Pokemon Heartgold and Soulsilver In-Game Tier List (MkII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to get Seel right after beating Morty. After that, I tackled the Team Rocket Hideout before going to Chuck. This is not really optimal, because it basically means I had to cross route 41 SIX times, but I think it's the most fair to Seel.

Noctowl (30): specs confusion is a 2HKO Primeape. It's only a 4HKO on Poliwrath, counting the sitrus berry. Poliwrath can't use hypnosis on you thanks to insomnia, so it will never hit focus punch. This allows you to just truck through with confusion, though you may need a potion. Good matchup.

Venonat/Venomoth (30/31): venonat fails to even 2HKO Primeape with specs psybeam. Venomoth on the other hand, can outspeed and OHKO with specs psybeam, though this is a range. It's a 3HKO on Poliwrath. You might need to use an awakening, but it's still a pretty good matchup for Venomoth.

Primeape (29):
karate chop is a 3HKO on the opposing Primeape, so you just need to get lucky to beat it. You can use taunt to make this more consistant though. Vital spirit protects you from hypnosis, but Poliwrath overpowers Primeape anyway. Screech makes karate chop a 4HKO, but you'd be lucky to live long enough to survive that long. Overall, decent matchup.

Seel (29): specs surf is a 2HKO on Primeape. Poliwrath utterly walls Seel though. Mediocre matchup.

Noctowl (30): I mean, reflect is kinda useful against Steelix, I guess.... Terrible matchup

Venomoth (31): even tinted lens can't make Venomoth be able to hit steel types with sludge bomb. Specs psybeam is a 2HKO on Magnemite and a 5HKO on Steelix, counting the sitrus berry. Venomoth also have stun spore and sleep powder support. Mediocre matchup.

Primeape (29):
karate chop doesn't OHKO the Magnemites, but dig does. Steelix always sets up sandstorm on turn 1, so you can bop it with a focus punch if you have the move slot for it. Screech turns karate chop in a 3HKO. Smart use of screech can allow you to bypass the sitrus berry too. Good matchup.

Seel (30): it doesn't OHKO the Magnemites with specs surf, and it gets OHKO'd in return by thunderbolt. Steelix struggles to do damage to Seel though, and surf is a 2HKO against Steelix. Kind of a neutral matchup, I think.

Noctowl (30/32): specs uproar doesn't even come close to 2HKO'ing Seel, so you really have to have air slash to even stand a chance. Specs air slash 2HKO's Seel, 3HKO's Dewgong and 4HKO's Piloswine. Noctowl can't take more than two ice type attacks though, so needless to say, Noctowl is definitely not going to sweep here. Mediocre matchup.

Venomoth (31): 2HKO´s Seel and Dewgong with specs sludge bomb. Piloswine is a 3HKO. Piloswine 2HKO´s with ice fang though, so you can´t beat it without healing. Decent matchup.

Primeape (31): karate chop is a 3HKO on Seel and Dewgong. It's about a 5HKO on Piloswine because of the sitrus berry, but screech can turn it into a 3HKO though. You can abuse focus punch if you predict the AI to use hail. Overall, it's a decent matchup, but Primeape is too frail to sweep consistantly.

Seel (30): specs surf 2HKO´s Piloswine, even counting the sitrus berry. Seel and Dewgong wall it. Mediocre matchup.

Noctowl (36): specs air slash doesn't even 2HKO the Dragonairs. Gyarados and Kingdra totally overpower Noctowl. Pretty bad matchup.

Venomoth (36): Gyarados and Kingdra outspeed and overpower it. Specs sludge bomb is a 2HKO on the Dragonairs. Mediocre matchup.

Primeape (35): it can take out either Gyarados (with screech and rock tomb) or one of the Dragonairs. Kingdra just OHKO's it. Pretty bad matchup.

Dewgong (36): Gyarados and Kingdra are too bulky for Dewgong, though you can try to get lucky with sheer cold. Specs blizzard OHKO's the Dragonairs though. Decent matchup.

My thoughts so far.

