Pokemon Gold 1997 Prototype discovered: Many scrapped pokemon designs within

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
It's funny to see that Delibird had even WORSE stats during beta.

I wonder if the change in stat distribution for Lugia was to make it stand out from Mewtwo, because the only difference between their distributions is that their HP and Speed stats are swapped.

Mewtwo: 106/110/90/154/90/130
Beta Lugia: 130/110/90/154/90/106
I believe this as well, though the Cyndaquil line is almost congruent to the Charmander one in every way. I'm not sure if they would have cared enough, but Lugia was really busted as you can imagine from the bulk.

This can explain Lugia psychic-type if it was supposed to be a Mewtwo 2. It's interesting that Ho-Oh had at some point mythical stat, maybe Lugia and Ho-Oh had a similar relationship to Mew/ Mewtwo.

Lugia and Ho-Oh have been confirmed on record to not have had any relation at any point. It's a common misconception. Dr. Lava has talked about the interview before, but I don't have it on me rn. But for something you can easily verify, Ho-Oh was in SW97, but not Lugia. It was also Mono-Flying and had mythic stats. They were never made with each other in mind. I doubt Lugia was ever related to Mewtwo either.
I didn't know anything about that, sorry. :psynervous:

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
This can explain Lugia psychic-type if it was supposed to be a Mewtwo 2. It's interesting that Ho-Oh had at some point mythical stat, maybe Lugia and Ho-Oh had a similar relationship to Mew/ Mewtwo.
Lugia and Ho-Oh have been confirmed on record to not have had any relation at any point. It's a common misconception. Dr. Lava has talked about the interview before, but I don't have it on me rn. But for something you can easily verify, Ho-Oh was in SW97, but not Lugia. It was also Mono-Flying and had mythic stats. They were never made with each other in mind. I doubt Lugia was ever related to Mewtwo either.

I mined the "GS_Korean" Source Code for stats and managed to form a spreadsheet for it. There's a lot of interesting stuff in there, including some prototype Pokemon I believe aren't too known about. Many of these stats are unique and show a lot of interesting balancing changes. At one point, Lugia wasn't The Great Wall, but a terrifying special attacker.

I found a sprite for one prototype Pokemon and restored: Sanibougo, a beta Mamoswine. I found it by chance, and after some discussion with the TCRF Discord it is most definitely the cut evolution. Its stats were 100/80/120/60/120/20, unparalleled bulk. It was also Ice/Ground and only got Powder Snow at the time.
PM2F_218.CBB​
Restored Sprite w/Piloswine palette (56x56)​
Ahh I was wondering abotu this, this is all very cool to see!

I always thought it was odd how Typhlosion's line was just a stat copy of Charizard and knowing that this is just what they did as place holders for the starters...I wonder if they just didn't get around to altering the stats?

Assuming these are Madame's stats before the replacement to Wooper
72/105/75/70/63/72

Seems like it'd be a somewhat strong but otherwise mediocre pokemon, but a full step up from farfetch'd obviously.
For fun, here's comparison to Sirfetch'd
62/135/95/65/68/82

Norowara is such a fasicnating pokemon. It was always a little mysterious even in Spaceworld, having curse as like what a level 100 move and its evolution going in a different direction. Seeing the stats being so extreme is really interesting especially when Kyonpan is more "conventional". I could see a concept like this coming back in modern Pokemon which likes to mess with extremes more often.

Likewise the girafarig line's gone through quite a time, huh? Twinz into Girafarig was always a fun leap but ti seems they kept coming back to it again and again. Turning it into a third stage line but then back into a two stage line and the only remnants of it are "Girafarig"'s middling stats and a wayward backsprite that hadn't been replaced yet. And then Twinz was in the middle of getting chunked out the window!

Shuckle going to have an evolution is likewise fun to realize. "Shuckle 1" probably didn't have its rock pot during time period, I bet. Just a little worm.

I can fully believe those are Kotorra & Raitorra's stats. That much special attack on a regular bear like ursaring doesn't fit.

breh

強いだね
Plague von Karma

Name changes from final (including ones you already noticed):

Ariados (Twohead)

Hoppip (Hanebōzu)

Skiploom (Popobōzu)

Aipom ("Tail"... real creative; almost as bad as beta Ambipom's "B-pom"... I hope I didn't just miss this one in the horrifying aipoms from before)

Shuckle - not a change but just noting that its name is literally "potpot" unless I'm missing what you're referring to. also, I didn't notice til now that its species name is different and it is literally the "earthenware Pokemon" (like the fired kind of earthenware), so I'll add that in lol

Delibird ("Gift")

Mantine ("Hane'ei")

Phanpy ("Paon")

Tyrogue ("Gong")

Smoochum ("Kisskiss")

beasts ("Rai" / "En" / "Sui")

Larvitar (Igarū... I'll think about this one. Reminds either of "ikaru" (to rage), partial backwards "uragiru" (to betray), iga (burr, like the spiky things chestnuts are in), but these are the least shit connections I can make. is there a sprite at this point?)

Tyranitar (Giras; final name is "Bangiras")

~~

Does monsname.dat contain any other of the undecided names? Or just the one for the Piloswine-evo?

Also, would it be possible to pull species names ("Pokemon categories") off of each Pokemon?

