Pokemon Of The Year: Your Picks and Predictions

I have a question for you people that are more into the entire Pokemon fandom rather than just the games.

Why exactly are Lucario and Greninja so popular?

I can understand Pikachu, Mimikyu & the eevolutions (as they're basically mascots), and Charizard is the original dragon (except in typing, kekw), but... why exactly Lucario and Greninja?

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I have a question for you people that are more into the entire Pokemon fandom rather than just the games.

Why exactly are Lucario and Greninja so popular?

I can understand Pikachu, Mimikyu & the eevolutions (as they're basically mascots), and Charizard is the original dragon (except in typing, kekw), but... why exactly Lucario and Greninja?
They look cool and are frequently given attention (Smash Bros., major appearances in the anime, special alternate forms in Mega Lucario and Ash-Greninja respectively). It's really just that simple.

They are popular for rhe same reason Charizard is popular. They look cool, they had good marketing, theyre cool to use, they're strong. Meanwhile Lucario is a jackle and Greninja a ninja, people love those things.

And going back to the marketing, its not just they get big pushes, Lucario in particular, its that people enjoy it. They stuck with people, so theyre happy to see them and such. So it's also a feedback loop.
Contrast with Zoroark

As I was saying... Lucario, Eevee, Zoroark and Lycanroc have no business being up there.

I'm surprised Flygon is only 26th.
Why? They're all very popular, and this reflects that.

Favourite Pokémon is completely subjective anyway, and it's all up to peoples' personal opinion and there's no wrong answer. We're not talking about something objective here, like Basculin not deserving to exist

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
So I guessed 3/4 of the Galar top 4 but missed the mark on Gen 5 completely. I'm pleased!

Dragapult at #11 is actually incredibly impressive. We haven't even been aware of its existence for half a year and yet it's just barely out of the top 10 and right behind monoliths like Rayquaza and Gengar! It can only go up from here, really.

I'm also very surprised about Luxray being #21. Even with Game Freak essentially ignoring it since Gen 4 ended its fanbase has held strong!

Finally, can I just say how poetically justified it is that the Pokemon whose entire lore revolves around imitating the mascot of the franchise for the love and attention it desperately craves is now the 3rd most popular Pokemon online, surpassing the Pokemon it copied by 16 places? Godspeed to Mimikyu and praise best generation!

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Predictions:

1) Charizard / Pikachu / Eevee / Mewtwo / Gengar / [insert generic Gen 1 fanmon here]: Pretty self-explanatory. All of these are well-known and incredibly popular.

2) Umbreon / Tyranitar / Ampharos: All of these have a good shot at taking the win, though Umbreon’s fanbase is nuts. Tyranitar and Ampharos have solid backing from non-Eevee fans. Honorable mention to Scizor here. For the memes, watch out for Stantler’s placement.

3) Gardevoir / Absol / Blaziken: Imo Gardevoir stands among the rest as a huge icon for tons of people, but Absol and Blaziken have a shot amongst the fans who value how cool a Pokémon is.

4) Lucario: I think nothing in Gen 4 comes close to Lucario. The likes of Luxray, Infernape, and Garchomp are quite a bit under.

5) Volcarona / Chandelure / Hydreigon: These 3 are probably the biggest standouts amongst the Gen V pool which is fairly divisive among the fanbase. It could honestly go either way. Small chance, but Zoroark could potentially go here too.

6) Sylveon / Greninja / Aegislash: Sylveon is your typical Eevee and the icon of Fairies, while Greninja is your generic shillmon; both have great fanbases. Aegislash comes close as a perceived “good objectmon”, and with Sword / Shield out, as well as Leon having one, it should definitely be up there as well.

7) Mimikyu: This one is also a very clear winner among the crew of Gen 7. I think Rowlet and Lycanroc have solid backing too, but they don’t match up to Mimikyu.

8) Dragapult / Snom / Toxtricity: The newest gen has the honeymoon period to contend with, but I think these 3 stand-out as essentially universally loved AND recognized - Toxtricity gets some bonus points for being highlighted as the next event Gigantamax. As much as I love it, I’d say Dracovish is too controversial to make the top end of the list, but it should get a lot of votes too.
Pretty much nailed all of these, down to the order. I think it’s important to recognize that you need to look outside of your concentrated bubbles (forums like these, Reddit, etc.) and look into the anime and the merchandise - most of it spells out these mons one way or another. The incredible popularity of some of these shouldn’t be surprising...

