Pokémon Unite

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Game isn't a year old yet so not sure what to think of this.

It certainly looks bad, though despite having the Pokemon brand it's coming in with two disadvantages: (1) It's competing with a lot of other established MOBAs who fanbase may not be willing to jump ship & (2) New content has been lacking from what I've seen.

"There's more then that". Yeah but I'm trying to be subjective, you'd be surprised what an audience (with money to spend) would be willing to overlook if a game was "worth it". And obviously Unite isn't.

For point 2 I think the main crux there is that for a franchise nearing 900+ Pokemon (and well over 1k if we count alternate forms) it's initial roster is kinda poor with little reason. Like, Pokken Tournament also has a small roster but that's because each Pokemon is given a unique fighting style that makes them feel different, not to mention they bolster that number via Assist Pokemon who each have their own way of providing support. But Unite, while it does make the Pokemon's skills different, it just looks like they pulled the models right from the mainline games and when they attack is just a generic pose + special effects. They can claim game balance all they want but when you're not doing anything dynamic with the model you're not really selling people it takes some time to make each character (and even then we still get busted characters like Gengar). Also, being a reskin of other popular MOBAs, there's already a lot of "character templates" you can just copy/adjust so why are there so few characters even after the initial batch? This isn't a new IP where you want people to become familiar with a few characters before introducing more to expand the lore, this is Pokemon, people are already familiar with the characters so you can include more. Heck, I even suggested an easy way to have more Pokemon be playable: Allow similar Pokemon to be swap in: Torterra with Venusaur, Volcarona with Charizard, Clawitzer with Blastoise, any Pikaclone with Pikachu, Glaceon with Alolan Ninetales, Clefable with Jigglypuff, Conkeldurr with Machamp, Slowking with Slowbro, Dusknoir with Gengar, Jynx with Mr. Mime, Slaking with Snorlax, Salamence with Dragonite, etc.. Though instead they did costumes which, eh, I guess is fine but a thing about costumes is to make them worth it you're going to need a batch to both start out with and constant be releasing which they haven't been.

But honestly I feel point 1 is the true killer. Because the only ones who would really dedicate themselves to Unite would be people who already play MOBAs, and, well, they're already taken. Those players who spent millions in Brawl Stars, Mobile Legends, Arena and Valor, and Wild Rift? They're not switching, they never will because they already have spent so much on their chosen MOBA. Maybe they'll throw a dollar or two to Pokemon Unite if they want a slightly different flavor, but they're not going to spend more then that especially for a costume. And if they were hoping for the Pokemon players to jump on, no, I feel the gameplay is too different it wouldn't hook them plus they also have GO and Masters to spend their money on.

But, as I said, it's not even a year old. Maybe it's just growing pains and a year or two down the line (I do believe they'll probably give it at least that long before deciding anything definite) it could really turn around and be making the dirty money that they're hoping it would be making. But right now? Whether it's another MOBA or Pokemon side games, there's something better than Unite on offer.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Game isn't a year old yet so not sure what to think of this.

It certainly looks bad, though despite having the Pokemon brand it's coming in with two disadvantages: (1) It's competing with a lot of other established MOBAs who fanbase may not be willing to jump ship & (2) New content has been lacking from what I've seen.

"There's more then that". Yeah but I'm trying to be subjective, you'd be surprised what an audience (with money to spend) would be willing to overlook if a game was "worth it". And obviously Unite isn't.

