Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't count on that since they hardly even do that in PBR and PBR has very good animations for the most part (Machop MachPunching Meganium is hilarious). The PSP has a lot of 3D animations that run well so they could make the battling of the games PBR-like on a handheld.
I doubt that, the DS's 3D engine is significantly weaker than the PSP's

With all the changes, a lot of Pokemon need serious rebalancing in their base stats. Unfortunately, they probably won't even touch them; they never have. Poor little Golem...
And Flareon...I know it's neat as a mixed attacker but could it last long? No. Eevee evolutions follow a pattern where one stat is 130, one is 110, 95, 65, 65, and 60. Its Def should be 65 instead of 60 and I would change the SpcAtt to 60 and put the 95 somewhere more helpful, like Speed or HP. They never changed anything this big so they probably never will...

@above: they could make a system more powerful than the DS. It's about time, too.

Being able to drive in-game, or at least travel by car, would be interesting.

But now I'm REALLY hopeful for interactive Fly. What better way to show off the 3D game engine? It could also make the HM actually required, with some mountaintops and building roofs only reachable by it.

That would be too much of a ridiculous amount of work for Game Freak, especially on top of what they have to do anyway and how much has already changed in what we've seen of Generation 5.

Besides, I liked transparent overlays...
lol. Everyone was just talking bout how much space the DS Game cartridges have the day before yesterday, and now they suddenly have more then enough room for special battle animations for over 550 Pokemon (probably more than that, considering 550 will mean only 47 new Pokes. Count in NFEs, and that's practically nothing), every attack for every one of those 550/more Pokemon (yes, every attack for every Pokemon because they don't want the game to crash when somebody hacks "Magikarp used Giga Impact!"), new enormous 3D graphics, etc. Also keep in mind, as you said, it's a horrendous amount of work. It's just easier, and cleaner, to save it for the Generation 5 stadium game. It's also better to keep the 3d battle animations away from the hand-held games. It would just end up looking less blocky to have 3d Pokes on the wii.

The out-of-battle 3d animations look really nice, but in battle would look better w/o 3d Poke sprites.

Poor little Golem...
Why do you think they invented Rock Polish and made the elemental punches move tutor moves? Don't forget TR, and Rhyperior doesn't get explosion.

And Flareon...I know it's neat as a mixed attacker but could it last long? No. Eevee evolutions follow a pattern where one stat is 130, one is 110, 95, 65, 65, and 60. Its Def should be 65 instead of 60 and I would change the SpcAtt to 60 and put the 95 somewhere more helpful, like Speed or HP. They never changed anything this big so they probably never will...
I think Flareon is fine. Outdoes Octillery as a mixed TR attacker. It just needs a physical fire attack and maybe physical priority. Scratch that, he needs a larger physical movepool all together (but that probably won't happen, because the eve evos all need and are supposed to have restricted move pools).

Dawn and Kris were way fucking better.
Opinion; one I disagree with greatly.

but battling... Still doesn't look good at all.
Opinion.

also, it's a picture of one battle scene. we don't know how battles actually look, since it's most likely taken out of context.

That would be too much of a ridiculous amount of work for Game Freak, especially on top of what they have to do anyway and how much has already changed in what we've seen of Generation 5.
"Hard work is totally bogus lets just copy/paste the Gen4 effects!" - Game Freak

Honestly, I doubt Game freak is just plain not going to do something just because it's "too much work"...

Well, there is the 3DS, and since release dates are still sketchy, it could use that system.
No--the games are clearly stated as being for the Nintendo DS platform. They may end up having enhanced features of some sort on the 3DS, but they're going to be made for the Nintendo DS.

Hard work is totally bogus lets just copy/paste the Gen4 effects!
I meant make the Poke sprites move. New animations for all the attack are a requirement. How would you feel if you were the 3d designer and you had to make a new animation for not only every single attack, but a sprite animation for over 550 Pokes (which is required), and then hear that you have to create a special animation for every Pokemon using every attack and your reason for all the extra work was "to keep hackers from crashing there games and having to buy a new one".

Being able to drive in-game, or at least travel by car, would be interesting.

But now I'm REALLY hopeful for interactive Fly. What better way to show off the 3D game engine? It could also make the HM actually required, with some mountaintops and building roofs only reachable by it.
I would hate interactive Fly. Every time you want to Fly somewhere, you'd have to go through the mini-game. Remember the first Kingdom Hearts before you get to Warp to places immediately? That was awful...

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I guess they could do the same done in Stadium 1 and 2. It wasn't exactly a transparent overlay, there was a bit more interaction with the pokémon and the move (even though we had things like Krabby doing its dance and then firing off Solarbeam out of its... mouth).

For animation, each pokemon would need:
-Standing sprite
-Second standing sprite for entry animation
-Physical attack sprite
-Special attack sprite
-non attack sprite
-fainting sprite

Of course the fainting isn't necesary, and they could just make one "action" sprite for all moves, making it at least 3 sprites per pokemon/forme.

-Standing sprite
-Physical attack sprite
-Special attack sprite
-non attack sprite
-fainting sprite

Of course the fainting isn't necesary, and they could just make one "action" sprite for all moves, making it at least 3 sprites per pokemon/forme.
That's like PBR. You need a fainting sprite. I like seeing Pokemon I don't like suffering as they're fainting (though some of them like Glaceon don't show much suffering).

I would hate interactive Fly. Every time you want to Fly somewhere, you'd have to go through the mini-game. Remember the first Kingdom Hearts before you get to Warp to places immediately? That was awful...
They have interactive fly in the new Ranger game. You can choose to do the mini-game or not, and you can catch pokes in the sky (i.e., Staraptor, Latios). If you check Serebii, it also has it easyer to catch certain Pokemon depending on what is using fly (Staraptor can catch up and battle Pidgey, but you need something faster, like Latios, to catch up to and battle something faster, like Swellow or Ninjask). But if they did that, you have to keep in mind:

"Dodrio used Fly!"
"Mew used Fly!"

