Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Superpower

Tornadus-T + Manaphy
These two form an incredible stallbreaking core that can be very difficult to get past. Manaphy sets up rain with Rain Dance that gives Tornadus-T's Hurricanes 100% accuracy and heals status from Manaphy, while also dealing with rock types that it dislikes. Tornadus-T is good at dealing with grass types while being a great stallbreaker to pair with Manaphy that shuts down pokemon like Quagsire that Manaphy has trouble breaking through. Together, these two destroy stall and make a powerful offensive core.

Last edited:

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Ice Fang

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

The idea around this core is behind this core is a "scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" relationship with gengar and aero. Aero beats all of gengar's check. For example av torn, talon, heatran, etc. htesame goes with gengar beating all of aero's checks like hippo, lando to a certain extent and being one of the few special attackers that beats chansey. You can run pursuit to trap the twins so the risk of speed tying with gengar. This is a basic hyper offense core with little ghost resist in the tier and flying being one of the best offense typing in the game. This core hits hard and move fast. Just watch out for weavile.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb / Choice Specs
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe (LO+Superpower) OR 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe (Choice Specs+Focus Blast)
Hasty / Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower (LO only) / Focus Blast (Choice Specs only)
- U-turn / Knock Off
- Heat Wave / Taunt / Knock Off / Iron Tail

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Work Up
- Roost
- U-turn / Heat Wave / Refresh
My logic here was basically that flying is a very threatening offensive type and I kinda wanted to take the momentum which regular birdspam had and put a twist on it (in this case that twist was making it specially-based). In addition, I wanted to take the linespam concept that zbr was talking about further up the page but lack any super viable users other than the Sneasel line due to it being the only NFE to exceed 350 speed, which is kinda important for offensive NFEs to work at least IMO. This is how I decided on Torny-T and Mega Pidgeot; people often compare the two and say that they are almost the same Pokémon when deciding which to use (they really aren't unless you are comparing Hurricane+Heat Wave+U-turn+Filler, but that's a discussion for another day), but I thought about Pidgeot's superior cleaning ability courtesy of No Guard and Torny's better wallbreaking power in conjunction with one-another when coming up with the specifics of this.
Due to Pidgeot and Tornadus having the ability to break stall kinda consistently, I decided to make the most of their ability to do that by providing the potential to doube up on it. Work Up+Refresh does a nice job of completely dismantaling stall, Work Up+U-turn and Work Up+Heat Wave are also of note for their abilities to ease the offense matchup to an extent by allowing it to U-turn out of things for free momentum (recomended alongside Dugtrio) or to just hit steels that aren't called Heatran for nice damage without being overly reliant on Torny for them, aiding it's cleaning ability. Work Up is basically mandatory given both the nature of the core and to make up for Pidgeot's much-to-be-desired power courtesy of it going itemless.
Torny-T is a bit more of a weird set given that it has a lot of slashes to account for the specifics of it's team. It also mentions Choice Specs, which is something that I have used a little and and am pretty happy with in general; it works well with the nature of the core which is good, and people don't usually figure out that I'm Choice Specs for a while until they see their assumed-AV blow a hole through something which can usually take a hit from the aforementioned set.

The basic LO set has the option to run any of Iron Tail, Taunt, KOff, U-turn and Heat Wave. Iron Tail is nice for it's ability to OHKO Mega Diancie and Mega Aerodactyl (the latter after Stealth Rock) who try to switch in on you, which is nice considering that they both give the core an absolute headache due to being able to take Hurricanes pretty comfortably and not being weak to Superpower. Knock Off cripples Chansey and is just nice to help wear bulky 'mons down by removing Leftovers. Taunt helps with stallbreaking alongside Pidge and is nice if you forgo Refresh. U-turn grabs momentum. Heat Wave hits the same targets Pidge does with it, which is nice if you opt for U-turn or Refresh over it. It has the draw of being able to switch moves but has really iffy longevity and mandates hazard removal due to SR+1 LO hit dealing more than 1/3 of Torn's HP, rendering Regen basically null and not allowing it to regain any health with U-turn.

