Reflecting on BW and Looking Ahead to Gen VI - SEE POST #508

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about getting bulkier pokémon with Unaware? Quagsire has proved that a pokémon with good typing and/or defenses and Unaware can be surprisingly difficult to take down

Quagsire is underused because of the mere facts that it's an enormous Taunt bait, its susceptibility to status and that almost the entirety of top-tier offensive pokémon can 2HKO it, some of them not even needing to have a Choice item

While the first two problems are not uncommon on defensive pokémon, the third one could be solved

What about getting bulkier pokémon with Unaware? Quagsire has proved that a pokémon with good typing and/or defenses and Unaware can be surprisingly difficult to take down

Quagsire is underused because of the mere facts that it's an enormous Taunt bait, its susceptibility to status and that almost the entirety of top-tier offensive pokémon can 2HKO it, some of them not even needing to have a Choice item

While the first two problems are not uncommon on defensive pokémon, the third one could be solved
I'll support this as long as they more than one weakness. We definitely don't need an unaware pokemon with the defenses of Ferrothorn but is only weak to a type that doesn't get used often. That would be broken as shit.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
At this point, I wouldn't mind a broken defensive pokemon though... also, if it's only weak to a rare type, wouldn't that mean more pokemon of that type would be used? Say, if it was weak to idk Grass or Poison, (no idea what would be weak to ONLY these types, but it's just an example), more pokemon with Grass and Poison STABs would come into play, adding more diversity. Is this not a good thing? Also, I'm tired of broken offensive pokemon. Might as well toss some defensive ones into the mix.

Skarmory walls very little of OU these day. An evolution could help remedy that.

Skarmageddon

140/80/140/40/70/70

Same abilities and typing as Skarmory

It'd be able to wall things again if its awful base HP was patched up.

Skarmory walls very little of OU these day. An evolution could help remedy that.

Skarmageddon

140/80/140/40/70/70

Same abilities and typing as Skarmory

It'd be able to wall things again if its awful base HP was patched up.
Oh god, no.

You only patched up it's HP...but you do know what a Skarmory evolution means, right? Skarmory with fucking eviolite. Skarmory with eviolite will become a fucking unstoppable mixed wall. There would be very few, (if any) pokemon that could even dent that thing.

But on the bright side, Skarmory may get sent to ubers if that happens.

Because you can't throw a rock without magic and expect it to reach to the target the 100% of times, then, it's not logic. Second, it doesn't fit with the current Rock's theme. And third, it could be excessive overpowered as Rock is the best offensive type of the game alongside Ice, with nobody inmune or x 4 resistant to it, at difference of Earthquake.

As comes of "I rage because I miss my overpowered move!!!" and other "hax" things, you may like this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3477169, but I doubt it will ever happen, or if make a so OP move like that could be a good idea at all.
Your telling me a thunderbolt reaches its target 100% of the time or a flamethrower reaches a flying target 100% of the time? Rock is definitely not the best offensive type in the game. Dragon is.

Steelix is immune to rock x4. Ice is only useful for dragons and that's about it.

I would like to see trap orb and speed orb. Trapping/1.3 speed for 10% damage.

Boosting speed with an item immediately (with the exception of choice scarf as it locks you in) sounds incredibly broken... Also don't like the idea of trap orb, despite it making battles shorter, it doesn't seem to make the game more exciting.

I'm all for new items, provided GF actually tests the stability of their gen 6 metagame first! I don't want to see a repeat of the blunder in gen 5, rain & its associated strategies are just too overwhelming.

A small speed boost, like 10% on an item, would be nice. However, it is still somewhat broken, and not because a speed boost in general is broken, but because of the way how speed actually functions in this game, being the most absolute stat in the game. THAT breaks it.

A few ways of boosting speed one stage without wasting a turn of not attacking would be nice though (aside from Flame Charge), even if only because of Prankster Taunt. Not on things which can sweep after one or two speed boosts (though those will most likely just raise a tier).
However, I think that 1 stage of speed boosting should be 25% instead of 50%. So Shell Smash, Rock Polish, Agility and Autotomize do no longer double a Pokémon's speed, but only increase it with 50%. That is, for as long as the speed mechanic's aren't changed.

it would be interesting to see no EVs, Natures, and Abilities again. This would be a huge step backwards but the metagame would be more "balanced".