Noctowl: it hasn't impressed me so far. It has decent bulk, but it can't really make use of it because it has severe power issues and it doesn't have very useful support options either. I can see it in D for now, but if it does well at the E4 I might consider C.

Venomoth: the Venonat stage is pretty bad, but it tinted lense STAB sludge bumb does really help. It has decent power and sleep powder, but its mediocre stats and bad typing hold it back. Will probably end up in C.

Primeape: another C tier probably. It has decent speed and good attack, but it's not actually that powerful because it doesn't have very strong moves. Still, it does have good coverage which makes it a decent route cleaner.

Dewgong: it comes kind of late, especially for a water type, but STAB ice type moves are very useful. Its offensive stats are lacking, but it does have access to some good moves like surf. Matchups have been so-so. Will probably end up in either D or C, depending on how it does at the E4.

TCTphantom

formerly MX42
Sorry for the long hiatus. Gonna do my thoughts on Slugma and Swinub, since the other ones there is kind of a consensus on the placement of (Girafarig, Totodile, Mareep)

Slugma to E Tier

Holy god this thing sucks. It's only real niche is the fact it is the earliest fire type available. Not only do you need to baby it up a bit to get Ember (granted its only level 8 but still), its matchups are kind of...trash. What separates this from the rest of the fire types is how slow and frail it is. It really falls off as early as Whitney. Its only truly good match ups was Bubsy and maybe Jasmine if you somehow do not get ousped and 2hkoed by Rock Throw. Do not use this thing. Will post larger logs on this thing and its awfulness later. Use any other fire type please this thing didnt become a Magcargo until f***king Victory Road.

Swinub to B Tier

This one surprised me. It does need a bit of babying and the use of two heart scales, but Mamoswine had amazing matchups in the late game. It's matchup was ok vs Karen, pretty good vs Will and Karen, and great against Lance and Koga. I used some K Items on one of the Dragonites to really go to town (also mine had the Rock Tomb TM on it). Mamoswine just cleaned up late game, 2hko ing things left and right at worst. Getting EQ at 40 just in time for the elite 4 is also solid. If we are putting a lot of faith in the Lance matchup, this thing deserves a nod at the very least.

Will post the detailed logs later.

Time for a nomination based off my experience running with it some years ago.
1594066919547.png

Skarmory to E

Skarmory comes on Route 45, right before Clair, so that automatically is a huge dent to its viability in terms of availability. Not only that, but it comes at a 5% encounter rate at Level 27, which is roughly 10 levels behind the average team at that point, AND it has a not-easy catch rate of 25 (lower than most pseudo-legends not named Beldum).

Secondly, what is this thing even doing in-game? Clair is all-around bad for it (Gyarados eats its 65 base HP alive with Dragon Rage, one Dragonair has Fire Blast, and Kingdra will snap it in two with Hydro Pump) and several Kimono Girls have special moves. Even at the E4, where it resists a fair few people, it isn't very good. Skarmory has lower Attack than even Meganium at base 80. So even if it does wall something, it's not really doing any damage at all back especially with a lack of EVs. Skarmory also gets Night Slash at 45 which is just too late for Will, and Fly and Steel Wing are just kinda meh off lackluster Attack, even though you hit some of Koga and most of Bruno super-effectively.

Spikes? Good luck surviving that long, and Lance's entire team is immune, and even then he packs four moves that really put the hurt on poor Skarmory (Aerodactyl's Thunder Fang, Charizard's Fire Fang, Thunder and Fire Blast from two of the Dragonite). Even outside Lance, at least one team member in each Elite Four battle floats over them (Will's two Xatu, Koga's Crobat, Karen's Gengar and Murkrow).

