Rarely Used (RU) Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
My check to Yanmega is Regice, thing is a beast in the SpD department and can carry T-wave/Toxic for the switch in(I usually T-Wave as its a fast Fire type coming in.

I'm loving RU right now :)

Regice isn't a very recognized counter because of its Stealth Rock weakness and generally horrid defensive typing, as well as its lack of recovery outside of Rest. It really hampers that otherwise-impenetrable Sp. Defense.

Since Regice is a special wall, its weaknesses to Steel, Rock and Fighting don't really matter in this context. Not to mention Fighting and Steel attacks are seldom used in the tier at all. I wouldn't say its typing is terrible, especially considering its amazing stats, ability to Psych Up against Calm Minders and use Frost Breath, etc.

I've been using (read here: demolishing everything with) Choice Specs, Tinted Lens Yanmega. The only things I have encountered that can really take a hit are Munchlax and Mantyke.

Regice gets 2HKOed with rocks up but even with rocks and spikes Mantyke (obviously, immune to spikes) and Munchlax RARELY get 3HKOed and iirc both can carry t-wave for mega-crippling (pun intended) purposes.

The only thing working against either of them is reliance on Rest for adequate recovery. I haven't tried them out on a team of my own yet because the hyper-offense is still working for me but I would certainly suggest either of them over Regice, because everyone knows Legendary Golem-creature < Newborn Baby.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
If you guys are looking for a unique SpecsMega check, Probopass is pretty cool. He's basically immune to all of Yanmega's attacks, bar HP Ground, and can set up Stealth Rock, T-wave shit, and then Explode when he's about dead.

EDIT: This is the set I was running:

name: Support
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Thunder Wave
move 3: Power Gem
move 4: Earth Power / Explosion / Magnet Rise
item: Leftovers
nature: Calm(?)
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

Probably not as good as Munchlax, but probably better than lolMantyke.

Also, yes I'm sorry you guys have to suffer with this broken shit for so long. As was pointed out before, we won't have a sub-forum until the end of round 5/3. Hopefully we will be able to start suspect testing then too.

As far as the priority list for the site goes, RU is pretty far down the list. So, just enjoy pwning shit with Yanmega, Venomoth, and Cresselia for the time being.

I want to get into this tier but its just ugh right now with Yanmega and co. running around. It looks like it could be really great.

How is Metagross's little cousin Gigalith doing in RU? I played him as a lead, and he is pretty good IMO. Amazing defense and attack, rocks will always go up from sturdy, and if against a physical hitter he can utilize EQ/Rock attack to hit hard after. Explosion for suicide as well.

Isn't Gigalith Golem's brother?
Anyway, don't know I guess that it can work in this tier :I

And for broken stuff, I don't have problems with Yanmega at all, yeah it's broken and shit but I still have a lot of fun in this tier, it's good to take a breath from the carbon copy teams in OU for a while, Cresselia is annoying but since she's a defensive threat is not that bad, and my team is kinda "immune" to her, so yeah, our only hope is to wait that people in UU start using Cresselia, Yanmega and friends more...or we can invade UU and use them a lot

is mantine that bad? i mean its supposed to be skarmorys counterpart.... with good typing and good bulk, i can see it doing some walling. i feel bad for the ray. i mean skarmory is top OU and matine is...bottom Ru

is mantine that bad? i mean its supposed to be skarmorys counterpart.... with good typing and good bulk, i can see it doing some walling. i feel bad for the ray. i mean skarmory is top OU and matine is...bottom Ru
Mantine can't wall as effectively as eviolite Mantyke (which isn't saying too much imo), it can't phaze, and it can't set up entry hazards. There's also a significant amount of other bulky water pokemon that just do more/better things.

And thanks Oglemi for the time estimate.

And toast. :toast:

Lol oglemi I've used that probopass set for weeks. It's main advantages over munchlax and friends is that is can ohko with an uninvested power gem. And to those of you who are saying "nope hp ground lol", probopass takes 77.8% - 92.6% damage from specs yanmega hp ground.

Edit: although I usually use earth power as my fourth move, I've had some success with pain split too.

Modest Choice Specs Porygon-Z is...amazing. It murders everything in the tier. Even Munchlax. All Munchlax can do is hope for the paralysis or phaze it out because he gets 3HKO'd. (Body Slam doesn't even 2HKO Porygon-Z...)