another way would be not to have backward capability and no access to older pokemon. Of course I believe it was said that we would still be able to catch older pokemon in this game too. But this would be interesting because we would have a smaller pool of pokemon, sorta starting with a clean slate instead of adding another layer.

of course none of these thing will ever happen but giving us better defensive pokemon is a way to start and is reasonable.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As far as the Skarm thing I'm going to quote my OI post for what it would probably look like:

For people who don't think Eviolite of mons as strong as Skarmory, may I please remind you that Dusclops got an evolution in the very next generation. In fact, the Gen 4 Evolutions had previously existing Pokemon ranging from 430-490 BST, and Skarmory is right in the middle of that range. Dusclops had 10 less BST, if Skarm got a Dusclops-esque boost of +5 HP / +30 Atk / +5 Def / +5 SpA / +5 SpD / +25 Spe it'd be monstrous at 70/110/145/45/75/95.

Remember that Skarmory has both Swords Dance and Agility, and all it would really take to make "Skarmtress" dangerous is something like Drill Run or Superpower. It already has Brave Bird, Iron Head, and Rock Slide (and might get Stone Edge on an evo). On top of that you'd also have Eviolite Skarm running around. The scariest thing about a Skarmtress spread like that is it could run Skarmory's old set, save its Brave Bird was actually threatening to neutral opponents, it has better speed for Taunt, and it technically has even more bulk.
A thought I had last night based on Scald would be something like a Dark-typed Scald with a 30% chance of inflicting Taunt instead of burn. An attack like that would be incredibly nasty, seriously affect "Sub + X" Pokemon, and severely weaken stall. Hydreigon would love "Night Rage." Even if foes can switch out of it, it also completely defeats Baton Pass chains by bypassing Magic Bounce (and smashing Espeon/Xatu for SE Damage), and even Substitute if the Taunt effect activates even while the foe is behind a Sub like regular Taunt.

How about a dragon type pokemon with Oblivious? Does Oblivious+Outrage even work?
You're thinking Own Tempo. Oblivious prevents attraction, and Own Tempo prevents confusion. And yes, it does work, as seen by Petal Dance Own Tempo Lilligant. I actually really, really like this idea.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Deck Night although i agree that a Skarmory evo is almost impossible to happen (i don't think that gen 6 will evolve any 2nd or 3rd gen Pokemon, only from 4th and 5th gen) i don't see what would be so bad about it. Even if it had the stats you described and takes the role of a bulky sweepr so what? 70 / 75 special bulk is still pathetic, meaning that every Electric, Fire, and Rain boosted Water attack will kill it, making it very manageable. And i think that Eviolite Skarmory would be a great boon for stall teams. Skarmory would finally be able to do its job as a physical wall once again, but it will still fall to any strong Fire or Electric move, or rain boosted Water hits as i mentioned earlier. It will still get set-up on by Forretress. It will still despise rain and sun teams. We really need some defense creep this gen if we want stall to be even remotely viable.

I' agree with everyone that new items would be well appreciated. However, as of the moment we already have a lot of items, but only a handful see usage and become relevant, perhaps because their effects are very good competitively, or very unique that it serves a niche. Examples of these are shown below:
Leftovers - Heals 1/16 HP each turn.
Choice Band - Hold item which raises Attack 50%, but locks holder into one move.
Choice Specs - Hold item which raises Special Attack 50%, but locks holder into one move.
Choice Scarf - Hold item which raises Speed 50%, but locks holder into one move.
Life Orb - Boosts power by 30%, user takes 10% recoil each turn it attacks.
Focus Sash - The holder always survives one attack if at max HP. One-time use.
Eviolite - Boosts Defense and Special Defense of holder by 50% if it is an NFE Pokemon.
Flame Orb - Burns the holder.
Toxic Orb - Poisons the holder.
Light Clay - Reflect and Light Screen last 8 turns.
Air Balloon - Makes the holder immune to Ground-type attacks. Disappears when holder is hit.
White Herb - Removes stat decreases. Consumed after use.
Mental Herb - Cures certain conditions. One-time use.
Shed Shell - Allows holder to switch out even when trapped.
Custap Berry - Activates at 25% HP. Next move used goes first. Unobtainable in BW. One-time use.
Chesto Berry - Cures sleep. One-time use.
Lum Berry - Cures status. Consumed after use.
Rocky Helmet - Deals 1/6 damage when the opponent makes contact.
Lagging Tail and Full Incense - Makes the holder move last in their priority bracket.
Macho Brace and Iron Ball - Reduces Speed 50%. Removes holder's Ground-type immunity for the latter
Red Card - The opponent is forced out immediately if it attacks the holder. One-time use.
Eject Button - When the holder is hit, it immediately switches out. One-time use.

