Role Playing Approval Center (Update 5-12-13)

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
So...throwing an idea here.

Pokemon Battle Simulator

How about if we gave a chance for the players to relive famous scenarios/battles from pokemon games?

The idea is very simple actually: we create many scenarios for the player the challenge and assign a prize for the ones that manage to beat them. Once they beat it, they wouldn't be able to redo it for 2 months (to avoid using it to get insta counters). So for example a scenario would be something like:

Fight Miror B

Rules:
4vs4 Doubles
Switch = OK
Abilities = All
Megas = No
Item = Yes
Infinite Recoveries
Special Effects: Always raining. Air Lock doesn't affect it. Weather can't be changed.

Opponents's Team:

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

Prize for victory: ----

Fight Fisherman

9vs3 Mixed
Switch = KO
Abilities = One
Megas = No
Item = Yes
No Recoveries
No Chills
Special Effects: Challenger sends out one pokemon. Fisherman sends out 3.

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

Prize: ---

B6P3vsB3P3 Singles
Switch = OK
Abilities = One
Megas = No
Item = No
2 Recoveries
5 Chills
Special Effects: Blue's team will be randomised from the three below. Challenger can only use pokemon and moves that already existed in Gen I. The power/acc/effects of the moves follow NDA.

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

6vs6 Triples
Switch = OK
Abilities = One
Megas = No
Item = Yes
0 Recoveries
5 Chills
Special Effects:
- The Item "Light Ball" has its effects multiplied by 1.5 (so it triples stats instead of doubling) and can't affected (embargo, knock off, magic room etc) in any way.
- Pikachu costumes are banned.
- Rock Slide and Twister can't flinch.
- Positioning is ON

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

B7P4vsB4P4 Doubles
Switch = OK
Abilities = One
Megas = No
Item = Yes
0 Recoveries
5 Chills
Special Effects: Ghetsis MUST use Kyurem and Hydreigon. Fairy Damaging moves fail (including pixilate). Ghetsis can choose to send out either Kyurem-W or Kyurem-B.

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert Kyurem-W profile*
*insert Kyurem-B profile*

The ref will then RPing as the character initiate a battle against the challenger and they fight normally. At the end, the player gets normal counters for the battle and the prize if win.

There would be easier and harder scenarios and to unlock the harder scenarios you would need to defeat the easier ones. Some scenarios are battles, there may be scenarios simulating a capture (YOU WOULDN'T GET THE POKEMON, ITS JUST A SIMULATION) etc. The idea is to simulate memorable moments of the games with some challenge and your own mons.

The fisherman would be necessary first match. If you defeat him, you get the option of facing Miror B or some random dude. If you manage to defeat both you get the option of trying Red, Blue, Ghetsis and other one. If you manage to defeat all of them you go up and up etc.

The ref would get 1.5x the counters of the match.

What do you guys think about it? It is as simple as it gets, has some nice flavor and the challenge aspect is something ASB lacks somewhat. The closest we have to it are Gyms (and many facilities that need you to overcome a series of small challenges and months of patience to get you somewhere), but they have limitations, while here we can make any scenario.

Last edited:
I like the idea Frosty, what are the scenarios that you have in mind?

RPing as the character seems like fun, and the cool down seems fair enough. I think prize's could be scenario specific too? Like if it is a capture simulation you get a pokeball (which ever type was used) and the same for battles? Like Giovanni could give an Amulet Coin?

Frosty

=_=
Prizes would be flexible yeah. UC or items or even a fresh pokemon/pokemon with some MC.

Scenarios would be like...
- Miror B duh. Gotta love that soundtrack.
- Red
- Blue
- Ghetsis
- Trying to capture Arceus
- Most Champions (Cinthia, Steven, Lance, N etc)
- Morimoto
- Giovanni
- Leader of Team Aqua/Magma
- Facing Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre
- Alder
- Evice from Pokemon Colosseum
- Greevil from Pokemon XD
- Dark Lugia

And so on. It has been a while since I played pokemon games, so I may be missing memorable battles somewhere. But those are the gist of it. Sure, the special effects will make most battles more than just a match vs a team of random mons.