For point 2 I think the main crux there is that for a franchise nearing 900+ Pokemon (and well over 1k if we count alternate forms) it's initial roster is kinda poor with little reason. Like, Pokken Tournament also has a small roster but that's because each Pokemon is given a unique fighting style that makes them feel different, not to mention they bolster that number via Assist Pokemon who each have their own way of providing support. But Unite, while it does make the Pokemon's skills different, it just looks like they pulled the models right from the mainline games and when they attack is just a generic pose + special effects. They can claim game balance all they want but when you're not doing anything dynamic with the model you're not really selling people it takes some time to make each character (and even then we still get busted characters like Gengar). Also, being a reskin of other popular MOBAs, there's already a lot of "character templates" you can just copy/adjust so why are there so few characters even after the initial batch? This isn't a new IP where you want people to become familiar with a few characters before introducing more to expand the lore, this is Pokemon, people are already familiar with the characters so you can include more. Heck, I even suggested an easy way to have more Pokemon be playable: Allow similar Pokemon to be swap in: Torterra with Venusaur, Volcarona with Charizard, Clawitzer with Blastoise, any Pikaclone with Pikachu, Glaceon with Alolan Ninetales, Clefable with Jigglypuff, Conkeldurr with Machamp, Slowking with Slowbro, Dusknoir with Gengar, Jynx with Mr. Mime, Slaking with Snorlax, Salamence with Dragonite, etc.. Though instead they did costumes which, eh, I guess is fine but a thing about costumes is to make them worth it you're going to need a batch to both start out with and constant be releasing which they haven't been.

But honestly I feel point 1 is the true killer. Because the only ones who would really dedicate themselves to Unite would be people who already play MOBAs, and, well, they're already taken. Those players who spent millions in Brawl Stars, Mobile Legends, Arena and Valor, and Wild Rift? They're not switching, they never will because they already have spent so much on their chosen MOBA. Maybe they'll throw a dollar or two to Pokemon Unite if they want a slightly different flavor, but they're not going to spend more then that especially for a costume. And if they were hoping for the Pokemon players to jump on, no, I feel the gameplay is too different it wouldn't hook them plus they also have GO and Masters to spend their money on.

But, as I said, it's not even a year old. Maybe it's just growing pains and a year or two down the line (I do believe they'll probably give it at least that long before deciding anything definite) it could really turn around and be making the dirty money that they're hoping it would be making. But right now? Whether it's another MOBA or Pokemon side games, there's something better than Unite on offer.
I'm NGL I just think everything in this post is wrong. It sounds like you're basing this off of playerbase and revenue, and we don't have those stats as far as I know. From what we can tell, Unite is doing very well on both fronts, though. Matchmaking is speedy in most regions (apparently it's rough in Australia, but most games are lol) and that's only gotten better after they reworked matchmaking to be fairer. Anywhere in the world there are hundreds of people in every rank playing at any given time, and that's about the best that any MOBA can hope for.

Gengar is legit one of the worst characters in the game and has been since like the first balance patch. It sounds like you haven't played since then tbh ^^"

The idea of having different Pokémon swap into the same character slot is predicated on your idea that they're not doing anything unique with the Pokémon given, and is false. Torterra can't swap into Venusaur because it can't learn Sludge Bomb or Petal Dance; Volcarona can't use Charizard's Unite Move at all it doesn't have arms; Clawitzer would function very differently to Blastoise's basic attacks because it goes from 1 shot of water to 2 owing to Blastoise' dual cannons (and Clawitzer doesn't learn Rapid Spin) etc. etc.. The only suggestion you made that would be at all viable is swapping Slowking with Slowbro, and that's because they're basically the same Pokémon to start with.

The speed of new content has been wonderful. It's rarely too long for the game to start feeling stale, and gives enough time for F2P players to build up their coin stock to get whatever new Pokémon comes out. If they were churning out new Pokémon every week, the pressure to spend money builds drastically.

The fanbase for this game seems to be probably 30% MOBA fans and 70% new to the format Nintendo/Pokémon fans, so I disagree with you on that front too. The playerbase is pretty loyal and isn't taken.

That's not to say Unite is perfect, but none of your issues with it are valid issues tbh. The main thing Unite actually needs is for ranked mode to have a ban/pick phase so that the meta can be more complex.

Daylight

angels roll their eyes
is an Artistis a Contributor to Smogon
So I just had the most fantastic ranked game with my sister.
1642881945233.png

1642881957940.png

1642881976109.png

1642882040744.png

As you can see, 280 points scored, 19 kills, 100k+ damage. Lots of fun. Blissey & Ninetales are quite the effective team.