Last edited:
Adding to this I suspect Ho-oh's SW97 stats were just place holders. The placeholders for normal Pokemon were 50s across the board, so it makes sense to me that their fancy new box legendary would have 100s across the board.
Probably didn't clone mewtwo's stats (like they did the starters for starters & birds for beasts) since they didn't know what direction to take it yet while they figured the starters/trio would probably be similar to their prior game counterpart.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Plague von Karma

Name changes from final (including ones you already noticed):

Ariados (Twohead)

Hoppip (Hanebōzu)

Skiploom (Popobōzu)

Aipom ("Tail"... real creative; almost as bad as beta Ambipom's "B-pom"... I hope I didn't just miss this one in the horrifying aipoms from before)

Shuckle - not a change but just noting that its name is literally "potpot" unless I'm missing what you're referring to. also, I didn't notice til now that its species name is different and it is literally the "earthenware Pokemon" (like the fired kind of earthenware), so I'll add that in lol

proto-Dunsparce (Nokottsuchi, using Hepburn rather than Nihon-shiki... Still the same lazy rearrangement of ツチノコ to get ノコッツチ, but with an extra ツ)

Piloswine evo (Sanibougo is ambiguous. Could be "San'ibougo" or "Sanibougo". Bougo is almost definitely 防護 (protection). Sani is presumably "San'i", but I'm not sure what it's supposed to be. 三猪 is my shitty guess)

Delibird ("Gift")

Mantine ("Hane'ei")

Phanpy ("Paon")

Tyrogue ("Gong")

Smoochum ("Kisskiss")

beasts ("Rai" / "En" / "Sui")

Larvitar (Igarū... I'll think about this one. Reminds either of "ikaru" (to rage), partial backwards "uragiru" (to betray), iga (burr, like the spiky things chestnuts are in), but somewhat enigmatic. is there a sprite at this point?)

Tyranitar (Giras; final name is "Bangiras")

~~

Is Pineco's name typoed or is it really that fine of a change? Final is Kunugidama, what you have listed is Kunigidama.

Does monsname.dat contain any other of the undecided names? Or just the one for the Piloswine-evo?

