Pokémon Movepool Oddities & Explanations

So I searched this thread and this find this item, so forgive if it's a reapeat.

Alolan Raichu, the surfer-inspired 'mon with the ability "Surge Surfer" and a dex entry that specifically mentions surfing, does not learn Surf.

But Sneasel does.

The good news is, A-Raichu can learn Surf (though, only the event one and the one from the surf minigame can, but still) :P
Technically speaking it's Pikachu (the non-surfer inspired, non-surf ability having, non-surfing inclinations mentioned in the dex 'mon) that gets it.

Alolan Raichu, the surfer-inspired 'mon with the ability "Surge Surfer" and a dex entry that specifically mentions surfing, does not learn Surf.
That dex entry calls it with a term that basically means "surf poser".

Also, from that very same entry: "It focuses psychic energy into its tail and rides it like it's surfing"

LIKE it's surfing, so it doesn't surf. It not learning Surf... is actually justified.

I still don't get why not letting A-raichu have a second ability (as HA or normal one) and it not being Levitate.

It's literally floating on its tail... though I guess it'd pair with Bronzong line which is the only one that doesnt have Levitate as only ability.
Levitate maybe would work better as some sort of third typing, it would let 'mons such as Beedrill to actually make sense, and allow for 'mons such as Chimecho to have an ability that allows them to hame something going for them. Maybe provide inmunity only to Earthquake, Bulldoze, Fissure and Magnitude, and add like a 25% extra weakness to Rock

Now that a Gold prototype has been dumped and datamined, we finally got the answer to that oh-so-burning question of why the Hoppip line had Pay Day (Coin for a Cat) as an Egg Move only during Gen 2, and it's the fact that the line was originally designed and named with a cat theme in mind.

In a similar vein, we now also know that the Staryu line was originally a 50/50 gender line, explaining why they had Egg Moves and could learn the Attract TM only during Gen 2.

Dedenne does not learn Dazzling Gleam.

I mean, what did GF expect from Dedenne? Did they even bother to expect anything from it? Was it an experiment to create a Pokemon without expectations? I don't even know if you can catch it in the wild in G6, eff me if I know how I have one. It was probably a covert wi-fi event that ran in the background so we never noticed a Dedenne was slipped into our cartridges while we weren't paying attention.

One thing that I never really thought about until I watched a YouTube video and looked it up:

Wooper, a Pokemon with no arms, can learn Power-Up Punch and Ice Punch.
Then again Kyurem, a Pokemon with yes arms, can't learn either of those. So it evens out.

Seriously Game Freak, liberalize the learning of Ice Punch and Icy Wind, I'm really tired of seeing Hidden Power Ice in every single set

Sometimes, things in Pokemon happen for joke reasons. The super slow pokemon gets the move intended for being fast because its funny. At least Slowpoke can use it in trick room which is more than can be said for a lot of the middling speed pokemon that get it.
Final Gambit Shedinja also comes to mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)