Other Pokemon: Smogon Version OU [Route 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Even if it might not make sense as a long term strategy (some care would be required for it not to, even if the game ends at lv. 100), people are still going to steamroll the early portion of the game with an overlevelled team. Would you say this constitutes an enjoyable experience? There is no reason why this game can't be somewhat challenging from start to finish.

Sorry for slight delay here: Wrap up post will be coming in later today with our new topic of discussion starting tomorrow. Stay tuned for the next exciting update! :D

I have a proposal about gyms. I believe we should implement a required coil rank or elo as a pre-requisite to challenge gyms.

I have a proposal about gyms. I believe we should implement a required coil rank or elo as a pre-requisite to challenge gyms.
We really, really don't want to link this to PS in any way. The purpose of this game is to teach new players how to be competitive, whereas an ELO min would imply that they were already competitive, which, while still allowed to enjoy the game, are not part of our target audience.

Not to mention that that would basically require internet connection and a whole slew of logistical problems that we simply do not have the resources to address. Even if there may never be a Smogmon game, we want to design this game with the idea that it could be an actual game, implementable by any group of folks that have the time to do so.

a fairy

I’ll be at PAX East! Will you?
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
That's more or less putting massive parts of our game behind 'play-walls' which is a bad idea. Let alone the coding nightmare that'd come from it.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
How the hell are you going to add all the pokemon + have enough memory? I have experience with romhacks and that alone is going to be a dificult feat.

I'll help out and go into a lot more things when I get my computer back fr repairs.

How the hell are you going to add all the pokemon + have enough memory? I have experience with romhacks and that alone is going to be a dificult feat.
Probably MrDS rom base and JPAN's engine (which clears up some space), along with palates via Turtleye's sources. Though its not going too well at the moment (since MrDS messes with most tools and I don't have much experience with hex or any with ASM) If you want to help out with actually making it hmu.

Route 1 Discussion is closed!

Here is the run down of what the community has likened so far. As per usual with our updates, you can find a short link with posts of the ideas that made up the first route following the large paragraph of info seen here immediately afterwards.

First off, the first route pokemon have been determined. While some suggestions we approved of very much (Shroomish in particular), we felt as if we could hold of on a few till the forest section, as some fit better in that area and also made some logical sense. Here are the first route Pokemon:

Standard Grass:
-Fletchling (c)
-Bunnelby (c)

Wild Grass:
-Starly (c)
-Eevee (c)
-Azurril (u)

Standard keys of (c) = Common with (u) = uncommon.

The route design was once more designed by our fancy spriter who really should quit his day job when we will be capable of paying him. Route can be seen here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...ute-1-discussion.3510993/page-16#post-5601349

Alongside doing some spriting for the “simpleton rival” seen here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...ute-1-discussion.3510993/page-14#post-5588210

For the route itself, we seemed to have a plethora of ideas concerning NPCs and many of them seemed genuinely great. A few seemed better fit for later as by adding them it seemed as if we would be cramming a rather large amount exposition into the first route compared to others. Among these NPCs who we will be implementing but not in this route include our helpful STAB adviser and IV duo. Of the NPCs who made the cut, we have the Resident guy who thinks you've never guess how to capture a Pokemon before and the berry hoarder. The Capture teacher wont actually teach you, and his dialogue is best captured in the post related to him made by Cataclyptic here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...ute-1-discussion.3510993/page-14#post-5589484 with him giving you the PokeBalls after the whole silly thing is over while the berry hoarder will be slightly neutered early and will be of greater help after being the many gyms of SmogSmog region to access his precious berry reserves.

On this route we will find the first battle with the simpleton, who will be triumphantly charge into battle with his electric rodent. Along the way, of the route, you will not find a single TM, but a move tutor that shall grant upon you the mighty Stealth Rock, which will be re-learnable. Will you be able to use it well this early? No! But later? Yes!

Sorry for the sloppiness of the links and the delay in getting this out. As we both said, it was a slightly busy week, and we are just glad yall were patient enough. What exciting ideas will come on the next section we wonder? *does silly noises*

Last edited by a moderator:

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, so Salemance might make further improvements to the organization of the route 1 posts later, but we'll move onto the discussion of the first town!

In this town there are:
-Nursery
-Explanation guy who explains stuff
(Among stuff to be explained is all the basic town info on pokecenters, computer, market, etc., but also IVs as well as IV rating and nursery reporting/management tools in the computer-- the computer will have the ability to manage Pokes in/out of the nursery as well as withdraw eggs, and also have an IV rating system, perhaps linked to IV raters? These things need storyline explanation)
-1 Trade

For the trade, I'll nominate Imposter Ditto as the pokemon you receive. This bypasses the issue of the traded pokemon having a nature that doesn't fit with the set you want to run, and Ditto also fits the bill as something that's uncommon (both in game and in competitive play), but useful in the right sort of team. The pokemon that you need to trade for it could be anything that's caught a bit later on in the game.

