OU CCAT - Mark III (Laddering/Discussing - See Post #547)

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
LO Mamoswine
Forretress
Whimsicott

*Why all this love for Rotom-W :(
We're so weak to Grass atack with Ttar Keldeo Gliscor already as Gliscor only has EQ. If we take Rotom-W (and I used him in the first tests I did), I don't see how Mamoswine would fit in this team. Breloom would just do a slaughter, even with Latios, having 5 pokemon that are 0HKO (well not Gliscor but he can do nothing back, not even sub-up and he's 2HKO). So basically we sacrifice Mamoswine for Rotom-W that's not something that seem good.. moreover Heatran would be doomed aswell by the mushroom..

Yeah I agree we really need to avoid adding any more Grass weaknesses. Like, really. Bronzong is just so much better as a Tornadus counter and general defensive mon than Rotom on this team. Same goes for Mamoswine to an extent, it really isn't making it easy for us to cover weaknesses.

Noms:

EBelt Abomasnow
SpDef Bronzong
LO Latias

tehy

Banned deucer.
^That's just a dumb argument, plain and simple. Their typing's synergise well, as you seem to half-admit. The only actual objection you raised is that Hail impinges Gliscor's ability to recover. By 6%. And Hail will only commonly be up if we go directly from Aboma to Gliscor, in which case, we'll be facing something which we can actually beat and SubPass on. Having the full 12% recovery is worthless unless Gliscor is in against something it can beat. Even with Hail up, it barely hurts Gliscor's ability to stall because the Hail will hurt the opponents pokemon more than Gliscor even if they carry Leftovers.

Finally, like bubbly said Abomasnow isn't a crappy pokemon at all, it has quite a few niches. Considering Mamoswine is already one of our front runners, and Abomasnow has pretty much the same utility with Ice Shard (although it does narrowly miss out on the OHKO on the Therians after SR, but again Sand / Hail / LO damage all rectify that within one turn) but a lot of other advantages, I think it should be considered. If you need an example, look at ShakeItUp's old RMT (I think it was called Arcana Force or something) which used Tyranitar + Abomasnow effectively together, without requiring a spinner.
I don't half-admit it. It's true. That gives them terrible, rather than godawful, synergy. Firstly, every time aboma comes in, CBtar must come in, or else gliscor heals 6% a turn. Secondly, if we pivot directly from aboma to gliscor, as you admit, we'll have 6% healing a turn, which means he might not actually beat stuff he could otherwise, and can have massive holes punched in him he won't soon regenerate off, especially considering his purpose is to SUBPASS.

Gliscor is the point of our team. With hail down, he's basically OU gliscor, who was... rarely used in OU, for a good reason-6% healing is just not enough for a defensive pokemon, and in our case it's even worse, since he subpasses.

Edit: I'm making loads of sense. The net loss is not zero, because A:We'll already have SS down and B: If our attack already KO's, which it should, then we lose but they don't. And it definitely is. If he subs twice, with SR down and hail down, half his health is gone. Meanwhile, we don't have enough revenge-killers/fast pokemon, even with abomasnow's ice shard, on this team to just sack stuff any time because gliscor's worn down.
I see gliscor on hail all the time. It's bad. I'm coming from a place where a pokemon that is designed to take hits, lose 25% of its health, and occasionally wall threats for us has only 6% healing a turn. I see you watching this right now, and i want you to see this appear:
NO DEFENSIVE POKEMON, ESPECIALLY ONE THAT SUBS, CAN FUNCTION EFFECTIVELY WITH 6% HEALING A TURN.
Also:
Baton Pass Jolteon
Forretress
Specially defensive bronzong

Kay I feel honorbound to defend Murk now because first of all he's defending my nomination :) and secondly, you're not making much sense (any, actually). So what if Gliscor only has 6% healing per turn? The opponent will have either 0, or -6% healing. The net "loss" from having Hail is therefore 0, except against Ice types (the most common member of which group, Mamoswine, never switches into EBelt Abomasnow, so in the hypothetical double switch scenario this is a non issue). Yes, Gliscor is abusing Substitute, so the net loss is actually minutely more than 0, but this is nowhere near enough to justify what you're saying. If you need more evidence, consider that Gliscor is one of the absolute most popular pokemon, using its SubToxic set, on defensive Hail teams.

Also yes, Gliscor's point is to SubPass, not to stall indefinitely. Recovering 6% less health, assuming Hail is up at all, isn't significantly impinging on its ability to SubPass a few times - and like Murk said, if you're switching from Aboma to Gliscor and thus have Hail up, the vast majority of the time you're going to be able to SubPass much more easily because you'll be facing something like Heatran, Jirachi, Scizor etc. So yeah, I just really don't get where you're coming from.

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Specially Defensive Rotom-W
Specially Defensive Bronzong

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NO DEFENSIVE POKEMON, ESPECIALLY ONE THAT SUBS, CAN FUNCTION EFFECTIVELY WITH 6% HEALING A TURN.
Hello I think you forgot about Sub CM Jirachi, along with pretty much everything in the fucking metagame that runs Substitute + Leftovers

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Tally right now:

• Specially Defensive Rotom-W: 15
  • Whimsicott: 1
  • Specially Defensive Bronzong: 20
  • Life Orb Mamoswine: 2
  • Specially Defensive Jirachi: 0
  • Life Orb Latias: 5
  • Baton Pass Jolteon: 2
  • Swords Dance Lucario: 0
  • Forretress: 3
  • Specially Defensive Gastrodon: 0
  • Choice Specs Gastrodon: 0
  • Life Orb Gastrodon: 0
  • Specially Defensive Skarmory: 7
  • Expert Belt Abomasnow: 2
  • Offensive Heatran: 3
Since we had only 1 voter in the last 24 hours I guess we can close here and go ahead picking the next poke. Electrolyte is having some problems with power outages due to the hurricane, if I'm not mistaken, so we're waiting Harsha I guess.

EDIT: updated, thanks to ginganinja. Didn't realized bubbly was banned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)