So yeah, I don't see much of a reason someone should use Skarmory. Maybe somewhat can make an argument for D, but I don't know - the low level, dismal catch rate and just all around late character syndrome really hurt this thing. When I used it, it just felt sorta there, and while the other Flying types also have issues, I'd sooner use a Fearow or Doduo than a Skarmory.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
been on a hiatus a bit, so hopefully now I can continue providing tests more commonly.

re: Swinub, I think B tier is too high for a Pokemon that comes very underleveled (I think somewhere in the 20s?) and requires such a Heart Scale investment. D / C sounds more reasonable, in my opinion.

re: Mankey, I remember I dropped mine before the E4, because it was utter garbage, though I don't think it would be particularly good at the E4 either. But since I dropped it, I am not gonna comment further than the fact I don't think Focus Punch should be considered too much for Primeape, because the AI is very... unpredictable sometimes and may decide to just strike you down with an attack instead of setting up.

but anyways, here are some logs:

Pinsir is level 31, Haunter is level 33, rest is 32

Haunter: Specs Shadow Ball OHKOs Koffing and almost OHKOs Weezing. Easy matchup.
Pinsir: 2HKOs everything with Dig
Growlithe: Specs Fire Blast OHKOs Koffing and puts Weezing in red. Missing here can prove fatal. Also, you are unlikely to sweep him, unless you evolve, never miss, and have a PP Up/Ether/whatever to either increase PP or heal it.
Stantler: Return 2HKOs Koffing and 3HKOs Weezing. Given you get Smokescreens, you are not getting very far, in most cases

Pinsir and Growlithe are level 32, rest is 33.

Haunter: Specs Shadow Ball OHKOs Magnemite and Haunter, while it 2HKOs Golbat and Feraligatr. Keep in mind Gatr is only beatable if you are at full, as you barely survive Crunch.
Pinsir: Outspeeds and OHKOs Haunter and Magnemite with Dig (if it has Mold Breaker for Haunter). X-Scissor OHKOs Sneasel and, against Feraligatr, you can 1v1 it by 3HKOing it with X-Scissor, as it fails to 2HKO you with Thrash. Avoid Golbat, unless you are using Rock Tomb (though it will damage you and you won't be able to fight Gatr).
Growlithe: Specs Fire Blast OHKOs Sneasel, Magnemite, and Haunter, while 2HKOing Golbat, putting it in red. Do not bother with Feraligatr.
Stantler: Return 2HKOs Golbat and Sneasel, while Thief 2HKOs Haunter, who Curses on you. Gatr is 3HKOed by Return and it's in your interest to put it to sleep with Hypnosis.

Haunter is level 35, rest is 33

Haunter: Specs Shadow Ball OHKOs both.
Pinsir: Dig 2HKOs Weezing. Golbat is beatable only with Rock Tomb.
Growlithe: Specs Fire Blast 2HKOs both. It barely survives attacks from both, so a miss is very fatal here.
Stantler: beats Golbat by 2HKOing it with Return, but loses to Weezing, which will pmuch 2HKO it after the damage Stantler has taken

same levels but Arcanine is level 34

Haunter: spam Specs Sludge Bomb and you win, you 2HKO at worst everything. Against Vileplume, use a Full Heal if you are put to sleep
Pinsir: -1 Dig 2HKOs Arbok and -1 X-Scissor 2HKOs Murkrow, though it's faster and 2HKOs with Wing Attack. Beats Vileplume easily.
Arcanine: Specs Fire Blast OHKOs everything. Flamethrower 2HKOs Arbok and OHKOs the rest.
Stantler: Return OHKOs Murkrow and 2HKOs Vileplume. Avoid Arbok, as -1 Return is a 3HKO and will affect its performance against the rest.

same levels

Haunter: Specs Sludge Bomb is an OHKO on Houndour and 2HKO on Koffing. Houndoom outspeeds and kills it.
Pinsir: Dig OHKOs Houndour and 2HKOs the rest. Avoid Houndoom, as it's faster.
Arcanine: Take Down 2HKOs Houndour and Fire Blast kills Koffing. Avoid Houndoom. You probably want a better move here, but *shrug*
Stantler: Return OHKOs Houndour and 2HKOs Houndoom, however Houndoom will beat you, as it's faster. Koffing is also an easy target.