1642882187356.png

So I’m curious, what ‘mons & builds are everyone here playing with? Personally I run the exact same thing on all the mons I play (Ninetales, Sylveon, Gardevoir, Eldegoss): Score Shield, Buddy Barrier, and Choice Specs. For me, Score Shield and Buddy Barrier are essential items. You can clutch so many wins with them. Even if you lose Zapdos/Articuno, Score Shield backed by a Buddy Barrier plus any innate shielding (like Eldegoss’ Cotton Guard or even Gardevoir’s Moonblast) can let you eke out a win with some eighth hour scoring.

The final item is kinda flexible but since I mainly play special attackers who aren’t too reliant on their basic attacks I usually go for Choice Specs. Were I to use the Aurora Veil build on Tales though, for example, I might switch to Muscle Band. Speaking of, I’m partial to the bursty Avalanche + Blizzard build on Ninetales. It’s great for positioning and does a surprising amount of damage. I think there are merits to all options though.

Does anyone else here main Ninetales? What do you run on him?

I'm NGL I just think everything in this post is wrong. It sounds like you're basing this off of playerbase and revenue, and we don't have those stats as far as I know.
Proof that people don't read the previous page

315111 is responding to my post last page about this image

the downloads are really good but player spending is bad relative to the amount of people playing the game of couse

more details last page

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Gengar is legit one of the worst characters in the game and has been since like the first balance patch. It sounds like you haven't played since then tbh ^^"
I don't play at all. I'm an outside observer (BTW I don't play GO or Masters either, I hardly play any of the mobile phone stuff as it just doesn't interest me). However I have an interest in them as it's a direction which the Pokemon franchise can and has taken and what happens on the mobile market could affect the console games and franchise as a whole. However, I will admit that means I have a blind spot to what is actually going on so can only reflect upon what I've heard and seen. I'm not exactly defending my ignorance/naivety, and it's good that you brought up those counterpoints so I know things aren't as down as I was lead to believe.

The idea of having different Pokémon swap into the same character slot is predicated on your idea that they're not doing anything unique with the Pokémon given, and is false. Torterra can't swap into Venusaur because it can't learn Sludge Bomb or Petal Dance; Volcarona can't use Charizard's Unite Move at all it doesn't have arms; Clawitzer would function very differently to Blastoise's basic attacks because it goes from 1 shot of water to 2 owing to Blastoise' dual cannons (and Clawitzer doesn't learn Rapid Spin) etc. etc.. The only suggestion you made that would be at all viable is swapping Slowking with Slowbro, and that's because they're basically the same Pokémon to start with.
Alright, so my idea can't exactly be done, but at the same time that doesn't mean they can't use the base Pokemon as a setup template for another one and then switchout some moves that would make sense for that Pokemon. Pretty much do a Super Smash Bros with the Echo Fighters, a character that's overall the same but with slight tweaks they either do the same job but in different ways or they have a similar moveset but have different roles.

If they were churning out new Pokémon every week, the pressure to spend money builds drastically.
Serious question, do they ever release some stuff for free? Like notably a new character. Like with my idea above, since they would be working off an already existing template that would save production time thus maybe allow for such characters to be given as a freebie. Save having to spend money on characters that have an entirely unique play style.

The fanbase for this game seems to be probably 30% MOBA fans and 70% new to the format Nintendo/Pokémon fans
Hate to be "that guy", but where did you get those numbers from?

Daylight

angels roll their eyes
I don't play at all. I'm an outside observer (BTW I don't play GO or Masters either, I hardly play any of the mobile phone stuff as it just doesn't interest me).
Tbh, based on your earlier post, this is pretty evident. Not that that automatically means your points are invalid or that Unite doesn’t have issues, but I have to agree with Celever that it seems like the issues you’re bringing up seem kind of… divorced from the experience of the game. At least, the points outside of the literal fact that there are tons of downloads and players but only a relatively small percentage of those players are actually spending money on the game.

Like, new content isn’t really lacking. It actually comes in at a great pace. New Pokémon are introduced about every month or so, and lots of other stuff accompanies them as well as fills the gaps between them. It’s fast to keep the game feeling fresh. But slow enough that you don’t have that overwhelming FOMO experience.

