Pokémon Let's Go! - Pikachu and Eevee

What you say is basically not understanding the difference between translation and localization.
They've had several case of basically literal translation that has terrible results (even more evident in some non english translations actually).

Lot of moves also completely lose part of their meaning in english (like Sucker Punch not being a punch at all, or Fake Out which loses its connection to cats)

The worst attack translation I've seen in a Pokemon game was in the Spanish versions of X and Moon. Focus Blast became "Onda Certera", or "Accurate Wave". "Glare" became "Deslumbrar", which seems to be more of the kind of glare you get from the sun rather than from someone's eyes.

The worst attack translation I've seen in a Pokemon game was in the Spanish versions of X and Moon. Focus Blast became "Onda Certera", or "Accurate Wave". "Glare" became "Deslumbrar", which seems to be more of the kind of glare you get from the sun rather than from someone's eyes.
I assume you haven't seen the Spanish oldies. "Return" was "Retroceso" as in retreat, "Counter" was "Contador" as in one who counts. "Deslumbrar" is not so bad, it can also mean "to dazzle"

I just remembered that Water Spout somehow ended as "Salpicar" in Spanish, which means "to splash". Splash itself is "Salpicadura", which is "splash" as a noun.

Presumably, all the Water-type damage power generated by all the splashing Magikarps is being stolen by the Water Spout users, who, when injured, try to draw power from the water-lacking hops of all the Hoppips and Spoinks and whatnots.

Why of all the Pokemon did they have a poor Magikarp get that Seismic Toss . Press F to pay respect.

Also why does Giovanni have a Cubone of all things:
1541599627492.png

Slightly different and much shorter English trailer.

First: I want to marry Green.

Second, more serious: Red Green and Blue are all 3 shown in the game, yet there was already a "Rival". This means they appear somewhere. PostGame bosses? Part of the plot? Simple cameos?

Slightly different and much shorter English trailer.

First: I want to marry Green.

Second, more serious: Red Green and Blue are all 3 shown in the game, yet there was already a "Rival". This means they appear somewhere. PostGame bosses? Part of the plot? Simple cameos?
Maybe the equivalents of Red in Johto games

Sabrina looks creepy.

Still not enough information about the post-game. It's what will make the difference between me buying this game or not.

BTW, Giovanni has a partner Cubone.

Cubone.

Something suspiciously smells like Pokemon Tower.

Last edited:
Sabrina looks creepy.
Assuming the game has other links to the Anime when it comes to Gym leaders (some were shown with Misty Brock and Surge), Sabrina being creepy also would match her anime version (remember how traumatized we got by her season 1 episode? D: )
Still not enough information about the post-game. It's what will make the difference between me buying this game or not.
I still doubt there's any postgame aside from the Master trainers and MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE beating those 3 shown in the trailer.

I have a hard time seeing anything more "complicate" than that seeing what the audience for this game is

Sabrina looks creepy.

Maybe there champions. Remember that leak saying that Red and Blue were in the game yet version exclusive champions? Maybe that. More interestingly, that leak was right. Not sure what Green’s role is though.

Damn that's pretty interesting. That one leak from months ago was actually right about Red/Blue being in the game.

0:08: Sabrina's Alakazam is level 44 and she has 4 mons. This looks closer to Red/Blue where she had 4 mons and a level 43 Alakazam rather than the Yellow team with the Level 50 Abra family. Seems consistent with Surge and his having a real team.

Also in the gym leader montage they show Onix being idle/Starmie using Scald/Raichu using Thunderbolt/Vileplume using mega/giga drain, seems like the TMs.

I wonder if Blue will keep his ‘ Jerk ‘ persona or will they make him a nice guy. Hopefully the former, because it would be an insult if he was changed. Anyway, this is nice, but not enough for me to buy the games because 1. The mechanics, graphics, and names are still dumbed down. 2. I’m not attached to Red, Blue, or Green because Gen 1 wasn’t my first game. 3. That 2nd to last Masuda Interview was very infuriating.

I wonder if Blue will keep his ‘ Jerk ‘ persona or will they make him a nice guy.
The pose and attitude from the trailer really hint at the former :)
That 2nd to last Masuda Interview was very infuriating.
I'm afraid almost everyone got infuriated by those, sadly.