Pinsir and Arcanine are level 36, rest is 37

Haunter: Specs Sludge Bomb fails to 2HKO Gyarados, which 2HKOs back with Bite, though it does 2HKO Dragonair, but with no item support, you are beating only one.
Pinsir: 2HKOs Dragonair with X-Scissor, but you are beating only one
Arcanine: toilet matchup, I think it's very obvious why.
Stantler: 2HKOs Dragonair with Return, but you are beating only one

everything is level 39

Haunter: Specs Shadow Ball outspeeds and OHKOs Kadabra and Haunter and 2HKOs Golbat.
Pinsir: easily kills Haunter and Magneton with EQ, while X-Scissor covers Sneasel and Kadabra. Golbat and Feraligatr cause problems, the latter, especially, if Reflect is up.
Arcanine: Specs Flamethrower OHKOs Sneasel, Kadabra, Haunter, and Magneton, while 2HKOing Golbat.
Stantler: Return 2HKOs Sneasel and Golbat and OHKOs Kadabra. Zen Headbutt OHKOs Haunter. If at full, Gatr can be defeated by 2HKOing it with Return after Leer.

everything is level 42

Haunter: Specs Shadow Ball outspeeds and OHKOs everything.
Pinsir: After SD, X-Scissor will OHKO on rolls first Xatu. However, second Xatu will outspeed and finish you off if you took a Psychic from the previous one. In addition, Jynx also outspeeds (and 2HKOs with Psychic), so you are unable to reset up on it. Overall, you are likely beating only Slowbro and Exeggutor
Arcanine: Specs Flamethrower OHKOs Jynx and Eggy and 2HKOs the Xatu (Specs Fire Blast OHKOs the level 40 one).
Stantler: Return 2HKOs level 40 Xatu and Jynx. The rest are 3HKOed at best. Furthermore, Stantler is likely to lose against Jynx. Bad matchup.

Haunter is level 43, rest is 42

Haunter: Specs Shadow Ball 2HKOs Ariados, Venomoth, and Muk. Crobat generally finishes it off.
Pinsir: +2 EQ almost OHKOs Ariados. Crobat forces you out, though. If you can lure in Forretress, you can set up 3 SDs on it (cause why not) and finish off the rest with EQs.
Arcanine: Specs Flamethrower OHKOs Forry, Venomoth, and Ariados, while 3HKOing (due to berry) Crobat and Muk. Crobat is actually beatable if you get lucky enough, though.
Stantler: Zen Headbutt 2HKOs Ariados and Venomoth and 3HKOs Muk. Don't bother with Crobat, due to Double Team.

Arcanine and Haunter are level 43, rest is 42

Haunter: Specs Sludge Bomb 2HKOs the Hitmons and they do not threaten it a lot (Hitmonlee just sets up Focus Energy instead of going for Blaze Kick). Machamp can be Cursed (you are forced out before that by Onix) to make it easier to handle.
Pinsir: Hitmontop doesn't threaten you at all, so you can set up 3 SDs and OHKO everything with Earthquake. Hitmonlee is the only thing that outspeeds you, but it fails to OHKO with Blaze Kick, so no worries.
Arcanine: 2HKOs Hitmons and Onix with Specs Flamethrower and 3HKOs Machamp (doesn't even put it at yellow). You are very unlikely to get many kills, though (at most Hitmontop and Onix if you aim for a sweep).
Stantler: Zen Headbutt 2HKOs the Hitmons, though Hitmonlee will OHKO you with HJK.

same levels (Pinsir becomes level 43 after beating Umbreon)

Haunter: Specs Sludge Bomb OHKOs Murkrow, then Houndoom forces it out. Specs Shadow Ball OHKOs Gengar (albeit it does not outspeed it) and 2HKOs Vileplume. You can potentially Curse Houndoom if it goes for Flamethrower and you are not locked into another move.
Pinsir: +2 X-Scissor OHKOs Umbreon and Murkrow and then dies to Houndoom. However, you can try resetting up on Gengar (if you are at full) and OHKO it with EQ and to beat Vileplume easily.
Arcanine: defeats Murkrow and Vileplume. Gengar is beatable, but Destiny Bond will take it down.
Stantler: takes out only Murkrow. Vileplume manages to 2HKO it while Stantler fails to...