It’s also super free-to-play friendly at the current pace. If you play regularly you easily accumulate enough in-game currency to buy whatever Pokémon and items you want without ever having to spend any real money (which, is honestly maybe why they’re not making as much as they could be). The only thing that actually costs real money are the cosmetic options (“holowear”) you can purchase for your Pokémon. And they totally got me to drop cash on both of Ninetales’ outfits lol. But as far as stuff that actually effects gameplay, all of it is easily accessible just by playing the game.

And as far as the roster being poor, it’s actually… not? As of today, there are 30 playable characters, all of them with distinct playstyles and mechanics. With Aegislash on its way for Valentine’s Day! (And it looks pretty fun. Stance Change was implemented in a really intuitive way!) Plus the roster has a great mix of super popular ‘mons like Gardevoir and Gengar as well as quirkier includes like Cramorant and Crustle. I mean, I guess if that’s poor to you then that’s fine and you’re of course entitled to your opinion. But like Celever said, the Pokémon are all uniquely implemented. They’re really not interchangeable, for everything from animations to abilities.

As far as competition with other MOBAs go, I wouldn’t really know, as I’m in the other category of players personally. I was drawn to Unite because of Pokémon, not because it’s a MOBA, and have stayed because it’s surprisingly fun and intuitive! (I also play Pokémon GO a bit too fwiw.) Even if another MOBA had way better gameplay, I wouldn’t be interested because I’m here in large part to play as my favorite Pokémon.

All that being said, I’m definitely curious about the future of Unite considering the new info Rapti brought up. I personally hope they stick with the monetization of the game being primarily limited to cosmetics/outfits.

Serious question, do they ever release some stuff for free? Like notably a new character. Like with my idea above, since they would be working off an already existing template that would save production time thus maybe allow for such characters to be given as a freebie. Save having to spend money on characters that have an entirely unique play style.
Actually! They very recently did. Tsareena was recently released and given to all players for free. So was Zeraora. And, in addition to the starter Pokémon you choose, playing for two week nets you Ninetales, Cinderace, Greninja, and I believe Crustle? Plus completing the beginner/tutorial stuff gets you enough coins to buy any one Pokémon of your choice. And you get coins every day just for playing. And they give out trial periods (“trial licenses”) for Pokémon pretty regularly.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It’s also super free-to-play friendly at the current pace. If you play regularly you easily accumulate enough in-game currency to buy whatever Pokémon and items you want without ever having to spend any real money (which, is honestly maybe why they’re not making as much as they could be). The only thing that actually costs real money are the cosmetic options (“holowear”) you can purchase for your Pokémon. And they totally got me to drop cash on both of Ninetales’ outfits lol. But as far as stuff that actually effects gameplay, all of it is easily accessible just by playing the game.
Actually! They very recently did. Tsareena was recently released and given to all players for free. So was Zeraora. And, in addition to the starter Pokémon you choose, playing for two week nets you Ninetales, Cinderace, Greninja, and I believe Crustle? Plus completing the beginner/tutorial stuff gets you enough coins to buy any one Pokémon of your choice. And you get coins every day just for playing. And they give out trial periods (“trial licenses”) for Pokémon pretty regularly.
Oh, well, I guess that's our answer right there then! Like, good on them for making it super accessible like that (and giving some of the new Pokemon for free). But that now brings more questions to mind (Did they think players would be less patient and buy more shortcuts? Is the player base indeed that patient they're willing to wait until they earn enough in-game currency or is there another factor at work?).

Daylight

angels roll their eyes
Oh, well, I guess that's our answer right there then! Like, good on them for making it super accessible like that (and giving some of the new Pokemon for free). But that now brings more questions to mind (Did they think players would be less patient and buy more shortcuts? Is the player base indeed that patient they're willing to wait until they earn enough in-game currency or is there another factor at work?).
I’m honestly not sure what their plan was tbh. Paying real money only allows you to do one thing in the game that you couldn’t do just by playing the game for a week. That is, buy outfits/cosmetics. That’s literally the only thing.