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Y'know, it just dawned upon me that Mewtwo of all things didn't even make the top 30. The OG major legendary and one of Gen 1's biggest names has really let himself go, huh? At least he got top 10 on the Kanto list I guess... While I'm at it, lemme go through the individual top 30s by generation and write down some observations.

Kanto: Already mentioned Mewtwo's placement, but what the heck is Dragonair doing at #27? I don't see people talk about it that much. Slowpoke and Magnemite also seem kinda sus, but I'm pretty sure they got to rely on meme magic.

Johto: Press F for Stantler, didn't make it to this region's top 30 despite all the meme hype. Furret managed to walk his way to #12 though, so good job! Funnily enough, both Typhlosion and Cyndaquil are in the top 10 with Totodile being the only other starter to just barely scrape in.

Hoenn: Mudkip is #6, making a full starter line with Sceptile and Blaziken! Wait a sec... Aron at #13? Edging out Aggron by 1 spot no less? Huh.

Sinnoh: My man JOIN aka the real #001 at 12th place. Glaceon higher up than I was expecting too, actually the highest ranked cross-gen evolution from Gen 4! Lopunny above Weavile, Roserade and Porygon-Z tho... That's pretty cringe, not gonna lie.

Unova: Pretty much what you'd expect top 10-wise: Mascots, Volcarona, Haxorus, Serperior and so on. Emolga in the top 30 though? And Golurk just barely making it? Whimsicott's also super high too at #12, although it's possible its current popularity in VGC has something to do with that.

Kalos: All the members of the Fennekin line are super close: #14 for Fennekin, #17 for Delphox and #18 for Braixen. Also, again with a Pikaclone blowing my popularity expectations away with Dedenne at #8, beating out both mascots and Hawlucha!

Alola: YOU'RE BOY IN THE TOP 10 YOU'RE BOY IN THE TOP 10. Also wow at Zeraora beating out both Marshadow and Magearna as Gen 7's most popular mythical considering it's probably the most divisive/poorly set-up of the 3, although perhaps the Power of Us boosted its placement a bit?

Galar: Darn, Sirfetch'd just barely missed the top 10! Also lmao at the huge gap between Snom and Frosmoth. Cinderace is the most popular starter, Wooloo holds on to top 10 status and Alcremie is way more well-liked than I thought.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I'll go through the top 30s and point out things that I find interesting.

1: Honestly not much interesting here. We've had these guys for over 25 years and how popular each one is is pretty cemented by now. The most surprising things are how the Abra line isn't even in the top 30 which I think is a drop in popularity from previous polls, and Muk's historic rise to #16 beating the likes of Charmander, Ditto, and Slowpoke. Articuno is the only Legendary Bird who made the top 30, perhaps because Electric- and Fire-Type Pokémon are already very well represented in the list, while the only other Ice-Type Pokémon is Lapras at #10.

2: The new types introduced in Gen II reign supreme, with Murkrow, Sneasel, and Steelix being the only members of the new types introduced in Gen II not being represented, and Umbreon and Tyranitar taking the top spots. Suicune placed top 10 and Entei further down the list, but Raikou is nowhere to be found. Kingdra is perhaps lower than expected at #30 being beaten by both members of the Quagsire line, and the highest-placing Baby Pokémon is Pichu at #19, followed closely by Togepi at #21. By far the most surprising thing here, to me, is Natu at #18. I'm a huge fan of Natu so I'm happy to see it, but it beat the aforementioned Baby Pokémon, Houndoom, Shuckle, Misdreavus, and Wobbuffett, to name some Pokémon that I would definitely have expected it to lose to. Let's go, Natu!