I just don't intend to do Elite Four or Gyms because: a) We have our own Gyms; b) Elite Four would take fucking forever. Everything else is game. Even some...modified scenarios to spice up challenges.

I am very much a fan of this proposal. However, I'm not quite sure how some of the challenges (Primal Groudon/Kyogre, Arceus, Shadow Lugia) would work out. If you just make it 1 v 1, you've got a brutal challenge on your fight that will only last a couple rounds. Hardly "epic." If you give boosts to make it 6 v 1/2 or whatever, you're basically making the Raid Zone. I'm fine with the trainer battles but I kind of want to see how the Legend Battles would play out before I support those.

Also the guy with six Magikarp needs to be a challenge. Just saying.

Frosty

=_=
Magikarp? :|

Next you will ask for joey of comfy shorts

Anyway, legendary captures would have special effects that would make the battle longer. For Primal Groudon you would need to defeat Groudon and team magma for example. For Arceus you would need to handle the pokemon it creates. Other scenarios would follow the same route. It will be like a TLR boss arena on major crack.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
I was contemplating that idea for the Battle Dome idea I have p much abandoned or even a PWT RP but yeah I did not follow through for effort and whatnot as well as not having any real motivation. The closest thing I have come to an NPC fight in a RP is an encounter with a certain Trainer in Tower of Ash (which will be kept in the revamp) haha.

But yeah I like the idea though, the offering legends for rewards is not something I would support unless under exceptional circumstances (like Gym League). And even then, I do not approve of offering Arceus or any of the other super uber legends (I guess the above is just an example but yeah you know what I mean).

Frosty

=_=
Just to be clear: I DON'T intend to offer legendaries as prizes. Under absolutely no circunstances. When I say "fresh pokemon" I mean like...if you defeat miror B you get a Ludicolo or Metagross for Steven. But no legendary mons.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
ASB SUPER CONTESTS (BETA)

So guys, I did a thing where I codified all of the Contest info for ORAS Super Contests.

I'd like to run this by you and Beta Test it. The data is basically ported straight from the game, with a few minor tweaks. The prize structure of this is to offer a pretty easy way to build up your Pokemon's MC counters early on in ASB, but also have a highly competitive and deep experience that builds off the in-game Contest model.

Here is the Database: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0N2AjAnqfHDR3BlWkt2MThkSjQ/view?usp=sharing

Here's the ruleset in the first sheet:

Document Pages:
Alpha Contest List:
Moves Sorted by Alphabetical Order

Contest Sequences: Move that begin a combo.
Note: The Second Move of a combo earns double its base appeal points.

Excitement Effect (EE): Chart of how Move Contest Types Effect Excitement

Sort by Appeal Strength: Moves Sorted by Appeal Strength

Sort by Jamming Strength: Moves Sorted by Jamming Strength

Sort by Additional Effect: Moves Sorted by their Additional Effect.

General Rules:
Contests consist of a Condition Round and number of Appeal Rounds
When Enterring a Contest, a Player Selects Moves from their Pokemon's Movepool up to the Contest Limit
All Players Enter their Contest Pokemon, Selected Moves, and Contest Item via PM after being grouped together by the Contest Ref.
Contests consist of 4-6 Players, grouped by the Contest Ref.

Contest Limit:
Number of Moves that can be selected for use in the Appeal Rounds
Normal Limit: 6 | 5 Appeal Rounds
Super Limit: 8 | 5 Appeal Rounds
Hyper Limit: 10 | 8 Appeal Rounds
Master Limit: 16 | 8 Appeal Rounds

Condition Round:
Condition is determined by Selected Moves + Contest Item.
Moves with Positive EE grant +2 Condition.
Moves with Neutral EE Grant +1 Condition.
Moves with Negative EE Grant -1 Condition.