Also, would it be possible to pull species names ("Pokemon categories") off of each Pokemon?
MONSNAME.DAT contains a lot of names. They take the syllables for the names, which I assume become the kana. Here's the full list, in order of what's on the doc. I took the Piloswine Evo name from here, as well as the Shuckle one.
db hu__,si__,gi__,da__,ne__
db hu__,si__,gi__,so__,u__
db hu__,si__,gi__,ba__,na__
db hi__,to__,ka__,ge__,EOM
db ri__,za__,bou@,do__,EOM
db ri__,za__,bou@,do__,n__
db ze__,ni__,ga__,me__,EOM
db ka__,me__,bou@,ru__,EOM
db ka__,me__,ttu__,ku__,su__
db ki__,yya__,ta__,pi__,bou@
db to__,ra__,n__,se__,ru__
db ba__,ta__,hu__,ri__,bou@
db bi__,bou@,do__,ru__,EOM
db ko__,ku__,bou@,n__,EOM
db su__,pi__,a__,bou@,EOM
db po__,ttu__,po__,EOM,EOM
db pi__,zi__,yyo__,n__,EOM
db pi__,zi__,yyo__,ttu__,to__
db ko__,ra__,ttu__,ta__,EOM
db ra__,ttu__,ta__,EOM,EOM
db o__,ni__,su__,zu__,me__
db o__,ni__,do__,ri__,ru__
db a__,bou@,bo__,EOM,EOM
db a__,bou@,bo__,ttu__,ku__
db pi__,ka__,ti__,yyu__,u__
db ra__,i__,ti__,yyu__,u__
db sa__,n__,do__,EOM,EOM
db sa__,n__,do__,pa__,n__
db ni__,do__,ra__,n__,mesu@
db ni__,do__,ri__,bou@,na__
db ni__,do__,ku__,i__,n__
db ni__,do__,ra__,n__,osu@
db ni__,do__,ri__,bou@,no__
db ni__,do__,ki__,n__,gu__
db pi__,ttu__,pi__,EOM,EOM
db pi__,ku__,si__,bou@,EOM
db ro__,ko__,n__,EOM,EOM
db ki__,yyu__,u__,ko__,n__
db pu__,ri__,n__,EOM,EOM
db pu__,ku__,ri__,n__,EOM
db zu__,ba__,ttu__,to__,EOM
db go__,ru__,ba__,ttu__,to__
db na__,zo__,no__,ku__,sa__
db ku__,sa__,i__,ha__,na__
db ra__,hu__,re__,si__,a__
db pa__,ra__,su__,EOM,EOM
db pa__,ra__,se__,ku__,to__
db ko__,n__,pa__,n__,EOM
db mo__,ru__,hu__,oo__,n__
db de__,ii__,gu__,da__,EOM
db da__,gu__,to__,ri__,o__
db ni__,yya__,bou@,su__,EOM
db pe__,ru__,si__,a__,n__
db ko__,da__,ttu__,ku__,EOM
db go__,ru__,da__,ttu__,ku__
db ma__,n__,ki__,bou@,EOM
db o__,ko__,ri__,za__,ru__
db ga__,bou@,de__,ii__,EOM
db u__,i__,n__,de__,ii__
db ni__,yyo__,ro__,mo__,EOM
db ni__,yyo__,ro__,zo__,EOM
db ni__,yyo__,ro__,bo__,n__
db ke__,bou@,si__,ii__,EOM
db yu__,n__,ge__,ra__,bou@
db hu__,bou@,de__,ii__,n__
db wa__,n__,ri__,ki__,bou@
db go__,bou@,ri__,ki__,bou@
db ka__,i__,ri__,ki__,bou@
db ma__,da__,tu__,bo__,mi__
db u__,tu__,do__,n__,EOM
db u__,tu__,bo__,ttu__,to__
db me__,no__,ku__,ra__,ge__
db do__,ku__,ku__,ra__,ge__
db i__,si__,tu__,bu__,te__
db go__,ro__,bou@,n__,EOM
db go__,ro__,bou@,ni__,yya__
db po__,ni__,bou@,ta__,EOM
db gi__,yya__,ro__,ttu__,pu__
db ya__,do__,n__,EOM,EOM
db ya__,do__,ra__,n__,EOM
db ko__,i__,ru__,EOM,EOM
db re__,a__,ko__,i__,ru__
db ka__,mo__,ne__,gi__,EOM
db do__,bou@,do__,bou@,EOM
db do__,bou@,do__,ri__,o__
db pa__,u__,wa__,u__,EOM
db zi__,yyu__,go__,n__,EOM
db be__,to__,be__,ta__,bou@
db be__,to__,be__,to__,n__
db si__,ee__,ru__,da__,bou@
db pa__,ru__,si__,ee__,n__
db go__,bou@,su__,EOM,EOM
db go__,bou@,su__,to__,EOM
db ge__,n__,ga__,bou@,EOM
db i__,wa__,bou@,ku__,EOM
db su__,ri__,bou@,pu__,EOM
db su__,ri__,bou@,pa__,bou@
db ku__,ra__,bu__,EOM,EOM
db ki__,n__,gu__,ra__,bou@
db bi__,ri__,ri__,da__,ma__
db ma__,ru__,ma__,i__,n__
db ta__,ma__,ta__,ma__,EOM
db na__,ttu__,si__,bou@,EOM
db ka__,ra__,ka__,ra__,EOM
db ga__,ra__,ga__,ra__,EOM
db sa__,wa__,mu__,ra__,bou@
db e__,bi__,wa__,ra__,bou@
db be__,ro__,ri__,n__,ga__
db do__,ga__,bou@,su__,EOM
db ma__,ta__,do__,ga__,su__
db sa__,i__,ho__,bou@,n__
db sa__,i__,do__,n__,EOM
db ra__,ttu__,ki__,bou@,EOM
db mo__,n__,zi__,yya__,ra__
db ga__,ru__,bou@,ra__,EOM
db ta__,ttu__,tu__,bou@,EOM
db si__,bou@,do__,ra__,EOM
db to__,sa__,ki__,n__,to__
db a__,zu__,ma__,o__,u__
db hi__,to__,de__,ma__,n__
db su__,ta__,bou@,mi__,bou@
db ba__,ri__,ya__,bou@,do__
db su__,to__,ra__,i__,ku__
db ru__,bou@,zi__,yyu__,ra__
db e__,re__,bu__,bou@,EOM
db bu__,bou@,ba__,bou@,EOM
db ka__,i__,ro__,su__,EOM
db ke__,n__,ta__,ro__,su__
db ko__,i__,ki__,n__,gu__
db gi__,yya__,ra__,do__,su__
db ra__,pu__,ra__,su__,EOM
db me__,ta__,mo__,n__,EOM
db i__,bou@,bu__,i__,EOM
db si__,yya__,wa__,bou@,zu__
db sa__,n__,da__,bou@,su__
db bu__,bou@,su__,ta__,bou@
db po__,ri__,go__,n__,EOM
db o__,mu__,na__,i__,to__
db o__,mu__,su__,ta__,bou@
db ka__,bu__,to__,EOM,EOM
db ka__,bu__,to__,pu__,su__
db pu__,te__,ra__,EOM,EOM
db ka__,bi__,go__,n__,EOM
db hu__,ri__,bou@,za__,bou@
db sa__,n__,da__,bou@,EOM
db hu__,aa__,i__,ya__,bou@
db mi__,ni__,ri__,yyu__,u__
db ha__,ku__,ri__,yyu__,bou@
db ka__,i__,ri__,yyu__,bou@
db mi__,yyu__,u__,tu__,bou@
db mi__,yyu__,u__,EOM,EOM
db ti__,ko__,ri__,bou@,ta__
db be__,i__,ri__,bou@,hu__
db me__,ga__,ni__,u__,mu__
db hi__,no__,a__,ra__,si__
db ma__,gu__,ma__,ra__,si__
db ba__,ku__,hu__,bou@,n__
db wa__,ni__,no__,ko__,EOM
db a__,ri__,ge__,i__,tu__
db o__,bou@,da__,i__,ru__
db o__,ta__,ti__,EOM,EOM
db o__,o__,ta__,ti__,EOM
db ho__,bou@,ho__,bou@,EOM
db yo__,ru__,no__,zu__,ku__
db re__,de__,ii__,ba__,EOM
db re__,de__,ii__,a__,n__
db i__,to__,ma__,ru__,EOM
db a__,ri__,a__,do__,su__
db ku__,ro__,ba__,ttu__,to__
db ti__,yyo__,n__,ti__,bou@
db ra__,n__,ta__,bou@,n__
db pi__,ti__,yyu__,bou@,EOM
db pi__,ii__,EOM,EOM,EOM
db pu__,pu__,ri__,n__,EOM
db to__,ge__,pi__,bou@,EOM
db to__,ge__,ti__,ttu__,ku__
db ne__,i__,te__,ii__,EOM
db ne__,i__,te__,ii__,o__
db me__,ri__,bou@,pu__,EOM
db mo__,ko__,ko__,EOM,EOM
db de__,n__,ri__,yyu__,u__
db ki__,re__,i__,ha__,na__
db ma__,ri__,ru__,EOM,EOM
db ma__,ri__,ru__,ri__,EOM
db u__,so__,ttu__,ki__,bou@
db ni__,yyo__,ro__,to__,no__
db ha__,ne__,bo__,bou@,zu__
db po__,po__,bo__,bou@,zu__
db wa__,ta__,ne__,ko__,EOM
db e__,i__,pa__,mu__,EOM
db hi__,ma__,na__,ttu__,tu__
db ki__,ma__,wa__,ri__,EOM
db ya__,n__,ya__,n__,ma__
db u__,pa__,bou@,EOM,EOM
db nu__,o__,bou@,EOM,EOM
db e__,bou@,hu__,ii__,EOM
db bu__,ra__,ttu__,ki__,bou@
db ya__,mi__,ka__,ra__,su__
db ya__,do__,ki__,n__,gu__
db no__,ro__,wa__,ra__,EOM
db a__,n__,no__,bou@,n__
db ka__,ge__,bo__,bou@,zu__
db ki__,ri__,n__,ri__,ki__
db ku__,nu__,gi__,da__,ma__
db hu__,oo__,re__,to__,su__
db no__,ko__,ttu__,ti__,EOM
db gu__,ra__,i__,ga__,bou@
db ha__,ga__,ne__,bou@,ru__
db bu__,ru__,bou@,EOM,EOM
db gu__,ra__,n__,bu__,ru__
db pu__,ku__,bou@,EOM,EOM
db ha__,ttu__,sa__,mu__,EOM
db tu__,bo__,tu__,bo__,EOM
db he__,ra__,ku__,ro__,su__
db ni__,yyu__,bou@,ra__,EOM
db hi__,me__,gu__,ma__,EOM
db ri__,n__,gu__,ma__,EOM
db ma__,gu__,ma__,ttu__,gu__
db ma__,gu__,ka__,ru__,go__
db u__,ri__,mu__,bou@,EOM
db i__,no__,mu__,bou@,EOM
db sa__,ni__,bou@,go__,EOM
db te__,ttu__,po__,u__,o__
db o__,ku__,ta__,n__,EOM
db gi__,hu__,to__,EOM,EOM
db ha__,ne__,e__,i__,EOM
db yo__,ro__,i__,do__,ri__
db de__,ru__,bi__,ru__,EOM
db he__,ru__,ga__,bou@,EOM
db ki__,n__,gu__,do__,ra__
db ma__,me__,zo__,u__,EOM
db do__,n__,hu__,aa__,n__
db po__,ri__,go__,n__,n2@
db o__,do__,si__,si__,EOM
db do__,bou@,bu__,ru__,EOM
db ba__,ru__,ki__,bou@,EOM
db ka__,po__,e__,ra__,bou@
db ki__,su__,ki__,su__,EOM
db e__,re__,ki__,ttu__,do__
db bu__,bi__,ii__,EOM,EOM
db mi__,ru__,ta__,n__,ku__
db ha__,pi__,na__,su__,EOM
db ra__,i__,ko__,u__,EOM
db e__,n__,te__,i__,EOM
db su__,i__,ku__,n__,EOM
db yo__,bou@,gi__,ra__,su__
db sa__,na__,gi__,ra__,su__
db ba__,n__,gi__,ra__,su__
db ru__,gi__,a__,EOM,EOM
db ho__,u__,o__,u__,EOM
db se__,re__,bi__,ii__,EOM