Red is shown as challenging, Green is shown in what seems to be Victory Road.
Quoting myself, watching carefully, Green is actually in what looks like being Mewtwo's cave.
Wild guess: Red/Blue act as version specific postgame boss, and Green acts as "gatekeeper" to Mewtwo.

Last edited:
The pose and attitude from the trailer really hint at the former :)

I'm afraid almost everyone got infuriated by those, sadly.

Quoting myself, watching carefully, Green is actually in what looks like being Mewtwo's cave.
Wild guess: Red/Blue act as version specific postgame boss, and Green acts as "gatekeeper" to Mewtwo.
If Green is nothing more than a gate keeper that really insulting to older players, since GF had the nerve to put a classic character for such a minor role.

Back and ready for some more analysis.
Trailer: Giovanni's Persian is another Yellow team reference. Fighting Sabrina on the roof is cool. The gym leader art backgrounds show their gyms so you can kinda make out what Koga and Blaine's will look like. This also applies to the elite four but they only have one room anyway.

You can see the Silph Scope on Giovanni's desk and obscured pictures of Persian/Rhydon.

1541626151709.png

1541626160862.png

1541626175321.png

Website: Updated with a section on the E4, basically just some blurbs and art.

This group pic was too big for the forums so I'm leaving the link here: https://pokemonletsgo.pokemon.com/assets/img/kanto-region/reigon-elite-four.jpg
1541624775232.png
1541624794781.png

1541624830032.png

1541624838309.png

As for the Japanese website the Elite Four section is the same but they put up another set of 5 videos, this time about Meltan.

https://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/pika_vee/pv_yatte5/

At the least we can confirm that the move Meltan used against Graveler is indeed Flash Cannon (different animation) since the 4th video shows the name of the move. They showed its HP too, though candy and whatever could still be in play.

1541625320927.png

1541625472748.png

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
But let's not forget the most tragic lost in translation name change: changing Bouffalant's "Afro Break" to "Head Charge". Come on, any Pokemon can charge things with their head (what do you think Headbutt is about?), but only one Pokemon can break things with its afro!