Contest Items:
[Rank] [Contest] Scarves Give 2 Condition * (1,2,3,4) for Normal, Super, Hyper, and Master Rank Respectively.
Cheri Berry Grants 2 Condition for Coolness Contests, and Subtracts 2 Condition in Cuteness and Cleverness Contests
Chesto Berry Grants 2 Condition for Beauty Contests, and Subtracts 2 Condition in Cleverness and Toughness Contests
Pecha Berry Grants 2 Condition for Cuteness Contests, and Subtracts 2 Condition in Coolness and Toughness Contests
Rawst Berry Grants 2 Condition for Cleverness Contests, and Subtracts 2 Condition in Coolness and Beauty Contests
Aspear Berry Grants 2 Condition for Toughness Contests, and Subtracts 2 Condition in Beauty and Cuteness Contests
Valid Mega Stones grant a +3 Appeal Bonus to a Pokemon that maxes Audience Excitement (AE) on their action. The Pokemon also Mega-Evolves.

Appeal Round:
Order is determined in the First Round by the Pokemon that won the Condition Round
Order in subsequent rounds is determined by move effects followed by the Best Appeals (in order) in the previous round.
Audience Excitement (AE) has a value from 0 to 5. When it reaches 5, the Pokemon gains 5 Additional Appeal Points
A move that increases AE that action gains +1 Appeal Points.
Pokemon that are Mega-Evolved at the start of an action when they make an Appeal gain an additional Appeal Point.
A Pokemon can end a round with a negative Appeal Score [Due to Jamming]. Negatives Scores are calculated into the Final Score.

Final Score:
The Final Score is determined by adding the Condition Score and all the Appeal Round scores together.
Pokemon receive placement (1st, 2nd, etc.) Based on their Final Scores.

Prizes:
1st Place: X (# of Players) MC for their Pokemon, a Ribbon for that Pokemon's Profile, and a Scarf of that Contest's type. Pokemon with Maxxed MC receive CC instead.
2nd Place: X (# of Players) -1 MC for their Pokemon. Pokemon with Maxxed MC receive CC instead.
3rd Place: X (# of Players) -2 MC for their Pokemon. Pokemon with Maxxed MC receive CC instead.
4th (and later) Place: X (# of Players) -3 MC for their Pokemon. Pokemon with Maxxed MC receive CC instead.

Last edited:

Frosty

=_=
So...throwing an idea here.

Pokemon Battle Simulator

How about if we gave a chance for the players to relive famous scenarios/battles from pokemon games?

The idea is very simple actually: we create many scenarios for the player the challenge and assign a prize for the ones that manage to beat them. Once they beat it, they wouldn't be able to redo it for 2 months (to avoid using it to get insta counters). So for example a scenario would be something like:

Fight Miror B

Rules:
4vs4 Doubles
Switch = OK
Abilities = All
Megas = No
Item = Yes
Infinite Recoveries
Special Effects: Always raining. Air Lock doesn't affect it. Weather can't be changed.

Opponents's Team:

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

Prize for victory: ----

Fight Fisherman

9vs3 Mixed
Switch = KO
Abilities = One
Megas = No
Item = Yes
No Recoveries
No Chills
Special Effects: Challenger sends out one pokemon. Fisherman sends out 3.

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

Prize: ---

B6P3vsB3P3 Singles
Switch = OK
Abilities = One
Megas = No
Item = No
2 Recoveries
5 Chills
Special Effects: Blue's team will be randomised from the three below. Challenger can only use pokemon and moves that already existed in Gen I. The power/acc/effects of the moves follow NDA.

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

6vs6 Triples
Switch = OK
Abilities = One
Megas = No
Item = Yes
0 Recoveries
5 Chills
Special Effects:
- The Item "Light Ball" has its effects multiplied by 1.5 (so it triples stats instead of doubling) and can't affected (embargo, knock off, magic room etc) in any way.
- Pikachu costumes are banned.
- Rock Slide and Twister can't flinch.
- Positioning is ON

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

B7P4vsB4P4 Doubles
Switch = OK
Abilities = One
Megas = No
Item = Yes
0 Recoveries
5 Chills
Special Effects: Ghetsis MUST use Kyurem and Hydreigon. Fairy Damaging moves fail (including pixilate). Ghetsis can choose to send out either Kyurem-W or Kyurem-B.

