Pokémon Let's Go! - Pikachu and Eevee

It sounds like a misguided(?) attempt to "not break immersion". Maybe they felt a "Skip" button popping up on the screen mid-cutscene would "look too weird" or "break the flow of the cutscene".

That said I'm not expecting this feature to make it to future games, for one reason: From the trailers, it looks like all the cutscenes in the game are animation-only and contain no text. This means a player who turns the option on won't miss any story. Meanwhile in SM/USUM, I think almost all of the cutscenes had dialogue, so Game Freak might not want those to be skippable "for the sake of the story".

Last edited:
Is it possible that option also just turns on a skip option within the cutscenes so that you can still watch them if you want to?

As much as I'd like that to be true, I'm not betting on it.

EDIT: Welp, bet lost fair and square. Interesting move by GF. Still not expecting this feature to make it to future games though, for the reasons above and GF's "logic".

Last edited:
I want to believe USUM gave them a wake up call in some fashion. The vocal minority who actually can give constructive criticism won over the die-hard fans this time.

The first reviews are starting to come out.

Here's a few if you're curious (overally spoilerless, though it's Pokemon Yellow anyway you should know what to expect)

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/pokemon-lets-go-pikachu!

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/pokemon-lets-go-eevee!

On average it seems being getting a 8/10 score. "Good but not great".

Nothing unexpected from the review, general remarks about the UI being a bit clunky and the motion control not being always responsive properly, and that the starters are *a tiny bit overpowered* (not surprising either).

Otherwise pretty much achieves what people who don't only open their mouth to complain expected: a relaxing way to re-live Pokemon Yellow, potentially with a much younger person (like a son or relative).

Also I don't even care if it's a kid feature, this "DEAL WITH IT" expression from Eevee wins my heart.
1542129021219.png

Jesus christ, your prayers have been heard, this game is not a cakewalk
You oneshot everything with your Eevee until Misty comes around, burns your Eevee and finishes it off next turn, all while you do like 4% of damage with a 70BP STAB

Jesus christ, your prayers have been heard, this game is not a cakewalk
You oneshot everything with your Eevee until Misty comes around, burns your Eevee and finishes it off next turn, all while you do like 4% of damage with a 70BP STAB
That's why you don't pick Eevee.

But if the game is not brainless easy, I'm considering it then. The only thing I dislike is that not all reptilian Pokémon are available in the Pikachu version (the Ekans line is missing).

Last edited:
I don't have hard numbers right now but I heard the game's predicted Japanese sales aren't too hot. Splatoon 2 did better, apparently.
Unsurprising honestly, considering no matter how they put it it's still a super-casual game mainly aimed at newcomers and kids (and parents with kids).

But if the game is not brainless easy, I'm considering it then. The only thing I dislike is that not all reptilian Pokémon are available in the Pikachu version (the Ekans line is missing).
Judging by the trailers, Eevee and Pikachu make it easymode, but it's okay if you opt to not use them and at least the postgame is not complete cakewalk. A welcome surprise, honestly.

I'll still get Eevee and use Eevee myself most likely cause I don't look for a challenge on this round, but I appreciate having the option.

Didn't see this specifically mentioned, but it looks like Gamexplain's review video revealed a few bits that haven't been seen before:
- Misty briefly appears in Vermillion City and has a little extra characterization (she says she goes there because she prefers swimming in the ocean instead of in a swimming pool). She also offers to warp the player to Diglett's Cave (wut?).
- Alolan Rattata is obtainable from an in-game trade sometime before Rock Tunnel.
- The fifth floor of the Celadon Department Store now sells "accessories" (character customization?). It used to sell Vitamins; is this more evidence that EVs are gone?
- We get a look at the darkened version of Rock Tunnel (first time a darkened place has appeared since ORAS). The Flash replacement is uninspiringly named Light Up. The place looks...weird, in my opinion. Everything is colored in shades of grey, but the ground is so much lighter than the walls that it looks more like fog than darkness.
- Rocket Hideout's spin tile puzzle is still there. Interestingly, given its tight walls, the player's following Pidgeotto obeys some realistic physics - since it's more than one tile wide, if the player goes through a passage that's only one tile across, Pidgeotto gets stuck and automatically returns to its Poke Ball. It reappears once the area just behind the player is big enough to fit it.