However, other than these, most of the other items are too weak, too situational, or outfavored/outclassed by the above abilities. It would be nice if they are changed to make battlers give them more of a consideration when giving Pokemon their items. Listed below are ways in which this could be achieved:

For items affecting damage dealt by a Pokemon, the following changes can be made.
  • When Gems are used, the power of the attack is doubled instead of just raised by 50%.
  • Type-specific boosting items (Plates, some Incenses, Mystic Water and the likes) boosts moves by 40% instead of just 20%.
  • Expert Belt raises damage of super effective hit by 30%, instead of just 20%.
  • Wise Glasses and Muscle Band riases damage of special and physicl attacks by 20% instead of just 10%.
Bug Gem - Doubles the power of a Bug-type move. One-time use.
Dark Gem - Doubles the power of a Dark-type move. One-time use.
Dragon Gem - Doubles the power of a Dragon-type move. One-time use.
Electric Gem - Doubles the power of a Electric-type move. One-time use.
Fighting Gem - Doubles the power of a Fighting-type move. One-time use.
Fire Gem - Doubles the power of a Fire-type move. One-time use.
Flying Gem - Doubles the power of a Flying-type move. One-time use.
Ghost Gem - Doubles the power of a Ghost-type move. One-time use.
Grass Gem - Doubles the power of a Grass-type move. One-time use.
Ground Gem - Doubles the power of a Ground-type move. One-time use.
Ice Gem - Doubles the power of a Ice-type move. One-time use.
Normal Gem - Doubles the power of a Normal-type move. One-time use.
Poison Gem - Doubles the power of a Poison-type move. One-time use.
Psychic Gem - Doubles the power of a Psychic-type move. One-time use.
Rock Gem - Doubles the power of a Rock-type move. One-time use.
Steel Gem - Doubles the power of a Steel-type move. One-time use.
Water Gem - Doubles the power of a Water-type move. One-time use.

Insect Plate - Boosts the power of Bug-type moves by 40%.
Zap Plate - Boosts the power of Electric-type moves by 40%.
Fist Plate - Boosts the power of Fighting-type moves by 40%.
Flame Plate - Boosts the power of Fire-type moves by 40%.
Sky Plate - Boosts the power of Flying-type moves by 40%.
Spooky Plate - Boosts the power of Ghost-type moves by 40%.
Meadow Plate - Boosts the power of Grass-type moves by 40%.
Earth Plate - Boosts the power of Ground-type moves by 40%.
Icicle Plate - Boosts the power of Ice-type moves by 40%.
Toxic Plate - Boosts the power of Poison-type moves by 40%.
Mind Plate - Boosts the power of Psychic-type moves by 40%.
Stone Plate - Boosts the power of Rock-type moves by 40%.
Iron Plate - Boosts the power of Steel-type moves by 40%.
Splash Plate - Boosts the power of Water-type moves by 40%.
SilverPowder - Raises power of Bug-type moves by 40%.
BlackGlasses - Raises power of Dark-type moves by 40%.
Dread Plate - Raises power of Dark-type moves by 40%.
Dragon Fang - Raises power of Dragon-type moves by 40%.
Draco Plate - Raises power of Dragon-type moves by 40%.
Magnet - Raises power of Electric-type moves by 40%.
Black Belt - Raises power of Fighting-type moves by 40%.
Charcoal - Raises power of Fire-type moves by 40%.
Sharp Beak - Raises power of Flying-type moves by 40%.
Spell Tag - Raises power of Ghost-type moves by 40%.
Miracle Seed - Raises power of Grass-type moves by 40%.
Rose Incense - Raises power of Grass-type moves by 40%.
Soft Sand - Raises power of Ground-type moves by 40%.
NeverMeltIce - Raises power of Ice-type moves by 40%.
Silk Scarf - Raises power of Normal-type moves by 40%.
Poison Barb - Raises power of Poison-type moves by 40%.
TwistedSpoon - Raises power of Psychic-type moves 40%.
Odd Incense - Raises power of Psychic-type moves 40%.
Hard Stone - Raises power of Rock-type moves 40%.
Rock Incense - Raises power of Rock-type moves 40%.
Metal Coat - Raises power of Steel-type moves 40%.
Mystic Water - Raises power of Water-type moves 40%.
Sea Incense - Raises power of Water-type moves 40%.
Wave Incense - Raises power of Water-type moves 40%.