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert profile

*insert Kyurem-W profile*
*insert Kyurem-B profile*

The ref will then RPing as the character initiate a battle against the challenger and they fight normally. At the end, the player gets normal counters for the battle and the prize if win.

There would be easier and harder scenarios and to unlock the harder scenarios you would need to defeat the easier ones. Some scenarios are battles, there may be scenarios simulating a capture (YOU WOULDN'T GET THE POKEMON, ITS JUST A SIMULATION) etc. The idea is to simulate memorable moments of the games with some challenge and your own mons.

The fisherman would be necessary first match. If you defeat him, you get the option of facing Miror B or some random dude. If you manage to defeat both you get the option of trying Red, Blue, Ghetsis and other one. If you manage to defeat all of them you go up and up etc.

The ref would get 1.5x the counters of the match.

What do you guys think about it? It is as simple as it gets, has some nice flavor and the challenge aspect is something ASB lacks somewhat. The closest we have to it are Gyms (and many facilities that need you to overcome a series of small challenges and months of patience to get you somewhere), but they have limitations, while here we can make any scenario.
I barely have time to run Pike, let alone move this forward, so if anyone wants to develop/own the concept above, feel free.

If no one picks this in like 2 months I may try to resume it. But I wouldn't count on it. At all.

I have a concept similiar to the above.

Basically, you enter the facility with a team of 3 mons, and then you get thrown random events at you, which can range from regular, run of the mill battles to things like "protect a certain Pokémon for x actions/rounds" or "ko such Pokémon in less than x actions/rounds."

... I will obviously elaborate further, but since as everyone might have seen my activity just kind of died recently. It should get better soonish, at chich time I will give this more time (and do other things I have to do, like things related to tourney and gym...).

So, consider this a placeholder, pretty much.

Frosty

=_=
FYI:

I intend to step back from the RP Committee in the near future. I need to put my focus elsewhere in the community and ASB is taking enough of my time as it is. While the RP Committee is hardly much work (or work at all), I am not capable of checking the Pokestar studios proposals that come in every now and then (if you are waiting on me, please bump the convo, k?) and I feel somewhat responsible of supporting the RP Facilities (looking at Subway to be more specific) and unable to do so.

I also intend to step back from the Pike. At least as manager. The fact that the revamp has stalled for 3 months now and I am not capable of finishing it says enough.

The reason why I am posting here is: I will only move forward with this if I find proper replacements. By "proper" I mean: not bound to do the same after a short while. The Committee I may step down without a replacement (in which case Dogfish44 will probably step in as ref mod. Sorry about that´in advance, btw ._.). But the Pike I intend to "manage" until I get a replacement. Or until Earth explodes. whatever comes first.

So if you are interested and considers yourself qualified, shoot me a PM. If you are already reffing or doing a shitload of stuff, then disregard this, as busy for busy I'd better do this myself.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
I guess I could take on the in game simulator rp job if people wish. I will probably make things a bit similar to TLR in the way that it uses capture mechanics, item mechanics and whatnot. I guess I also have a scenario that we could use as a default. There are a few things that need to be done however. Here is what I am thinking of:
The Mystery of Lostlorn Forest
Difficulty
: Medium
Team Restrictions: Players can bring three Pokémon with them.
Item Restrictions: Can bring up to 33 CC worth of non-held items, can bring up to two "rare items", can only bring three held items.

RP Flow

Scenario 1: Route 16

-Player finds them self just outside of Lostlorn Forest.
-Three beasts (Raikou/Entei/Suicune) descend on the player and a passerby trainer. Sensing danger in the forest, the beasts wish to assist you on your journey. The player must choose one beast to use for the duration of their journey. Whichever one you pick, the other trainer picks the remaining one that performs the best against you and the other beast waltzes off into the distance. The trainer then challenges you to a fight at this point.