Choice Specs takes a different approach to wallbreaking and takes a step away from stallbreaking. On the one hand, your Hurricanes hit noticably harder (see below), reducing the number of times resists can take a Hurricane, and increases Torny's longevity. On the flipside, it limits you to four moves (no Taunt, KOff, Superpower (for accuracy over Focus) or Iron Tail) and locks you into whatever attack you click. Given that this core is more oriented towards overwhelming flying switch-ins, this can be seen as a double-edge sword, so run it or don't depending on your tastes and the makeup of your team. I'd highly recommend running Dugtrio if you carry this set though, because it can trap any Hurricane switch-ins to reduce the risk of locking into it.
Overall Power Increase
180 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 196-231 (57.4 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 240-283 (70.3 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Practical use
No need for SR to 2HKO Diancie from full.
180 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 100-118 (41.4 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 123-145 (51 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Significantly better roll vs. MAero
180 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Aerodactyl: 103-121 (34.2 - 40.1%) -- 42.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Aerodactyl: 125-147 (41.5 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Turns Clef 3HKO into 2HKO
180 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable: 177-211 (44.9 - 53.5%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable: 217-256 (55 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

2HKOs CM Slowking after SR
180 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 68+ SpD Slowking: 153-183 (38.9 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 68+ SpD Slowking: 189-223 (48 - 56.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

There are probably others too but you get the picture.
Good teammates include Dugtrio, hazard removal and basic offense requirements. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Lopunny-Mega (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Shiny: Yes
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch

Diggersby (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
Happiness: 0
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Fire Punch

Normal spam core with Mega Lopunny and Diggersby which also doubles as a double bunny core. Normal-type moves attract Rock- and Steel-types which are removed by their secondary STAB moves and Fire Punch (the latter 2HKOes Skarmory). Basically, Diggersby punches holes for a Mega Lopunny clean late-game, but Diggersby itself can clean as well with its boosted Quick Attack.
If you really hate Rocky Helmet Landorus-T and Tankchomp, Ice Beam is an option on Lopunny to lure them without taking too much residual damage. Checks to Talonflame (Rotom-W) and Fighting-types (Tangrowth, Talonflame) are nice for this core.

Last edited:

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
SP458 if your core isn't completed in 35 minites I'm going to close submissions without you so try to get it done ASAP.

Reactions: zbr

Martin

k closing

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

I love using Loppuny, It's a Pokemon that is handy in many situations and works well in various teams. When building a team around it, Talonflame is one of the first Pokemon that comes in mind. He is capable of crippling several threats to Loppuny thanks to Will-O-Wisp and Taunt, Including physical walls and sweepers that can prevent Loppuny break the opponent's team effectively, As well giving Loppuny a good switch and killer to Fighting-types that can be really annoying to deal.
should've done this for dual type cores and teams but hey better late then never.
Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick / Swords Dance

Sneasel @ Choice Band
Ability: Pickpocket
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab / Low Kick / Ice Shard
to those who know me a while ago, i discussed a team with fellow innovators yuruuu and Martin that utilised dual dark spam in the form of these two offensive threats. in this instance, dual ice is the more preferred combination since it's noted that the metagame is rly leaning heavily towards either burd HO (which does not appreciate the ice spam) or bulky offense / stall (which does not appreciate the dark spam). compile that fact with the fact that both these threats are capable of hitting above 350 which is cool since it helps deal with a lot of offensive threats. when i used this core, i went with dual priority since it's an absolute asset to have when dealing with offensive teams and when you have things like keld / azu / sciz coverd (by mega mane), these two beasts can easily burn a house down with the offensive capabilities.

e - here is the post to the team as well as the core displayed. steal the team and have some fun on the ladder xd http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...a-latias-togekiss.3548038/page-7#post-6467771

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Psychic
- Rain Dance

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Superpower

Tornadus-T + Manaphy
These two form an incredible stallbreaking core that can be very difficult to get past. Manaphy sets up rain with Rain Dance that gives Tornadus-T's Hurricanes 100% accuracy and heals status from Manaphy, while also dealing with rock types that it dislikes. Tornadus-T is good at dealing with grass types while being a great stallbreaker to pair with Manaphy that shuts down pokemon like Quagsire that Manaphy has trouble breaking through. Together, these two destroy stall and make a powerful offensive core.

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Ice Fang

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

The idea around this core is behind this core is a "scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" relationship with gengar and aero. Aero beats all of gengar's check. For example av torn, talon, heatran, etc. htesame goes with gengar beating all of aero's checks like hippo, lando to a certain extent and being one of the few special attackers that beats chansey. You can run pursuit to trap the twins so the risk of speed tying with gengar. This is a basic hyper offense core with little ghost resist in the tier and flying being one of the best offense typing in the game. This core hits hard and move fast. Just watch out for weavile.
Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb / Choice Specs
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe (LO+Superpower) OR 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe (Choice Specs+Focus Blast)
Hasty / Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower (LO only) / Focus Blast (Choice Specs only)
- U-turn / Knock Off
- Heat Wave / Taunt / Knock Off / Iron Tail