Expert Belt - Super effective attacks are 30% stronger.

Wise Glasses - Raises damage from special moves 20%.
Muscle Band - Raises power of physical moves 20%.

For berries, I think most of them needs to b strengthened to make them more appealing so that more battlers consider them, making the metagame more varied. These changes may make Recycle, Harvest, Unnerve, Pluck, Incinerate, and even Knock Off, Embargo and Magic Room, become very valuable tools to handle them. This can be done this way:
  • Make type resist berrries reduce damage done to 1/4 instead of 1/2.
  • Pinch berries raises a stat by two stages instead of one.
  • Enigma berry now raises HP by 50% instead of 25% when hit by a super-effective attack.
  • Jaboca and Rowap berries now deal 25% damage to opponent when activated, instead of just 12.5%.
  • Micle Berry makes the next move guaranteed to hit instead of just increasing its accuracy boosted 20%.
Chilan Berry - Reduces damage from a Normal-type attack to 1/4. Consumed after use.
Tanga Berry - Reduces damage from a super effective Bug-type attack to 1/4. Consumed after use.
Colbur Berry - Reduces damage from a super effective Dark-type attack to 1/4. Consumed after use.
Haban Berry - Reduces damage from a super effective Dragon-type attack to 1/4. Consumed after use.
Wacan Berry - Reduces damage from a super effective Electric-type attack to 1/4. Consumed after use.
Chople Berry - Reduces damage from a super effective Fighting-type attack to 1/4. Consumed after use.
Occa Berry - Reduces damage from a super effective Fire-type attack to 1/4. Consumed after use.
Coba Berry - Reduces damage from a super effective Flying-type attack to 1/4. Consumed after use.
Kasib Berry - Reduces damage from a super effective Ghost-type attack to 1/4. Consumed after use.
Rindo Berry - Reduces damage from a super effective Grass-type attack to 1/4.
Shuca Berry - Reduces damage from a super effective Ground-type attack to 1/4. Consumed after use.
Yache Berry - Reduces damage from a super effective Ice-type attack to 1/4. Consumed after use.
Kebia Berry - Reduces damage from a super effective Poison-type attack to 1/4. Consumed after use.
Payapa Berry - Reduces damage from a super effective Psychic-type attack to 1/4. Consumed after use.
Charti Berry - Reduces damage from a super effective Rock-type attack to 1/4. Consumed after use.
Babiri Berry - Reduces damage from a super effective Steel-type attack to 1/4. Consumed after use.
Passho Berry - Reduces damage from a super effective Water-type attack to 1/4. Consumed after use.

Starf Berry - Raises a random stat by two stages when at 25% HP or less. One-time use.
Liechi Berry - Raises Attack by two stages when at 25% HP or less. One-time use.
Lansat Berry - Raises critical hit rate by two stages when at 25% HP or less. One-time use.
Ganlon Berry - Raises Defense by two stages when at 25% HP or less. One-time use.
Petaya Berry - Raises SpA by two stages when at 25% HP or less. One-time use.
Apicot Berry - Raises Special Defense by two stages when at 25% HP or less. One-time use.
Salac Berry - Raises Speed by two stages when at 25% HP or less. One-time use.

Enigma Berry - Heals 50% HP after being hit by a super effective attack. One-time use.

Jaboca Berry - If hit by a physical attack, the attacker takes 25% damage. Unobtainable in BW. One-time use.
Rowap Berry - If hit by a special attack, the attacker takes 25% damage. Unobtainable in BW. One-time use.

Micle Berry - Activates at 25% HP. Next move will be guaranteed to hit. One-time use.

