Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pokemon description of Pancham says when it glares at it is opponents the opponent does not usually get scared. So does it mean parting remark has low accuracy?
Well, Pancham and Parting Remark are two completely different things. Parting Remark will have the same accuracy on every Pokemon, that's just a bit of flavor for Pancham. I would speculate that Parting Remarl will have similar accuracy to Volt Switch and U-turn, but who knows.

It could mean that he's cute, so he isn't as menacing as he thinks he is.

He's not the only Pokémon who's gonna learn Parting Shot, so the utility of the move and the theming of the Pokémon showcasing it can't really be connected. That's like saying Leer has a lowered accuracy when used by Scraggy, who is also cute yet determined you scare your pants off with a creepy stare.

EDIT-there are some nasty ninjas around here.

I'm really crossing my fingers for some interesting dual typings, especially anything with Poison. Fire/Poison, Electric/Poison, Poison/Steel, those would all be amazing.

Anything that has a new type combination (also counting combinations only in Ubers atm) is cool imho. Things that are part-Poison, yes, but Electric is dire for some new combinations as well.

Obv the Electric/Poison snake comes to mind (1+1=2), but also an Electric/Psychic... thing or a Ghost/Dragon that isn't Giratina. A Poison/Dragon wormdrake maybe, which I'm been hoping for since Gen II was released, would be awesome. Plenty of things come to mind. I hope quite a few things get a retype with Fairy so most Fairy combinations are token already.

Absol, Plusle-Minun, Glalie and the Mismagius-line could all use the part-Fairy typing, and with Gardevoir, Jigglypuff and Marill, that means 8 different part-Fairies are around.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Why Glalie as part Fairy? I mean, sure Froslass is part Ghost, but... Glalie... it's probably one of the most menacing, weather-bitten, grim, harsh Pokémon out there. Yes, it does scream "I want a second type" at the top of its icy lungs, but I suspect it has Dark or Rock in mind when saying that (Its Ruby dex entry reveals it's not as much a ball of ice as it is an ice-covered rock, whereas it has ALL the staple Dark moves in its movepool). If GameFreak wants to retcon an Ice Pokémon into part Fairy, I think the Vanillite line would suit better. Or even better, just make a new one. How much of a stretch would a dancing snowman be?

As for new type combinations, Dark/Electric would be interesting to see (or just retcon Luxray already). Ice/Anything would be terrible on the defensive side, but it looks would probably keep it very memorable anyway. Grass/Dragon is long overdue, but if the "starter types in reverse order" pattern with Palkia and Reshiram is anything to go by, perhaps we'll get one this generation (Grasping at straws, you say? Seeing patterns? Forgetting Kingdra? Nonsense.).
Bug is paired with most types except for Normal as well as the four "late-game" types; Ice, Dark, Psychic and Dragon. I think it's time to fill the holes. Apart from Bug/Normal (or vice versa, though secondary Bug types are rare), most of those would look so badass they would patch up the image of Bug Pokémon as puny early-game beginner 'mons:
Bug/Psychic? I can imagine this one being really trippy. Hypnotic spider with long legs? A Cocoon Pokémon which stays a cocoon, and is moderately powerful to boot? Hive mind ants? Holy golden scarab beetle? Many possibilities here.
Bug/Ice would be cool. I believe CAP's Syclant is Bug/Ice, but can't check due to that portion of the site still being down. Come to think of it, isn't there a Bug/Psychic in there too?
Bug/Dark would be nightmare fuel. A proper scorpion. A giant black spider. A hairy, long-legged something that likes to hide (à la Diglett, Shellder or Tangela), only showing off claws or legs peeking out from its cover. Or perhaps they'd just pull a Joltik and make it adorable.
Bug/Dragon.... well, this would certainly be interesting. As long as the designers put any decent amount of thought into it, it could not possibly go wrong. But if rushed... oh my, we'd get a good laugh.
Bug/Normal... Spider-Man?

Glalie is in the Fairy egg group which, in addition to Fairy pairing well with Froslass, is probably why it's a popular would-be Fairy

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
No Guard was confirmed a while ago in CoroCoro. The only things notably confirmed by Smash were:
1. Rod returns in the main portion of the game.
2. Honedge learns Shadow Sneak and Aerial Ace.
3. Rock Smash rocks return.
4. Existence of beach route with islands featuring arrows made of tall grass.
5. Remoraid/Octillery available in the main game.
6. Froakie learns Quick Attack.

Also, let's remember to stick to discussing confirmed game elements rather than throwing around new Pokémon ideas.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I wasn't sure if it was Aerial Ace or Night Slash... Night Slash made more sense to me. It could definitely be.

I wasn't sure if it was Aerial Ace or Night Slash... Night Slash made more sense to me. It could definitely be.
We have been arguing about that stupid move since day 1 because Chespin used it

The fact it was used in-game HOPEFULLY means that it was actually stated on-screen so we can finally put that to rest

So, the argument is finally settled, then. Chespin, Talonflame, and Honedge all learn Aerial Ace.
Well considering that the move has the exact same animation as Gen V Aerial Ace, I think it was settled from day one.