Larvitar (Igarū... I'll think about this one. Reminds either of "ikaru" (to rage), partial backwards "uragiru" (to betray), iga (burr, like the spiky things chestnuts are in), but these are the least shit connections I can make. is there a sprite at this point?)
Spiky Cyndaquil's sprite was still in Larvitar's slot around then, along with its palette.
1588385709728.png

https://tcrf.net/Prerelease:Pokémon_Gold_and_Silver/Sprites/990613

I read that Wobbuffet was renamed from Shuppet's name at one point. The blob looks a bit similar.
EDIT: Masuda is a pretty funny guy going off the bug reports. Red doesn't save the game because Kanto is bonus postgame.

Last edited:

breh

強いだね
Reading those names is kind of painful so it'll be a bit slow, but it seems that they are all the same as final wrt all of the "undecided" ones. Dunsparce was an error on my end since I didn't know the small tsu romanization they used here (same name as final). Pineco was misspelled in the google doc; it seems like it is in fact "Kunugidama" (db ku__,nu__,gi__,da__,ma__ ) unless I am blind.

"Sanibougo" is Saniigo is final Corsola, and the similarity of it to Corsola's name struck me, but I genuinely did not think about it lmao. My bad.

For reference, ttu is the way they write out small tsu (geminating mark (turns nokoti into nokotti, for example) and bou is the way they write out the vowel extender (turning sanigo into saniigo).

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Reading those names is kind of painful so it'll be a bit slow, but it seems that they are all the same as final wrt all of the "undecided" ones. Dunsparce was an error on my end since I didn't know the small tsu romanization they used here (same name as final). Pineco was misspelled in the google doc; it seems like it is in fact "Kunugidama" (db ku__,nu__,gi__,da__,ma__ ) unless I am blind.

"Sanibougo" is Saniigo is final Corsola, and the similarity of it to Corsola's name struck me, but I genuinely did not think about it lmao. My bad.

For reference, ttsu is the way they write out small tsu (geminating mark (turns nokoti into nokotti, for example) and bou is the way they write out the vowel extender (turning sanigo into saniigo).
You're absolutely right, fixed.

Man they really just had no clue what to do wit hazumarill for a logn time huh.

Oh I like this version of twinz. I know it's a fairly simple design but they should revive this at somne point.

Soldier Blaine! I dont think this was in our gen 1 protos from that initial leak was it? That's pretty neat to see
---------

So TCRF thinks this (344)

might have evolved from this (415)

But I'm not seeing it. To me I think the bottom one likely evolved from this (412)

Similar shapes, both have prominent circular markings along their sides, similar heads and the prominent curled tail is now an even more prominent club tail. Their "color" scheme also seems very similar but that's always a bit of a crap shoot I suppose. Beyond the flippers and probably vaguelyt based on a boat, I don't see any real ties between "344" and "415"

barring that I could see these just being 3 entirely unrelated pokemon

breh

強いだね
attempt at making monsname.dat relatively more readable, very half-assed (I did this via find and replace / pseudo-manually, left in nonstandard Japanese syllables (ex. fui = fi) purely out of laziness)

chikori-ta
beiri-fu
meganiumu
hinoarashi
magumarashi
bakufu-n
waninoko
arigeitsu
o-dairu
otachi
ootachi
ho-ho-
yorunozuku
redeiba
redeian
itomaru
ariadosu
kurobatto
chyonchi-
ranta-n
pichyu-
pii
pupurin
togepi-
togechikku
neitei
neiteio
meri-pu
mokoko
denryuu
kireihana
mariru
mariruri
usokki-
nyorotono
hanebo-zu
popobo-zu
wataneko
eipamu
himanattsu
kimawari
yanyanma
upa-
nuo-
e-fui
burakki-
yamikarasu
yadokingu
norowara
anno-n
kagebo-zu
kirinriki
kunugidama
fuooretosu
nokotchi
guraiga-
hagane-ru
buru-
guranburu
puku-
hassamu
tsubotsubo
herakurosu
nyu-ra
himeguma
ringuma
magumaggu
magukarugo
urimu-
inomu-
sani-go
teppouo
okutan
gifuto
haneei
yoroidori
derubiru
heruga-
kingudora
mamezou
donfuaan
porigon2
odoshishi
do-buru
baruki-
kapoera-
kisukisu
erekiddo
bubii
mirutanku
hapinasu
raikou
entei
suikun
yo-girasu
sanagirasu
bangirasu
rugia
houou
serebii

notably different from final:

Hanebouzu / Popobouzu / Wataneko (Hoppip line; transition to final names took a while, go figure. forgot to note that name may also be tied to teru teru bouzu in some way due to association with winds > weather, I guess)

Kagebouzu (Wobbuffet, notably final name of Shuppet as mentioned above. Again, "bouzu" is a descriptor for monks or people that are similarly bald and "kage" is shadow. if the sprite is similar to final wobbuffet, I can totally see the association. teru teru bouzu association much stronger in shuppet than in final wobbuffet or proto wobbuffet / twinz)

Pukuu (Qwilfish; same as SW97)

Gift (Delibird; same as SW97)

Hane'ei (Mantine; same as SW97)

Mamezou (Phanpy; mame is "bean", presumably in reference to its stature. smol elephant. mamezou itself is straight up a word and (among its other meanings) also just means "a small person")

Kisskiss (Smoochum; same as SW99)

Unless I missed something, everything else same as final.

Last edited:
Girafarig was a 3 stage normal/ghost line at this point with a very alien stat spread compared to what we actually got.
My interest in Girafarig has never been higher. Too bad it's for a Girafarig we never got. :P I wouldn't complain if we saw a regional form + evo with the typing in the DLC or gen 9...

In other aspects of the beta content: some of those placeholder sprites (wobb-blob, proto-larvitar) are... interesting. Even more so because now we know what an actual placeholder looks like (i.e., very different from Meltan :P)

I think this is probably the case. the middle one removes all of the stereotypical elements of the tsuchinoko afaik, so it seems kind of questionable if it were to evolve from it.
I mean in fairness Farfetch'd was going to go from some japanese idiom to a....madame swan with a switch? Or how the voodoo doll was going to turn into a ... jiangshe vampire? Or how the pushmepullyou was going to evolve from a pair of connected ghosts (seemingly a connection they were going to keep for a long time).
I'd also say it doesn't remove the tsuchinoko's iconic fat snake body, even if it does gain flippers.

Actually now that I think about it gen 2 was going to have a number of kind of crazy leaps maybe viking was related to...thsi thing. Whatever it is. gondola...?

View attachment 241867
This is Dunsparce pre-redesign. Properly based on a Tsuchinoko!
Now that I agree with but my thought is the other one might have been conceived as a possible evolution (if it was related at all, of course)

At the very least I am guessing these 2 were designed by the same person, even if they weren't ever meant to be related. There's a lot of similarities in their style, shading and I'm guessing if we had any scratchpads from this era of the build we'd see them referenced on each other

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
I've been colorizing some sprites lately, so here's a dump. While I'm no artist, it's pretty easy to do in MS Paint while zooming in a ton.

This is "Pokemon #311", from the "Korean" source's internal backup for old sprites. It's between Natu and Xatu, so it's definitely a mid evolution. I colorized this one using the same palette as those two.
Colorized 311F.png
Colorized 311.png
Colorized Front Sprite​
Colorized Back Sprite​
PM2F_311.png
PM2B_311.png
Original Back Sprite​
Original Back Sprite​

This is a palette fix for the "Red Girafarig" pre-evolution in SW99, which used Tsuinzu (Twinz)'s palette instead.
Fixed Proto Girafarig.png
Tsuinzu Palette​
Girafarig Palette​
Tsuinzu​

There are also some prototype Yellow sprites in there. I've only done the old Charmander, though.
PMYF_004.png
Colorized Charmander.png
Original Front Sprite​
Colorized Back Sprite​

These are but a few, but I think others could have a bit of fun trying to see what everything looked like formatted properly!

breh

強いだね
First dex is some earlier version? not sure what it is, but I translated it. Anything I didn't list (hopefully I didn't miss anything or delete anything on accident) is the same as SW99 Gold. Names in parenthesis are explicitly that Pokemon and not misnamed, but in the index that would eventually become the Pokemon listed before. For reference, here: https://pastebin.com/CY1YuAt2 (ignore machine translations unless you're looking for laughs).

Second is SW99 Gold.

Third is SW99 Silver. (copypasted for convenience)

Hoppip: Hanebouzu
Skiploom: Popobouzu
Wobbuffet: Kagebouzu
Ariados: Ariadne
Phanpy: Mamezou
Smoochum: Kisskiss
Larvitar (?): Igaruu [this is the Pokemon that is in Larvitar's slot in final, uses "spiky cyndaquil"'s sprite, and uses SW99's Pineco dex description / Pokemon category]
Tyranitar: Giras [Bangiras in final]