For other items, the following changes can be made to ensure that they have individual merit:
  • Metronome - Increases the power of moves used consecutively by 50% each time it is used, up to a maximum of 5 turns. This translates to hitting with normal Attack turn 1, +1 Attack on turn 2, +2 Attack on turn 3, and so forth, as long as the Pokemon does not switch moves.
  • Cell Battery - Boosts Attack of holder if hit by an Electric-type attack. Not consumed anymore, but still does not grant immunity.
  • Absorb Bulb - Boosts Special Attack of holder if hit by a Water-type attack. Not consumed anymore, but still does not grant immunity.
  • King's Rock and Razor Fang - Certain moves have a 30% flinch rate.
  • Shock Drive - Raises damage by 20% (making it 102 BP), and changes the type of Techno Blast to Electric.
  • Burn Drive - Raises damage by 20% (making it 102 BP), changes the type of Techno Blast to Fire.
  • Chill Drive - Raises damage by 20% (making it 102 BP), and changes the type of Techno Blast to Ice.
  • Douse Drive - Raises damage by 20% (making it 102 BP), and changes the type of Techno Blast to Water.
  • Focus Band - Gives a 30% chance of surviving a hit with at least 1 HP.
  • Quick Claw - Gives the user a 30% chance to go first.
  • Icy Rock, Damp Rock, Smooth Rock and Heat Rock - Weather summoned by move lasts 8 turns. Becomes relevant if weather summoned by ability stops three turns after inducer is not on the field anymore.
  • Shell Bell - Heals holder 1/4 of damage dealt.
  • Lax Incense and BrightPowder - Raises evasion 30%.
  • Big Root - Doubles the HP gained from draining moves.
  • Wide Lens - Raises accuracy 20%.
  • Zoom Lens - Raises accuracy by 30% if the holder moves after the target.
  • Scope Lens and Razor Claw - Raises critical hit rate two stages.
  • Black Sludge - Recovers 1/16 HP each turn for Poison types. Damages all other types. Needs to distinguish itself from Leftovers.
  • Sticky Barb - Causes damage to holder and attaches to attacker upon contact. Any suggestions?
  • Destiny Knot - If the holder becomes infatuated, so does the enemy. Any suggestions?
  • Binding Band - Increases power of multi-turn trapping moves.Any suggestions?
  • Grip Claw - Partial trapping moves last 5 turns.Any suggestions?

Not really liking the ideas, actually, those items are a good idea to use as Life Orb, and the Choice items are just 4 items, and under Item Clause (I don't understand why Smogon doesn't use Item Clause), you HAVE to be creative with those items and use alternative options, for example Big Root can heal you A LOT MORE with Leech Seed (just imagine Leech Seeding something like Chansey with Big Root, pure win), and more if you have a STAB healing move like Drain Punch and stuff. King's Rock is excesive great when you use it with Multi-Hit's move, as you can with Silver Link flinch the half of time, or half 1/4 of time on avarage without Silver Link, pretty good. (With your suggestion about King's Rock, we could be able to flinch the 100% of times with almost any multi-hit move, and guarantee 100% with Silver Link).

Shell Bell is a good item where hazards are not on play, like doubles, just see, if you deal huge ammounts of damage per turn you can heal a hell of damage, just Blizaard both opponents on the field hard while hail is up and laugh when they see how you heal a lot of your damage. It's also a good item on those Pokémon who tend to suicided itself with recoil moves, as it's rare you'll heal too much with Leaftovers. And of course, under Item Clause you have to use this if you have Leaftovers already used, and it's also good on sweepers, to prolong the sweep and make them really hard to revenge kill.

Quick Claw is good on extremly low Pokémon who wants from time to outspeed things, it was a pretty good option for an item before Generation IV as the battles were not so offensive pased, and thus, your bulky Pokémon survived more time to activate it at least one time, sometimes saving your life (for example I used a Magcargo on Colosseum with Quick Claw and Rock Slide, and factoring it's ability, it had benefits from "hax" on at least 1 turn per match - usually 1 per two turns -, burning the opponent, flinching one with Rock Slidem or just attacking before with Flamethrower, it was awesome). Raising evasion 30%? That's too OP, you know. 10%+ of accuracy is already ok, it's a decent option when you're using low-accuracy attacks with status moves, as you improve both in one shot, making sometimes it a better option than boosting your attack. (For example, you can make Hydro Pump an almost 100% accuracy move when you also improve another status move, making it more powerful than Surf boosted by Life Orb), and when you think about the 30% boost of the Zoom Lens, you can stricke almost the 100% of times any status move if your Pokémon is slow, it's a nice buff to the already debuffed as hell slow Pokémon.

Pinch Berries are already really good, and the resistant ones are good enough to make it a fantastic surprise to overcome a counter if you're creative enough. The unique problem is it's consumed, but even then, you can use this on sweepers to overcome it's main counter and just sweep the whole opponent's team, or on doubles, where it's actually really rare you survive more than 5 turns.