Also, Inkay appears to be level 26 and from what I can make out, Octillery is level 25. So I guess we arrive at the coast after the third Gym. Nice to see rods in the main game too.

Well considering that the move has the exact same animation as Gen V Aerial Ace, I think it was settled from day one.
You would think this but there were a ton of people absolutely adamant that it was Night Slash because purple streaks

By the way, the move Froakie used was Quick Attack, not Aqua Jet

I must admit that I'm a bit dissapointed by the in-battle footage, especially when fishing.

It just seems really weird that the Pokemon are standing on what looks like deep pools of water in the middle of a sandy beach. It would have been more natural if they were standing on sand...

The same applies to Inkay in the grass, although it didn't look as weird.

I assume it has to do with the protagonist standing on the beach when fishing, and that it would have looked more natural if he was surfing when fishing.

I think these ones look much better and natural:

Although it is only a small annoyance, I hope Gamefreak fixes the fishing part before the games are released.

Other than that I liked what I saw. The anime trailer also makes me consider using Froakie as my starter in stead of Fennekin.

It's all true.
The text in the box before Honedge's attack translates into "Hitotsuki used Swallow Return"
And then he hits octillery with Swallow Return
a.k.a. AERIAL ACE.
This argument is ovah

Pokémon Smash, fie on you for wasting time re-revealing the legendaries' typings.

Isn't it fantastic that you can find both octopi and squids in the waters of France Kalos?

I must admit that I'm a bit dissapointed by the in-battle footage, especially when fishing.

It just seems really weird that the Pokemon are standing on what looks like deep pools of water in the middle of a sandy beach. It would have been more natural if they were standing on sand...
I think it looks nice, actually. Like those rock pool but without rocks.
It just fits in, to me.
I think this looks weirder though, but I also can't exactly blame them for not creating a specific background for instances of grass fields on a sandbar/mini island.

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
About No Guard on Honedge: I hope they at least give Honedge the movepool to abuse it. It is not because it will be competitively better, but because there are not many notable innacurate but otherwise powerful moves that other Ghost- or Steel-types use (except DynamicPunch on Gorluk, but that does not receive STAB, and Meteor Mash on Metagross) - I fear that this will be a completely useless ability for Honedge. It is very sad that it didn't got Levitate; thankfully it still got a lot of good resistances and unlike Jirachi and Metagross, it is immune to Fighting and double resistant to Bug.

I assume it has to do with the protagonist standing on the beach when fishing, and that it would have looked more natural if he was surfing when fishing.
If you were surfing, then your Pokémon would be standing on blue platforms in an open sea battlefield, supposedly. Then it risks becoming the age-old complaint of Pokémon walking on water. I think that, for what they are, the battle platforms seem rather intricately thought out and look to me like they're making a nice transition from the BW2 battle platforms. Also, standing in a puddle looks more sensible than standing on top of a larger body of water as it is, and at least for the battle with Octillery, I think the spatial definition it gives me is really visually pleasing.

Gen 1, come to think of it, introduced a lot of types that were hybrid with Poison (six): Grass (Venusaur and co.), Water (Tentacruel), Ghost (Gengar), Flying (Zubat), Ground (Nidoqueen and Nidoking), and Bug (Venomoth and Beedrill). The next two were Fighting (Toxicroak) and Dark (Drapion and Skuntank), both in Gen 4, for a total of eight. That leaves nine types, including the newly-introduced Fairy, that still have potential for Poison hybrids. I don't see any pure-Poison Pokémon from Gens 1-5 that are candidates for Fairies. That would leave possible Gen 6 'Mons.

Anything that has a new type combination (also counting combinations only in Ubers atm) is cool imho. Things that are part-Poison, yes, but Electric is dire for some new combinations as well.
Upon the introduction of Fairies, I notice the only types/type combos that will have natural 1-weakness will be:

Normal = x2 Fighting
Electric = x2 Ground
Ghost/Normal = x2 Dark
Dark/Ghost = x2 Fairy
Psychic/Dark = x4 Bug
Bug/Steel = x4 Fire
Water/Ground = x4 Grass

Why limit it with just the type combinations? Let's add Abilities, while we're at it.

Water + Sap Sipper = x2 Electric
Water + Lightningrod = x2 Grass
Poison/Dark + Levitate = x2 Fairy
Ghost/Steel + Levitate = x2 Fire
Poison/Steel + Heatproof = x4 Ground
Poison/Steel + Levitate = x2 Fire
Fairy/Electric + Poison Heal = x2 Ground (Thanks for the correction, Gerard.)
Fairy/Electric + Levitate = x2 Poison
Bug/Electric + Heatproof = x2 Rock
Fire/Ground + Water Absorb/Storm Drain = x2 Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)