Bayleef: Its plant parts exert quite a strong fragrance. It also has quite a strong personality.
Sentret: A timid Pokemon that stands on its tail to get a better view of its surroundings. //similar to final
Noctowl: very similar (final separates one sentence into 2)
Ledyba: If one approaches with the intent of capturing it, it lets loose an orange liquid from its leg joints and flees.
Lanturn (Tsubomitt): It lives by extracting nutrients from the ground using its root-like legs. // "Sprout Pokemon"
Cleffa: Has a star-shaped silhouette. Given this appearance, it was believed to be the true form of shooting stars.
Igglybuff: Its legs are still wobbly, so it can't stand very well and bumps and bounces around.
Togepi: It's a newborn, so in dire situations, it releases poison from the sharp points on its head to drive off enemies.
Natu: very small wording change but same
Xatu: It stands perfectly still without moving or making any noise, apparently waiting for revelations. // similar to final
Marill: The fur on its body repels water, so even after playing around in water, its fur is still fluffy and dry. // similar to final crystal
Sunflora: Very similar, final adds "and it becomes dark"
Yanma: Looks in various directions with both of its eyes. When finding prey, it attacks before it is noticed.
Wooper (Madame): A seldom-seen rare species. Recent research has uncovered that it what it holds is an onion flower. // also "Spot-Billed Duck Pokemon" like Farfetch'd
Quagsire: It swims with a carefree attitude and often bumps its head into the hulls of boats. Its skin is slimy and hard to grip.
Slowking: Its ever-unflappable, relaxed state gives a sense of its majesty, somehow. // one of comparatively few Pokemon with totally unique entries here, unless I'm missing something. this feels really familar to me, but I don't remember where I saw it.
Misdreavus (Norowara): It lives quietly in places that people don't approach. There is a rumor that calling its name will cause one to be cursed. // "Straw Pokemon" ("Straw" is transliterated)
Wobbuffet (Twinz): The two heads are always moving in a motion like that of a whirlpool. For some reason, it's always clockwise. // "Spiral Pokemon"
Forretress (Plux): It pinches its opponent and flips it over. Its horns, which have grown long, are partially composed of steel.
Blissey: same as final // referred to as Happii here in the dex entry, not in the name
Raikou: similar to final SW99 but phrasing is the same as Entei's ("races through the land")
Entei: same as SW99
Suicune: similar to final SW99 but phrasing is the same as Entei's ("races through the land") // they didn't want this to look like a copypaste lol
Larvitar (Igaruu): same as SW99 Pineco, also called "Bagworm Pokemon" like final species name of Pineco

Chikorita: same
Bayleef: Smelling the spicy aroma that emanates from the tip of its head causes one's combat power to increase, for some reason.
Quagsire: same
Sunkern: same
Sunflora: same
Lanturn: same
Sentret: same
Aipom: same
Wooper: one word off (same)
Espeon: It has developed extrasensory power. It appears that, using its whole body, it can even sense things one would not otherwise know.
Umbreon: same
Furret: similar to final bar word order
Murkrow: same
Slowking: same
Misdreavus: slightly different; final version mentions it is specifically a prank / trick whereas original does not
Unown: same
Wobbuffet: When it takes in the sun, it slowly splits, so it hides in dark caves.
Girafarig: same
Pineco: Its shell is hard as steel and surrounds its whole body. What it looks like inside is unknown.
Shuckle: Berries stored in its pot-like shell seem to eventually turn into alcohol.
Dunsparce: When attacking prey, it hits it with its head, violently and very hard, in order to knock it unconscious.
Gligar: It swoops in, aiming for the face. While the surprise of clinging onto [its target's] face lasts, it stings with the poison stinger on its tail.
Steelix: same
Snubbull: same
Granbull: Usually mean. However, in the presence of its trainer, it can be seen to smile.
Qwilfish: In order to make its body look bigger, it quickly swallows a lot of water to expand its stomach.
Scizor: same
Forretress: It has layered tree bark and made a sturdy shell, but the shell is heavy and it practically cannot move.
Heracross: same
Sneasel: Its long, crescent-shaped claws are usually hidden in its fingers.
Teddiursa: Its sense of smell is unsurpassed and it uses it to quickly find the honey that it loves; when it finds it, the rings on its head shine.
Ursaring: Hibernates when it gets cold. For this reason, eats and eats to store energy.
Magcargo: significantly different phrasing in second sentence but same, ultimately
Corsola: Once it grows the tip of its head for some time, a new one grows. These tips are beautiful and they are popular as treasures. // presumably it falls off and a new one grows, like a tooth or a deer's horn.
Swinub: same
Piloswine: same
Slugma: same
Remoraid: It can gulp in 10 liters of water and squirt it out in an instant to snipe at its prey.
Octillery: The ink it releases spreads rapidly through water and is well-suited for concealing its body.
Delibird: Rather than "stories of", the such events are explicitly implied to have occurred (more or less same)
Hoothoot: same
Mantine: It swims as if sliding on the water's surface. As it accelerates, it begins to liftoff and fly through the air. // humorous mental image
Skarmory: slight phrasing differences but same
Houndour: same as final houndoom, just like Silver. weird
Houndoom: Even having ripped its opponent to shreds, it does not stop fighting. Filled to the brim with combativeness. // literally "a katamari of combativeness" but "a ball of combativeness" doesn't sound great. fuckin metal
Noctowl: same
Kingdra: Lives at the bottom of the ocean. The ink it releases surrounds it and conceals its body. // why is this so similar to octillery?
Phanpy: Even though it still toddles as it walks, it eats 5 times its body [weight] and steadily grows larger.
Donphan: same
Porygon2: Its program has become sophisticated and it can do many calculations at once.
Meganium: same
Smeargle: same
Tyrogue: same
Hitmontop: It has special senses to avoid becoming dizzy while maintaining a high speed spin.
Smoochum: same
Elekid: same
Magby: same
Miltank: same
Blissey: same
Raikou: A legendary roaming Pokemon that is said to bear clouds on its back in order to be able to fire lightning at will. // similar to final. "roaming" is the same word as is used to describe Pokemon like entei / raikou, cresselia, mesprit, etc.
Entei: The air around it is hot, so it is always surrounded by mirages as it races through the land. // why is movie 3 about entei? Oh, now I get it. Only one to not specifically be called a "roaming Pokemon", which is mildly interesting.
Suicune: Similar to first sentence of final, adds "divine roaming pokemon" as Raikou and also removes second sentence in the same way.
Larvitar: same
Pupitar: same
Tyranitar: same
Lugia: same
Ho-oh: A Pokemon that is spoken of in myths to have 7-colored wings that sparkle it flies through the skies. // very similar to final version
Celebi: same as Silver SW99; likely just be generic dummy dex entry
Ledyba: same
Ledian: same
Spinarak: same
Ariados: same
Cyndaquil: same
Crobat: same
Quilava: same
Yanma: It flaps its wings about 30 times a second, so it can do things like keeping its position in the air and flying in reverse. // yanma is a good bug and doesn't break windows
Chinchou: same
Pichu: same
Cleffa: same
Typhlosion: Every time its blazing fur is rubbed together, the air makes a noise similar to an explosion and startles those around it.
Igglybuff: same
Togepi: slightly different phrasing but same. uses same word as togetic, changed to diff word in final
Togetic: same
Natu: same as final
Xatu: rather than "past and future", "the future state of things", but otherwise same
Totodile: same
Mareep: Its fluffy fur is packed with electricity. Carelessly touching it will lead to paralysis, so one should act with caution.
Flaaffy: same
Croconaw: same
Ampharos: same
Bellossom: same
Marill: same as final
Azumarill: same as final silver
Feraligatr: slightly different; final adds "into shreds"
Sudowoodo: same
Politoed: It belts out a cry from the bottom of its stomach in order to signal to its allies.
Hoppip: Its body is so light that whenever it is struck by wind, it can be blown away to all kinds of locations.
Skiploom: When it is blown away by wind, it scatters seed-like objects from its head.
Jumpluff: When it sails on wind currents, it deftly moves its body, being able to practically traverse the whole world.