3: This list is completely expected up to #12, but #13 and #14 are Aron and Aggron, respectively. I think it's awesome since I love both Pokémon, but I have to wonder why Aron beat its evolution? Ludicolo is lower than I'd have though at #28, keeping company with Sableye and Shedinja either side of it. Mightyena slides in at #30 which is a little surprising since I thought everyone had forgotten about it, but the popularity of Dark-Type probably keeps it on the list since the typing as a whole has been very successful in this poll. Breloom also underachieved at #19, losing to the likes of Mawile and Altaria, but recent surges in those two Pokémon's profile while Breloom has been fairly left out may explain it. Overall, Gen III went pretty much as expected, though it's surprising that the Aron line would be an easy top 5 is this were done by evolutionary lines.

4: There's genuinely nothing surprising about Gen IV's rankings at all.

5: Chandelure got into Pokken Tournament for a reason: people forget all the time how popular it is, but it's held the accolade of most popular Unovan Pokémon for a while. Joltik ranked #27 while Galvantula didn't break top 30 which, though surprising, makes sense since Joltik is pretty damn cute. Genesect and Keldeo, who had pretty big pushes, only made #30 and #26 respectively. Excadrill is at #19 behind Pokémon like Scolipede and Reuniclus who have completely organic popularity, which is pretty cool. At first I was surprised by Whimsicott at #12 but upon second thought it's actually expected; I think Whimsicott had the potential for icon status had it been pushed more.

6: Noivern beats Talonflame and Goodra to place at #4 which is awesome and a little unexpected considering the marketing the other 2 have had that Noivern hasn't. Similarly, Hawlucha is right down at #12 behind Pokémon like Tyrantrum and Dedenne. The Espurr line are big winners with it placing #19 and its evolution Meowstic at #13. Froakie had a shocker placing #30, behind Pokémon like Phantump, Pumpkaboo, Dragalge, and Trevenant.

7: The top 6 here are pretty much who you would expect based on marketing investment and if not for Golisopod at #7, the entire top 10 would be. Buzzwole is the most popular Ultra Beast at #11, while no other Ultra Beasts even made top 30. Tapu Koko is the only Tapu to place, expectedly, but it only managed #25 which is a little surprising. Kommo-o, who has been pushed quite a bit, lost to Vikavolt and Salazzle due to their organic popularity. Tsareena and Lurantis both made the list, continuing their pretty unexpected iconic status.

8: Probably the most interesting and exciting. Dragapult makes its mark as the debut icon for Gen VIII, but it only earned around 2,000 votes more than Toxtricity, making them somewhat of a breakout star duo. Corviknight is the third organically popular Pokémon and final one to rank above the internet-generated popularity of Snom, making these 3 the ones to watch for marketing this time around as well as perhaps Alcremie at #5 for its appeal to women. Yamper and Wooloo make top 10 which demonstrates how, soon after a game's release, having a big role in the video games can successfully generate popularity that it's now TPCi's job to try and build off of. Rillaboom loses the starter war for the generation ranking at #29 and Grookey ranking below its fellow base starters too at #20. Hatterene, Falinks and Appletun beat out pushed Pokémon like Morpeko, Grimmsnarl, and Eternatus, which I hope TPCi takes notice of in order to support these Pokémon lines in the future. I was honestly expecting to see Applin here somewhere and pretty surprised to see Eiscue rank at all. Dracovish wins the fossil war being the only one to rank -- I was expecting to see Arctozolt here as well.

Overall Top 30: As others have said, the top 3 being Gen IV or later is awesome to see. Dragapult beating Tyranitar, and Toxtricity beating Rowlet, Aegislash and Chandelure, is a great sign for this generation's popularity and is pretty unexpected. Luxray making #21 is impressive, above fellow canine Lycanroc who has been pushed way more, and way more recently. Hydreigon keeping pace with Flygon is a little surprising but also nice to see, considering Gen V's relative annihilation this time around.

Winners:
Porygon Line - The Porygon line manage to appear in each of their 3 respective generations. Porygon is #21 in Gen I, Porygon2 is #25 in Gen II, and Porygon-Z is #30 in Gen IV. Their popularity is especially impressive considering Porygon2 and Porygon-Z have never appeared in the anime, and Porygon's sole anime appearance is banned everywhere. I've been expecting to see this line get supported again for a while now; I really thought Porygon-Z would get a mega and in the buildup to Gen VIII I thought it's get a Gigantamax. Perhaps this poll will be the final show of support to make Game Freak give them some attention again.

