Post your searing hot takes

i think he's talking about screwdrivers
That's correct. Torx (six-pointed star) and Robertson (square) both have the same purpose of being really hard for the screw to leave the driver accidentally. Robertson is less well-known internationally because Ford wanted to use Phillips to make cars instead (to prevent screwing in too far, and also to make it harder for owners to open up and fix their own cars). Torx can theoretically be used on Hex (hexagon, Alan key) screws and this is the main reason I hear saying it's better than Robertson. I think that's too bogged down by both sets (Torx and Hex) having too many different standards and that you're more likely to have a Hex driver than a Torx anyway.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
As lame as they are sometimes I really don't blame Sega in the slightest for their Sonic character mandates. If I owned a beloved franchise and someone like Ken Penders came in and did the kind of shit he did you better believe I'd be consumed by paranoia at how my characters are depicted as well

p0ip0le

it's a billion lions
twice's better was their best title track this year and theyve never released a bad song in japanese (ie originals; excluding stuff translated from korean to japanese)

in descending order (and excluding b-sides)
> better (nov)
> fanfare (july)
> more&more (june)
> i can't stop me (oct)

2019 was a way better year for not only twice (fancy and feel special one after the other hi) but kpop in general-- 2020 releases have been kinda disappointing (excluding dreamcatcher and gfriend) though ig thats in part due to the pandemic

Redditors who brag that they are more sophisticated than people who use Twitter and Facebook are just as obnoxious as those people but even more cowardly since they are venting out their opinion on a site where most people will likely agree to their opinion.

Redditors who brag that they are more sophisticated than people who use Twitter and Facebook are just as obnoxious as those people but even more cowardly since they are venting out their opinion on a site where most people will likely agree to their opinion.
I feel like you could replace Reddit, Facebook, and Twitter with any three websites and it would still apply.

my brother has turned into a "tiktok bad reddit good" type and he looks at r/pewdiepiesubmissions, r/memes, r/funny etc often

he's 11. pray for my soul
I think his soul is the one that needs saving. See if you can get him to frequent something wholesome like r/cats, r/aww, or r/eyebleach

I just got irrationally angry about a video explaining the concept of angular momentum. Every freaking time it's gone over, I hear the same analogy with a figure skater. Not only is there a lack of new material, it's not even that useful. What makes you think that the kind of people whose idea of entertainment is watching science youtube know details about figure skating? If I didn't know this already, I'd have gotten a better feel for it from just showing the equation. At least the "rubber sheet" thing for general relativity makes a safer assumption that the audience has all played with elastics at least once.

I just got irrationally angry about a video explaining the concept of angular momentum. Every freaking time it's gone over, I hear the same analogy with a figure skater. Not only is there a lack of new material, it's not even that useful. What makes you think that the kind of people whose idea of entertainment is watching science youtube know details about figure skating? If I didn't know this already, I'd have gotten a better feel for it from just showing the equation. At least the "rubber sheet" thing for general relativity makes a safer assumption that the audience has all played with elastics at least once.
Even if you don't know anything about figure skating, I'm pretty sure everyone has at some point spun around and then pulled in their arms. That's just like a thing people do as kids.

Combining different tiles to make land masses (like making grass in a custom minecraft map with green concrete and wool combined with grass blocks, or mario maker levels that have ground composed of both ground and hard blocks) looks insanely ugly and I don't know how this became a thing.

-Lighter cartoons are somewhat more enjoyable than the borderline cliche subverted innocence / cerebus syndrome stuff. Not every show needs to have a tragic backstory or have some gritty twist. As such, Barman: The Brave and the Bold is one of my favorite shows for how unrestrained it is.
Agreed, and the contrary can also apply. Some shows cannot handle well the cerebus syndrome, looking at you Star vs the Forces of Evil. Although dissing on the show isn't a hot take anymore after that bogus ending (this show as a whole disappointed more than anything the Pokemon franchise ever did, I know that says a lot...).

