Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think of Mmetagross? Sure it has some awesome stats but no reliable setups (agility/meteor mash). It can switch in easily with it's typing but for 1 agility setup and praying for meteor mash to proc.
And there is te coverage problem, if u burn 1 slot with agility to setup u have 3 slots left, Zenbut/Meteormash/bulletpunch?EQ?brickbreak?Icepunch?somerandomshut?

252+ Atk Metagross Earthquake vs. 148 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 238-282 (71.2 - 84.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
152+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 84 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 374-444 (116.1 - 137.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagross Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 156-184 (44.3 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagross Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 232-274 (65.9 - 77.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus: 255-300 (79.9 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus: 381-448 (119.4 - 140.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 84 HP / 0 SpD Metagross: 421-499 (130.7 - 154.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagross Thunder Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 284-336 (87.9 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 84 HP / 0 SpD Metagross: 247-292 (76.7 - 90.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagross Thunder Punch vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 314-370 (86.2 - 101.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 84 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 112-133 (34.7 - 41.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Mgross has a fairly match up with some of most popular Mons in meta, but this easy setup/limited coverage is enough to justify it's usage?

Ps: keep in mind my build was "172 HP 252 ATK 84 Speed", switch in, setup agility and 3 moves ---> any build suggestion will help

Since Slowbro and Mega Altaria will both wall the usual Zard X sets. I believe Belly Drum Zard X will rise in usage.

+6 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Altaria: 352-414 (109 - 128.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 357-420 (90.6 - 106.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Since Slowbro and Mega Altaria will both wall the usual Zard X sets. I believe Belly Drum Zard X will rise in usage.

+6 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Altaria: 352-414 (109 - 128.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 357-420 (90.6 - 106.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
The problems with Belly Zard X are the fact it can't hold a Sitrus Berry, it's SR weak (4x as normal Zard, meaning when you come in on Rocks, you can't use Belly Drum unless you're running an odd HP number, but even then, you're at 1 HP :/ ) and it's susceptible to priority moves with all that health being whittled down, meaning this set will require A LOT of support and require you to run Roost to get your health back.

I think Mega Swampert OHKOes in rain.
Huh? Even on a spdef set it wouldn't be a guaranteed 2hko:

252+ Atk Swampert Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Audino in Rain: 195-231 (47.5 - 56.3%) -- 82.8% chance to 2HKO

Mega-Audino has more physical bulk than hippowdon and slowbro guys, dont underestimate it.

The problems with Belly Zard X are the fact it can't hold a Sitrus Berry, it's SR weak (4x as normal Zard) and it's susceptible to priority moves with all that health being whittled down, meaning this set will require A LOT of support and require you to run Roost to get your health back.
Well yeah, Roost will be mandatory since Dragon/Fire is all it needs. Healing Wish support/Tailwind is also nice.

Huh? Even on a spdef set it wouldn't be a guaranteed 2hko:

252+ Atk Swampert Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Audino in Rain: 195-231 (47.5 - 56.3%) -- 82.8% chance to 2HKO

Mega-Audino has more physical bulk than hippowdon and slowbro guys, dont underestimate it.
Sorry, was thinking of another calc. I just remember Audino not being a counter; on account of being 2HKOed after Stealth Rock.

"The data mining team has confirmed that Hoopa switches formes using a Key Item and is not a Mega. Magician isn't so useless after all!"

"Groudon/Kyogre Primal Revert automatically if holding Red/Blue Orb. Primals don't count as Megas and you can have multiple Primals per team."

I guess this confirms something?

Yawn might be a worthwhile consideration for Swampert instead of Superpower. Yes, you can severely damage Ferrothorn, but you really can't do anything to Rotom-W, Slowbro, or Venusaur. With Yawn, you're at least able to force them to switch out and get a free hit on whatever they send in or switch out if you predict they'll stay in. It might be a good idea to run this with Spikes support, possibly a Ferrothorn of your own. It (Yawn) doesn't seem like the best use of rain, but you're probably banking on rain sticking around for most of the match if you're using a hole puncher like Swampert (or you're using it as a cleaner after the aforementioned threats are eliminated).

skarmory is going to love this meta... as is hippowdon, to a lesser extent. both wall metagross (provided it's lackin grass knot for hippo), skarmory can counter swamp (literally, counter ohkos), hippo cancels rain, which can be huge w/ rain offense getting hyped up as much as it is...shed shell skarm + sceptile sounds devious, and with other mons like swamp stopping mag cold i think mag + pinsir usage is going to die down significantly

skarmory is going to love this meta... as is hippowdon, to a lesser extent. both wall metagross (provided it's lackin grass knot for hippo), skarmory can counter swamp (literally, counter ohkos), hippo cancels rain, which can be huge w/ rain offense getting hyped up as much as it is...shed shell skarm + sceptile sounds devious, and with other mons like swamp stopping mag cold i think mag + pinsir usage is going to die down significantly
Mag might start running HP Ice for Sceptile, but yeah, I agree with the notion that Mag is in a bit of a pickle in the upcoming meta shift.

Investing in beedrills defence is interesting, but more than likely a bad idea. With defensive EVs you're only avoiding potential OHKO's against banded azumarill and life orb crawdaunt. You're still losing basically all of your health and if rocks are around which is probably likely then you just die to the aqua jet or die when coming in again. It's really not worth it, especially 128 defensive EVS because that's just way too much. I would say just focus on beedrills greatest assests, attack and speed, and just forget about that pitiful defence. You also need to consider the fact that those aqua jets are barely OHKO's anyway. 31.3% for azumarill and 18.8% for crawdaunt.

