SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword and Shield Datamine Thread

So while seeking out an image for Kurona in the news thread, I found all the icons have been ripped (see here: https://www.spriters-resource.com/nintendo_switch/pokemonhome/ )
There's a couple interesting things in here. Nothing like...shattering, like the TM/TR lists, but interesting.

So G-Max pokemon are displayed with their official artwork. Not sure why, maybe the models are just too high quality to adequately render? Either way, this lead to an interesting byproduct from also wanting to reference their shiny versions: OFficial shiny recolors of all g-max artwork. Pokemon very very rarely provides official artwork of Shiny Pokemon and when they do it's generally in different poses or special splash artwork. DrPumpkinz corrected me, these ARE still renders. Should have looked harder
Other fun (?) notes: Appletun & Flapple don't get separate copies of their G-Max artwork, same with Toxtricity; seems obvious but these games love redundancy so I wouldn't have been surprised if there were duplicates. All G-maxes also get placed before the pokemon in question.
I compiled them here if you'd like to see https://imgur.com/a/uCvc06c

There's even a Shiny Eternamax Eternatus

I just figured it would always be standard colors, so it's neat they bothered with this. I guess you'd be able to see it in-game if they ever release a Shiny Eternatus and use Eternabeam?

There's an egg icon, despite eggs not being allowed in Bank so far as I'm aware

Cap Pikachu aren't posed according to their artwork, which you can see here https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pikachu_in_a_cap
Instead they all just have this pose. It is different from the standard Pikachu pose, at least.
Also? No shiny versions. Bit surprised at that, I figured there'd at least be place holders.
Darmanitan's Zen Modes also just use a neutral posing rather than based on its official artwork.

Speaking of place holders, Pikachu & Eevee have their standard versions repeated. Pikachu has a pair after the Cap pikachu in particular. Male/Female, Normal/Shiny. Not bothering showing them because they're the exact same as their standard renders. I think these might be placeholders for the Partner Pikachu/Eevee even though you can't send them to Home & aren't present in the data for SWSH.

If you're curious, there is no placeholder for the special unevolving Meowth, Cosplay Pikachu, or Spiky Eared Pichu

Earlier (either this thread or elsewhere) I posted tweets of Eternal Floette in Home and how it didn't have a render, though it does have a model for its standard & shiny forms in Mobile. At first I thought the symbol was just a generic placeholder and it'd use that if a model took too long to load, or just a spare "null" thing for debugging but surprisingly this non-render is specifically labeled for the eternal floette 'poke_capture_0670_005_fo_n_00000000_f_n"
And there is no shiny placeholder. Maybe a last minute cut from Home?

If a Pokemon has gender differences, but it's only visisble from behind, they made a separate set of back renders so you can view them. At first I thought this was unused, but turns out nope! Just a subtle little feature, you can view them by clicking the right stick if you have the pokemon in question. Yes this includes viewing Torchic from behind to see the single dot. It is very silly.
Oddly Garchomp doesn't get this despite covering up its gender differences partially due to its posing.

Last edited:
So G-Max pokemon are displayed with their official artwork. Not sure why, maybe the models are just too high quality to adequately render? Either way, this lead to an interesting byproduct from also wanting to reference their shiny versions: OFficial shiny recolors of all g-max artwork. Pokemon very very rarely provides official artwork of Shiny Pokemon and when they do it's generally in different poses or special splash artwork.
Other fun (?) notes: Appletun & Flapple don't get separate copies of their G-Max artwork, same with Toxtricity; seems obvious but these games love redundancy so I wouldn't have been surprised if there were duplicates. All G-maxes also get placed before the pokemon in question.
I compiled them here if you'd like to see https://imgur.com/a/uCvc06c
They actually do seem to be renders. It's just hard to notice because they have unique lighting to emulate the official art.

poke_capture_0006_000_mf_g_00000000_f_n.png

his is pretty interesting in a "What was once lost" sort of way

One of the dataminers found an alternate Jynx cry in Home's data, which matches the type of reverb found on Megas.

He brings up the possiblity of using it as a galaraian jynx (or perhaps an alolan jynx, if we assume this is an older, scrapped cry), but most galar forms share the same exact cry iirc. A scrapped mega feels more possible to me; wouyldn't even be the first time an XY left over made it years into the future, there's prototype screenshots buried in SWSH from XY, at a point where it was still using BW placeholder ui elements.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
A scrapped mega feels more possible to me; wouyldn't even be the first time an XY left over made it years into the future, there's prototype screenshots buried in SWSH from XY, at a point where it was still using BW placeholder ui elements.
Are these prototype screenshots available anywhere to look at?

Just about everyone got their move tutor/tm/egg move list carried over, and just about everyone that can learn TMs got Swift & Endure added. But "only" 326 Pokemon got something other than the 2 every-mon ones.

Which is theoretically notable, but still much more than most "200+" estimates we're throwing around even if you cut out some others like mythics and such. At this point I'd say it's more likely we just got an in-progress list of them slowly updating all the pokemon for future purposes, though it's always possible that pack 1 comes out and has many more pokemon than expected.

