Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Ah-ha. I was wondering where I’d be able to talk about the Pokémon Presents video/stream. I’m not trying to hint at anything, but I do think it’s worth noting that since 2016, every time a winter showcase has happened on Pokémon Day (February 27th) specifically, we received the announcement of a new region. 2016 announced Alola, 2019 announced Galar, 2021 announced Hisui which TPC does consider its own region for marketing purposes, and 2022 announced Paldea. The Switch lineup’s tendency of region hopping as opposed to having two games in a row in the same region (DLC doesn’t count for this rule) leads me to believe that something in the main series for either late 2023 or early 2024 could be in a similar situation, but we’ll have to see.

As for side content… I feel much more confident in predicting what we’re going to see here. I wouldn’t exactly call this a lock just yet, but I can almost guarantee we’re going to be getting a PMD 2 remake on the Switch, presumably made in the same style as Rescue Team DX was. I would imagine a decent amount of the showcase (possibly upwards of 10 minutes) is spent talking about various mobile games, knowing how many there are, and while it’s very possible we could hear about Nintendo Switch Online games here, I wouldn’t expect to hear about every single game in one sitting, or one giant collection like everyone seems to be convinced we’re getting.

Ah-ha. I was wondering where I’d be able to talk about the Pokémon Presents video/stream. I’m not trying to hint at anything, but I do think it’s worth noting that since 2016, every time a winter showcase has happened on Pokémon Day (February 27th) specifically, we received the announcement of a new region. 2016 announced Alola, 2019 announced Galar, 2021 announced Hisui which TPC does consider its own region for marketing purposes, and 2022 announced Paldea. The Switch lineup’s tendency of region hopping as opposed to having two games in a row in the same region (DLC doesn’t count for this rule) leads me to believe that something in the main series for either late 2023 or early 2024 could be in a similar situation, but we’ll have to see.

As for side content… I feel much more confident in predicting what we’re going to see here. I wouldn’t exactly call this a lock just yet, but I can almost guarantee we’re going to be getting a PMD 2 remake on the Switch, presumably made in the same style as Rescue Team DX was. I would imagine a decent amount of the showcase (possibly upwards of 10 minutes) is spent talking about various mobile games, knowing how many there are, and while it’s very possible we could hear about Nintendo Switch Online games here, I wouldn’t expect to hear about every single game in one sitting, or one giant collection like everyone seems to be convinced we’re getting.
2020’s presents didn’t introduce a new game though. It was DLC for the prior release which was Sword and Shield. That’s what we’ll get this time, DLC for SV throughout 2023 and then something new in 2024 more than likely.

Although you are technically correct that each Pokémon Day presents gave us a new region, in 2020 the direct/presents was a month early. I don’t think this necessarily means anything as we know that SV DLC is coming.

of course they could give us both DLC and a new game but that would be far too much. I’m expecting a similar release pattern to 2020. Mystery Dungeon in April/May, SV DLC in August/September (if it’s two waves again then June/October again perhaps)

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
2020’s presents didn’t introduce a new game though. It was DLC for the prior release which was Sword and Shield. That’s what we’ll get this time, DLC for SV throughout 2023 and then something new in 2024 more than likely.

Although you are technically correct that each Pokémon Day presents gave us a new region, in 2020 the direct/presents was a month early. I don’t think this necessarily means anything as we know that SV DLC is coming.

of course they could give us both DLC and a new game but that would be far too much. I’m expecting a similar release pattern to 2020. Mystery Dungeon in April/May, SV DLC in August/September (if it’s two waves again then June/October again perhaps)
I’m not saying you’re right or wrong about DLC, but I will say that neither the Isle of Armor or the Crown Tundra was a new region, nor was it a returning region either. With this in mind, one of three things will happen:

1. Scarlet & Violet’s DLC will have a new and/or returning region involved (presumably Kalos if this happens)
2. We’re getting an announcement for a new Legends game on top of the DLC announcement
3. This pattern would be broken

In any case, they’ve shown time and time again they’re willing to break their own rules. No two generations have the same kind of release schedule, after all.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
1. Scarlet & Violet’s DLC will have a new and/or returning region involved (presumably Kalos if this happens)
Well, whether it's another region or expansion of Paldea, I feel pretty sure whatever it is it's going to be the giant landmass northeast of Paldea. I'm just curious if they're going to leave it as a giant cliffside or, if you have the DLC, it'll suddenly be a bit more mountain-ish (less extreme slope, ledges possibly even a winding path, cave entrances, etc).