Yawn might be a worthwhile consideration for Swampert instead of Superpower. Yes, you can severely damage Ferrothorn, but you really can't do anything to Rotom-W, Slowbro, or Venusaur. With Yawn, you're at least able to force them to switch out and get a free hit on whatever they send in or switch out if you predict they'll stay in. It might be a good idea to run this with Spikes support, possibly a Ferrothorn of your own. It (Yawn) doesn't seem like the best use of rain, but you're probably banking on rain sticking around for most of the match if you're using a hole puncher like Swampert (or you're using it as a cleaner after the aforementioned threats are eliminated).
I'm going to be using a Rain Dance set with Waterfall, Ice Punch and EQ, effectively functioning as a cleaner in the late game that cannot be easily revenge killed.

What pokemon do you guys think will be good partners for Mega Swampert?
Well yeah, Roost will be mandatory since Dragon/Fire is all it needs. Healing Wish support/Tailwind is also nice.
Personal anecdote is that a third coverage move is all but necessary. EQ is very popular because it serves as an out to Heatran as well as being effing EQ, but there are other good options. Thanks to Tough Claws, some steel coverage for the inevitable fairy switch-ins die by Iron Tail (for damage lovers) and Steel Wing (accuracy). Iron tail ends up with something like 130 BP thanks to Tough Claws and Steel Wing gets up to a respectable 91, very close to or exceeding the EQ coverage. If mega Alteria and/or other big fairy types really take over the meta, these will be very strong options. My personal zard X runds Brick Break because one, I needed fighting coverage, and two, it works wonders. 97.5 BP after Tough Claws and still super against Heatran while also instantly exploding TTar, and giving great breaks to walls like Chansey, Snorlax, and silly people running Aggron.

I also think Flame Charge is 100% underrated considering the speed of the meta. Getting in a Flame Charge for chip damage after a DDance leaves you at +2 Speed so even a revenge killer Scarfchomp can't touch you. There is also a lot of speed coming in with these new megas like Sceptile and Beedril, and both have base 145 Speeds which are terrifying and you won't always have the options of boosting with DDance before you need that speed if you intend on running zard X.

Also, the Beedril hype is real. Mondo coverage is mondo. Xscissor, Poison Jab, Knock Off, and Drill Run on Adamant sets will destroy things left and right.

Investing in beedrills defence is interesting, but more than likely a bad idea. With defensive EVs you're only avoiding potential OHKO's against banded azumarill and life orb crawdaunt. You're still losing basically all of your health and if rocks are around which is probably likely then you just die to the aqua jet or die when coming in again. It's really not worth it, especially 128 defensive EVS because that's just way too much. I would say just focus on beedrills greatest assests, attack and speed, and just forget about that pitiful defence. You also need to consider the fact that those aqua jets are barely OHKO's anyway. 31.3% for azumarill and 18.8% for crawdaunt.
Did you forget to factor in Adaptability?

212+ Atk Adaptability Mega Beedrill Poison Jab vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 500-592 (125.6 - 148.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 44 Def Beedrill: 222-262 (81.9 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

212+ Atk Adaptability Beedrill U-turn vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Crawdaunt: 416-492 (155.2 - 183.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 44 Def Beedrill: 221-260 (81.5 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Also, 128 Atk still kills them;

128+ Atk Adaptability Beedrill U-turn vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Crawdaunt: 396-468 (147.7 - 174.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 128 Def Beedrill: 190-224 (70.1 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

128+ Atk Adaptability Beedrill Poison Jab vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 476-560 (119.5 - 140.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 128 Def Beedrill: 190-225 (70.1 - 83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I wasn't taking about beedrill hitting back. I was taking about how high the chances are of those two aqua jets OHKO'ing beedrill with no defensive investment. Azumarill has a 31% chance and crawdaunt has even less with 18%.

I wasn't taking about beedrill hitting back. I was taking about how high the chances are of those two aqua jets OHKO'ing beedrill with no defensive investment. Azumarill has a 31% chance and crawdaunt has even less with 18%.
Apologies, I misread your post as "you're missing potential ohkos" :/

eeh idk, You really need something for ferro. As being a good counter to swampert.
That's what I conceded in my post. It's probably more important to have Superpower to 2HKO Ferro with EQ + Superpower, but Yawn could be valuable for maintaining momentum on rain teams that have issues with Slowbro and Rotom-W (yes, rain teams should be prepared for these anyway, but they should also have methods of disposing of Ferrothorn).

It is only me or M-Metagross is really limited by choices? I mean, he has agility and no other major buffs and still has trouble against current OU staples like Greninja, ZardXY, Chomp etc? I mean cmom GF :(

Last edited by a moderator:
So is Fire Blast a good idea on Mega Audino? I feel like maybe an offensive M-Audino might actually be viable.

It is only me or M-Metagross is really limited by choices? I mean, he has agility and no other major buffs and still has trouble against current OU staples like Greninja, ZardXY, Chomp etc? I mean cmom GF :(
Remember it get's tough Claws, and it has access to all Elemental Punches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)