Related to cartoons, I say modern cartoons are definitely growing strong nowadays: Infinity Train, The Owl House, Amphibia, Glitch Techs, Hilda, Bojack, etc. Problem is that people tend to focus on the negatives to say "modern cartoon bad", saying all reboots suck like Thundercats Roar or PPG, while we have been getting some great ones like Ducktales, Shera, and most recently, Animaniacs.

As for some my Pokemon hot takes:
-Incineroar best starter, Alola and Hoenn have overall my fav stater trios
-Typhlosion worst starter, give us Dynabear you cowards

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
speaking of reboots (does this count as a reboot?):

teen titans go is good.

not as good as the original, not expected to please fans of the original, and not deserving the ridiculous slot coverage it gets, but still good.

at least 3 out of 5 chars show just enough personality depth to be interesting, and the show uses this consistent & decent group in clever and inventive ways. that's a good foundation, it's what spongebob does after all (even 1-4)

there's plenty of kiddy "haha x is inherently funny", but its very often supplemented with actual effort, and the "inherently funny" things are often original and not farts or whatever. (also what spongebob does, even 1-4. not trying to say ttg = 1-4 spongebob, just showing structural competency)

examples: raven leg day and dance for your bees. "leg day" and "bees are money and they sting you" are both "haha inherently funny" things. but not only are they original things, but both episodes develop the spotlight characters in natural and believable ways. ttg raven's usually pretty passive but can be a competent leader in something everyone else neglects? ttg beast boy is an inconsiderate but well-meaning ditz, but when he suddenly gets leverage he lives in the moment to shit on people? but his well-meaningness eventually shines through? this is natural and believable situation-based development.

why am i lauding teen titans go beast boy characterization at midnight. do not worry, i know he normally sucks. that episode is an exception though

speaking of reboots (does this count as a reboot?):

teen titans go is good.

not as good as the original, not expected to please fans of the original, and not deserving the ridiculous slot coverage it gets, but still good.
I think TTG counts as a spinoff. Although I am not a fan of the show because of the humor and tactics they employ, it still shows great effort when it comes to the specials and the theatrical movie, and I can't bring myself to hate it. I'm not even nostalgic for the 2003 show, liked it but not to a huge extent, so I find the 'old vs new' debate pretty pointless and ridiculous.

Last edited:
I guess on the topic of cartoons, it annoys me when people act like there's some fundamental difference between anime and cartoons. They're all just cartoons. Same thing with manga and comic books.

Every time I hear people talk about "their favorite anime" I just wonder why they're limiting the discussion to cartoons from specifically Japan.

I guess on the topic of cartoons, it annoys me when people act like there's some fundamental difference between anime and cartoons. They're all just cartoons. Same thing with manga and comic books.

Every time I hear people talk about "their favorite anime" I just wonder why they're limiting the discussion to cartoons from specifically Japan.
there's a pretty big shift in mentality from how cartoons are treated from the west to the east, that effects everything about them itself, such as long term story arcs which are generally more common and developed in anime (western animation arcs tend to be the exception)
obviously there's stuff that is similar on both ends and its pretty arbitrary
i don't know the media landscape that well but if i think of anime i think of a different thing than western cartoons

Last edited:

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Harry Potter is the most overrated fictional series ever and it blows my mind how many people are obsessed with it. The main character is boring and bland as fuck, with no impressive qualities and a fuckton of undeserved inherited "greatness". Harry isn't smart like Hermoine, or fun/charismatic like Ron and his brothers. Harry is the epitome of middle class white privilege. "You can be amazing even if you are average, so long as you have successful parents and have everything literally handed to you on a plate". People are acting like the "he was actually a good guy!" trope is original. So Snape was actually a decent bloke who hated/loved Harry because he simped over his mother? lol. Half-Blood Prince is the best book, Order of the Phoenix is the worst.

Disclaimer: I haven't read the series since I was 11 so memory may be shaky. I compared it to a lot of other British, and even Japanese, fiction that I read at the time and found it to be the least interesting. British fiction aimed at kids/teens seem to always have projection characters as main protagonists, whereas Japanese fiction aimed at the same demographic tends to take time to develop and establish the main protagonist(s) (or at least default to some archetype of character).

TL;DR Harry Potter is just a less interesting Naruto with white privilege.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)