Against Lance, nothing managed to beat even one thing. Hell, when I tried to set up on Gyara, he switched it out for Aerodactyl....

nominations

Gastly (No Trade) -> B
For most parts, it was a little bit similar to Gengar in terms of performance. It definitely lacked some things Gengar had, though: sweeping Chuck, having something for Jasmine, and the E4 performance was better for Gengar. However, Haunter at least has the room to run Curse, which is very handy against some more difficult opponents, should you survive of course.

Pinsir -> B
For most parts, Pinsir has the same performance as Heracross, though it is somewhat wishi-washy at places (most notably Chuck), however, it is heavily hindered by dumb availability (like for real, 5% encounter during bug contest isn't really desirable...). It's also worth mentioning that Seismic Toss is your only damaging move till Revenge at level 18 and I think such attacking combo is a great hinderance for Pinsir and thus I cannot see it higher than B.

Growlithe -> C / B
I think this will need another test. I relied a lot on Flamethrower at the E4 and, honestly, it was pretty great. However, I think this needs more tests (one for Growlithe till Flamethrower and one for Arcanine as soon as possible), because me trying to use both to an extent affected by ability to tier them. Based on experience, Arcanine's pre-E4 matchups are much better than if you were to hold off evolving, so more tests on this are necessary to conclude the best way to use it.

Stantler -> D
Mediocretler is... mediocre. The worst Normal-type to use for Morty (its only option for him is Astonish), cannot handle Jasmine's Magnemites in any way, and, overall, fails to even 2HKO a lot of the times. I'd say even Sudowoodo is more useful than that. I know there's a CM set with CBeam / Solar Beam / Shadow Ball, but with the way I used it (Return + Friend Ball), it's D-tier. I don't think Hypnosis is enough to push it to a higher tier

any requests for future tests? I don't know when I am gonna get to them, though, keep in mind.

TCTphantom

formerly MX42
been on a hiatus a bit, so hopefully now I can continue providing tests more commonly.

re: Swinub, I think B tier is too high for a Pokemon that comes very underleveled (I think somewhere in the 20s?) and requires such a Heart Scale investment. D / C sounds more reasonable, in my opinion.

any requests for future tests? I don't know when I am gonna get to them, though, keep in mind.
Fair enough on Swinub. I would say C tier at worst though, I do not like putting something that has a solid match up vs Lance too low on the list.

In terms of mons that I think would be interesting to test, I think Exeggcute and Diglett would be interesting but its on you.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Diglett / Exeggcute / Marill (from Mt. Mortar, I don't wanna stack Pokemon from the same availability) / Sentret (gonna test for actual viability, rather than HM utility) is it, then

As for Exeggcute, I will evolve it at level 27, which is when it learns Confusion

Fair enough on Swinub. I would say C tier at worst though, I do not like putting something that has a solid match up vs Lance too low on the list.

In terms of mons that I think would be interesting to test, I think Exeggcute and Diglett would be interesting but its on you.
Solid matchup is very reaching here. The last time I used Mamo it required an Omni Boost to sweep through everything. It was too slow to outspeed without the Omni Buff and it suffers from Gyarados's Intimidate making Ice Shard lack killing potential on the Nites. Not to mention you need to invest in a babying period of low to mid 20s, get it to 33, then Heart Scale Ancient Power, THEN raise it to 34. And the payout, shaky matchups on Clair, Bruno, and Lance. With all this compounded it is more likely to end up in D with the potential of C. To reach C it will require an almost flawless record in the last bit of the game.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mamoswine: Tough placement. Only realistically comes after Claire, requires significant training investment, requires backtracking for a Heart Scale and the move relearner, but is also pretty damn awesome. Earthquake/Avalanche off of 120 base attack and very good bulk is a bit nutty. Answers both of Will's Xatus, beats his Jynx and Egg if you want, cleans Koga's clock if you so desire, Muk and Crobat at the least, contributes vs Karen, and will always take one hit from the non-Fire Blast Dragonites to clean them up. Definitely no worse than E tier and I think you can make an argument for D tier with its strong late game performance.
Quoting for reference. Doesn't sweep Lance by any means but can consistently take down his mons.

