Reflecting on BW and Looking Ahead to Gen VI - SEE POST #508

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think Gamefreak will slowly try to make Pokemon battles like the anime style.

the Pokémon itself have an Accuracy and Evasion Stat, and in-battle, if the Attack lands or not will be defined by those stats taking account the speed on it
I like that evasion and accuracy stat. But the only problem with that is Pokemon with lower Base stat in speed will have a lower chance of evading moves and faster Pokemon will have a higher chance of evading slower Pokemon's moves.

What they could do is make evasion to certain moves like Ice Beam, Fire Blast and Thunderbolt. You can have the Pokemon's evasion stat to be able to duck on the Ice Beam, jump through the fire on Fire Blast, or roll away from the Thunderbolt.

The back system was redid if I recall correctly. Which is why it was not compatible. Not to mention, tons of people were pissed you couldn't get your pokemon from gen 1 and 2. Every friend I have had that quit, had quit at that point. I even didn't play ruby and sapphire because of that. It would piss way to many people off for them to reboot it. I know for a fact, I am done if they do that. Not to mention, there is zero reason for them not to allow backwards compatibility.
Also ev's were added iirc so any gen 1/2 level 100s would be useless

The back system was redid if I recall correctly. Which is why it was not compatible. Not to mention, tons of people were pissed you couldn't get your pokemon from gen 1 and 2. Every friend I have had that quit, had quit at that point. I even didn't play ruby and sapphire because of that. It would piss way to many people off for them to reboot it. I know for a fact, I am done if they do that. Not to mention, there is zero reason for them not to allow backwards compatibility.
And still Ruby and Sapphire selled almost the same as Gold and Silver (and the combo with the remakes selled almost the double) while the GBA was a lot less selled console than the GB/GBC, so, I don't think Game Freak really mind about the "drop on sales" of less than the 0,1%, people that loves Pokémon still play Pokémon games. Nothing will ever reach to the maximum sells from the first generation, anyway, not even the combined sells of BW and BW2 (but they are near, anyway), the GB was an excesive wide spread console.

Also ev's were added iirc so any gen 1/2 level 100s would be useless
EV's always existed, but they weren't a cap of 512 for the total spread, so, you can reach to the "252" (a clone system with higher number was) on each stat, it could be easily resolved by just limiting the EV's at passing, or detrain your stats to keep to the maximum allowed, not a hard task, actually. All the systems were compatible as they can be totally interpreted to the new system without any trouble, anyway. The "oh noes, my stats were changing!" dilema was already solved on the second generation with the special split by just... well, explaining, that's simple.

Compatibility was a possible, but Nintendo just prefered to reboot it from the start, and leave the firsts two generations alone with it's bugs, glitches and stuff.

ATTN

So this thread has kinda gotten a little derailed / terrible in the past few pages so here are some reminders:
  • No one liners, or "yeah that's cool" posts. Always have some content and contribute to the discussion at hand or help foster new discussion. This is not a pc++ thread.
  • This thread is strictly competitive, anything flavor or in game related belongs in the orange islands thread.
  • Keep speculating to a minimum, this means refrain from discussing huge mechanic changes or changes to already existing concepts.
  • That said, proposing new concepts that already fit into what we have is fine, provided you explain why you think it would help create a positive metagame. Saying you want something because it would be cool or because you want your favorite pokemon to get better is really not what we're looking for.

Remember those things when posting. This thread should pick up in terms of quality and produce some better discussions then the ones that have been developing. Thanks.

Just for know, my post about the possible retooling to the Critical Hit system counts as a positive and productive post to the thread or not? Because I just seen the Gen's I Critical-Hit system, and later the differents buffs/debuffs to the system, so I think that's not a impossible thing to happen or much less and I think that could help a bit to balance at some degree the metagame, for a good bunch of Pokémon, and make viable some other options.