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
Well, whether it's another region or expansion of Paldea, I feel pretty sure whatever it is it's going to be the giant landmass northeast of Paldea. I'm just curious if they're going to leave it as a giant cliffside or, if you have the DLC, it'll suddenly be a bit more mountain-ish (less extreme slope, ledges possibly even a winding path, cave entrances, etc).
The thing that confuses me is that, let’s say for whatever reason we are going back to Kalos for real. Just hear me out on this one. Ever since Sun & Moon and excluding remakes, we’ve gone from the old fashioned grid based overworld style to the more, quote, “open” style of Shigeru Ohmori’s games. I think what I’m trying to say here is that dedicated Kalos DLC would literally change how the game is played, since Paldea is not grid based.

With DLC focused on the mountainous area between the regions, you could still pass that area off as part of either Paldea or Kalos (kind of like how Mt. Silver is in Johto, come to think of it), the developers no longer have to worry about this and can try and make something new in the process.

I'm going with the bold assumption that any new DLC areas will be another section of the Crater (there's a hanger we never go into) or an off the coast island (perhaps both!)

The thing that confuses me is that, let’s say for whatever reason we are going back to Kalos for real. Just hear me out on this one. Ever since Sun & Moon and excluding remakes, we’ve gone from the old fashioned grid based overworld style to the more, quote, “open” style of Shigeru Ohmori’s games. I think what I’m trying to say here is that dedicated Kalos DLC would literally change how the game is played, since Paldea is not grid based.
Every region would need to be reimagined to fully accomodate full 3D exploration that SV has; even going back one region to Galar would require it because it was not designed that you could go everywhere and climb everything.

I feel most* people who say going back to Kalos don't necessarily mean "literally stapling a full secondary region as seen in another game", just something that calls back to it and offers some connective tissue.

*I realize I am being generous I once talked with someone after SWSH came out who was still going on about having every region in a game as DLC, fully realized. But nevertheless

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
By the way maybe you want some Carbs

(Unironically I'd take these over the random cooking ingredients any day)
I am ashamed of myself for not realizing sooner that "Carbos" is supposed to be short for "carbohydrates".

I should've realized it when Protein, a Vitamin that also gives stat EVs, is a macronutrient like carbs are.

Hm, interesting, it only depicts places from Gen I to VII:

Johto: Whirl Islands.
Hoenn: Soaring over Hoenn.
Sinnoh: Spear Pillar.
Unova: The Throne Room in N's Castle (post N's Dragon bursting a hole through the wall where the throne was).
Kalos: Legendary Room in Team Flare's Secret HQ.
Alola: Ultra Space Wilds (Rocky World).

Kanto: While the forest/grasslands could be any location from any game, since we don't have a location for Kanto I'm going to guess this is Viridian Forest.

While I can understand no Paldea, wonder why no Galar?
It's also worth noting that a lot of these are associated with legendary Pokemon in particular. Whirl Islands is associated with Lugia, soaring over Hoenn in ORAS is done by Latias/Latios, the Spear Pillar is associated with Dialga and Palkia, the throne room in N's castle is associated with Reshiram and Zekrom, the room in the secret Team Flare HQ is associated with Xerneas and Yveltal, and the Ultra Space in general is associated with all three of the light trio (Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma), especially Solgaleo and Lunala as you ride them in Ultra Space.

It seems there could be a strong focus on legendaries for this mini series.

I am ashamed of myself for not realizing sooner that "Carbos" is supposed to be short for "carbohydrates".