I'm half considering doing a test for this game. Are there any Pokemon that people want me to try out that haven't been covered yet or need further analysis?

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
I'm half considering doing a test for this game. Are there any Pokemon that people want me to try out that haven't been covered yet or need further analysis?
Growlithe and Lapras would be things I recommend. Former is unsure (C or B), latter see if the good SpA IV (mine was around 20 iirc) gave me the impression of A-tier performance.

For Growlithe, you can try either keeping it as one till level 34 or evolve immediately. Former is probs in need of more urgent testing but maybe wait for Turdterra to say otherwise

Hmmm. Growlithe and Lapras for sure. I’m planning on testing Lapras as well so once both tests are done we can probably come to a consensus on it. Please not a Consensus means it can still be moved, it’s just means a good portion of testers agree on the placement. I think we can stop starters now unless more wish to test them.

As for Growlithe and it waiting or evolving immediately, I leave that decision up to you.

I'm wondering who to use as my starter seeing as Elm's bunch are close to having a consensus. Lemon already tested Mareep, and Ryota did Gastly. Bellsprout maybe?

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
I'm wondering who to use as my starter seeing as Elm's bunch are close to having a consensus. Lemon already tested Mareep, and Ryota did Gastly. Bellsprout maybe?
I have used Bellsprout and I'd say it's D-tier (can provide logs if requested). I suggest taking Rattata, as there was a bit of a rank dispute about it (check mainly the end-game).

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
got bored so I started a new run, given I run through HGSS really fast

Sentret is level 12 and beats Pidgey by 2HKOing it with Quick Attack. Gl with Pidgeotto

Furret(17) wins by spamming Quick Attack, only watch out for Smokescreen.

Furret(18) can only beat Scyther if it lands 9 Fury Swipes (due to Sitrus Berry), though keep in mind Super Potions too. Not the most reliable matchup.

Furret(19) 2HKOs Gastly with Quick Attack after Foresight. Croconaw is defeated by 9 Fury Swipes and Zubat is Quick Attack spam.

Exeggcute is level 20, Furret is level 21

Furret: Return 4HKOs Miltank and it simply is too much for Furret. Don't bother. Easily beats Clefairy... just like anything else, really
Exeggcute: Miltank crushes it, but it beats Clefairy with MiracleSeed Solar Beam.

everything is level 21

Furret: Shadow Claw and Dig cover Gastly and Magnemite, while Return 3HKOs Croconaw and gets an easy kill on Zubat. Good matchup
Exeggcute: avoid Gastly and Zubat, as the latter is only hit by Uproar, but has Wing Attack. Easily kills Croconaw with MS Solar Beam and can muscle through Magnemite.
Azumarill: Surf 2HKOs Magnemite and Gastly, but both are annoying due to Twave and Confuse Ray/Curse. Return 2HKOs and 3HKOs Zubat and Croconaw, respectively, if caught in Friend Ball.

everything is level 25

Furret: just spam Shadow Claw and you will win
Exeggcute: hahahaha. Hahahahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Azumarill: If you manage to set up a DCUrl and use a Rollout without being Cursed or paralyzed, you have essentially won, as Rollout will be able to take down his whole team, unless it misses. But too RNG-reliant.

Current thoughts on members so far:

Furret
At least this isn't as bad as Stantler. Sentret, performance-wise, is either D or C, depending on next matchups.

