Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is life orb Breloom viable though? Running that instead of focus sash, choice scarf, or toxic orb to deal with one pokemon doesn't sound very optimal.

I guess I can try to figure out how to work Hippowdon onto my team.
LO Technician on Breloom is actually a standard set and is capable of hitting sickeningly hard. Sash is subpar IMO and Scarf isn't really viable either. Most you see will be LO or Toxic Orb, and Toxic Orb is mainly used by bulkier sets.

Excadrill isn't broken anyway and shouldn't be hammering through your entire team. Just go for burns, pack quick, powerful hitters etc... He really isn't that hard to deal with, although he's definitely a great 'mon in general.

Last edited:
What are some Excadrill counters? Is it just Skarmory and some fighting types? Rock Slide hit's most birds, iron head and earthquake hit everything else.
Bronzong could work well as an Excadrill counter. Levitate makes it immune to Earthquake, and Rock Slide and Iron Head are both NVE against Bronzong. Bronzong can easily Earthquake Excadrill and wear it down, and can run gyro ball alongside it to break a potential balloon.

Hey Smogon,

From experienced team builders, how does one build a successful core? I don't know where to start with regards to building a core, so it's usually weak or dosen't have good enough synergy. Thanks.

Hey Smogon,

From experienced team builders, how does one build a successful core? I don't know where to start with regards to building a core, so it's usually weak or dosen't have good enough synergy. Thanks.

The first thing you need to do in order to build a successful core is to know the prominent threats of the tier you are playing in. This is really key, since your core will need to take on the most prominent pokemon in said tier. For example, it is no good building a defensive core which is weak to several top tier mons.

Secondly, your core will need to have synergy, whether it be defensive or offensive.

To check out some cores that have been tried and tested, I reccomend viewing this topic http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/good-cores-v2.3505075/ to get you started. Look at some of the cores already made and read the reasoning behind them.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Why do most suggestions I see recommend Roost on Lati@s instead of Recover? As far as I can see, they both have the same PP, only Roost means that the Lati is temporarily vulnerable to EQ. It doesn't come up often, but still, why not just run Recover since they get both?

Why do most suggestions I see recommend Roost on Lati@s instead of Recover? As far as I can see, they both have the same PP, only Roost means that the Lati is temporarily vulnerable to EQ. It doesn't come up often, but still, why not just run Recover since they get both?
Roost doesn't actually make Lati@s ground prone, it removes the Flying typing, not Levitate. In this case, neither of them actually are Flying types, so Roost has no negative effects.

Trust me, it confused me as well.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
......huh. I could have sworn it eliminated Levitate as well, but I just tested, and it doesn't. Well then, that answers that :P

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
how do you change your name on the forums?
You go here.
Yeah, to continue, it's just preference. It's why Soft-Boiled > Roost on Mew; it's cooler. No other reason though, the moves are identical and they don't come with any illegalities.

I'm making a crawdaunt set and wanted some input here's the set
Relaxed; evs 252 att, 252 sp.def, 6 def
Adaptability obviously lol
Assault vest
Knock off
Crabhammer or aqua jet
Rock slide
Superpower or brick break

All input is welcome!(:

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Assault vest
Knock off
Crabhammer or aqua jet
Rock slide

All input is welcome!(:
First, Crawdaunt has a poor defensive typing and bad special bulk, so an Assault Vest is actually a really bad option on it. Life Orb or Choice are far superior, since they allow Crawdaunt to do what it does best: do a ton of damage. Additionally, Crawdaunt find's no use for special defense EVs, as even with an AV, it's ridiculously frail. It'd rather use max Speed to outpace uninvested Heatran, even though that's getting rare.

Second, Crawdaunt needs Crabhammer + Knock Off to wallbreak, and Aqua Jet to revenge kill. Rock Slide is useless, since its main hypothetical target, Talonflame, outspeeds an OHKOs you. Plus, Crabhammer does more damage to it on the switch, so there really is no point.

Lastly, always use Superpower > Brick Break in the last slot if you want a Fighting move.

Here's the Crawdaunt set that you should probably be using. btw, I'm just trying to help, since you were looking for input :) gl
Crawdaunt @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Assault vest
Knock off
Crabhammer or aqua jet
Rock slide

All input is welcome!(:
This set could be fixed with some minor changes, first Crawdaunt is not supposed to take hits at all so instead of investing in bulk you should invest in Attack and Speed.

Non-Trick Room Set
Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Crabhammer/Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance/Superpower

Trick Room Set
Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Crabhammer/Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance/Superpower

''CONCLUSION REACHED'' POKEMON: Pokemon in this list have reached a conclusive ideal ranking, so unless the metagame changes towards them or there is something about them that hasn't been said, discussion about them is disallowed.

• Mantine

BLACKLISTED POKEMON
  • Florges
  • Donphan
  • Heliolisk
  • Darmanitan
Rather than interrupt the viability's discussion about current ranking, I thought I would take this question to here instead. I would like to ask why each of the pokemon in the viability ranking here are blacklisted/had their conclusion reached?

Rather than interrupt the viability's discussion about current ranking, I thought I would take this question to here instead. I would like to ask why each of the pokemon in the viability ranking here are blacklisted/had their conclusion reached?
Because people kept making stupid posts about them, mainly.

edit: But yeah also what the guy below me said.
florges is 1000% outclassed by Sylveon
Donphan is 100% outclassed by Excadrill (even defensively, av exca is possible)
Helioisk and Darmanitan because most everyone agreed on a rank except this one guy who kept bringing it up, again, again, and again.

Florges: Outclassed by Sylveon
Donphan: Outclassed by Excadrill (I still use Donphan though, it's a MONSTER aha)
Heliolisk and Darmanitan: This one is weird, they are both outclassed but some dude kept bringing them up even when discussion had ended.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Every blacklisted Pokemon is there because besides of not being good enough to get a rank, its mention sparks shitty discussions constantly. The conclusion reached list is for Pokemon that have reached their ideal ranking decisively. Mantine got there because it made the thread lose focus, as a lot of people were asking why it was ranked and similar stuff, derailing the thread from more important discussion points. Once the metagame settles down, you can expect to see more Pokemon in this list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)