I should've realized it when Protein, a Vitamin that also gives stat EVs, is a macronutrient like carbs are.

It's also worth noting that a lot of these are associated with legendary Pokemon in particular. Whirl Islands is associated with Lugia, soaring over Hoenn in ORAS is done by Latias/Latios, the Spear Pillar is associated with Dialga and Palkia, the throne room in N's castle is associated with Reshiram and Zekrom, the room in the secret Team Flare HQ is associated with Xerneas and Yveltal, and the Ultra Space in general is associated with all three of the light trio (Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma), especially Solgaleo and Lunala as you ride them in Ultra Space.

It seems there could be a strong focus on legendaries for this mini series.
It's not a miniseries, it's a short.

I felt like going through all 12 previous Directs/Presents and categorizing everything by timestamp (roughly rounded to the nearest 30 seconds).
  • Grey: intro/outro/filler/non-game
  • Blue: main series new game (counting Expansion Passes)
  • Light blue: main series non-new game
  • Purple: connectivity apps
  • Green: Virtual Console/retro
  • Yellow: spin-off
  • Red: mobile
Excluding the giant 25th anniversary filler, this looks like it's going to be the longest Pokemon Day presentation, though it loses by ~20 seconds to the Direct in January 2020 that revealed Rescue Team DX and the SwSh Expansion Pass.

Overall I can't find any obvious pattern:
  • All Presents have had a mobile games section, but it ranges from 1 minute to 6 minutes (7 minutes when revealing new mobile games).
  • A new main series reveal has ranged all the way from 1 minute to 15 minutes.
  • The presentation that has revealed the most buyable games was the 8-minute Direct in June 2017. (Pokemon mobile games aren't buyable.)
Just thought of something that might actually qualify as a pattern (and make business sense):

Main series games that start a new generation are never revealed alongside other games. Main series games that don't start a new generation are always revealed alongside other games (with the sole exception of ORAS, which didn't get a presentation at all).
  • XY: got its own Direct.
  • SM: got its own Direct. (The surprise that RBY VC would be compatible with it isn't revealing a game.)
  • USUM: shared its Direct with Pokken DX and GS VC.
  • Let's Go: technically shared its press conference with SwSh before SwSh's name was revealed.
  • SwSh: got its own Direct.
  • SwSh DLC: shared its Direct with Rescue Team DX.
  • BDSP/LA: shared their Presents with each other.
  • SV: got its own Direct. (BDSP Oak's Letter and LA Daybreak update aren't revealing a game.)
If this pattern were to continue, we could expect this Presents to reveal more than one game. (Again, counting paid DLC as a game since it obviously substitutes the third versions of the past.)

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
In preparation for tomorrow’s Pokémon Presents, I wanted to briefly go over what all has and hasn’t been confirmed across the franchise, and organize them by how “likely”, so to speak, they are to show up here. I’m also going to be including a recap of January 2020’s Pokémon Direct in this post, since a lot of people seem to anticipate this being similar to how that one was handled.

January 2020 Direct Recap

Presentation runtime: Roughly 20 minutes

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX announced; releases March 6th, 2020

Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Expansion Pass announced; the Isle of Armor coming Summer 2020 and the Crown Tundra coming Fall 2020

All Currently Confirmed Pokémon News So Far

Pokémon GO Hoenn Tour recently concluded; new Seasonal Update coming in a few days; Season theme TBD

Pokémon Masters EX run-up to 3.5 years event currently ongoing; new sync pairs set to debut in March 2023

Zacian-Crowned is slated to be the next playable character for Pokémon Unite; release date TBD

Detective Pikachu movie sequel and game sequels both confirmed to “still be in active development”, per industry reports; release dates TBD

New Pokémon anime series set to release in Japan in March of 2023 with new protagonists and side characters; Paldean Pokémon heavily featured in new series

Currently Unconfirmed Pokèmon News From Leaks & Source Codes (less likely to be present overall)

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon announcement possible, per SPIKE Chunsoft copyright listing (1993-2023)