Lugia - The fanbase's 2nd-favourite legendary and the only one to make the top 30 besides Rayquaza, am I the only one surprised by this? I knew it was more popular than Ho-oh, but it's also more popular than Mew and Mewtwo, and every legendary that's come after it. Fair play.

Gen VIII - 4 Pokémon in the Top 30 is pretty impressive for the first poll after its release; I'm pretty sure it's performed better than Gen VI and VII in their respective post-release polls. Alcremie almost made it, too. Dragapult was only a couple thousand votes beneath Gengar, who placed one spot above it, meaning Gengar might have some competition for the crown of most iconic Ghost-Type -- after having beaten worthy challengers Aegislash and Chandelure to the title.

Gen III Legendaries/Mythicals - Was this the golden age of Legendary Pokémon design? This is the only generation where every Legendary and Mythical Pokémon is in the top 30, comprising almost a quarter of the entire list. Even with Latias and Latios splitting the vote between the two of them they both made the list easily.

Dark- and Ghost-Type - 11 of the top 30 are one of these two types, with 5 and 6 representatives respectively. Dragon-Type also achieved well with 5 representatives, matching Dark-Type, but Dragon-Type Pokémon are pushed hard every generation while Pokémon like Umbreon, Chandelure, Aegislash and Hydreigon have pretty much generated their popularity organically.

Rowlet - I know that Rowlet has been pushed hard in the anime and other media, but it beat both Pikachu and Eevee. That's impressive, and it's the 2nd-highest NFE behind Bulbasaur who will always have the title of most popular LC mon.

Luxray - This Pokémon's popularity will never die, I swear. Why it didn't receive a mega or gigantamax is beyond me, but perhaps Game Freak figures they can't build upon perfection. They tried to emulate Luxray with Lycanroc and, sure, Lycanroc also made top 25, but it was still beaten by Luxray who has had way less marketing and push behind it. Had it been used by Ash in the anime I can see this being a Top 15, easily.

Muk - I don't recall if Muk has been this popular for a while or not, but it's surprising to see it above the likes of Charmander, Psyduck and Nidoking.

Natu - Similar to Muk -- how did it rank so highly and when did it become popular?

Furrett - Walky boi really worked out for it. This is the definition of a Pokémon being pushed by the internet into popularity but it's also pretty organic. There was always potential for Furrett to be way more popular than it is; glad to see it come to fruition.

Snom - Coming to a toy store near you.

Losers:
Gen V - Damn. It got fewer Pokémon into the top 30 then Gen VIII with only 3, which for a generation that introduced 150 new Pokémon really sucks. I like a lot of Gen V designs, but I think they lost their shot at iconography with all of the ill will surrounding Unova only including new Pokémon in their regional dex.

Abra Line - The Abra line normally performs pretty well in these polls. I have no idea what's behind the drop in popularity, but it's kind of a shame, with none of them making the Top 30 for Kanto.

Scyther - Scyther was good at maintaining its own popularity despite receiving a cool evolution in Scizor. I'm not sure what's behind it dropping out of Kanto's top 30 entirely, but perhaps Pinsir becoming more popular has something to do with it now that it's claimed the most iconic Bug-Type title for Gen I. Remember when Scyther and Pinsir were counterparts? That was cool.

Heracross - Heracross-Mega may have ruined Heracross. It's a pretty unpopular mega, and most people see it as a downgrade from Heracross' original design. This may have been a case where it would have been better to leave Heracross as it was and just not give it the special treatment that its popularity demanded, because it's now less popular than Feraligatr, Chikorita and Crobat, dropping gradually down the list of Johto popularity to reside next to Natu.

Raikou - Earns the title of least popular Legendary Beast, for some reason. All of Suicune, Entei and Raikou have been popular in their own rights since they were introduced, but suddenly Raikou is now less popular than Wooper, Misdreavus, Shuckle and Wobbuffett. I wonder what's behind this?

Breloom - Years of neglect by Game Freak and TPCi has taken its toll on Breloom, whose popularity is receding with each passing generation. This used to easily be one of the most iconic Gen III Pokémon, so seeing it at #19 is a little sad.

