Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone thinks this is something like Lucario or Mightyena, probably Fighting.

What if it's actually a bug type? What people are taking to be hair is actually its body, with spines, and the 'tuft' on the end is a massive stinger. The legs and arms would seem a bit weird mind.

Or - and this seems more likely - What if it turns out to be two Pokemon? Like, some sort of Linoone-like thing that's jumped on top of a bipedal Pokemon.

The post on pokebeach is six hours after serebii made that post. So the pokebeach one is up to date. Also pokebeach gets these things translated pretty fast and I'm guessing they're accurate too.

Maybe by some slim chance, it's the absol evo that I've always wanted. A guy can dream......

Interrupting self-imposed absence to comment on new Pokeman!

Obviously, it could be an entirely new creature but of all the theories about an evolution in an existing line I'm favouring the mightyena family.
Initially revealing a Pokemon of a new generation that's related to existing ones isn't exactly unprecedented for Nintendo nor is a change from quadrupedal to bipedal during evolution.
[Mawile came to mind too because of the protrusion from the back of the head but I really couldn't see it as anything but hair.]

I would expect it to gain a dual type with fighting being most likely based on the apparent werewolf theme.
A version of mightyena with Fighting STAB, and overall better stats could be pretty good even if it kept its existing abilities (Quick Feet and Intimidate).
In the current game Dark/Fighting gets excellent neutral coverage and that's not likely to change unless they modify the type chart.

On another note, Nintendo seems to be really hammering the notion that the gameplay is going to change in some significant ways.
I don't recall them pushing 'innovation' much in the previous releases which were always refinements of the formula.
So, I'm really wondering how far they are going to stray with generation 5.
I would definitely welcome a refreshing take on the general gameplay quest.

I think it looks like the evolved form on sonic the hedgehog. It cant be an evolution though, that wouldnt boost sales as much as a new pokemon. But something like Lucario, a nonlegendary pokemon which has a pre-evolution which evolves via happiness at night.

Mightyena evo and completely new Pokémon are the most probable theories on what this may be. Honestly, it looks nothing like Riolu/Lucario

Mightyena evo, I don't think so. I'd personally love a Zangoose Evolution, but it doesn't look like a slashy Wolverine style pokemon.
Sandslash is looking to 'fat' to evolve in something much smaller, and this thing doesn't have Sandslash' awesome arms :).

Dark-Fighting or Ghost-Fighting would seem good, Shadario, being the brother of Lucario at night, I think that could be a good concept.

I really hope to see some action of NU's that get awesome evolutions, and some usefull Grass/Electrics with a good dualtype, because those types lack diversity atm.

This picture is just pitch black to hide how this pokemon realy looks like (and we all know this for sure). I don't know why you think it must be something with dark or night when you see it. For me it looks like pokemon version of werewolf (and yeah, it also means new pokemon). I think it's totally new type. My propositions:

a) Normal/Fight - Yeah, it's quite strange typing, but interesting defensively and in offensive way also isn't that terrible. With Scrappy it would own :P. Also in every generation we have Normal type with secondary typing (examples are Girafarig with Psychic/Normal and Bibarel with Normal/Water, I think Normal/Fight would be another example like this).
b) Electric/Fighting - Probably because of this "standing" fur, which looks like full of electricity ;).

Mightyena evo and completely new Pokémon are the most probable theories on what this may be. Honestly, it looks nothing like Riolu/Lucario
Well evolving at night makes a pokemon look completely different. Eevee --> Umbreon? Besides, it looks nothing like Mightyena either. It looks about 50 pounds lighter, is upright, and also has a snout that doesn't even remotely look like it.

Anyways, I just hope it is a shade of blue, grey, silver, or black. Any light colors won't look great with that design (ie no Pachirisu thanks).

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I would have thought the webbed feet (at least that's how I see them) would indicate Water-typing. I doubt it'd be a pure Water addition though if that's the case. Then again it isn't all that high-res, so they could just as easily be claws.