Anyway, who think could be the best answer to the Lucky Chant move (or possible ability)? I think 20 turns duration could be more than enough to make it a viable move.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm curious as to which Pokemon currently OU this gen will fall from it in Gen 6. It'd be interesting to know. (Maybe Gastrodon or Duggy, but who knows?)

Also, I'm sure the OU meta will still remain offensive. If weather stays around Gen 6 OU may just continue being "The Weather Wars: Generation VI". Also, Stall really needs something. Ferrothorn was a nice addition but even he is not enough to save stall from being full time viable. And needs more spinners, 'cause to be honest most of them are pretty frail.

I really want hail to give something like a buff to Defense. That would make papa tree more viable than ever. Also, I wanna see some of those DW mons come out here.

I want LR Zapdos, pls.

Maybe adding a few more weathers might balance everything, as strange as this sounds. Right now the weathers don't do much to balance each other because the massive type advantage water has and its better boosting effects and abusers. If there were like 3-5 other weathers there could be multiple weathers on each team and the monopoly one weather has would be lessened. This could include a cloud nine "weather" and a weather that strictly boosts type, like night time boosting ghost and dark moves. With enough of these it would be tough for one weather to dominate like now.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The only thing we need to nerf weather in 6th gen is a Pokemon able to switch into Politoed with decent stats for OU and the new ability that permanently removes weather. Any Grass, Dragon, or Water type would be ok really.

And i am sure that GF realizes that that it is the time to finally make that damn weather-removing ability that they should have done already. I am sure that they take competitive battling into consideration a bit, and they surely know how dominant rain is currently, so gives us Weather Cancel already!

Game Freaks does care about the competitive scenary, actually, as they were always watching, saving, analyizing and stuff each match of each official tournament, at least the best players, evidence? Pokémon Stadium 1 (JP) had only to being used Pokémon who were used by the tournaments competitors on Japan, and the challenges from Stadium 1 and 2 makes a fantastic use of team building of those generation using almost the best of the best. Later, the Emerald's extras and stuff have a strong focus on competitive battling and advanced strategy to overcome problems, and at some degree, the same is applied on Pokémon Colosseum and XD using from basic to advanced doubles tactics. And taking in account the best NPC's tend to have strongs synergys and good plans to work of (from part of the team building, like VoltTurning, BoltBeaming, and stuff), then they do care and take competition and efficency into consideration, they also take the high IV's, EV's spread and stuff into consideration, too, as they are specific and well distribuited on the NPC's of likes of Battle Tower and stuff. They created the clauses, too, as they needed to being created, like the Sleep, Species clause (created because a team of 6 Chansey winned the first tourney), and stuff.

I prefer a move that can remove and prevent weather for few moves than a Pokémon with a ability to remove it, why? Because it could make the weather-less teams overcentralized on those few Pokémon with the ability (and only considering if it's widespread enough), so, it's better a move that can remove weather and block it for at least few turns (better if those are 5-8 turns).

A weather-removing move wouldn't really be too good unless a team had a lot of trouble with a very common weather, and would have trouble competing with hail for removing weather if it's only temporary. Aside from that, it would just give the opponent a free turn and prevent you from using another (likely more useful) move in the moveslot.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I disagree that a weather-removing item would completely neuter weather. It would just mean that weather users would have to play more carefully with their weather starter. The longer the anti-weather hides their weather-remover, the longer the weather user has the advantage (gets to play with weather up). Once a Pokemon reveals itself to have a weather removing item, then it's just the same old weather war. Anti-weather just gets a leg up by being able to get creative with weather removers, and it would also allow abilities like Dry Skin/Water Absorb/Flash Fire to come into play.

But it can be good enough mantain on check and control the weathers, as blocking it for few turns gives you enough time to make them struggle, it is much pretty much the war of hazard setters vs rapid spinners vs spinblockers, anyway, a lead with a move like that can resist some things can be good enough to check weather strategys.