A couple of other things that I think might've been seen before but are still noteworthy:
- Jigglypuff literally floats like a balloon on the catch screen. It also apparently can smack thrown Poke Balls away.
- Even though we've seen one on the overworld before, I still did not expect Onix to be so huge. When a wild one spawned inside Rock Tunnel and abruptly towered over the player it legitimately surprised me.

Finally, thanks to time zones and Australia's Summer Time, it looks like the game officially releases in 11.5 hours.

is this more evidence that EVs are gone?
We knew EVs were going to be gone with the Candy system - it would be weird if they sold those.
- Jigglypuff literally floats like a balloon on the catch screen. It also apparently can smack thrown Poke Balls away.
(if i recall they were GO mechanics)

eevee is better lol

For some perspective on the reviews, the games are currently between ORAS and FRLG on GameRankings. Obviously personal taste is a huge factor (eg I think ORAS are the best games in the series) but the general opinion seems to be that even with the streamlining/changing of mechanics, these fall roughly in line with previous remakes.

For some perspective on the reviews, the games are currently between ORAS and FRLG on GameRankings. Obviously personal taste is a huge factor (eg I think ORAS are the best games in the series) but the general opinion seems to be that even with the streamlining/changing of mechanics, these fall roughly in line with previous remakes.
This one has been going through so many criticism though, and the higher price tag... I want to see, if number of sales are anywhere above those games, I suppose Pokémon as a whole is going strong... for better or worse (again, those critic troubles, I'm actually worried if they succeed, unless I'm proven wrong about the game's quality which might just surprisingly good enough to justify successful sales, which we don't know how it'll be like, and I want to see soon).

The games have received better scores than BW2 in most spanish sites, some of them even claim that Pokémon Let's Go is the biggest leap forward since the beginning of the franchise. That's what happens when you let anyone who probably haven't touch (in deep) a Pokémon since Ruby and Sapphire days. There are lots of examples, here's one that gave me AIDS:

"La influencia de la obra de Niantic es importantísima, ya que de ella se recoge el sistema de captura (más interactivo)"

The influence of Niantic is of the utmost importance, for the capture system is taken from there (more interactive).

So, if we define interactivity in terms of possibilities concerning the game rules and what you are allowed and not allowed to do using the tools the game gives you, you are telling me that a game that completely removes the non-NPC battle system, thus the mechanics inherent to it like reducing the opponent HP Stat, being able to status the opponent in several ways to modify the catch rate, carry Pokémon with Mean Look or False Swipe, having 1 type of Poké Ball for every possible scenario, and... you know, being able to attack the Pokémon you have in front of you while it does the same, you are telling me that all of that is less interactive that wipping everything and just leave the part where you throw the Poké Ball.

Sure.

Last edited:
Honestly I feel the huge criticism to Let's Go stems from 3 factors (very understandably)

1) Price tag. It's easier to put up with a product that's lower quality than you'd want when it costs 40 and not 60 bucks
2) absence of competitive / lack of difficulty. Lot of people already dislike the excessive simplicity of the game story and basically only play Pokemon games for PvP or postgame facilities, so it's unappealing
3) Terrible advertising. We can't deny the advertising campaign has been a major disaster and I'd spend another hour talking of it.

Taking the game for what it really is, a hybridized yellow/go version for completely new players and super young audience, the "Good but not great" votes do not surprise me at all

Can people stop claiming it has no difficulty? Without overleveling, many Gym Leaders tear you to shreds, like Surge's Raichu or Misty's Starmie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)