Manectric - Manectric didn't even make the Top 30 for Hoenn while fellow doggo Mightyena did. That's after receiving the support of a mega and appearing in Galar, neither of which happened to Mightyena. I wonder what's behind this decline in popularity too, because I really have no idea.

Emboar Line - The only starter line not to appear in their region's top 30 in any form. Can we accept that it's still a pretty great line, despite being the third Fire/Fighting starter in a row? I mean, they were beaten by Mincinno, Emolga, Joltik, and Litwick, who all made Top 30. Tepig isn't even Fire/Fighting and it's adorable, it should definitely be on this list!

Genesect - #30 for Unova is pretty bad for a mythical Pokémon of its status and calibre. It was beaten by the same 4 mentioned in the above bullet point, which is a little crazy to me. This thing used to be an easy top 10 for Unova.

Inkay - Inkay used to be more popular than Malamar, hence its inclusion as a PokéBall Pokémon in Super Smash Bros., yet it didn't rank at all this time while Malamar claimed #28.

Volcanion - The wait for Pokémon's first Fire/Water-Type was long and hype-building, but when we finally got it no one cared. It's a cool design and good in battle, too, it's just a victim of being the final Mythical Pokémon released in a generation over-saturated with mythicals. #VolcanionDeservedBetter

Ultra Beasts - Man, apparently this concept flopped. I'm a little unsure why Buzzwole is the only one to make the Top 30 for Alola -- I'd have wagered it'd be either Guzzlord or Kartana -- but either way I think that post-game exclusivity of UBs ultimately ruined their chances at popularity. Receiving 5 of them in each version at the same time in post-game made it difficult for each one to stand out individually despite all of them being really damn cool designs. Furthermore, there being 11 UBs in total makes it a really difficult spotlight to share -- there's a reason why previous legendary/mythical groups have been capped at 3 (or 4 in regards to the musketeers, but Keldeo was held until BW2).

Tapus - Tapu Koko is the only one to rank and pretty low, too. These were supposed to be the icons of the generation and that didn't really pan out.

Copperajah - I was honestly expecting to see Copperajah in the top 20, at least. It's the villainous team leader's ace with an awesome Gigantamax form and use in a cutscene prior to the battle with Bede. Add an awesome design on top of that, and I'm really unsure why popularity hasn't followed.

Impidimp - Another Pokémon who I'm surprised not to see here at all. It had a lot of hype before game release and was pushed by Game Freak a bit during that whole Ponyta-Galar livestream reveal. Grimmsnarl made the list instead despite the general reaction I'd seen being bewilderment and unpopularity surrounding its design upon its reveal.
----------------

Man this is a long post but I'm glad I noted my thoughts down. Overall this was pretty interesting in some unexpected ways. Cool poll.

Last edited:
Looking at the results, I think the format of the poll proved to be a bit dumb. So many extremely popular Kanto mons all competing against each other, while Greninja essentially ran unopposed for the Kalos slot. Obviously they wanted picks from every gen, which they would for sure not have gotten with a completely free ballot, but that ended up being unfair to Kanto IMO (never thought I'd say this lol).

As a big Bug type lover gen 5 has one of my fave dexes, but it painfully lacks a central shillmon to drive it forward in polls like this. I think the Unova mons on the list are all very universally loved by the fanbase, but they simply don't have the kind of fervent fanbase that is required to get the results. I wonder if Meloetta could have done it with a bigger push.

All the votes being shown alongside the Pokemon means we can show how the 240 pokemon faired against each other. Past 30, these aren't their true rankings, of course...there's too many gaps in numbers and there's very littler chance more than 600 pokemon got lower than Froakie.
But it's kind of fun to look at, I think