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Work Up
- Roost
- U-turn / Heat Wave / Refresh
My logic here was basically that flying is a very threatening offensive type and I kinda wanted to take the momentum which regular birdspam had and put a twist on it (in this case that twist was making it specially-based). In addition, I wanted to take the linespam concept that zbr was talking about further up the page but lack any super viable users other than the Sneasel line due to it being the only NFE to exceed 350 speed, which is kinda important for offensive NFEs to work at least IMO. This is how I decided on Torny-T and Mega Pidgeot; people often compare the two and say that they are almost the same Pokémon when deciding which to use (they really aren't unless you are comparing Hurricane+Heat Wave+U-turn+Filler, but that's a discussion for another day), but I thought about Pidgeot's superior cleaning ability courtesy of No Guard and Torny's better wallbreaking power in conjunction with one-another when coming up with the specifics of this.
Due to Pidgeot and Tornadus having the ability to break stall kinda consistently, I decided to make the most of their ability to do that by providing the potential to doube up on it. Work Up+Refresh does a nice job of completely dismantaling stall, Work Up+U-turn and Work Up+Heat Wave are also of note for their abilities to ease the offense matchup to an extent by allowing it to U-turn out of things for free momentum (recomended alongside Dugtrio) or to just hit steels that aren't called Heatran for nice damage without being overly reliant on Torny for them, aiding it's cleaning ability. Work Up is basically mandatory given both the nature of the core and to make up for Pidgeot's much-to-be-desired power courtesy of it going itemless.
Torny-T is a bit more of a weird set given that it has a lot of slashes to account for the specifics of it's team. It also mentions Choice Specs, which is something that I have used a little and and am pretty happy with in general; it works well with the nature of the core which is good, and people don't usually figure out that I'm Choice Specs for a while until they see their assumed-AV blow a hole through something which can usually take a hit from the aforementioned set.

The basic LO set has the option to run any of Iron Tail, Taunt, KOff, U-turn and Heat Wave. Iron Tail is nice for it's ability to OHKO Mega Diancie and Mega Aerodactyl (the latter after Stealth Rock) who try to switch in on you, which is nice considering that they both give the core an absolute headache due to being able to take Hurricanes pretty comfortably and not being weak to Superpower. Knock Off cripples Chansey and is just nice to help wear bulky 'mons down by removing Leftovers. Taunt helps with stallbreaking alongside Pidge and is nice if you forgo Refresh. U-turn grabs momentum. Heat Wave hits the same targets Pidge does with it, which is nice if you opt for U-turn or Refresh over it. It has the draw of being able to switch moves but has really iffy longevity and mandates hazard removal due to SR+1 LO hit dealing more than 1/3 of Torn's HP, rendering Regen basically null and not allowing it to regain any health with U-turn.

Choice Specs takes a different approach to wallbreaking and takes a step away from stallbreaking. On the one hand, your Hurricanes hit noticably harder (see below), reducing the number of times resists can take a Hurricane, and increases Torny's longevity. On the flipside, it limits you to four moves (no Taunt, KOff, Superpower (for accuracy over Focus) or Iron Tail) and locks you into whatever attack you click. Given that this core is more oriented towards overwhelming flying switch-ins, this can be seen as a double-edge sword, so run it or don't depending on your tastes and the makeup of your team. I'd highly recommend running Dugtrio if you carry this set though, because it can trap any Hurricane switch-ins to reduce the risk of locking into it.
Overall Power Increase
180 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 196-231 (57.4 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 240-283 (70.3 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Practical use
No need for SR to 2HKO Diancie from full.
180 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 100-118 (41.4 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 123-145 (51 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Significantly better roll vs. MAero
180 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Aerodactyl: 103-121 (34.2 - 40.1%) -- 42.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Aerodactyl: 125-147 (41.5 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Turns Clef 3HKO into 2HKO
180 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable: 177-211 (44.9 - 53.5%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable: 217-256 (55 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

2HKOs CM Slowking after SR
180 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 68+ SpD Slowking: 153-183 (38.9 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 68+ SpD Slowking: 189-223 (48 - 56.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

There are probably others too but you get the picture.
Good teammates include Dugtrio, hazard removal and basic offense requirements. Enjoy!

Lopunny-Mega (F) @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
Shiny: Yes
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch

Diggersby (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
Happiness: 0
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Fire Punch

Normal spam core with Mega Lopunny and Diggersby which also doubles as a double bunny core. Normal-type moves attract Rock- and Steel-types which are removed by their secondary STAB moves and Fire Punch (the latter 2HKOes Skarmory). Basically, Diggersby punches holes for a Mega Lopunny clean late-game, but Diggersby itself can clean as well with its boosted Quick Attack.
If you really hate Rocky Helmet Landorus-T and Tankchomp, Ice Beam is an option on Lopunny to lure them without taking too much residual damage. Checks to Talonflame (Rotom-W) and Fighting-types (Tangrowth, Talonflame) are nice for this core.
You can vote for up to 1 core. Good luck!