Wanted to spam Drizzle + Swift Swimmers? Nope, Clear Skys used! Now you'll struggle to abusse of your strategy for at least few turns, and you'll be forced to switch-in your weather setter again, making the turn you losed to being re-winned. Exception? If a move like Clear Skyes blocks the weathers for few turns, then it gives you a momentum against weathers teams, and if it's wide spread enough then it could make a good number of tactics around it, making more troubles to weather, and making viable without need of Ubers Pokémon or Dragon Zone the weather-less style play again.

Now the unique way to revert a weather is by just using other weather setter, and if we take into consideration that the weather-casters are really few, then it's really overcentralizing the game around them, and if you don't choose now to use a weather-caster, then your opponent will have an eternal adventage unless you carry a counter for each weather on the game, or just the now silly weather moves to revert it (and at the difference of my idea, those move can't block weather of being insta summonned again, not giving you any momentum).

If you add to the mix a Clear Skye rock that increse the duration of block from 5 to 8 turns, then it could really struggle weather-based teams as they will be forced to spam low accuracy thunders and hurricanes, and make to ajust to the power drop using Hydro Pump on place of Surf always, and stuff.

You're losing a turn using the move, but your opponent will also lose a turn to re-setup it later with it's caster, and it can't even do that as long Clear Sky or something like that is on effect.

It will not directly debuff weather, but it will buff weather-less, and also make for weathers team with not type-adventage a way to win or balance the weather war.

Easily removing weather is not simply a good buff for the metagame, solarbeam, which is already a shaky move to use, would become completely unviable. Not sure how to solve the issue though except if solarbeam became a 1 turn move EXCEPT when raining.

Rain abusers also don't mind weather change/removal as much, particularly keldeo.

I read my way through this entire thread during the past few days, and well, I noticed a few things. I start with the small things mentioned, and end with the bigger ones, in this post which is obviously going to be huge.

Also, it's worth to note that this post is based more on NU experience than on OU experience, which I don't have. It is also a bit of a wishlist, and feel free to (dis)agree.

- Rock type attacks being not accurate: I agree here. Power Gem could use a base power increase, to 95, I think. Rock Slide should have perfect accuracy as well.

- No viable, accurate, special fighting type attack, and Aura Sphere has poor distribution:
I agree here as well, but the only Pokémon I can see having Aura Sphere which does not currently have it, is Gardevoir.
Focus Blast should be a 85% accuracy move with 100 base power.

- Stealth Rock nerf: Agreed. Halving the damage it deals would be nice. The only issue is Volcarona here, but more accurate Rock-typed attacks would alleviate this problem.

- Stealth Rocks of another type, especially grass: Grass could work. Sap Sipper mons could be used to absorb them and nab an attack boost, which is quite interesting, and things like Volcarona or Leavanny aren't bothered by them at all. Electric type rocks could also work with two types being immune to them, one absorbing them, and very few things 4× weak to them.
On the other hand, certain Pokémon being stripped of more than half of their health on a switch in, looks like a no-no. Fire type rocks are especially a no-go. Just imagine an Ice-Bug type switching in with both Rocks and Fire up.

- Pikachu: A single post was written about the rodent, but it should be noticed this rodent gets buffed every generation. I think the best buff for the rodent is to buff his signature move, Volt Tackle. Pika hates the recoil, so removing it would be fine. Pika would also enjoy Extremespeed being a level-up move so it has less legality issues and can be used alongside Volt Tackle. In order to kick Pika into OU, it needs higher base stats, which won't happen.

- Levitate, double abilities: If it was up to me, Levitate would no longer be an ability, but end up being a setting which can be set to "yes" or "no" on a Pokémon, freeing the current levitators to get a new ability. It would also help Glalie, Magnezone, Castform and the myriad of Psychic types in the game of which most commonly levitate in the anime (Gardevoir, Alakazam, etc). The same would go for Forecast, Thick Fat, Immunity and Heatproof, Limber, Vital Spirit and Imsomnia, which look like natural abilities of a Pokémon to me because of its features, no matter what. Question is where this ends though, as it can be said for many abilities, so I would do it only for abilities which affect the type/status chart while having no other effect (like Lightning Rod or Water Absorb).