# Pokemon Votes
1 Greninja 140559
2 Lucario 102259
3 Mimikyuu 99077
4 Charizard 93968
5 Umbreon 67062
6 Sylveon 66029
7 Garchomp 61877
8 Rayquaza 60939
9 Gardevoir 60596
10 Gengar 60214
11 Dragapult 57973
12 Tyranitar 56834
13 Bulbasaur 56015
14 Toxtricity 55032
15 Lugia 53268
16 Rowlet 52367
17 Aegislash 51517
18 Chandelure 50943
19 Pikachu 48060
20 Eevee 47762
21 Luxray 46032
22 Decidueye 44011
23 Zoroark 43782
24 Lycanroc 42792
25 Corviknight 41711
26 Flygon 41420
27 Hydreigon 40054
28 Sceptile 38724
29 Blaziken 38307
30 Snom 38034
~31 Mudkip 36920
~32 Dragonite 36873
~33 Mew 36266
~34 Metagross 35621
~35 Typhlosion 35184
~36 Noibern 34795
~37 Scizor 34691
~38 Piplup 34680
~39 Mewtwo 34585
~40 Infernape 33267
~41 Ampharos 32009
~42 Zeraora 31691
~43 Alcremie 30612
~44 Darkrai 30544
~45 Goodra 30209
~46 Espeon 30052
~47 Incineroar 29925
~48 Arcanine 29795
~49 Jirachi 29611
~50 Cyndaquil 28332
~51 Milotic 28295
~52 Absol 27781
~53 Golisopod 26975
~54 Cinderace 26892
~55 Swampert 26540
~56 Suicune 26277
~57 Glaceon 26161
~58 Zacian 26158
~59 Primarina 25953
~60 Yamper 25695
~61 Salamence 24920
~62 Arceus 24502
~63 Aron 24389
~64 Volcarona 24389
~65 Lapras 23411
~66 Haxorus 22937
~67 Totodile 22526
~68 Talonflame 22328
~69 Serperior 22269
~70 Oshawott 21990
~71 Empoleon 21773
~72 Dedenne 21691
~73 Crobat 21548
~74 Zekrom 21477
~75 Furret 21447
~76 Giratina 21366
~77 Wooloo 21266
~78 Victini 20957
~79 Leafeon 20859
~80 Yveltal 20852
~81 Inteleon 20697
~82 Torterra 20632
~83 Celebi 20492
~84 Goomy 20299
~85 Sirfetch’d 20217
~86 Reshiram 20123
~87 Scorbunny 20058
~88 Snorlax 19768
~89 Krookodile 19628
~90 Ninetales 19044
~91 Tyrantrum 18778
~92 Hatterene 18581
~93 Chikorita 18521
~94 Squirtle 18476
~95 Ho-Oh 18278
~96 Ferligatr 18245
~97 Aggron 18120
~98 Whimiscott 17855
~99 Latias 17478
~100 Shaymin 17465
~101 Xerneas 17415
~102 Bewear 17181
~103 Sobble 17155
~104 Snivy 17020
~105 Altaria 16814
~106 Blastoise 16795
~107 Heracross 16577
~108 Solgaleo 16274
~109 Meltan 16077
~110 Falinks 16009
~111 Appletun 15989
~112 Natu 15699
~113 Eternatus 15699
~114 Pichu 15695
~115 Kyogre 15585
~116 Mawile 15523
~117 Zorua 14910
~118 Vaporeon 14887
~119 Buzzwole 14747
~120 Houndoom 14742
~121 Hawlucha 14607
~122 Scolipede 14536
~123 Muk 14358
~124 Pyukumuku 14358
~125 Dialga 14292
~126 Togepi 14288
~127 Gallade 14144
~128 Reuniclus 14129
~129 Staraptor 14054
~130 Charmander 14049
~131 Litten 14005
~132 Morpeko 13945
~133 Meloetta 13915
~134 Silvally 13897
~135 Ditto 13843
~136 Meowstic 13661
~137 Fenekin 13508
~138 Grookey 13478
~139 Togekiss 13426
~140 Vikavolt 13375
~141 Quagsire 13308
~142 Grimmsnarl 12923
~143 Salazzle 12863
~144 Breloom 12801
~145 Kommo-o 12790
~146 Gliscor 12676
~147 Zamazenta 12641
~148 Torchic 12568
~149 Latios 12487
~150 Slowpoke 12369
~151 Melmetal 12356
~152 Marshadow 12107
~153 Groudon 11982
~154 Zygarde 11943
~155 Centiskorch 11619
~156 Nidoking 11586
~157 Samurott 11444
~158 Dracovish 11436
~159 Lopunny 11411
~160 Excadrill 11376
~161 Porygon 11311
~162 Lilligant 11292
~163 Vulpix 11224
~164 Psyduck 11212
~165 Raichu 11196
~166 Pinsir 11162
~167 Litwick 11140
~168 Jolteon 11064
~169 Dragonair 11051
~170 Frosmoth 10988
~171 Rockruff 10986
~172 Bisharp 10975
~173 Bidoof 10924
~174 Diancie 10918
~175 Tsareena 10900
~176 Delphox 10889
~177 Turtwig 10865
~178 Weavile 10854
~179 Deoxys 10842
~180 Braixen 10807
~181 Grovyle 10746
~182 Banette 10579
~183 Venusaur 10454
~184 Articuno 10450
~185 Froslass 10408
~186 Entei 10404
~187 Espurr 10402
~188 Eiscue 10392
~189 Kyurem 10338
~190 Hoopa 10327
~191 Aurorus 10321
~192 Pancham 10187
~193 Quilava 10032
~194 Magnemite 9955
~195 Porygon2 9902
~196 Cinccino 9892
~197 Lunala 9887
~198 Dragalge 9882
~199 Emolga 9798
~200 Pachirisu 9694
~201 Rotom 9417
~202 Treecko 9339
~203 Wooper 9323
~204 Pumpkaboo 9162
~205 Roserade 9092
~206 Trevenant 9019
~207 Sableye 9012
~208 Keldeo 8915
~209 Lurantis 8889
~210 Pangoro 8859
~211 Mismagius 8833
~212 Jolktick 8796
~213 Minccino 8739
~214 Ludicolo 8708
~215 Obstagoon 8705
~216 Rillaboom 8625
~217 Togedemaru 8531
~218 Cramorant 8436
~219 Shinx 8373
~220 Phantump 8231
~221 Toxapex 8221
~222 Misdreavus 8156
~223 Shuckle 8129
~224 Tapu Koko 8090
~225 Golurk 8035
~226 Genesect 7905
~227 Mudsdale 7787
~228 Wobbuffet 7745
~229 Necrozma 7739
~230 Popplio 7542
~231 Cosmog 7515
~232 Kingdra 7418
~233 Munchlax 7289
~234 Ribombee 7126
~235 Porygon-Z 7040
~236 Shedinja 6703
~237 Malamar 6503
~238 Mightyena 6459
~239 Heliolisk 6386
~240 Froakie 6295