Chikorita: Its nice-smelling leaf has the ability to probe its surroundings.
Bayleef: Smelling the pleasant, spice-like aroma that emanates from around its neck causes one to feel hungry.
Quagsire: same
Sunkern: Asserted as fact rather than "it is said"
Sunflora: When the sun goes down, it closes its petals and stands still. Without light, it is not active.
Sentret: same
Lanturn: same (wrong name here)
Aipom: Lives high up in trees. When it jumps from branch to branch, it deftly uses its tail to keep its balance.
Wooper: When on land, a poison-infused mucous membrane is excreted. (wrong name here)
Espeon: By utilizing its 4 ears, even with its eyes closed, it knows all that occurs around it. // this is fuckin badass and the final version is hella watered down
Umbreon: same
Furret: It digs through the ground and makes a tight nest that only it can enter. It goes in tail-first.
Murkrow: same
Slowking: same
Misdreavus: When it feels as if the hair on the back of your head is being pulled, a Norowara has appeared behind you. // Still named Norowara, which apparently turned into Misdreavus, since this is very similar to the Silver Dex entry. Neat.
Unown: same
Wobbuffet: It hides away in dark places. It doesn't make attacks on its own, but when counterattacking, it returns damage threefold. // Still called Twinz. "Shadow Pokemon". Wow, Wobbuffet (body and tail) started out from a Girafarig prevo?
Girafarig: same
Pineco: same
Shuckle: At some point, it works its way into a pot. What its true body is like is unknown. // lmao"potpot" is literally a pokemon in a pot. its species name is literally the "Earthenware Pokemon", specifically the fired kind. Very silly.
Dunsparce: It is very persistent. Once it decides on a target, it follows it to the ends of the earth. // fuckin badass
Steelix: Compressed by the weight of the ground, it has come to possesses a hardness that far surpasses that of diamond. // similar to gold final
Gligar: same
Snubbull: same
Granbull: If it senses a smell that it has not smelled before, it lets out a low roar.
Qwilfish: In an instant, it can swallow 10 liters of water to expand its stomach and appear larger. // "Pukuu"
Scizor: Due to its fondness for shores, it is thought to be a species close to those like Krabby. // ??? lol
Forretress: It eats all kinds of tree bark. It sticks the leftovers onto its shell and makes its shell sturdy. (wrong name here) // also "Bagworm Pokemon" like pineco above
Heracross: same
Sneasel: same // here "Weasel Pokemon"
Teddiursa: It's skilled at climbing trees. It picks berries in high places and eats them before they fall down.
Ursaring: It is unsurpassed in its ability to discern smells and is always walking around while having its nose stuck out.
Magcargo: It has a lava-like body, but, for some reason, when it basks in the sun, its skin hardens.
Corsola: In order to protect the carefully-raised tip of its head from being eaten by Staryu, it lives in groups.
Swinub: same
Piloswine: Both of its eyes are covered in fur, but, relying on sound, it acquires its target and rams towards it in a beeline. // "Pig Boar Pokemon" like swinub
Slugma: same
Remoraid: same, but it mentions Mantine by current name of Hane'ei // both are "Jet Pokemon"; final game has "funsha (Jet, but in Japanese and not a transliteration) Pokemon"
Octillery: very close, but "crawls into" rather than "steals"
Hoothoot: same
Delibird: same
Mantine: uses slightly different word for ocean (おおうなばら vs. final ひろい うみ) but otherwise same // "Hane'ei"
Skarmory: Because its nest is located in a high-up area where violent wind rages, its skin has steadily become harder. // "Yoroidori"
Houndour: Pokemon that hear its ominous cry shake and return to their nests as fast as they can. // used for Houndoom in final
Houndoom: Parts of its skin are hardened and almost appear as if its bones have been flipped out.
Noctowl: same
Kingdra: Because it surrounds its body with ink it emits from the water in order to conceal itself, its appearance is hard to determine.
Phanpy: It can move its long upper jaw more freely than its limbs and it uses it to ward off enemies. // "Paon"; why this is called an upper jaw and not a trunk is absolutely beyond me
Donphan: same
Meganium: same
Porygon: same as final gold
Stantler: same
Smeargle: same
Tyrogue: same // "Gong"
HItmontop: same // it has eyes now instead of the horrifying pseudo-claydol in SW97
Smoochum: // "Kisskiss"
Elekid: On days with poor weather, blueish-white electrical current flows in the gap between its horns.
Magby: same
Miltank: same
Blissey: same
Raikou: same
Entei: same
Suicune: very slightly different wording but otherwise same // "Milky Way Pokemon", which may give context to why it's a Water-type, as the Milky Way is referred to as the River of the Heavens in Japanese
Larvitar: Its soft body can absorb the shock from any attack and then relax. // It's actually supposed to look like a fucking mischevous blob lmao
Pupitar: Although it is in a pupal state, it can move unrestricted. It comes charging with its hard shell. // "charge" may literally be the move "Take Down"
Tyranitar: Its forehead is said to be the hardest thing on land. Charging with its forehead, there is nothing it cannot break. // Did you know? Tyranitar = Rampardos. same point on "charge" as above
Lugia: same
Ho-oh: same
Celebi: Nobody knows details about its rumored existence. Currently under thorough investigation. // "Plant Pokemon". Seems time travelling was not its gimmick yet. Very likely dummy dex entry text, though.
Ledyba: same
Ledian: specifically mentions that it has 7 stars and is called "7 Star Pokemon". seems it went through a lot of different star numbers - 3 in SW, 7 here, 5 in final, go figure. Ledian == Marshadow?????
Spinarak: If suddenly attacked, it raises its back and shows the face pattern on it; while the enemy is surprised, it flees.
Ariados: It starts to eat after emitting a thread from its mouth and its rear and restraining its prey. // "Ariadne"
Cyndaquil: same
Crobat: same // "X Pokemon" lol
Quilava: The fur that covers its body does not burn in any fire. It is fine even in lava. // very similar
Yanma: same
Chinchou: same
Pichu: same
Cleffa: same
Typhlosion: same
Igglybuff: same
Togepi: same
Togetic: Flying floatily, it looks for a kind person that seems like they will grant it happiness.
Natu: same
Xatu: same
Totodile: Thrashes about more than one would imagine from its size. Teeth it loses from biting grow in one after the other. // same first sentence as final, same second sentence as first sentence of final Croconaw
Mareep: same
Croconaw: It spends most of its day with just its eyes and snout above the water's surface.
Flaafy: same
Ampharos: slightly different; "The bright light on its tail can be seen far away. It has been treasured since ancient times in place of a beacon."
Bellossom: same
Marill: same
Azumarill: same as final gold version
Feraligatr: same // "It is hard for it to support its own weight out of water, so it gets down on all fours. But it moves fast. " then why the fuck is it standing on two legs in every appearance???
Sudowoodo: same
Politoed: same
Hoppip: same
Skiploom: same
Jumpluff: same