Last edited:

Martin

zbr 'cause typespam is bae. Also does a nice job following the trend of typespam being common/good in the current meta.

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
zbr, that's creative and funny
just to be clear it wasn't a joke nor a meme. sneasel is something we overlook simply because it's a pre evo as well as the fact that weavile exists. but because it carries two of the most offensive typings as well as a phenomenal speed tier currently existing in the game, that makes it a decent threat to OU as long as you support it right [:

i would've voted for martin (cause flying type is actually the most offensive typing in ou imo) if i didn't have the hugest love and passion for bunny spam so my vote goes to SP458

just to be clear it wasn't a joke nor a meme. sneasel is something we overlook simply because it's a pre evo as well as the fact that weavile exists. but because it carries two of the most offensive typings as well as a phenomenal speed tier currently existing in the game, that makes it a decent threat to OU as long as you support it right [:

i would've voted for martin (cause flying type is actually the most offensive typing in ou imo) if i didn't have the hugest love and passion for bunny spam so my vote goes to SP458
Just saying i wasn't sarcastic, sneasel is really a great and underrated mon o-o

Martin

Closing. Cenamazing wins.

Round 28: TypeSpam Reloaded
Building Condition: The core must feature 2 Pokémon of the same type
Notes: The aim of TypeSpam as a strategy is for the core to try and overload checks/counters. Please keep this in mind when building cores. Due to the kinda limited pool of viable typespam combinations, well-known cores are permitted for submission in this round, and unlike E-Rank Reloaded I'm not going to be too pushy with regards to doing cores which were done last time.

I was going to start working through a list of themes that bludz had helpfully provided due to my lacking creativity this week, but given the popularity and success of birdspam recently combined with me kinda wanting to redo this week given how week 1 of v1 had a kind of mixed interpretation of typespam, it seemed like the perfect time for me to reload it.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Rock Slide
- Quick Attack

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch

Fightspam core, Terrakion acts as a wallbreaker and Mega Lopunny as a speedy cleaner/revenge killer, they can deal with each other's checks, for example, Terrakion 2HKOes Hippowdon with Close Combat and Mega Lopunny uses Ice Punch to get rid of Landorus-T, good core overall as these two can get past typical Fighting type checks and have a pretty easy time without them on the opposing team as they share one type but they have distinct roles, they are very powerful and threatening regardless.

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

dual psychic, dual dragon, dual the amount of amazingness :]

back in the day of early bw, dual cm lati cores were all the rage. where people would run offensive dual / triple dragons so they would be able to overload opposing cores. dnite + hydrei was one, dual lati was also one of them. this core is quite cool since mlati is quite a strong mon despite all the flack it's been receiving. nothing much to say here except that they overload their checks and weaknesses so either one of them can sweep. i personally ran it with keldeo lati and lando-i (back before it's ban) and it was amazingly fun. this core isn't as good as it was before due to the metagame being a lot more resistant to stored power offense but once mons like msab / bish / ttar / sciz is out of the way, mlati can be quite a menace to deal with esp with it's above stellar bulk and water resistance.
Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Refresh
- Stored Power / Surf / Hidden Power [Fire]

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Calm Mind
e - i love typespam offense so if anyone wants any tips on building for typespam, don't hesitate to hit me up

I'm going for the classic birdspam here:

Nothing fancy here, just a lot of strong flying STAB. I think everyone's seen what this can do paired with a good hazard remover like starmie etc.
Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost
Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack

will post more later. suggestions are welcome.

I like ground-types

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Modest Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower

Landorus-Therian @ Earth Plate
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Thats kinda simple, Nidoking breaks through Landorus common checks(Breloom, Gliscor, opp defensive Lando, Rotom-W, Tangrowth, etc) and weakens enemy walls to help Landorus sweeping(Probably Lando can have a not so high number in speed to increase its bulk, but i dont know if it has some better spread). The cool thing here is, while being a offensive core, Nidoking and Landorus offer a lot of defensive utility with great resistances to U-Turn/Volt Switch and the capability of handling heavy threats such as Excadrill, Mega Scizor, Clefable and Jirachi. Good teammates include slow pivoting, scald resistances and twave support.