- New Evolutions or prevolutions, stat changes: Hm. Skarmory can use a prevolution as it was designed alongside Mantine. A prevolution could work, an Evolution wouldn't be a good idea.
Other Pokémon, especially those at the bottom of NU, could potentially use an evolution, or movepool additions.

Pokémon which are weaker, could probably carry pre-set moves which don't take up any of the four moveslots, so a Pokémon can have more than four moves. This could raise them a tier, or make them more useful in the tier they currently reside in.

- Stall being not viable anymore: I won't comment on this if it comes to the OU metagame, as I barely played OU, but even in the lower tiers many teams are offensive, and very few games I played went on beyond turn fifty.
Removing one weakness or adding a resistance to most types could help a bit though. Removing Toxic from TM-status could also be helpful, as long as it is given to a few dedicated stallers, preferably Poison-types, in the next generation. Why would Ampharos (to give a random example) have access to Toxic anyway?
I would initially avoid new typings, just add a few resistances here and there. Some can be pretty obvious.
Why do Bug- and Ice-types not resist Water?
Should Ice really be weak to both Fighting and Rock?
Why do Bug- and Electric-types not resist Dark (or, in the latter case, why isn't it outright immune?)?
Why do Ice- and Rock-types not resist Dragon?
Why does Rock not resist Electric?
Can Bug-types lose out on their Rock weakness?
Can Poison gain a Ghost resistance?
And so on.

A Light-typing, like suggested before, to make an opposite of Dark, is not a good idea, since it would be redundant, as we already have it. It is named Fighting.
In Japanese, the Dark Type is called the Evil type, and not Dark.

The only new typing I am willing to talk about though is a Crystal typing, especially as only very few currently existing Pokémon can be potentially classed with that typing, namely Boldore, Gigalith and Glalie. This type could resist everything bar Psychic and Electric, and should be immune to Poison status, and except for Power Gem, there isn't any currently existing move that can be possibly classified with this type, leaving a whole host of options open for the creators of a Pokémon game.

- Weather being OP: Agreed. It is why I play NU. No weather to take care of, and being forced to use Rain Dance, Sunny Day, Hail or Sandstorm to get your weather in effect. Hail could use a buff though, for example boosting the defence of Ice-typed Pokémon.

The auto-weather abilities should last a set amount of turns/minutes (if battling becomes more anime-like in the future), or being removed from the game completely.

Dang, this post was long.

GF could have dual abilities in that a poke could have a natural ability, like you mentioned Aasgier, and a special one from DW or from breeding.

Dark types need a 100+ base power move both physical and special. Not sure of this would effect the Meta, but new volt-turn moves for psychic, flying, water and/or normal would kind of be neat, but at the same time, turn battles into dance numbers, where 3-4 of your pokes have the option. Trapping via AT/ST/MP would become much more difficult.

On talk of Focus Blast: Most every other 120 BP special attack of each type has either better accuracy (Fire Blast, Hydro Pump), a higher chance for a secondary effect/a weather to use it with perfect accuracy (Thunder and Hurricane have a 30% chance for their secondary effect + perfect accuracy in rain, Blizzard has a freeze chance and is Ice-typing + perfect accuracy in hail), or has other stipulations that are required for efficient use (SolarBeam requires sun for one-turn usage).

Focus Blast is the only one that 1) Has 70 Acc but cannot be made more accurate through unrelated means (boosting accuracy through Hone Claws etc. would be "related"), and 2) Does not have some Jesus secondary effect, such as paralysis, confusion, or freeze. It SORELY needs either a fantastic secondary effect with at least a 30% chance of it happening (20% for a SpDef drop? Yeah, this is only useful for Sheer Force Landorus) or an accuracy buff WITHOUT a power drop.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Am I allowed to write long posts that nobody is going to read?