You can buy Pokemon & battle items with real money. But battle items only have to be purchased once and are cheap/easy to acquire with the in-game currency and a bunch are given to you for free anyway. And unless you want to unlock like 5+ characters at once, you get a steady enough stream of coins just by playing to unlock whatever ‘mon you want. And like I mentioned before, a bunch are given to you for free anyway. Upgrading your items is harder but can only be done with in-game currency anyway. Not real money. So I guess in an effort to make it free-to-play friendly, they made their revenue reliant on people paying 20-40$ for this…

1642925558613.jpeg

Which… I totally spent. But obviously the majority of players are not spending that. (Which I 100% understand.) So yeah, very accessible game. With some very expensive cosmetic options.

Last edited:
I’m honestly not sure what their plan was tbh. Paying real money only allows you to do one thing in the game that you couldn’t do just by playing the game for a week. That is, buy outfits/cosmetics. That’s literally the only thing.
That isn’t true. For starters, the majority of Pokémon are locked behind currency of some kind whether free or paid, but here’s the thing: From the reviews of NintendoLife and Arlo, the game actually limits how much free currency you can get in a week. According to NintendoLife, if you want to get Gardevoir through F2P, you have to spend a month roughly. That’s a lot of devotion to the game. While free, it strongly encourages you to pay in order to speed up the tedious grind. And yeah, it’s true that they give you free stuff. But it’s part of the trap to keep you paying. By giving you free stuff on a daily basis, it creates a sense of commitment that encourages you to keep playing. As well as the currencies. The currencies are numerous for the same reason. There is a factor in why you don’t see that many currencies in a regular game. A lot of people fail to understand that their are real psychological decisions designed to exploit people and break down the wall of “ I will never pay a cent “, especially those with addictions. I know this from personal experience- as someone who loves shopping and spending money, these games are a trap. I have been whaled on a lot of money in the past for other F2P games, and because of that I avoid F2P games at all costs. The more is kind of behavior is tolerated, the more difficult is to stop companies from implementing it, which is a problem because lootboxes ( which Unite has ) have been shown to promote gambling addictions and because lootbox addictions are a recent thing, lot of people don’t understand it is a serious mental condition on par with drug addiction. If you don’t have the desire the spend, it’s not because the hook isn’t there, you are just not the target. The target being those with gambling addictions or those who like to spend money. But if they find a way to get to you they will. This is all made worse by the fact that Pokémon Unite is a game intended for children. In other words, Pokémon Unite is a symbol of TPC’s avarice and is completely disgusting and I hope these low purchases are a sign for the game to stop being supported.

Here are some very good videos discussing Unite’s predatory nature :

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
That isn’t true. For starters, the majority of Pokémon are locked behind currency of some kind whether free or paid, but here’s the thing: From the reviews of NintendoLife and Arlo, the game actually limits how much free currency you can get in a week. According to NintendoLife, if you want to get Gardevoir through F2P, you have to spend a month roughly. That’s a lot of devotion to the game. While free, it strongly encourages you to pay in order to speed up the tedious grind. And yeah, it’s true that they give you free stuff. But it’s part of the trap to keep you paying. By giving you free stuff on a daily basis, it creates a sense of commitment that encourages you to keep playing. As well as the currencies. The currencies are numerous for the same reason. There is a factor in why you don’t see that many currencies in a regular game. A lot of people fail to understand that their are real psychological decisions designed to exploit people and break down the wall of “ I will never pay a cent “, especially those with addictions. I know this from personal experience- as someone who loves shopping and spending money, these games are a trap. I have been whaled on a lot of money in the past for other F2P games, and because of that I avoid F2P games at all costs. The more is kind of behavior is tolerated, the more difficult is to stop companies from implementing it, which is a problem because lootboxes ( which Unite has ) have been shown to promote gambling addictions and because lootbox addictions are a recent thing, lot of people don’t understand it is a serious mental condition on par with drug addiction. If you don’t have the desire the spend, it’s not because the hook isn’t there, you are just not the target. The target being those with gambling addictions or those who like to spend money. But if they find a way to get to you they will. This is all made worse by the fact that Pokémon Unite is a game intended for children. In other words, Pokémon Unite is a symbol of TPC’s avarice and is completely disgusting and I hope these low purchases are a sign for the game to stop being supported.

