, you're better off not settling for a less than desirable nature. The nature always multiplies a stat it benefits by 1.1 while a stat it hinders is multiplied by .9, so... yes. If you care about that stat, you don't want a nature that hinders it, and should speak to the lady in Celadon to ensure a nature you desire while hunting Dratini. (and you can grind against a common and easy to catch Pokemon like Rattata and then go searching for Dratini and still carry your catch chain)

You should be directing this sort of question to the Orange Islands SQSA thread instead of here.

Generally for in-game, near anything will do. But if you want a good Pokemon, you're better off not settling for a less than desirable nature. The nature always multiplies a stat it benefits by 1.1 while a stat it hinders is multiplied by .9, so... yes. If you care about that stat, you don't want a nature that hinders it, and should speak to the lady in Celadon to ensure a nature you desire while hunting Dratini. (and you can grind against a common and easy to catch Pokemon like Rattata and then go searching for Dratini and still carry your catch chain)
Thank you Very much for moving the post. I'll be more attentive as I spend more time here.
Also thank you for your answer. I currently have a 60+ Catch chain going on. Will my chain be broken if I change the Catch Nature for the day?

No, your chain is only broken if you Load a game, a pokemon runs away or you catch a different Pokemon.
Changing zone or talking to npcs wont break it.

No, your chain is only broken if you Load a game, a pokemon runs away or you catch a different Pokemon.
Changing zone or talking to npcs wont break it.
Thank you ever so much! So far my research has shown Brave or Adamant for Dragonite (my evolution goal). Going to research my desired moveset a bit more ^-^. Hoping to get more knowledgeable and involved in the competitive Pokemon scene.

Thank you Very much for moving the post. I'll be more attentive as I spend more time here.
Also thank you for your answer. I currently have a 60+ Catch chain going on. Will my chain be broken if I change the Catch Nature for the day?
To further what Worldie said, you only need a catch chain of 31+ to get the full benefits. (minimum 4 flawless IV's, best odds for shiny and for rare spawns to show up) Obviously, you'll break your chain if you catch something other than the same species, but it will apply up until that point. You may even be able to skip Dratini and Dragonair entirely and encounter Dragonite. (albeit you'll need to be riding something that flies or is large enough to get you into the air such as Charizard or Onix)

Now, I may not know the current metagame for Let's Go, but I doubt Brave is a favorable nature for Dragonite. It boosts Attack, yes, but hinders Speed, which is generally always important. Again, I could be wrong on that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)