Anyway, I've seen loads of people want "more accurate/Special Rock moves" or "Grass type Stealth Rock". However, few seem to take into account that each Pokémon type has a certain "theme" to it. Of course, with there being loads of Pokémon of every type, there will always be exceptions to the norm, but as a general rule of thumb, there are some characteristics that can be applied to most Pokémon of every type:

Rock types are rugged, heavy types. They lean heavily to the physical side, fighting their enemies with raw strength, and taking hits like the boulders they usually are. They are also rather simple-minded and slow, preferring power over reliability. Rock Pokémon use moves with high power and low accuracy (most of which involve throwing boulders).

Water types are plentiful and a diverse group. Their stats are overall very rounded out, not leaning heavily one way or the other. Seeing as water is everywhere in several different shapes in the Pokémon world, there will be very many different Water types too. This is reflecting the rich aquatic life found on Earth. Water fits everything, sort of. Note that comparatively few Water moves have any side effects.

Electric types are a cool bunch. They use electricity to defeat their opponents, and they are found mostly in forests and urban areas. Electric Pokémon focus mainly on two things: Speed and offense. Their offense might be contact-based or involve arcs of lightning, either way they hurt. Electric Pokémon are also fond abusers of the Paralysis status.

Grass
types thrive in sunlight. Their moves often fall into one of three categories: Those focused on energy (nutrients from the ground/the enemies), those focused on the herbal properties of plants, and those focused on slashing their opponents with sharp leaves. Note how most Grass Pokémon use weather to their advantage.

Poison types work best when they don't face their enemies on even terms. Very few Poison Pokémon can do very well in an open fight, so they use nasty techniques to disadvantage their foes. Their moves don't have much base power, but their stings are still deadly. Poison moves focus on weakening the foe gradually, letting them fall over time or become easy targets for stronger allied 'mons.

Psychic Pokémon are similar to Poison, in the sense that they work to turn the conditions of the battle to their advantage. But rather than crippling their enemies, they buff themselves. Using mindpower to overcome their foes, Psychic Pokémon are almost always better in the Special department than the Physical. Damage-dealing Psychic moves usually focus on hurting the enemy without touching them.

Fire types are very often offensive, but can't take hits very well. Their strategies focus on hitting the targets with all-consuming flames, perhaps crippling them in the process, and pray that they won't be able to retaliate. While their moves aren't always that accurate, they sure wreak havoc once they connect.

Ground types are similar to Rock types in that they are a slow, physical bunch. But Ground 'mons don't hit as hard or reckless as Rock types. Ground moves are reliable, but not all that powerful (except for that one move...), though they are usually backed by a high offensive stat. Ground Pokémon aren't unstoppable forces, but they are certainly hard to avoid. Slow and steady does the trick for Ground types.

Flying types are... well... complementary. Flying Pokémon have no defining characteristic on their own, seeing as for flying to occur, you have to have something that flies. That something is a very diverse group of Pokémon of (nearly) all types. Flying-type moves are usually about using the aerial capabilities of the Pokémon to attack, coming from above and hitting in surprise. Beaks, wings or the force of the latter beating, are used to strike the foe. Many Flying Pokémon underperform a little on the defensive scale. After all, they have to be somewhat light to fly. In the end, Flying types are usually another type first and foremost and Flying second.

Bug types are usually annoying little critters. They come early in the games, and with a few exceptions they are among the weakest of Pokémon. Bug types help you fill out a team early in the game, but most of them will quickly be outperformed by stronger Pokémon you come across later. That being said, those that aren't totally mediocre are usually awesome, hitting hard or taking one hell of a beating before they go down. Bug moves are riddled with secondary effects, making up for their usually lackustre power.

Normal Pokémon make up a very large number of mammals. Normal types are usually quite okay, but rarely very good. They have a huge amount of talents, but don't stand out in any of them. Their impressive list of moves have secondary effects all over the place. Jacks of all trades but the master of none, Normal types will rarely disappoint, they adapt to any environment, can be found almost anywhere and fill any role on your team, but they are usually outclassed by something else.