It's best not to take any datamine as confirmation of anything right now; GF does have a history of programming shit in but then never releasing it or outright retconning it later (rest in peace stag chandy). For all you may know GF may never release the Dratini line for all of gen 8
Considering the power of Dynamax, I can definitely see why they didnt add it and Salamence in with the other pseudoes; two of the best max moves as stabs with terrifying abilities to boot. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't show up till much later, like maybe the crowned tundra?

Considering the power of Dynamax, I can definitely see why they didnt add it and Salamence in with the other pseudoes; two of the best max moves as stabs with terrifying abilities to boot. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't show up till much later, like maybe the crowned tundra?
Gyarados’cough’exists’cough’ with those same traits.

Gyarados’cough’exists’cough’ with those same traits.
He definitely does not. He has amazing traits, to be sure, but Gyarados aint doing so hot in VGC either. Dragonite has Multiscale on top of Dynamax and Max Airstream, giving a terrifying bulk that Gyarados cant compare too. And Intimidate is one time, Dragonite can use it up to 3 times. Remember, VGC is the format we care about. Salamence has intimidate on top of that as well, they are leagues above gyarados in versatility.

He definitely does not. He has amazing traits, to be sure, but Gyarados aint doing so hot in VGC either. Dragonite has Multiscale on top of Dynamax and Max Airstream, giving a terrifying bulk that Gyarados cant compare too. And Intimidate is one time, Dragonite can use it up to 3 times. Remember, VGC is the format we care about. Salamence has intimidate on top of that as well, they are leagues above gyarados in versatility.
You're really overthinking it.

It's unlikely they choose who to put in or not based on "power".

Incineroar was in the game files right away despite its over 80% presence in gen 7 series (eclipsing even the ubers), absurd monsters like Volcarona are already confirmed, and remember, we're getting *all legendaries* and it doesn't take a 1800 elo player to know what Xerneas is doing in Ubers with access to Dynamax. And that's just the first that came off my head.

(side note, Gyarados usually uses Moxie when intended to be used as Dynamax sweeper, not Intimidate. It turns almost all of its Max Airs in >130 BP dragon dances. Same would likely apply for Salamence)

You're really overthinking it.

It's unlikely they choose who to put in or not based on "power".

Incineroar was in the game files right away despite its over 80% presence in gen 7 series (eclipsing even the ubers), absurd monsters like Volcarona are already confirmed, and remember, we're getting *all legendaries* and it doesn't take a 1800 elo player to know what Xerneas is doing in Ubers with access to Dynamax. And that's just the first that came off my head.

(side note, Gyarados usually uses Moxie when intended to be used as Dynamax sweeper, not Intimidate. It turns almost all of its Max Airs in >130 BP dragon dances. Same would likely apply for Salamence)
Volcorona and the other monsters are coming in a full year after release, after several vgc formats of gradually adding pokemon. Despite incineroar being in the files, Intimidate was nerfed by several abilities and was only allowed after 3 whole metagames have passed. I wouldn't be surprised if his time in the sun has gone when you combone dynamax and other gigantimax pokemon in the mix.

Volcorona and the other monsters are coming in a full year after release, after several vgc formats of gradually adding pokemon. Despite incineroar being in the files, Intimidate was nerfed by several abilities and was only allowed after 3 whole metagames have passed. I wouldn't be surprised if his time in the sun has gone when you combone dynamax and other gigantimax pokemon in the mix.
You should check the number of viable pokemon that have those intimidate-nerfing abilities (spoilers, it's 0)

Yes Incineroar is likely not going to be *as* overbearing as it was in gen 7, but likey still going to remain a top tier pokemon (which also got Parting Shot and Close Combat this generation).

Look, I don't want to be a dream killer, but GameFreaks has proven time and time again that they aren't capable of creating balanced metas. You can check last Oceania championship, and might notice how except one team (the one which won, ironically, that uses a composition that was popular before the current meta), they're almost all identical.

It's impossible to tell what the reason to include or exclude a pokemon from the initial 400, the 35 and the coming 200+, but whichever it is, I can guarantee you "balance" is not one of them.

You should check the number of viable pokemon that have those intimidate-nerfing abilities (spoilers, it's 0)

Yes Incineroar is likely not going to be *as* overbearing as it was in gen 7, but likey still going to remain a top tier pokemon (which also got Parting Shot and Close Combat this generation).

Look, I don't want to be a dream killer, but GameFreaks has proven time and time again that they aren't capable of creating balanced metas. You can check last Oceania championship, and might notice how except one team (the one which won, ironically, that uses a composition that was popular before the current meta), they're almost all identical.

It's impossible to tell what the reason to include or exclude a pokemon from the initial 400, the 35 and the coming 200+, but whichever it is, I can guarantee you "balance" is not one of them.
And yet if you look st all the other tournaments and placers you can see a diverse number of strategies and pokemon used. This isnt the era of CHALK anymore, if you want to use something like Gourgeiest, you can make it work.

I'm just saying that Gamefreak has said they were putting a lot of focus and care into competitive battling, and its showing. Not just through drip feeding availability to keep each metagame fresh but also not just dropping the most powerful and broken stuff right out of the gate. By time the Crowned Tundra comes out, it will likely be time for the less restricted format, where the legends start running around and all that good fun nonsense. But saying GF has no balance when vgc is the healthiest its been by a large margin is suspect at best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)