This pokémon is a representative of 5th generation, so he cant get an evolution from any other generation, and it should be legendary.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This pokémon is a representative of 5th generation, so he cant get an evolution from any other generation, and it should be legendary.
This isn't true. The first Pokemon revealed from 4th Gen were Weavile, Mime Jr., and Bonsly (and one other I forget), but they're all related to Pokemon from previous generations. That's not to say I think FoxMon will be an evolution, I think it's standalone also.

edit:I called it foxmon because it looks like a fox, not because it's a ninetales evo -.-

Since it's about more than just this pokemon;
~You think they will keep the same gym structures? Rock as the first, and in every gym you fight some trainers to get to the leader?
~Will the opposing team come back, will you be able to make some storychanging choices with them, will they keep on spamming the same **** pokemon against you all the time?
~how about our Starters? What kind of type combinations would you like to see? Grass/Ghost could bring an awesome type combinatio IMO, Fire/Ground might seem cool too, but only the 3rd evo must get the ground- typing because it gives 4x weakness to Water. Water/Fight, since Poliwrath just doesn't cut it ;)
Munchlax was another of the first 4th gen Poké revealed, if not THE first
IIRC, Munchlax already played in a movie BEFORE the DPPt series!

Well, the unblurred version of the picture will come out on Pokemon Sunday, February 21, so we only have to wait two weeks till we see what it really looks like.
Cool, that's the date of my birthday.

I really like the fan-art of the unrevealed Pokemon from a few pages before, too.

As for typing, I'm agreeing with speculation towards it being a Dark/Fighting type; looking at evidence from the movie's name and its lithe body and fighting stance.

Isnt this new game supposed to be "reborn" and new? Wouldnt it follow that if the series was reborn then no original Pokemon would be in the game? Hence this Pokemon wouldnt be an evolution of an exisiting Pokemon...

Isnt this new game supposed to be "reborn" and new? Wouldnt it follow that if the series was reborn then no original Pokemon would be in the game? Hence this Pokemon wouldnt be an evolution of an exisiting Pokemon...
Well I think it will be "new," similar to DP. It will introduce new mechanics and new pokemon, but will also evolve earlier generations. Or atleast I hope so. Some of my favorites are pretty bad, or have potential to be great. It'll be interesting to see what mechanics they decide to add, as well as a features, although I don't see it being anywhere as revolutionary as 3/4 gen.

Well the "reborn" concept is screwing my head over here because it's making me think that this is going to be a NEW universe and where the previous 493 Pokemon don't exist. Hence the reborn and new part. But this could just be a crazy theory and that Pokemon could be a Lucario evo after all.

This picture is just pitch black to hide how this pokemon realy looks like (and we all know this for sure). I don't know why you think it must be something with dark or night when you see it. For me it looks like pokemon version of werewolf (and yeah, it also means new pokemon). I think it's totally new type. My propositions:

a) Normal/Fight - Yeah, it's quite strange typing, but interesting defensively and in offensive way also isn't that terrible. With Scrappy it would own :P. Also in every generation we have Normal type with secondary typing (examples are Girafarig with Psychic/Normal and Bibarel with Normal/Water, I think Normal/Fight would be another example like this).
b) Electric/Fighting - Probably because of this "standing" fur, which looks like full of electricity ;).
Unless I'm missing something here... Why on earth would Normal/Fighting be any good for defense? The only thing it effectively does is give the fight type ghost immunity while making it weak to itself. How is that good? I mean, that would give it one more weakness and instead of being neutral to ghost, it's immune. Sounds like a crappy defensive typing to me, since Fighting moves are far more common than Ghost in my experience.

Unless you see things from the normal types perspective. But then again, Normal sucks as a primary type, much because of steel- and to a lesser extent rock pokemon. The only Normal pokemon that has been high OU in all DPP is Blissey, and that's only because it has perfect stats for what it's supposed to do, and no other pokemon has stats even remotely close to that. Staraptor is the only thing close to being a good normal type offensively, mostly because it has Close combat to tackle Steel/Rock types. But even then, it's not OU.

The thing about all this is, it would actually be a better pokemon defensively as pure Fighting than Normal/Fighting. Sad but true. Offensively though, that's another story. With the Scrappy ability it would have perfect at least normal coverage with its STABs. THAT would be truely interesting imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)