Pokémon Scarlet & Pokémon Violet DLC of some form speculated to release during 2023; heavily speculated to include a new Legendary Pokémon and feature currently inaccessible sections of Paldea

Pokémon Ruby & Pokémon Sapphire previously used during play testing for the Game Boy Advance application for Nintendo Switch Online (the application was later confirmed in February 2023’s Nintendo Direct; the game data is currently not present in the application’s source code from what I’m aware of)

Pokémon Sleep website domain discovered to reroute to the official Pokémon Presents page for 2.27.23; online domain validity TBD

Last edited:

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wanted to let ya normies know that Pokemon Sleep happened.

We can now die
ftfy.

So glad Pokemon Home connectivity still doesn’t have a set release date. Oh em gee a Suicune Paradox though I’m very much regretting not getting Scarlet….. DLC looks like fun tbh, and I’m gon get that Hisuian Zoroark. Woot woot.

No new game, and this time the DLC is one in 2 parts.

I am very surprised that Paradox Suicune / Virizion are going to be distributed via a event raid *soon tm*. We knew they existed but I was expecting them to be in the DLCs
Same, kinda - we know they were meant to be in the main game but were removed last minute, but I was expecting them to be featured in the DLC but I like this method better, makes it easier for players to get the other.

Lure and Friend Balls at the ready!

As for the DLC, I like the direction of it - seems very cool and fits in well with SV, looking forward to it.

EDIT: Although no PMD is quite shocking? I kinda thought it was a given considering the new trademark updates as well as.. a certain someone alluding to it.

No HOME release date is a bummer too.

So do you think those other 3 pokemon in the key art might be the "region"'s starter Pokemon>?
The live action segment had masks that line up with them but they seemed to be earlier stages to me. But those could also just be something cutsie versions of them I suppose.

So do you think those other 3 pokemon in the key art might be the "region"'s starter Pokemon>?
The live action segment had masks that line up with them but they seemed to be earlier stages to me. But those could also just be something cutsie versions of them I suppose.
Either the "starter", or plot relevant in some way. Thinking of Kubfu basically.

As for the DLC, I like the direction of it - seems very cool and fits in well with SV, looking forward to it.
I had the same thought, I like the way they are "integrated in lore", you're a student so... go do student exchange things.

Will be looking forward to the plotlines.

Also they did show a few returning pokemon for both DLCs, basically just confirming the model will be same as SwSh.
1677508744158.png

Ah can't wait to have a somewhat decent sun setter at least instead of one that's basically only functional in TR.

One thing that caught my eye tho is that this time they aren't making a "expansion pass" with 2 separate DLCs, but rather a single purchase with 2 separate part release.
I do wonder if they just saw that pretty much anyone who bought the SwSh DLCs bought both, or some different reason.

One thing that caught my eye tho is that this time they aren't making a "expansion pass" with 2 separate DLCs, but rather a single purchase with 2 separate part release.
I do wonder if they just saw that pretty much anyone who bought the SwSh DLCs bought both, or some different reason.
What do you mean? You couldn't buy Isle of Armor or Crown Tundra separately

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So as expected, SV is indeed getting DLC.

Its name is "The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero" and Part 1 is called "The Teal Mask" while Part 2 is called "The Indigo Disk".

One will involve another place called Kitakawa and the other part will have you will enrolled in a place called the Blueberry Academy.

What are you talking about, this was the case with SwSh too.

IoA and CT were not separate purchases: they were one expansion pass, it's just it started with only IoA first, and then the CT part was added later in the next patch. If you already bought the Expansion Pass ie Isle of Armor before Crown Tundra's release you got Crown Tundra automatically via the next patch.

This is the same situation.

The wording of them being new regions stood out to me too - for SWSH they made it very evident that they were just extensions of Galar whereas for Paldea they seem to be brand new Regions - are the DLCs going to be essentially mini-regions with more content or just islands? (I did think it odd how we didn't see like any in-game content at all, even with EP for Sword/Shield we had in-game screenshots and a lot of reference sheets)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)