Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but with the current mechanics, even a 75BP move mould hit for less in doubles or triples.
Unless I'm wrong or they change that too.
Where did you get that from?
Scald is a weaker surf with a 98,5% chance to inflict BRN status, which only happens to be commonly associated with fire.
He's using a changed Scald as an example of what he was talking about, not that it acts like a fire type move

Can anyone tell me why the heck is the Pokemon Youtube channel uploading "UK Trailers" when they are almost the exact same as the non-uk ones?

Can anyone tell me why the heck is the Pokemon Youtube channel uploading "UK Trailers" when they are almost the exact same as the non-uk ones?
There's no reason. You're right, the british version has everything that was in the english trailer, only it was slightly condensed to be five seconds shorter. wat

There's no reason. You're right, the british version has everything that was in the english trailer, only it was slightly condensed to be five seconds shorter. wat
Maybe it's a goofy thing with the UK sites that they need their own versions of the videos?

Maybe it has something to do with video restrictions for some counties. So they are uploading their own versions?

I'm really not sure what to think of it...

Well the Brits generally want their own versions of things. Especially a game thats set in France; I wonder what they'll think.

a psychic cat being called "espurr" isn't so ridiculous an idea that only a fan would come up with it
Yes, but they don't usually redo similar concepts so soon after a generation, and, oh

PURRLOIN

Also, if a pokemon WERE to need the gyroscope to evolve:
Emulators? LOL.

Edit: Oh, right. Purugly.
Still.

Yes, but they don't usually redo similar concepts so soon after a generation, and, oh

PURRLOIN

Also, if a pokemon WERE to need the gyroscope to evolve:
Emulators? LOL.

Edit: Oh, right. Purugly.
Still.
Man, it isn't even worth worrying about. Espurr was a fanmade pokemon. One quick google search will show you that the specific design for Espurr in that leak, including it's type, description, and evolutionary line(though it looks likt they made up their own name for the evolution), were made by an artist who was/is working on their own fanmade Pokemon region. I'm calling it, the source made up the majority of that last batch of "leaks"

Who said it learns Confusion? For all we know, that squiggly lines technique may have been Psychic, which it may have only known through a TM.
If they do respectively learn Rollout, Howl and Quick Attack at level 8, then new players will get introduced to three very different fighting mechanics that break the rules of a typical battle early on (multi-turn, speed priority, successful escapes without trying to run away), so those techniques on them are pretty good choices, I think.
Howl, not roar.

Man, it isn't even worth worrying about. Espurr was a fanmade pokemon. One quick google search will show you that the specific design for Espurr in that leak, including it's type, description, and evolutionary line(though it looks likt they made up their own name for the evolution), were made by an artist who was/is working on their own fanmade Pokemon region. I'm calling it, the source made up the majority of that last batch of "leaks"
Yeah, well, as I think I've told YOU, I did come up with Eelektrik (the name at least) before it was real, and same basically with litwik. Just because it's been fan-made doesn't mean it'll never be a pokemon.

Maybe, but I doubt it. "Espurr" isn't exactly a stretch to think of, and it's not the first time fans have given fakemons names that were later used (see this as an example). Some very real Pokemon names are decidedly uncreative puns or portmanteaus. I personally think the leak is likely true, but even if you don't, trying to discredit it with naming similarities is hardly the way to go.

Just saying, I don't think that Helioptile will retain his Electric/Normal typing when he evolves.
Evolves? Helioptile gave me the feeling of an emolga or pachirisu, despite not being a rodent. I have a feeling that this is a one-stage 'mon.

NOTE: I apologize for commenting again on older topics. I just got back from a weekend away and am reading through what I missed and commenting where I feel it is fit.

Maybe, but I doubt it. "Espurr" isn't exactly a stretch to think of, and it's not the first time fans have given fakemons names that were later used (see this as an example). Some very real Pokemon names are decidedly uncreative puns or portmanteaus. I personally think the leak is likely true, but even if you don't, trying to discredit it with naming similarities is hardly the way to go.
Now if Espurr had been described like the fakemon and instead of evolving into Meowstick it evolved into "Esposterus" sure that'd be a little suspicious but as is....

I agree. "Espurr" is a really easy/obvious name to think up, and as quite a few people have mentioned already, not all Pokemons names are original and creative. "Seel" "Sawk" "Throh" "Klink" etc etc. As WPM of Pokebeach mentioned, the name could also be misspelled, as the original leak named Pancham as "Panchum" (I, for one, personally hope that Meowstick ends up being spelled as "Meowstyc" if it is truly a portmanteau of "Meow" and "Mystic". And if it is an official Pokemon, of course.) The idea that two people in seperate parts of the world could come up with the same name isn't exactly a reason to discredit the rumor.