For the trade, I'll nominate Imposter Ditto as the pokemon you receive. This bypasses the issue of the traded pokemon having a nature that doesn't fit with the set you want to run, and Ditto also fits the bill as something that's uncommon (both in game and in competitive play), but useful in the right sort of team. The pokemon that you need to trade for it could be anything that's caught a bit later on in the game.
I like this one. It can also be used for advertising the Day Care Center. Maybe he can say something like:

"Hey, if you're going to be a good trainer, you're going to need to breed your Pokemon that you catch to create the optimal Pokemon for battling. It's the way the Gym Leaders and Elite Four get their Pokemon. I used to be a breeder for the gym leaders, but now I got a wife and kids and I decided that instead of roaming the region trying to find the perfect parents for Pokemon I decided to become a perfect parent to my kids. Speaking of that, my youngest daughter REALLY wants a female Azurill but I'm too busy at home to get one. If you can get me one, I'll trade you the perfect Imposter Ditto that I used to use for breeding."

The female part is so that there could be some tiny extra work involved, but we can substitute Azurill for any Pokemon found in the game. The Imposter Ditto will have perfect stats and thus will be useful for breeding as well as for using in battle.

I like this one. It can also be used for advertising the Day Care Center. Maybe he can say something like:

"Hey, if you're going to be a good trainer, you're going to need to breed your Pokemon that you catch to create the optimal Pokemon for battling. It's the way the Gym Leaders and Elite Four get their Pokemon. I used to be a breeder for the gym leaders, but now I got a wife and kids and I decided that instead of roaming the region trying to find the perfect parents for Pokemon I decided to become a perfect parent to my kids. Speaking of that, my youngest daughter REALLY wants a female Azurill but I'm too busy at home to get one. If you can get me one, I'll trade you the perfect Imposter Ditto that I used to use for breeding."

The female part is so that there could be some tiny extra work involved, but we can substitute Azurill for any Pokemon found in the game. The Imposter Ditto will have perfect stats and thus will be useful for breeding as well as for using in battle.
I really, really like this. Ditto is one of the most stat independent mons in the game, making him the perfect EV sponge. Yeah yeah I know that people like to invest in his hp and run min speed and all that, but for in game purposes, you can pretty much slap all the random EVs you want on it and it'll be none the worse for it.

On a separate note I kind of dislike the idea of making the SR move tutor in route one for the simple reason that nothing can even learn the darn move yet!(except the almighty golett) There's also the slight issue of most early trainers only having one or two mons, making SR really situational at best and downright useless at worst.

On a funny side note, since the day care is accessible so early, you could feasibly make a competitive golett if you really want that SR user.

NPC Proposal

For the person who explains/checks IVs, there NEEDS to be alternate text upon showing him a perfect IV Rattata.

"Oh my word! I...dare I say it? I could swear that this Rattata is within the top percentage of Rattatas!"

In that vein, you could use a Gentleman sprite (or a derivation of it) as the IV checker, and give him particularly dapper quotes, as will be detailed in the spoiler.

Each quote starts with: "Your Pokemon has [0 - 31] [stat] IVs..." and follows up with the quote if the certain benchmark is met.
HP IVs::
0 IV - "Oh dear, this Pokemon is simply too frail! That can't be healthy..."
31 IV - "Ah, such a healthy complexion! This young one will weather many battles for you!"

Attack IVs::
0 IV - "Young trainer, how resourceful of you to minimize Foul Play's damage! Unless, that was not your aim..."
31 IV - "Such muscular fortitude! May your partner forever strike harder than its foes!"

Defense IVs::
0 IV - "I cannot foresee your partner enjoying physical blows, young trainer..."
31 IV - "Ah...how would the kids your age say it...'dat bulk?' "

Special Attack IVs::
0 IV - "Perhaps I can understand if Special Attacks are not your goal, but still..."
31 IV - "Such mental fortitude! May its attacks instill more fear than the mightiest of Psystrikes!"

Special Defense IVs::
0 IV - "Your partner will shy away from attacks of the mind, young trainer..."
31 IV - "Concentration of this sort is a rare sight, young trainer. I dare say it will serve you well."

Speed IVs::
0 IV - "Ah, it has been many years since I have seen those willing to use Trick Room! That was your intention, right?"
31 IV - "Such fleetness of foot! May you forever confound and outperform your adversaries!"

Otherwise for any IV within the range of::
1-10 IV: "Hm...your partner is not very well-off in this stat..."
11-20 IV: "Not bad, not bad, but are you truly okay with this?"
21-30 IV: "Quite a powerful stat here! Perhaps you are aiming to use the move Hidden Power?"

Last edited:
Just found this thread
And I thought Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 was the only game the writers intended to be bad =/
lol you never heard of Big Rigs or Desert Bus?

Back on topic, will the Day care be on this town? if yes can I suggest the breeding safari? If you don't know what it is:

I didn't read the last 2 pages, so srry if i'm saying shit.
I suggest a "breeding safari", where you can get all mons you need to breed egg moves that aren't OU viable, so we don't have to put shit mons on the routes. If it's too much pokemons we can split the safari into different areas, like desert, plains, lakes...
Inside the safari we could have a NPC saying: "Pokemon on this safari are for breeding, and ONLY for for breeding. Don't dare using this pokemon on your team."
This could be on the same city as day care

For the person who explains/checks IVs, there NEEDS to be alternate text upon showing him a perfect IV Rattata.