Volcanion - The wait for Pokémon's first Fire/Water-Type was long and hype-building, but when we finally got it no one cared. It's a cool design and good in battle, too, it's just a victim of being the final Mythical Pokémon released in a generation over-saturated with mythicals. #VolcanionDeservedBetter
Volcanion is not a cool design and it definitely didn't deserved better
I am outraged that Volcanion didn't in fact placed after Simisear, outraged I say!

Volcanion deserved worse
Volcanion always deserves worse

Last edited:
Something I'm surprised to see no-one point out is that despite being placed in their own category; for the results, Meltan and Melmetal were placed in Gen 8. They came 15th and 23rd there, respectively.

Something I'm surprised to see no-one point out is that despite being placed in their own category; for the results, Meltan and Melmetal were placed in Gen 8. They came 15th and 23rd there, respectively.
They were lumped with gen 8 despite being "etc" during the voting so it's not that surprising, is probably why

? That's what I said
You said you were surprised no one pointed it out

But it was pointed out back when the voting was going on, so it made sense that the pokemon group with gen 8 for voting was also grouped for the results. It's no one pointed it out again. It wouldn't make sense to be lumped with gen 8 for voting but then spun off into their own category for the results.

One more thing I find interesting enough to be pointed out: naturally, most starters have at least one evolutionary stage place in their region's top 30. There's some cases like Gen 4 and 7 where they're all very high and close; and Gen 3's are even right next to each other in the top 6 which I found super cool.

Every starter line is popular enough to place in their region's top 30... except Tepig and Chespin. Oof.