In other words, there are more viable items than just put Choice Scarf/Specs/Leaftovers to everything over there, and some are really great and sometimes better than just pure brute force, but know what? It's easier to just put those items on every single Pokémon and don't think about it too much, but if you're willing to be creative with the items, you can improve the efficency of your Pokémon, but, meh, too much work.

Improving booster items is a wrong idea no matter how you see it, changing stall from somewhat viable to unviable to the infinite.

• Sticky Barb - Causes damage to holder and attaches to attacker upon contact. Any suggestions?
  • Destiny Knot - If the holder becomes infatuated, so does the enemy. Any suggestions?
  • Binding Band - Increases power of multi-turn trapping moves.Any suggestions?
  • Grip Claw - Partial trapping moves last 5 turns.Any suggestions?
Destiny Knot could have been a decent option on NU's ADV as Wigglytuff was one of the primes forces there, sadly, from Generation IV, NU is not now of underpowered Pokémon, but just rather of most of the Pokéworld weak to Stealth Rock, curse it. Trapping moves are usable options for stalling teams, but with the buff to those moves, the item was render useless, it should be buffed to at least 8 turns. Binding Band is a pretty decent option as you can deal 12% of damage each turn no mather what, and if you have Protect and stuff, you can usually leave 25% or even more of damage against your counter, by just doing nothing, good for staliing, not sees too much us thanks to Stealth Rock, crippling about the 70% of it's users for doing anything at all, and the others are still suffering a lot as stall is already hard to do with all those offensive boosters there.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Sticky barb's a pretty easy fix - make it remove the opponent's item, or work like a pesudo-trick and give you their item. Could horribly backfire if you wind up physically attacking them at some point, but that's the fun part~ It'd be an interesting item that would have to be conserved for surprise, and could just as easily be used against you with a vairety of play/counterplay relationships that would make it not only viable, but I'd even argue fun to use.

Oh god, no.

You only patched up it's HP...but you do know what a Skarmory evolution means, right? Skarmory with fucking eviolite. Skarmory with eviolite will become a fucking unstoppable mixed wall. There would be very few, (if any) pokemon that could even dent that thing.

But on the bright side, Skarmory may get sent to ubers if that happens.
You should really have done a calculation before posting this. A Skarmory evolution with a Base HP of 140, would result in a defense boost of nearly 50% when using Skarmory as a reference, making it undoubtedly superior to Eviolite Skarmory as you can use Shed Shell to avoid Magnezone while having almost the same bulk. Skarmory would also never get sent to Ubers, as it has many shortcomings.

We could see dozens of changes, but really the biggest one will be that Gen 6 might go untouched by AR. The newest models can work on the 3DS, but it will still only work with DS games. Codejunkies might have shit a brick at the announcement, as their gravy train might be coming to an end. They may also rush out a full 3DS AR device.

Without the ability to quickly check IV/EV values, without a quick and easy clone, or even fast hatching for breeding, will the new 'mons make an immediate impact? Will RNG abuse end if that gets overhauled?

We might not see a big change for awhile after X and Y hit. We might see players relying on their Gen 5 Juggernauts while people search for the next exploit. If IVs can't be manipulated on the new Gen, how much play will they really see at a seriously competitive level?

Strategy doesn't care about that.
If it is possible in theory to have something, then you can use that on simulators.

We could see dozens of changes, but really the biggest one will be that Gen 6 might go untouched by AR. The newest models can work on the 3DS, but it will still only work with DS games. Codejunkies might have shit a brick at the announcement, as their gravy train might be coming to an end. They may also rush out a full 3DS AR device.

Without the ability to quickly check IV/EV values, without a quick and easy clone, or even fast hatching for breeding, will the new 'mons make an immediate impact? Will RNG abuse end if that gets overhauled?

We might not see a big change for awhile after X and Y hit. We might see players relying on their Gen 5 Juggernauts while people search for the next exploit. If IVs can't be manipulated on the new Gen, how much play will they really see at a seriously competitive level?
This really shouldn't be a huge problem since most competitive battles happen on battle simulators, not DS Wi-Fi. Of course, if they think they could get a lot of money for it, I don't think a 3DS Action Replay is a very unlikely thing.