Martin

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power Flying / Nasty Plot

OR

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 68 Atk / 188 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Grass Knot

--

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Flamethrower
Thundurus+Mega Manectric is kinda ancient to say the least, and it is probably one of the few things which holds Electric up as a legitimate offensive threat in the current metagame given just how much some current trends just fucking suck for the type, namely grounds being fucking everywhere and combined with a surge in the usage of Grass-types recently. This means that they often have to fall back on their coverage more often than is practical, and generally speaking this is just really horrid for them in terms of effectiveness. It is why Raikou has fallen from grace while more defensively-inclined ones (such as Zapdos) gain popularity; the attributes are simply not well suited to the current meta from an offensive standpoint. What sets Thundurus apart from Mega Manectric and Raikou (aside from it's superior firepower) is it's coverage not consisting of HP Ice+[insert shitty coverage here]. Rather, it has a range of options from which it cycles between around 4 or 5 (Focus Blast/Superpower, HP Ice, HP Flying, Grass Knot, Knock Off). It also has access to Nasty Plot to further differenciate itself with it's good stallbreaking ability, and more recently it's mixed set has been gaining a lot of traction for it's ability to hit Tyranitar with something which isn't called Focus Blast and to not be complete Chansey fodder as well as to take advantage of it's ability on 4-attacks variants.

What makes these two complement each other, as well as being the only reason to use Mega Manectric anymore at least IMO, is that Thundurus can use it's coverage well. Specifically, Focus Blast hits Tyranitar, Grass Knot hits Hippowdon/Quagsire/Gastro/Seismi and HP Flying hits Mega Venusaur--all of which Manectric struggles to break through and all of which have completely different answers. This means that being able to have something that can help weaken them in one slot as well as something which shares it's primary offensive type (Electric) is real sweet on the whole for aiding a Manectric clean later on. On the flipside, the mixed variant does a good job of baiting out and just completely dicking on Chansey at the cost of special firepower. Both of these are extremely useful so choose whatever best fits your team. Manectric now does a good job vs. more things, with HP Ice being nice to dick on Lando-T, Garchomp and Gliscor who try to switch in on you while providing a weak Beam for your Bolt, and then Flamethrower is opted for over Overheat for improved cleaning ability--which is what this core aims for (a Manectric clean).

I don't expect to win, but yeah p. old core to say the least and lots of fun to mess around with every now and again.

Last edited:

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Signal Beam
- Psyshock
- Recover

Duosion @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 56 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Acid Armor

X.

+

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Toxic / Stone Edge
(If your team lacks checkers to Zard / Pinsir / Talonflame)

Sand is the best weather in OU metagame. Not only because it's extremely powerful, but also because it englobes a variety of threats to the current Metagame. One of the mons who benefits more from Sand is Excadrill. Having a Great offensive type + high attack + sand rush automatically makes it a considerable threat when engaging him. Hippowdown provides the support that Excadrill needs to have a switch to powerful Priorities and Also having Sand for 8 turns every time it shows off.

Last edited:
Another round where if you don't get sand or the standard bird-spam early you are really screwed, but again let's have some fun.

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Kyurem @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Blizzard

For those who doesn't know these two are a homage to Nirvana's Hail by -Snow for creating a team with one of the best (in my opinion) offensive typing in the meta game, Ice spam. Again for those who knows the team I know the sets are not the same. Abomasnow to set up hail so that both of the blizzard of the two mons are 100%. Giga Drain for a grass stab, Ice Shard for priority and hidden power fire for scizor and ferrothron. Scarf Kyurem for a late game sweeper. Ice beam for main stab, alongside with Blizzard for more power and in the case you are in the hail. Draco Meteor for rotom- or other bulky water types. Finally, earth power for mainly heatran but also any steel types in the meta.

Hydreigon (M) @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Poison Jab / Swords Dance / Low Kick
No-one's done darkspam yet?!

In the current state of the bulky metagame, specs Hydra puts in serious work. Most team's dark checks seem to pretty much cover Bisharp, Weavile and/or Tyranitar at the moment - all physical - meaning special dark resists are seriously sparse, allowing Hydreigon to blow massive holes with dark pulse. With dark type resists under such pressure, Weavile is the final nail in the coffin and is easily set up to clean. Weavile also helps vs offence which Hydra is not so effective against. I went for poison jab in the last slot to help vs clef but if team mates can cover it decently then swords dance or low kick are other decent options (Hydra can also 2HKO clef on the switch with correct prediction). Bisharp also works in this spot, is better vs fairies and has a slightly better defensive synergy but I prefer Weavile for the extra speed.

A reliable pivot such as Rotom-W or Lando makes an almost-mandatory partner (think about the effectiveness of the Rotom+Hoopa-U core pre-ban)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)