Here are some very good videos discussing Unite’s predatory nature :

The currency calculation is disregarding events which decrease the amount of time needed to unlock a pokemon to about 2-3 week of playing somewhat regularly. You can have any opinion you want on f2p games but the reality is that 1- games have to be monetized somehow 2- this game is pretty tame in terms of predatory practices compared to other stuff on the moba mobile market like supercell games or even aov, where the progression is much slower and content is added way faster. The game even gave out 3 free full-upgrades for items, which would otherwise have been the only are where there'd be a gap between f2p and p2w players. The lootbox element in the game is also very trivial, and considering the very small pool of items you can obtain through it (and the fact that every item in it is buyable through free in-game currency), I find it hard to compare to actual gacha-heavy games (everything genshin, arknights, fgo), which are the ones we usually talk about when thinking of lootbox addiction. Even compare this to something like Overwatch where, in a full-priced "regular" game mind you, 99% of collectibles are locked behind a gacha system. Yes, all of those thing are still scumy, but the reality of the game is that someone who decides to pay in this game will have close to no actual gameplay advantages. I do agree with your views on f2p monetary practices as a whole, the least we have the best the world will be as a whole, and I'm sorry to hear about your past mishaps with them, but if this post is any indicative of how whale-aversive this game is, I find this a weird horse to back.

I've been playing pretty regularly, almost F2P (Just bought the first battle pass, and will use the rest of my gems when something actually appealing comes up)

Hit masters this season after barely missing last one.

I think the game is very good. A nice straightforward and simple moba experience. I play on switch, so don't have a lot to say about mobile numbers.
But broadly speaking, new characters come out pretty often, balance is pretty good (although i'd appreciate comprehensive patch notes rather than relying on unite-db.com)

I do think the premium skins are vastly too expensive though, which probably explains the reluctance of the player-base to spend. The "basic" skins are honestly kind of bland.

Also i think the cap on income issues are vastly exaggerated. You would have to play a pretty unreasonable amount to hit the cap, so it's kind of irrelevant. I can get pretty much any character i want when it releases, but skip them if they don't interest me, or they're redundant with something i already play. (E.G. i have all the other defenders, but have skipped Trevenant cause it doesn't look fantastic).

Been a while, but the recent update added something real nice to the game: Achievements! Now you can earn aeos tickets, cosmetics, and most importantly coins by reaching certain milestones in the game. This is a B I G boon for f2p players as you can easily rack up thousamds of coins for free on top of the recent trend of unite offering free double coin cards during events.

Been a while, but the recent update added something real nice to the game: Achievements! Now you can earn aeos tickets, cosmetics, and most importantly coins by reaching certain milestones in the game. This is a B I G boon for f2p players as you can easily rack up thousamds of coins for free on top of the recent trend of unite offering free double coin cards during events.
Yeah this new system is great! I got like ~4k coins just from all the achievements that were already completed. They have been really generous with the coins lately and lately there's been missions to get free holowear too, as a f2p player myself I'm really happy with how things are going and hope they stay that way.

What is your favourite Pokémon to use in Pokémon Unite?

I'll start, mine is Decidueye. It's really satisfying to hit enemies for a huge damage from far away with spirit shackle, it does well depending on how the game goes. Razor Leaf may not be viable when you're on your own, but considering I play a lot more against the CPUs, I use it a lot more often, and with attack weight it can do a lot of damage.

I do enjoy Espeon as well, but I still don't think the Psyshock Psybeam set works well for me, though the Stored Power Future Sight set is fun due to the buff, so I do play it occasionally.

Have had a pretty good experience with Glaceon as well, using the trial and using it in offline mode, shredding with Icicle Spear. Don't think it's my favourite yet, though.

What about everyone else?

Last edited:
What is your favourite Pokémon to use in Pokémon Unite?

I'll start, mine is Decidueye. It's really satisfying to hit enemies for a huge damage from far away with spirit shackle, it does well depending on how the game goes. Razor Leaf may not be viable when you're on your own, but considering I play a lot more against the CPUs, I use it a lot more often, and with attack weight it can do a lot of damage.