I'm with a lot of other people in that I'm looking forward to the possibility of some new evos for old Pokemon. After all, this is a new even-numbered generation, and the last even-numbered generations have given us a few new stages (Blissey and Scizor in Gen II and Rhyperior and Tangrowth in Gen IV, for example). Skarmory would be a really interesting Pokemon to get a new evo, mainly for the possibility of Eviolite Skarmory. It would definitely be a boost to stall. Eviolite Skarmory won't exactly be invincible, since even a specially defensive set at +1 can be OHKO'd by some STAB Fire Blasts coming off of Pokemon like Heatran and Volcarona, but the fact that it could take a Modest Specs Rotom-W's Thunderbolt from full health is pretty nice.

A thought I had last night based on Scald would be something like a Dark-typed Scald with a 30% chance of inflicting Taunt instead of burn. An attack like that would be incredibly nasty, seriously affect "Sub + X" Pokemon, and severely weaken stall. Hydreigon would love "Night Rage." Even if foes can switch out of it, it also completely defeats Baton Pass chains by bypassing Magic Bounce (and smashing Espeon/Xatu for SE Damage), and even Substitute if the Taunt effect activates even while the foe is behind a Sub like regular Taunt.
The Taunt effect shouldn't work behind a Sub though, Scald cannot burn things you can't damage, like Shedinja, so you'd be inventing a new kind of added effect for the sake of a single move... Just to say I don't see why they would do something like that, it's not even intuitive at all.

It'd be nice if some of the event only moves could be bred in Gen VI like Wish Blissey/Chansey. Also give us back Body Slam as a Tutor Move. Granted tutors aren't normally seen till the third game in a new generation. I'd also like to see stronger emphasis on defensive Pokemon for Gen VI.
Last of all I want my Dark/Psychic Pokemon already! Bonus points if its some malevolent and powerful looking legendary.

It would be nice if they gave slaking something to put it out of its misery in NU. Skill swap... a new ability... even a special item that cancels traunt :( i feel so bad for it...

im betting were gonna get a lot of special pokemon. what i mean by this is a bunch of special sweepers and attackers. this generation gave us a bunch of tools for and against physical attackers, as well as new powerful physical attackers and walls. I wouldnt be surprised if they brought in new powerful special attackers, defenders, moves, and even a status condition that cuts SpA in half just like burn... maybe cursed lol? jinxed? bewitched?

in any case, im hoping those starters are cool and powerful enough to stay in OU, because they seem pretty cool, almost gen 3 cool.

There is already a way to cancel Truant, and that's by using a teammate alongside it with has the Mummy ability. Switch said mask/sarcofaghus in on a contact move, then switch it out for Slaking ASAP. Then use Pursuit.

There is already a way to cancel Truant, and that's by using a teammate alongside it with has the Mummy ability. Switch said mask/sarcofaghus in on a contact move, then switch it out for Slaking ASAP. Then use Pursuit.
Yeah but that requires a lot of steps. Plus, the opponent can usually see it coming, so theyll switch out when slaking comes in, not when its on the field ready to pursuit. Its not that easy to pull this off, imo, albeit ive never done this.

If slaking could have a new ability, it could sweep right away. If it had skill swap, it could force a switch and allow for set up. It makes slaking all the more of the threat it should be.

Like many others have said, I'm hoping for more defense in Gen XI. The current meta is very very offensive, and if it gets any worse Stall as a playstyle may go from difficult currently to unsustainable. I have faith that Game Freak understands this, but what I'm afraid of is them going "Hurr durr defense" and slapping on three or four pokemon with huge defensive stats and bad typing/movepools. In this meta, typing is just as important as stats when it comes to defense (Which do you see more, Ferrothorn or Bastidon?) and utility. Looking at the current pokemon, the three top typings that would help defense in Gen VI are:

• Ghost / Steel (W/Levitate): It's been said before, but that's because it's so good: Ghost/Steel with Levitate has one weakness that's easily catchable, and by itself walls a lot. The two best sweepers in Black/White 2 (RP Sheer Force Landorus and Terrakion) are coldcocked by this if it has decent stats, along with many others.
  • Water / Dragon: Kingdra exists, but I mean a true defensive stallwart with this typing would solve two problems: overpowered rain-boosted Water attacks, and overpowered sun-boosted Fire attacks. The pair of X4 resists gives it ample opportunities to switch in, and it only has one weakness (Dragon) which can be covered by Steels.
  • Fire / Poison: This was a CAP, but it has a legitimate niche in the current OU as a full stop to Sun. Venesaur couldn't touch it, neither could Volcarana, a retested Genesect also couldn't make a dent. While cumbersome (getting it in with a Rocks weakness), it has the potenial to be very useful for defensive teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)