But onto more serious stuff:
0:07: And we start with Sabrina. Her appearance leans more toward her FRLG version, however she's now wearing a short sleeve shirt, isn't wearing gloves, back of her skirt is blue, isn't wearing yellow socks underneath her boot (rather it's just plain black tights like her Gen I version), and she's wearing blue shoes. It's interesting how they got rid of her yellow clothing bits and introduced blue clothing bits (actually, all the "red and blue" stuff is odd as the original Japanese games are "red and green", internationally is was "red and blue"). Also her hair style is like her FRLG version at the top but when it comes to the end it sort of becomes the whip-like Gen I version of it. Her eyes also looks sharper, or at least her pupils are smaller to give a more tense glare.
Also, you're battling on top of a building. This makes me curious how they changed Saffron Gym. I don't recall if they showed what Saffron Gym looked like, though if they keep it similar to the original than we're not battling Sabrina in (or rather on) the Saffron Gym. With Saffron's Gym gimmick being teleport pads, it would be a neat idea if the actually teleported you to different locations throughout Saffron City, ending with you challenging Sabrina on the roof of one of Saffron's skyscrapers.
0:12: Next up is Koga. The most immediate change is that his FRLG scarf now wraps around his mouth and nose. I'd actually say his clothes more closely match his Gen I version, though any red parts are either colored navy or black. Also the pants are less baggy. Also from FRLG he has the underclothes armor on his arms, but he's wearing gloves now.
0:13: With Blaine looking like a stereotypical scientists there's really not much different you can do with him. Let's see, he got a blue shirt, tan pants like his Gen I version, the tie is different as it not only has a fire pattern but also looks like it's been burned which is a nice piece of detail. Guess his lab coat is more like his FRLG version than Gen I... let's move on.
0:15: Ah, onto the Rocket boss, Giovanni. While I joke about Blaine not changing, Giovanni is the one who doesn't stray far from is style. The only notable change in Giovanni's clothing is that his undershirt is red (yeah, I know, I'm also surprised it wasn't until Let's Go his undershirt wasn't red) and he's wearing a ring around his middle and ring finger. Most notably the middle finger ring looks to have a gem, and with Mega Evolutions in the game I wonder if Giovanni is pulling a Lysandre...
Now some have noted the Cubone with him. Considering behind him you also see the Silph Scope and Team Rocket's original plans in the Pokemon Tower was to steal Cubone skulls, I'm guessing this is the child of the Marowak ghost (giving her extra reason to be a restless ghost). Would be neat for them to reference the Origins short series and, after defeating the Marowak ghost, they have Cubone run in to finally put her spirit at rest.
0:23: Thank you doipy hooves for posting the Elite Four stock art here:
Lorelei looks to be taking her design from her Gen I sprite (having a black skirt and long sleeves), seemingly ignoring anything from her FRLG version. If there's anything else I want to note is that its cute how her ponytail clip looks like an ice crystal, the only reference to her being an ICe-type trainer across all versions of her.
Bruno is Bruno. However he too takes an inspiration from his Gen I version with his spiky wrist weights, also giving him a pair of shackle weights on his ankles similar to his FRLG version which has plain ankle weights. Finally instead of a black belt he has a belt made from a chain and a decorative belt buckle.
You can tell they had a bit of fun designing Agatha. Skipping over the obvious like her dress looking different than other versions, most notable changes is that she's now wearing a woolen green shawl and the top of her cane looks like Gengar (where as other versions had a crystal ball on top). She's also wearing boots instead of heeled slippers.
Lance is the only Elite Four member that has Gen I artwork and his Let's Go version definitely is inspired off that. He has the red jacket and boots, though no yellow parts to it. His cape looks to be more inspired off his HGSS version. Everything else looks original, even the design of the cape and shirt. Guess I could also mention his pants are now gray and this version doesn't have a belt.
0:29: ABOUT TIME! So glad to see Red and Blue are indeed in this game, especially so with Blue with how much Trace is based on him. Though we also get a surprise appearance by Gen I version of Leaf in her black dress! Red and Blue are designed just like their original Gen I artwork (Blue does have a backpack strap across his chest but that's hardly notable).
So, the big question: what are their roles in the game? The Let's Go character has taken Red's place and Trace taking Blue's role of the rival, so where do they fit in the story now? Also what about the Champion position? Trace doesn't seem like the Champion type so could they maybe he having Red or Blue be the Champion, maybe be version exclusive Champions (Red for Pikachu, Blue for Eevee)? And of course there's Leaf who looks to be at Victory Road, could she be the major battle their that's normally done by the Rival?

I wonder if Blue will keep his ‘ Jerk ‘ persona or will they make him a nice guy. Hopefully the former, because it would be an insult if he was changed.
I imagine he'll throw us a "smell ya later" but I actually can't see him being that huge of a jerk. He's Red's Rival, not ours, so there's no reason for him to be nasty to us. May gloat and act like he's the better trainer, but he won't be trying to push our buttons.

Now if this was based on Gen II I would expect Silver to still be a jerk no matter what.

That would be an interesting twist, and actually give us some post game battles worth something.

If Green is nothing more than a gate keeper that really insulting to older players, since GF had the nerve to put a classic character for such a minor role.
Sadly I feel this might be the case. Unlike Red and Blue, Leaf sadly is a footnote with her only prominent role being the girl choice in FRLG taking Red's place in the story. Blue has a character to work with and over the years they gave one to Red with him being the super boss in Gen II games, a participant in B2W2's World Tournament, and co-boss of the Battle Tree in Gen VII (where he's probably given the "most" character as he has Blue to bounce off of). But sadly this isn't the case with Leaf, they could have added her to HGSS, B2W2, and Gen VII games but they didn't because she shares the same existence space with Red. This would actually be Leaf's first time as her own character, not replacing Red, but since Red (and Blue) is the more well known character(s) that means they'll be getting the lion's share of the cameos with Leaf appearing for one MAYBE two battles. But hey, at least they remembered to add her in this time.

Meltan interaction in power plant?
Nope, listen to the music. This is Silph Co.. Power Plant uses the same theme as the Rocket Hideout underneath the Game Corner.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)