Well I'm now done practicing skepticism. Like, for the rest of my life.
lul jk, I seriously see too much coincidence in the whole thing.
I'm curious about the "less HMs" part. Less than the six in BW2? Most, if not all of them, were completely unnecessary to advance in BW2 as it is, so I'm confused as to how and why they would cut back further on the available HMs that can be used in-game.

on a wishful thinking sidenote, I desperately want Zubats to be available so I can have this

Well I'm now done practicing skepticism. Like, for the rest of my life.
I'm curious about the "less HMs" part. Less than the six in BW2? Most, if not all of them, were completely unnecessary to advance in BW2 as it is, so I'm confused as to how and why they would cut back further on the available HMs that can be used in-game.

on a wishful thinking sidenote, I desperately want Zubats to be available so I can have this
Probably because a lot of the HMs at this point are vestigial.
Cut was used like 3 times. Total. Same with Waterfall
Dive was only used for the Abyssal ruins.
Strength was used more, but only for shortcuts.

Cut could very very easily be made into a TM with 0 loss to anything, at the very least.

Cut could very very easily be made into a TM with 0 loss to anything, at the very least.
I mean, most HMs can be categorized into categories, then simplified in function from there.

You have obstacle-removing HMs: Cut, Rock Smash, Strength, Whirlpool
Access-increasing HMs (let you get to new areas though a new mode of transport): Surf, Rock Climb, Waterfall, Dive
Travel HMs: Fly (Dig and Teleport also have similar functions)
And convenience HMs: Flash, Defog

You could just make all obstacles one type (like breakable rocks), the only new travel method necessary surfing, and have Fly for convenience. That gives you just 3 HMs.

Yeah, the HMs were there for exploring spots that are off the beaten path. We may as well not have HMs/field moves at all if you really can do everything you need them for with an HM slave later on. This brings into question the meaning of puzzles in the Pokemon world, and how GameFreak intends to keep showing how a trainer needs to come with the right resources to feel the full experience of exploring.
I'm a little worried.

Yeah, the HMs were there for exploring spots that are off the beaten path. We may as well not have HMs/field moves at all if you really can do everything you need them for with an HM slave later on. This brings into question the meaning of puzzles in the Pokemon world, and how GameFreak intends to keep showing how a trainer needs to come with the right resources to feel the full experience of exploring.
I'm a little worried.
Exploring with HMs is obnoxious as hell and beyond Surf & strength stuff it's very rarely worth it

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Only problem: Having a pokémon with an HM move without having the HM itself (getting it from a trade), going to an area accessible only with that HM, and then replacing the HM move with a random TM. Now you're forever locked, etc.

I'd guess they'll remove Cut trees or smashable rocks, and maybe making Waterfall a TM but only need it to climb one, not go down. Same thing with Dive, and maybe Rock Climb. This would leave us with... Fly, Surf, Strength at the very least. Legit.

Only problem: Having a pokémon with an HM move without having the HM itself (getting it from a trade), going to an area accessible only with that HM, and then replacing the HM move with a random TM. Now you're forever locked, etc.
if (replace HM move)
check if you have the HM
If you do,
let replace
If you don't
don't replace

bam problem solved I'll expect my check in the mail, masuda

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Well the Brits generally want their own versions of things. Especially a game thats set in France; I wonder what they'll think.
Especially when it comes to differentiating between Brits and Americans.

Same phenomenon between Hongkongers and Taiwanese, where the former hated the fact that the franchiser was based in Taiwan.
Other people would just think that these 2 areas are the same.

Also, when I studied in the UK, I remember that once my chemistry teacher pointed out that the British scientists and the French scientists were having a race on working out Benzene's structure, and that it was a French scientist who figured out that Benzene's structure ought to be a ring...
he emphasized that the French scientist got the idea after dreaming a dream.
But even that being said, my classmates were like "Urgh!!!!"

So I guess they won't be too impressed about the new region being France.
They probably would suppress it, or answer "Oh? Really?" even when you know that they knew it.

What they should do is let a Pokemon be able to recall any move it has ever learned by level up without going to the move relearner. I can't think of any reason for that guy. Another slight annoyance is the inability to recall deleted egg moves. Sometimes I'd want to experiment with a different moveset but can't touch the egg moves. A slightly expanded Pokemon data structure (they're not too many egg moves per specie so use a word-sized bitfield: set bit 1 if egg move 1 was learned etc.) would allow the game to check which egg moves were learned even if they were deleted. Now that they're on to a more powerful system with more cartridge storage and RAM, it's time to give us some conveniences. (yeah right..lol)

Especially when it comes to differentiating between Brits and Americans.

Same phenomenon between Hongkongers and Taiwanese, where the former hated the fact that the franchiser was based in Taiwan.
Other people would just think that these 2 areas are the same.

Also, when I studied in the UK, I remember that once my chemistry teacher pointed out that the British scientists and the French scientists were having a race on working out Benzene's structure, and that it was a French scientist who figured out that Benzene's structure ought to be a ring...
he emphasized that the French scientist got the idea after dreaming a dream.
But even that being said, my classmates were like "Urgh!!!!"

So I guess they won't be too impressed about the new region being France.
They probably would suppress it, or answer "Oh? Really?" even when you know that they knew it.
i quite adore france so im looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)