I do enjoy Espeon as well, but I still don't think the Psyshock Psybeam set works well for me, though the Stored Power Future Sight set is fun due to the buff, so I do play it occasionally.

Have had a pretty good experience with Glaceon as well, using the trial and using it in offline mode, shredding with Icicle Spear. Don't think it's my favourite yet, though.

What about everyone else?
I've been having fun playing Mamoswine lately. I use the Icicle Crash and High Horsepower build, with HP and Cooldown reduction emblems, and Attack Weight, Score Shield and Weakness Policy. I love just locking people in CC hell lol, it's really deadly if I've got a good teammate with me. And if I can get a few stacks I can deal really good damage too.

Sounds fun! I've personally never gotten into mamoswine nor have i bought them , don't like the Unite move and the lack of healing is disappointing, but yea the cc on mamoswine is great, if there were other qualities i liked about the mon I'd totally buy it. Glad you're enjoying playing Mamoswine :)

I was neutral about it from the start, wasn't overreacting like a lot of people did. For some period before it was released I did forget about it though. I started playing on Day 2 and there definitely were some frustrating moments, but I've always wanted to come back. The concept is great to me honestly, and it keeps me wanting to play it. I can't say that I envisioned how it was going to be beforehand though, I'm not familiar with MOBAs at all. But I'm glad I gave it a go.

So, Buzzwole came out recently. Personally I am not a huge fan of the mon, it seems really mediocre, and the early game is really not pleasant, so I will be holding off on buying it for now. Mega Punch is a fine move, with low cooldown and decent enough damage, but Fell Stinger, while stronger than mega punch and gets strengthened by the muscle increments, still does not do enough damage nor heal enough for me. This combined with the fact that it does not have too much survivability outside of that, makes it really hard to function unless you are jungling with it, in which case it'd be a lot harder to stack attack weight, which is 100% necessary.
Superpower/Lunge definitely seems like the better set right now, if you were to run it. It really lacks chase potential without getting a kill (which activates Beast Boost, giving a movement speed increase), though, so personally I think razor claw is a must, it needs that slow, as well as x speed to further help it with securing a kill in the first place.
Granted I haven't played it a huge amount, but Buzzwole has never felt like it worked well to me.
Anyone else have any thoughts on the mon?

Well, Tyranitar has been out for a few days now. There is no denying that it's super broken once it evolves, the ability to almost constantly ignore defences and shields is insane, along with you getting the huge shields from ancient power. Then to top it off, the unite move has a 20% hp execute, while still ignoring defences and shields, with even stronger basic attacks, it's just absolutely unstoppable during the unite move in the right situation. Honestly, it's also very fun to play as well, even if the early game is not too good, I'd say the best part of it's early game is the stun on Bite, though that temporary attack increase from Rock Polish is pretty cool as well.

There's also a new map coming soon called Theia Sky Ruins to replace every 5v5 map in the game until some point later on, showcased in this video, along with the 3 upcoming Pokémon: Mew, Scizor and Dodrio. Mew is coming pretty soon as well, on the 2nd of September, the same time as the new map.
The map seems very, very different to the current one, as all the pokemon have changed, the wild pokemon spawn times, as well as the jungle buffs.

Mew also has a really interesting concept, in that it can switch between 6 moves, and use 4 at a time, will be interesting to see how it plays out.

The upcoming stuff definitely seems exciting to me, what are everyone else's thoughts?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I hate the Theia Sky Ruins map and a lot of the Mew farm stuff. It's insufferable.

Kill Rayquaza 20 times - that's so hard because in a lot of instances you either are losing and won't have the chance for Ray - or in such a commanding position you don't need Ray either. It seems like a really weird rock and hard place type thing. This also goes for the "Kill Regis" ones too - If you're losing you usually won't progress on this much at all over a match. And only 2/3 spawns a game make it slow to get as well.

Get a tonne of Assists/KOs/Goals - Kinda OK just long ass farms. If you play supporters/defenders a lot your KO rate will likely go up pretty slowly though. Its just tough.