Exeggcute
This's been terrible. It's pretty useless for Gym fights before evolving. Solar Beam is preferred to Bullet Seed, becasue it can outdamage two 5 Bullet Seeds and Exeggcute's Attack is atrocious. Currently E-tier

Azumarill
Currently E-tier, D at best. Not very reliable for the two matchups it participates in. Overall, you probs should catch it later, as the 1% one isn't worth it, as it's not reliable for Morty and Silver. Catch this one with Friend Ball, though.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
Eggy and Azu are 28, rest is 29

Furret: Return spam wins easily.
Exeggutor: Confusion OHKOs the Poisons and MS Solar Beam OHKOs Raticate.
Azumarill: Rollout spam gets through him easily
Dugtrio: Shadow Claw 2HKOs and 3HKOs Zubat and Koffing, while Dig 2HKOs Raticate by putting it in red. You may not be able to win this, due to confusion hax or Smokescreen hax.

everything is level 31

Furret: Return 2HKOs Primeape and 4HKOS Poliwrath (due to berry). There are instances in which the AI will just spam Focus Punch. If this happens, Furret actually wins...
Exeggutor: Specs Confusion OHKOs and 2HKOs Primeape and Poliwrath. Easy sweep.
Azumarill: Return 2HKOs Primeape and 4HKOs Poliwrath. Similarly to Furret, the AI may derp and spam Focus Punch only. If this happens, Azu can sweep the fight.
Dugtrio: can potentially 2HKO Primeape with Magnitude, as Dig gives it too many turns to Double Team. But if Focus Punch lands, it's roasted.

same levels

Furret: Dig OHKOs Magnemite, while Surf 4HKOs Steelix, who will generally beat you.
Exeggutor: Specs Solar Beam OHKOs everything. However, Sandstorm will halve Solar Beam's power, thus turning it into a 3HKO due to Berry.
Azumarill: If you teach it Dig, it will outspeed and OHKO the Magnemite. Surf 2HKOs Steelix, even with berry.
Dugtrio: Dig OHKOs Magnemite, but loses to Steelix

everything is level 32

Furret: Return 2HKOs and 3HKOs Seel and Dewgong. Dewgong leaves Furret at 1 HP after two Aurora Beams and one Ice Shard.
Exeggutor: MS Solar Beam OHKOs everything. However, you need to put everything to sleep to win, as Seel sets up Hail. Dewgong is faster and 2HKOs with Aurora Beam. Piloswine finishes you off if it is not put to sleep for two turns.
Azumarill: DCurl + Rollout breaks through his whole team, but it may take some time if it misses.
Dugtrio: 2HKOs Seel with Dig, but that's it.

everything is level 33

Furret: Surf 2HKOs all Koffing and struggles with Weezing. Specs won't change the matchup
Exeggutor: Specs Confusion outspeeds and OHKOs everything
Azumarill: Specs Surf outspeeds and OHKOs Koffing. Weezing outspeeds and is 2HKOed, but it spams Sludge, so if no poison, you sweep.
Dugtrio: really bad. Barely deals damage to Koffing and they wear it out fast.

Eggy is level 34, rest is 33

Furret: Return 2HKOs and 3HKOs Golbat and Feraligatr before being put in red. Then Dig OHKOs Magnemite and Shadow Claw OHKOs Haunter. Sneasel will finish it off, unless you heal, which is then 2HKOed by Return.
Exeggutor: Confusion 2HKOs Golbat, which 3HKOs with Air Cutter. Haunter will beat this, generally. Feraligatr is OHKOed by Solar Beam, but you are 3HKOed by Crunch. Sneasel's Faint Attack also 3HKOs. As a whole, super reliant on Sleep Powder to do much.
Azumarill: DCurl + Rollout can crush the whole team, but due to Golbat's Confuse Ray, it may take some time to take off.
Dugtrio: Shadow Claw OHKOs Haunter and Dig OHKOs Magnemite, but that's it. Sneasel is 2HKOed by Dig, but you gotta be at full.