-Standing sprite
-Physical attack sprite
-Special attack sprite
-non attack sprite
-fainting sprite

Yes. But everyone wants to see a Pokemon actually using Ice Punch, not the same sprite for every physical attack.

That is a good idea, though. What you have. And it would probably work pretty well. Now I'm hoping to see them do that.lol

-Standing sprite
-Physical attack sprite
-Special attack sprite
-non attack sprite
-fainting sprite

this 3 sprites wouldn't actually be all that bad
the emerald sprites are able to look modern, have 2 of them, AND fit on a gba cartridge.

im sure a ds cartridge with 3 sprites instead of 2 wouldn't be too terrible to conceive

It's just weird, changing the perspective to what it would look like from the trainer's eyes.

However, this also means that to make up for that space, the touch screen is going to havve to old attacks AND the battle text. UGH. I miss being able to multitask when the only thing I had to do was prop up the top screen so I can see it. Now I won't be able to do that as much.
If you look closely at the pictures, you can see that the text still appears on the top screen, it's just that the HUD goes away once a pokemon is attacking. You can see this because Zoroark looks like he's using Dark Pulse, while directly to the left you can see battle text on the screen there. At least that's what it seems like. I could be wrong.

(lol I started typing this back when Mario with Lasers posted)

Yeah, from what I observed using hacked Pokemon in Stadium 1/2 each Pokemon had a set of animations like Summon, Tackle, Punch, Shoot, etc that each move in the game was set up to use, as well as markers to where the Pokemon's mouth, feet, eyes, etc were, so the animations kinda took care of themselves from there.

Venusaur uses Ice Punch: Venusaur dives forward with icy mist on both front paws

Caterpie uses Fire Blast: It does the String Shot movements but instead shoots fire from its mouth

Magikarp uses Earthquake: It flops around a bit then BOOM when it smacks the ground from its highest jump

Pikachu uses Fly: It raises its arms and soars up, then plays its stand animation in midair, later playing its tackle animation instead of diving down

etc.

The problem is that there are double the Pokemon and moves now than there were back then, so it's more reasonable to stick with sprites.

I just noticed. It shows the Pokemon's shadow in the Battle (look by Zoroark's feet in the image). It's hard to see because "Dark Pulse" covers it. This means that the time of day and place will affect the battle and the animations (probably) more than it does in D/P/PL/HG/SS.

lol. The cities look more like cities, w/ buildings actually towering over you.

If the Pokemon actually used the moves, Return might actually have competition with Frustration in "coolness." Return looks junky on the DS and Frustration looks decent-semicool. Return is cute on the Wii and Frustration looks awesome! So...actually using Return might give it some coolness factor...or cuteness. Azumarill attacking is always cute. He smacks them and hearts appear or water splashes, then he starts spinning away. It's adorable. Something they might do? I hope so... =T

@Rein: Mew flying wouldn't be THAT weird. What I would be really weirded out by is Smeargle.

Personally I don't find battle animations a huge deal, because I play pokemon for the strategic element. I think sooner or later, an epic adventure game for the wii needs to be released, but otherwise, I'm satisfied with the simple DS concept. As long as new pokemon keep coming.

Mew flying wouldn't be THAT weird. What I would be really weirded out by is Smeargle.
I know. I was just trying to give a few examples.

LOL FLYING PIKACHU!

Personally I don't find battle animations a huge deal, because I play pokemon for the strategic element. I think sooner or later, an epic adventure game for the wii needs to be released, but otherwise, I'm satisfied with the simple DS concept. As long as new pokemon keep coming.
Without new graphics, the game doesn't feel as new, and a lot of people (as bad a reason as it is) won't by a game with poor graphics. One of my freinds won't stop complaining about it.

It looks kinda funky how the girl sprite looks like a worker at a fast food chain.
Whats even funnier is your kind of right.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
(lol I started typing this back when Mario with Lasers posted)

Yeah, from what I observed using hacked Pokemon in Stadium 1/2 each Pokemon had a set of animations like Summon, Tackle, Punch, Shoot, etc that each move in the game was set up to use, as well as markers to where the Pokemon's mouth, feet, eyes, etc were, so the animations kinda took care of themselves from there.

Venusaur uses Ice Punch: Venusaur dives forward with icy mist on both front paws

Caterpie uses Fire Blast: It does the String Shot movements but instead shoots fire from its mouth

Magikarp uses Earthquake: It flops around a bit then BOOM when it smacks the ground from its highest jump

Pikachu uses Fly: It raises its arms and soars up, then plays its stand animation in midair, later playing its tackle animation instead of diving down

etc.

The problem is that there are double the Pokemon and moves now than there were back then, so it's more reasonable to stick with sprites.
Yes, that's what I have in mind. I don't think it would be too difficult to make so this Gen, though. With sprites, at least. We'd need, hmm, 10 sprites per pokémon? I guess so, that's not much.

...Ok, maybe they'd need to hire a few more spriters do to the hard work.

Am I the only person that thinks battle animations are annoying and turns them off? Lengthier 3d animations would piss me off more.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
and then hear that you have to create a special animation for every Pokemon using every attack and your reason for all the extra work was "to keep hackers from crashing there games and having to buy a new one".
No, they would not do this. They wouldn't care even if that was the case, but it's not. A crash won't require a player to buy a new game, and there are easy workarounds to prevent crashes from even causing the game to soft reset.

And stop feeling sorry for the 3D artists. They get paid more than the programmers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)