Ghost types are a sinister bunch. Like Poison Pokémon, they seek to cripple their enemies, but their methods are even more refined, their arsenal of crippling moves even bigger. Ghost moves are weak power-wise, but their secondary effects will have enemies crying before long. They can lower almost any stat and hand out almost any status, and their moves will always hit. You can stand against their power, but sooner or later you have to submit to their secondary effects.

Fighting Pokémon are, with only a handful of exceptions, all humanoid. Two arms, two legs, and a sky-high Attack stat. They hit hard, reliable, and where it hurts. Overwhelmingly Physical, Fighting types battle the simple way: appendage meeting body.

Steel types stand out in one area: Defense. Oh, and weight, I guess. Steel types are late-game Pokémon, because battling them requires a certain knowledge about the type chart. As a general rule, your attack will be not-very-effective against a Steel Pokémon. Luckily for you, few of them can hit you very hard back either (but seriously, watch out for those who can). Pure Steel Pokémon are very rare, and apart from that high Defense Steel types are actually a very diverse bunch with many different characteristics. Dual-types will usually have the characteristics of their other type turned up to eleven.

Ice types are also very diverse, with balanced stats and filling many roles. However, they all have one thing in common: These Pokémon only reside in extreme conditions. Apart from urban Vanillish, you have to go far out in the wilderness to find an Ice Pokémon. And once you catch it, you've got yourself a... well... depends, really. Ice types are rather mediocre as a general rule. Elusive, yet frail and not particularly hard-hitting. Their redeeming factor is that their moves hit many types super-effectively. They are also the only type to stand against Hail, and they may induce the dreaded Freeze status.

Dark types are sly and cunning. They are frail and fare poorly in open combat, but when the odds favor them they break stuff. Dark type moves are weak until the conditions are right. While they have no moves with a base power over 100, some of their other moves reach terrible power if the opponent has made a poor choice. Combined with the usually high Attack stat sported by Dark Pokémon, that move might cost them a Pokémon. Dark Pokémon are truly dangerous if they can exploit their opponent (or just have luck on their side), but in an open field, they are usually rather mediocre.

Dragon
types were saved for last, for a reason. While all the other types have their quirks, their pros and cons, the Dragons are the cream of the crop. Truly dangerous endgame Pokémon, they are hard to train but immensely powerful once raised properly. Dragons are meant to be the "infinity plus one sword", the reward you get for winning the game. With Dragons on your side, you will plow through stuff. Dragon moves are powerful and resisted by almost nothing, and that "almost nothing" is taken care of by other moves in their immense movepools. Dragons might seem overpowered, but that's also meant to be the case.

In short, the types ARE different. With a few exceptions here and there. Not every type can get powerful attacking moves with good accuracy, because those moves don't fit their flavour. Though, I'd expect those patterns to be broken gradually in the future as more and more Pokémon are introduced of every type.

Can... Can we sticky Cobraroll's post somewhere? Maybe above the type-chart? Because that was fucking beautiful. And dear god you linked TVTropes. Can I have your babies?

I think it's a pretty OK description of each type, but I could rather to notice that the Electric Pokémon whatever of two partners: they can be fast and that's all, or they can be hard-hitters but slow (Magneton), as the combination of fast and powerful electric almost not exist.

I could also make clear that the Fire Type is not really something "purely offensive" or even of "offensive nature" as they are one of types with the more number of resistances (with only 3 weakness) in the game, most of them have Magma's related abilities to burn their target, and all of their attacks are made to burn soon or later, crippling more the enemy offense. Also, their stats tend to be all the time excesive balanced, without any high at all, as they are made to attack and take hits at the same time, bulky attackers from both sides, a sort of jack of all trades, master of none, but they tend to be more on the offensive just because the Water Type was been dominant on each generation with a huge distance, and Earthquake is somewhat common, so, their strengths on defensive are usually dropped on higher tiers, but they are really bulky and resistants on lower tiers. Or well, it was in that way before Stealth Rock, curse it.