(also sort of interesting: of the ones that did place, Chikorita is the only one who doesn't have at least 2 of its line represented. On the flipside; Quilava, Grovyle and Braixen are the only mid-stage starters that placed, and so did their first and final stages; leaving their entire evolutionary lines in the top 30)

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Sigh... very disappointed at number 1 not being a reptile, and a canid being in this list.
By canid do you mean the fairy fox with skin ribbons, the glow-in-the-dark fox that sweats poison, or the bipedal jackal that's part steel and can shoot kamehamehas? (My point being is that all three aren't really that dog-like, at least not as much as say Garchomp is a shark, Charizard is a dragon, and Greninja is a frog).

I am honestly hugely surprised by some of this! I seriously thought Charizard was a lock for top 3, and to its credit it is the most popular Gen 1 mon, but I was not expecting there to be others that surpass it! Greninja still at #1... not bad. Below that there's also some surprises. I honestly didn't think Garchomp would make top 10.

Also intrigued that not a single Gen 8 mon made top 10. Maybe the designs just haven't had the time to marinate?
Not surprised Charizard didn't make Top 3. Maybe had GF not been overexposing it but I think the overuse of Charizard is finally getting it some backlash. Still my fave and is the #1 Kanto mon so I'm good with that.

Not surprised with Garchomp, not only is it one of the better pseudo Legendaries but it being the ace of one of the most popular Champions who used it to great effect surely painted a lot of peoples opinions on it.

I'm more surprised to see Gengar and Umbreon. Like, yes, I know their popular but not top 10 popular.

No Gen 8 isn't a surprise as its the newest + nostalgia guiding everyone's choice. Also I don't think Gen 8 really has a standout mon thus votes were probably wider spread.

I think I just about lost it when I saw Gardevoir
Remember, it was just recently added to the Humanshape Egg Group. :psysly:

- Of the top 5 Pokémon, three of them are playable in Smash Ultimate; including Greninja itself. Everything else on the list except Sylveon and Umbreon are also in the game either as spirits or as Poké Balls.
Another game to consider: Pokken. Gengar, Gardevoir, Garchomp, Charizard, & Lucario are all playable fighters.

Also anime to consider: Acerola's Gengar was part of the better Alola saga episodes, Hoopa movie had a Shiny Rayquaza which was cool to see, Cynthia's Garchomp is just as fearsome as it is in the games, Serena had a Sylveon as one of her main Showcase Pokemon, Ash's Charizard returning was a big surprise during the Unova saga, Jessie's Mimikyu was a ton of fun, Lucario was one of the few non-Legendary Pokemon to get a movie with it as the star, and Ash's Greninja was one of his most powerful Pokemon.

I am shocked how high Dragapult and Toxtricity are. And Chandelure is the most popular Gen 5 Pokémon!
Maybe a bit surprised with Dragapult, but it has a boon with being a pretty cool pseudo Legendary.

Toxtricity I'm not as, since they give you a Toxel as a gift Pokemon and has the unique Type combination of Electric/Poison, many probably added it to their team to just have those Types alone. And from there I think Toxtricity's design carried it the rest of the way with the form gimmick, awesome signature Ability and Move, and it's enjoyable rocker attitude. It was my vote.

As for Chandelure, it's also a fighter in Pokken. ;)

Show us the least popular pokemon, cowards
We must know if Simisear still reigns as king of the bottom.

And I'll stop here for right now. Over the weekend I'll give my further thoughts on the top 30 for overall and each gen.

Poor Gatr didn't even break the top 10 of Gen 2.....unacceptable (it should be the top above every other Pokemon, we all know this :). But I digress.)....But at least Dile represented. So that's good. I should've voted more for the best though.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Losers:
Gen V - Damn. It got fewer Pokémon into the top 30 then Gen VIII with only 3, which for a generation that introduced 150 new Pokémon really sucks. I like a lot of Gen V designs, but I think they lost their shot at iconography with all of the ill will surrounding Unova only including new Pokémon in their regional dex.
I wouldn't call that losing due to the nature of the vote. Everyone could vote once for each generation, meaning that if 1500 people are voting:
- 150 votes are given for each gen 2 Pokémon in average
- 100 votes only are given for each gen 5 Pokémon.

If there are so few Pokémon in the top from the 5th generation, it means that there are many Pokémon equally popular among them. There is no correlation with them not being popular at all.

Greninja winning "just" means that it is by far more popular than its fellow gen 6 companions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)