The playing games ones aren't so bad, but its like 45 games (Thats a lot) - and 45 quicks so even more.

The AI mode against Leon and his friends is pretty fun though. Up to Expert level on that and it still isn't too difficult, I think I have to win a few more games on that difficulty to unlock the final one though. Not sure how big the jump is either. We had one game where Leon's AI literally just fed like no tomorrow and it was pretty amusing.

I hate the Theia Sky Ruins map and a lot of the Mew farm stuff. It's insufferable.
1663320509390.png

I've been 5 stacking and as of an hour ago, the natus are gone/blue buff nerfed/glaceon shard stacking nerfed, these are the three main points of this patch. Bunnelbys spawning later instead of at the beginning of the game as a replacement for natus counteracts Mew clicking solarbeam and being able to get 6 natus AND the baltoy in the middle.

that's so hard because in a lot of instances you either are losing and won't have the chance for Ray
this kind of seems like a skill issue/a YOU issue, as i saw many with the rayquaza hat (getting ray 20 times) day 1 and increasingly throughout the first week lmao,
or in such a commanding position you don't need Ray either
Back capping is where this comes into play, if you're already ahead in points you just zone them out and watch out for your tier 1/2 pads depending on how much of a commanding position you're in, its not that hard unless you're playing with griefers, and which at that point it is what it is :v4:

I'm with DHR here - Killing Ray isn't worth it when you're ahead, and when you're behind, you're usually better off trying to back-cap. Especially in solo-Q where having your team form up happens rarely enough to feel secure in bursting down Ray.

Great to see blue buff and Regieleki getting toned down at least.

This map is really different than the last one and i think most people are adjusting to it at completely different speeds. It took some time for me to feel comfortable with it, and what mons felt good. Mostly was playing mediocre Glaceon Jungle when i could, or experimenting in lane. Razor Leaf Decidueye has been feeling a lot better to me, but i have no idea why because all logic points towards it being bad.

I've mostly settled on Top Lane Mamoswine (Weakness Policy, Muscle Band, Focus Band, White Emblems with a bit of Blue) as my default for now as I'm very comfortable bullying early and I value breaking top goal before Eleki really highly.

Yea I still don't have mew, having to do quick battles on my own
The AI mode against Leon and his friends is pretty fun though. Up to Expert level on that and it still isn't too difficult, I think I have to win a few more games on that difficulty to unlock the final one though. Not sure how big the jump is either. We had one game where Leon's AI literally just fed like no tomorrow and it was pretty amusing.
This mode is like, surprisingly challenging. The mons seem so strong and better AI there. Annoying that you have to pay coins if you wanna play more than once though.
Nice they already nerfed blue buff, it really needed it.

Now onto my opinions. It's honestly quite refreshing how much Regieleki does, which makes invading even more viable, which is fun. Definitely cool that they've nerfed the jungle as well, it gives a lot of experience. Gengar and glaceon should be much more manageable now. I do like this change in that Rayquaza isn't necessarily game-breaking anymore, though it is definitely a win condition if you play well, I think it's cool. Am also loving mew on offline mode, can't wait to unlock it when I do. Solar beam is busted, so is the boosted attack, over 180% spa scaling on a boosted is huge. All it's other moves are usable as well, light screen especially is cool, gives that damage boost to solar beam and also damage reduction at the cost of smaller radius when you click it again. Coaching is also cool, because you can just keep spamming it if you have allies nearby, which means lots of boosted attacks, which is very fun as well. I'd most likely buy this mon even if it wasn't free. In the daily trainer matches i've mainly used Mr. Mime and Glaceon, glaceon especially struggled to live.

Speaking of Mr. Mime though, my god is the change incredible. Power swap is so fucking powerful, it even got nerfed like 2 or 3 days after release, to lower the healing (which I definitely think needed nerfing, you could so reliably outlive things compared to now), as well as the stun on light screen and barrier, and the changed psychic. It's really cool that it basically requires nothing now to stun an enemy if you hit them with psychic, on top of a small DPS. Honestly it went from debatably the worst mon in the game to maybe top 3 right now, and I'm here for it :) Praying it doesn't get more nerfs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)