"Oh my word! I...dare I say it? I could swear that this Rattata is within the top percentage of Rattatas!"

In that vein, you could use a Gentleman sprite (or a derivation of it) as the IV checker, and give him particularly dapper quotes, as will be detailed in the spoiler.

Each quote starts with: "Your Pokemon has [0 - 31] [stat] IVs..." and follows up with the quote if the certain benchmark is met.
HP IVs::
0 IV - "Oh dear, this Pokemon is simply too frail! That can't be healthy..."
31 IV - "Ah, such a healthy complexion! This young one will weather many battles for you!"
Attack IVs::
0 IV - "Young trainer, how resourceful of you to minimize Foul Play's damage! Unless, that was not your aim..."
31 IV - "Such muscular fortitude! May your partner forever strike harder than its foes!"

Defense IVs::
0 IV - "I cannot foresee your partner enjoying physical blows, young trainer..."
31 IV - "Ah...how would the kids your age say it...'dat bulk?' "

Special Attack IVs::
0 IV - "Perhaps I can understand if Special Attacks are not your goal, but still..."
31 IV - "Such mental fortitude! May its attacks instill more fear than the mightiest of Psystrikes!"

Special Defense IVs::
0 IV - "Your partner will shy away from attacks of the mind, young trainer..."
31 IV - "Concentration of this sort is a rare sight, young trainer. I dare say it will server you well."

Speed IVs::
0 IV - "Ah, it has been many years since I have seen those willing to use Trick Room! That was your intention, right?"
31 IV - "Such fleetness of foot! May you forever confound and outperform your adversaries!"

Otherwise for any IV withing the range of::
1-10 IV: "Hm...your partner is not very well-off in this stat..."
11-20 IV: "Not bad, not bad, but are you truly okay with this?"
21-30 IV: "Quite a powerful stat here! Perhaps you are aiming to use the move Hidden Power?"
I love this suggestion and the comments you gave.

Also, along with the IV rater, can we also put someone who determines the Hidden Power type in the daycare along with explaining what Hidden Power is and what IV's are needed for a particular type? Maybe someone with a Psychic sprite.

The Imposter Ditto will have perfect stats and thus will be useful for breeding as well as for using in battle.
In competitive battling, Ditto generally has IVs for HP Ice or Fire which are not perfect IVs. I think you should be able to get both an Imposter Ditto with a good Hidden Power type, and a Limber Ditto with perfect IVs designed strictly for breeding.

I wouldn't mind adding the STAB gys and IV people in the poke center, but how would we go bout the naming scheme of the region?

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
I'm not sure if anybody actually said we pokemon you will have to trade for to get the Ditto. I'm thinking a Marill, we have already confirmed its pre evolution is going in, its something your probably not going to get very early on in the game but in the late early to mid game you should have it, balancing it out quite nicely

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
There should probably be an AI who can change your Pokemon's nature and IV values, just saying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
I personally think we shouldn't have a Pokemon center and instead just have the Nursery and the Pokemart together just so we dont confuse players. The former is because Pokemon centers are going to be redundant since Pokemon heal to full after battle anyways and the latter is to prevent confusion to newer players and just for convenience sake.

Last edited:

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
lol you never heard of Big Rigs or Desert Bus?

Back on topic, will the Day care be on this town? if yes can I suggest the breeding safari? If you don't know what it is:
later

And please, remember people that both the nursery and the IV checking will be accessible by computer (so from any town in the future too)

Its pretty much decided that where Modifying HGSS since all the artwork was basically done with their tiles. Plus it's not 100% if this is going to be a real game but if it is we will just be wasting time on the areas if we dont use HGSS for that

Also, I personally think we shouldn't have a Pokemon center and instead just have the Nursery and the Pokemart together just so we dont confuse players. The former is because Pokemon centers are going to be redundant since Pokemon heal to full after battle anyways and the latter is to prevent confusion to newer players and just for convenience sake.
Don't spread WRONG information... Pokemon will NOT heal automatically after battle...

in-fact, it was explicitly stated earlier in the threat that Poke Centers and healing items will all have their place in healing over long trecks.

Also, NO DISCUSSION OF ROM HACKS IN THE THREAD

needs to be private discussion-- if you want to talk to the people talking about it, private message me to add you to the chat...

Last edited:
later

And please, remember people that both the nursery and the IV checking will be accessible by computer (so from any town in the future too)
Why don't we make the IV checking entirely on the computer then? No need to waste an NPC on that then. Maybe the PC could also contain an EV checker.

I guess having an entirely online Nursery might be a bit weird though. Also, did you decide what your policy would be on the full heal after battle? I wasn't sure if that was definite.

Edit: Although I do like the idea that the Nursery is run by an old man and a woman (as usual) whose Psychic twin children are able to measure the IV's and the EV's respectively thanks to their natural interaction with tons of pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)