Last edited:
Togepi's is relatively interesting. All the others that are different usually have some of its information follow through to their dex entry or are because they were based on entirely different designs at the time ("Wobbuffet" is clearly still based on Twinz, Forretress is referencing its original design, Dunsparce was a bit "fiercer" originally) but "It's a newborn, so in dire situations, it releases poison from the sharp points on its head to drive off enemies. " is completely different opting instead to focus on Togepi is a filled with happiness and good luck.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Togepi's is relatively interesting. All the others that are different usually have some of its information follow through to their dex entry or are because they were based on entirely different designs at the time ("Wobbuffet" is clearly still based on Twinz, Forretress is referencing its original design, Dunsparce was a bit "fiercer" originally) but "It's a newborn, so in dire situations, it releases poison from the sharp points on its head to drive off enemies. " is completely different opting instead to focus on Togepi is a filled with happiness and good luck.
Want to know something stranger? I already knew this little factoid about Togepi, not from the games as none of its dex entry says that, but rather from the TCG:

Promo Togepi:

Southern Island Togepi:

(This Pokemon is still immature. When threatened, it release poiosn from its head and tries to drive its enemies away)

In addition, the Neo Genesis Togepi may not had a dex entry that says its poisonous but for some reason it's attack is "Poison Barb":

So this is a really interesting discovery as this means the promotional Togepi cards took their dex entry from the beta/Spaceworld 99 build (infact the Southern Island dex entry is nearly word-to-word) and even up to the first official GS expansion the factoid that Togepi were poisonous was kept!

It also might explain why Togepi is the "spike ball" Pokemon, as opposed to some reference to the significantly more obvious detail that it's wearing an eggshell.

The original page seems to be gone again, but if anyone knows where to find the sprites, it might be worth seeing if there's a non-ovid Togepi.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
It also might explain why Togepi is the "spike ball" Pokemon, as opposed to some reference to the significantly more obvious detail that it's wearing an eggshell.

The original page seems to be gone again, but if anyone knows where to find the sprites, it might be worth seeing if there's a non-ovid Togepi.
I have them all on me and know for a fact there isn't one. Even in SW97 it wasn't like that. Note that Togepi's design is one of the oldest as well, being featured in the anime long before it was even in a game.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I have them all on me and know for a fact there isn't one. Even in SW97 it wasn't like that. Note that Togepi's design is one of the oldest as well, being featured in the anime long before it was even in a game.
That said, Togepi may still had its shell but its head spikes were much more taller and pointed:

Final:

Spaceworld:

Let's see the anime had Togepi's egg in march 98 adjust 4 months from the pokemon shock hiatus that's about December 98. I think the anime has about a 6 month lead time from script to production so papering over other production issues and judging by Togepi's placement in the Spaceworld listing (alongside Snubbull, incidentally) I'd be willing to guess that it was implemented into the game ardoun the same time. Give or take a month; assumedly the spaceworld demo itself was not done that november, likely an earlier stable build from around June 97?

I think I've floated this thought elsewhere, but I wonder if Aipom & possibly Leafeon were also considered for the anime. Aipom in particular would've fit in fine as part of snubbull's gang in Pikachu's Vacation.

Incidentally Togepi itself hatched in June, which after adjustment would put it around February or just a month (possibly weeks, we never had a proper release date) before the games were originally supposed to come out (March 98, funny how that worked out)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)