The best part is Porygon-Z is less of a glass cannon then a lot of pokemon, CB Entei's extremespeed does a little over 50% so priority isn't the best way to kill it. It's fairly easy to revenge but countering without playing around it's moves is it extremely hard.

Also I tried out Bulky Subkrow with Subsitute, Brave Bird, Sucker Punch and Roost and it's really effective. It doesn't need Night Slash since it'll usually be behind a subsitute and it's not like they can try and status you...

I haven't seen as much Yanmega on the ladder as usual, strangely. And Cressilia is no where to be found... same as Venomoth. o3o

I'm personally digging Belly Drum + ExtremeSpeed Linoone right now. With a good prediction you get off an easy +6 and easily sweep through the opposing team. I'm sitting at a nice ranking of 27 thanks mostly to Linoone and Bulk Up Gallade :3

I'm personally digging Belly Drum + ExtremeSpeed Linoone right now. With a good prediction you get off an easy +6 and easily sweep through the opposing team. I'm sitting at a nice ranking of 27 thanks mostly to Linoone and Bulk Up Gallade :3
I know what you mean. I personally run a Block + Yawn Slowpoke to get that crucial turn of setup. It's too bad Salac's illegal, though :/

@Dragon Tamer Chris: If you think Modest Specsgon-Z is amazing, you should see just the kind of shit an Agility set can tear up.

I don't like agility porygon-z, it's hard for him to set up and he needs the okay bulk he has to survive other attacks. Plus if you give him LO he dies too fast and if you give him some other item he doesn't have the raw power. While Specs just has to predict if there are rock, steel or ghost types on the opponents team and otherwise he can just come on whatever he is faster and then just use Tri Attack.

I use this set, which is really an experiment to get around the Life Orb recoil.

Modest / Expert Belt / Download
- Agility
- Hidden Power Fighting
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
4 Defense / 252 Sp. Attack / 252 Speed

Expert Belt provides a 20% boost to super-effective attacks, so the moves are selected to nab a lot of super-effective coverage in RU. Since Tri Attack's super-effective against NOTHING, I decided to forgo it. I think there could be a better Hidden Power or something, though. Suggestions?

HP Fighting's actually the best option, although if you are THAT paranoid of Sheddy I guess you could run Shadow Ball instead...

It's dumb that P-Z doesn't get Focus Miss though...

Personally, I've been spamming the scarfers in this tier. Typhlosion's Eruption can either KO or 2 hit KO the opponent. The 2 KO is usually against walls that switch in, thinking that they can wall Ty. Krookodile is my second one and he is something else. With a little bit of prediction (and writing down your opponents mons so you know what move you should use) he can sweep an entire team by crunching them.

I've been playing around with some new stuff, so it's hype time!

Charizard @ Life Orb
Solar Power
Timid 4/0/0/252/0/252
- Fire Blast
- SolarBeam
- HP Ground
- Sunny Day

Man oh man does this thing go off like a nuke. It can't really get past Munchlax but it tears apart a lot of stuff. I just wish Roost was legal so I didn't feel too compelled to run Rapid Spin support with this, but oh well.

And here's another interesting sweeper:

Dragonair @ Eviolite
Shed Skin
Careful 248/0/8/0/252/0
- Outrage / Dragon Tail
- Dragon Dance
- Rest
- Sleep Talk / Dragon Tail

Dragon Dances up and doesn't afraid of anything. I personally use Outrage / DD / Restalk, but Dragon Tail is awesome with a buttload of hazards, especially if you use it over Outrage and can use it with regular priority with Sleep Talk.

Doesn't Vulpix get Drought?? Why'd you want to put in Sunny Day on Charizard if you can just put in a Vulpix for endless sun?
Also, that gives you an instant counter to any teams with other weather-inducing Pokemon such as Snover and Hippopotas...
Another thing to mention: Life Orb does 1/10th HP damage to Charizard each turn... except the turn you use Sunny Day. Solar Power does 1/8th damage per turn in Sun. So... from the abilities and items alone... Charizard will die in... 7 turns. That allows for 5 attacks and 2 uses of Sunny Day. Also, if anything outspeeds Charizard, and has even a weaker Rock-type attack such as Rock Slide, your fire dragon's dead.
However, I do like the Dragonair idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)