Also about Ice and rebembering from each generation, they were REALLY cool on the first generation, and even some of them cool on future generations, as STAB Blizzard hits almost whatever thing hard as hell, those are Pokémon you find almost ending the game with the best offensive type of the game, and they are the unique true Dragon Killers from the Pokéworld, a power who can sherd to 100 pieces any Dragon not named Kingdra and to hit Super Effective to a huge number of threats and being not effective on few, they are offensive powerhorses that some of they can also takes hits really well. Again, Stealth Rocks is making them to look a thing they are not, as they are the favorites on metagames without Stealth Rocks (Gen I, II, and III have more than half of it's members on OU, BL, or UU), or doubles battles. The balanced and defensive ones can also aim for the freeze with it's STAB, something really feared on Gen I and Gen II, as aiming for the freeze was common, and having a STAB to back up it was really important if the freeze failed, nobody wants to see it's Pokémon made an Ice Cube, I think.

ElectivireRocks

Banned deucer.
We need more pokemon that defy the typical "type stereotype" many types are cursed with.
Remember how Stratagem in CAP was supposed to combat this trend? We definitely need more vanilla pokemon like him.

The imbalance among types becomes apparent in the monotype metagame:

Ground teams get massacred by any decent water- or ice- type scarfer.
Dragon vs Ice is a battle of scarfed Blizzards and Ice Shards vs Scarfed Outrage/Draco Meteors.
Flying types are SOL if Xatu fails to switch on a surprise Stealth Rock.
Electric types have NO ENTRY HAZARDS whatsoever.
Steel teams get swept (bar surprise resist berries) without fail by Infernape.
Water, Psychic and Fighting types are dominant thanks to their sheer diversity and versatility.

GameFreak needs to examine every single type, one by one, take note of their stregnths and weaknesses and do whatever it takes to balance them.
That is, if they really care about the competitive scenario.

Eh... Pokémon is a game about match-ups, so, it's obvious the Monotype metagame have those problems, but even then you can overcome a miss-match by having luck or using things like the berries to surprise and neat important K.Os. Take also in account the existance of doubles (and triple) battles, who had other balance of power between types in monotype battles.

Water, Fighthing, and Steel are still dominant on any metagame, so, they need a bit of balance.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
If we get more pokemon that defy the norm, everyone will go crazy and call them OP. They'll be OU or Uber in no time.
Not necessarily. But the uniqueness and quirks of the various types will be thinned out if every type of Pokémon were able to do exactly the same. At the moment, there is quite some variety (as I discussed on the previous page) between the fighting styles of the various types. Most of them have their defining trait. But once you start adding Special-oriented Fight Pokémon or Dragons centered around status spreading, those defining traits vanish in the crowd. Dark 'mons do some tricks, Steel 'mons do others, Normal 'mons do a bit of everything. I want that uniqueness to stay in the games.

I would actually want to see a couple of new moves along the lines of these:

1.) Soft Clouds

Type: Normal
Power: -
Accuracy: -
PP: 20
Priority: 0

Description: Places a cloud around the opponent's team that softens the opponent's defenses upon switching in. Lowers the opponent's attack and special attack by one stage.

2.) Magnet Rock

Type: Rock
Power: 90
Accuracy: -
Priority: 0
Damage: Physical

Description: Summons magnetic rocks to crush the foe. Never misses. (We really need an accurate rock type attack.)

I hope stealth rocks get nerfed:
6.25 to neutral
12.5 to weak
25 to x4 weak

SR just ruins the game. So many pokemon are useless because of rocks.

Magnet Rock should be special and Probobass should have it, just saying, and yes, curse physical Rock accurate moves, they are throwing ROCKS, of course you'll not land always, and the type is offensive good enough to doesn't care at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)