Dugtrio is level 34, rest is 35

Furret: Return 2HKOs and 3HKOs Golbat and Weezing. If you use a Full Heal on confusion, then you can only beat Weezing if it doesn't poison you, as it 3HKOs with Sludge. Otherwise, you may have to break through confusion
Exeggutor: Specs Confusion OHKOs both of his mons. Watch out for confusion
Azumarill: Specs Surf 2HKOs both of his mons, but there's a lot of hax involved.
Dugtrio: 4HKOs Golbat with Shadow Claw, if you were to be lucky enough (due to confusion hax)

same levels

Furret: If you avoid Arbok, Return spam crushes Murkrow and Vileplume (2HKO on both).
Exeggutor: Specs Confusion OHKOs Arbok and Vileplume.
Azumarill: If you can lure in Murkrow, you can try Rollout spam, but Vileplume is unreliable matchup
Dugtrio: 2HKOs Arbok with Dig. Murkrow is only beatable if you have Rock Tomb.

Same levels

Furret: Dig OHKOs Houndour and 2HKOs Houndoom. Houndoom 3HKOs with Fire Fang. Return also 2HKOs Koffing, but you are gonna take too much damage and cannot beat Houndoom
Exeggutor: beats Koffing
Azumarill: Rollout crushes his team, watch out for Bite flinches. Specs Surf fails to win if you are not lucky, but will 2HKO Houndoom
Dugtrio: Dig OHKOs Houndour and 2HKOs Houndoom, being able to eat one Fire Fang.

current thoughts on members so far:

Furret
Leaning towards C-tier. Its a rather handy Pokemon that lacks the power of most Normal-types that I have nommed to B. Handy against Chuck, Jasmine, Pryce, and the Rocket executives. Also really solid against Silver.

Exeggutor
Leaning towards D-tier. It hits very hard with Specs Solar Beam, but has to rely on Sleep Powder a lot, esp since 2 Gym Leaders can halve its power with weathers. Also, held back by the bad Exeggcute period.

Marill
Either E or D. Very unreliable, as it needs Rollout chain to not be broken, but otherwise crushes most fights with it. I will let the next matchups decide the tier.

Diglett
E-tier. 4% encounter, not the easiest thing to grind, and mostly mediocre matchups. The only good things about it are a good Archer matchup and the fact a Super Potion for it is like Hyper Potion for most.

diglett.jpg
sentret.jpg
marill.jpg

exeggcute.jpg

Hey, checking in to start testing. Any currently disputed mons people want another opinion on? I'm open to doing anything.

I have an idea for you (unless people have tested it already): Shuckle
While Shuckle is going in E, I felt like I wanted to give a good explanation as to why.

Shuckle has joke-tier offense - base 10 in each. In-game is entirely about Speed and good offense. And its movepool is absolutely pathetic.
Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 5.50.07 PM.png

Shuckle also has terrible matchups. Chuck Rock Slides and Surfs his way over it, Jasmine outmuscles it, Pryce chips you down with Hail and you have literally no Rock moves outside of the Rock Tomb TM (and WHY are you using it on Shuckle) and Clair has Dragon Rage Gyarados which cuts through Shuckle's pathetic base 20 HP, and of course, Kingdra (and also Aqua Tail). The Elite Four...yeah they also outmuscle you.

Add in the fact that the few things you could do with Shuckle (Toxic TM is postgame, Power Trick is impractical and is firmly out of reach at level 48 when we start the final battles at level 43, and even Rollout isn't available to it).

Pure stalling Pokemon never work in lists like this. Cottonee in BW1, Shieldon and Bronzor in DPPT - they never end up in the upper tiers because in-game is about powering through things as fast as possible. There's some rare things that aren't fast but still work, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Even Pokemon with decent offenses suffer in these lists:
Exhibit A: Koffing in D tier - Weezing only has 85 Special Attack.
Exhibit B: Ninetales with Flamethrower until you realize it's only off base 81 Special Attack.

So yes, Shuckle should never be considered, not even for a joke. I'd rather use Wobbuffet - at least it can take out a boss's ace okay sometimes.

Yeah, looks like Shuckle has been decided upon. Sandshrew sounded like it needed another test, and I was thinking a potential Wooper and Miltank addition from the looks of the single nominations they seem to have here. Any advice on that front or suggestions for a 4th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)