Battle Info
Format
: Singles
# Allowed Subs: 2
# Allowed Mega Evolutions: 1
Switch = OK
All Abilities
Items = ON
Player sends out first R1. Opponent orders first R1 then alternates.

Arena: Route 16

Just a typical route. No real restrictions here save a lack of water.
  • Arena Type: Tall Grass
  • No External Water Source.
  • Trainer Pokémon cannot be captured.
-After the battle the player manages their team and moves on into the forest.

Scenario 2: Lostlorn Forest

-Player must take a route either through the forest or a route along the water. Either way leads to an encounter.
--If forest route: 50% Cottonnee/Swadloon/Whirlipede, 50% Petilil/Swadloon/Whirlipede
--If water route: 50% Emolga/Whimsicott, 50% Emolga/Lilligant

Battle Info
Format
: Triples
Switch = OK
All Abilities
Items = ON
The wild Pokémon order first R1 after the player sends out.

Arena: Lostlorn Forest

An archetypal forest setting with water alongside it.
  • Arena Type: Forest.
-After the battle the player manages their team and moves on deeper into the forest.

Scenario 3: Deep Lostlorn Forest

-Player reaches the deepest part of the forest and find what appears to be the beast that the crown trainer used (Actually Zoroark). The beast is hostile and attacks the player. An illusion then appears that forces the player to only send out one Pokémon at once.

Battle Info
Format
: Singles
Switch = OK
All Abilities
Items = ON
Zoroark orders second every round.

Arena: Deep Lostlorn Forest

An archetypal forest setting with water alongside it. There is however, illusions galore and the player must counter these illusions to win.
  • Arena Type: Forest.
  • Zoroark's Illusion ability is altered for this match. Illusion will shield the Pokémon from taking damage while the illusion will assume the type and abilities of the Pokémon it is assuming. The illusion will absorb damage equal to the Pokémon Zoroark is assuming before faltering. If an illusion falters, Zoroark will recover 20 Energy. If Zoroark has no illusion at the end of the round, it will assume a new illusion. Zoroark cannot be captured while assuming an illusion.
  • Zoroark will start the battle assuming the guise of the beast the crown trainer used, before assuming the guise of the beast the player used, and then the beast that was not used altogether. Once all three illusions falter, then Zoroark will no longer assume any illusions.
  • Zoroark is immune to Skill Swap, Role Play, Entrainment, Worry Seed, Gastro Acid, and any other move or ability that can alter its ability. Zoroark is also immune to item removal.
  • If Zoroark's Energy hits 0 or less at any point, instead of being KOed, it will gain the "Regroup" debuff for one action, forcing it to use Chill as its only action—which is unpreventable—for the duration of the debuff.
-After the battle, the simulation is over and the player will get a prize depending on if they captured or defeated the Zoroark. I am thinking of something like an "event" Zorua with a held item, fixed nature and several MC attached if you catch it, and something less than that for defeating the Zoroark.

Pokémon

Crown Legends
TBD
TBD
TBD

Crown Trainer
TBD
TBD
TBD
TBD
TBD

Lostlorn Forest
TBD
TBD
TBD
TBD
TBD
TBD
TBD

Boss
TBD

So yeah. This is meant to somewhat recreate the BW Zoroark event triggered by transferring a "Crown" legend with a Trainer Battle thrown in the mix. If people like it, I can go and develop the RP to be ready to go into alpha/beta mode using this RP for the test runs. This would be what would be called a scenario simulation where we simulate an in-game event that does not just include trainer battles. There would also be single Trainer Battle simulations that would simply simulate trainer battles, an example I will get ready before beta testing. Thoughts on this?

EDIT: A Beta Battle we can use:
Fight Fisherman
Difficulty
: Easy
Team Restrictions: Players can bring four Pokémon with them.
Item Restrictions: Can bring up to 10 CC worth of non-held items, can bring up to one "rare items", can only bring three held items.

Battle Info
Format
: 6v4 Mixed
Switch = OK
All Abilities
Items = ON
Player orders first R1.
Special Effects
: Challenger sends out one Pokémon at a time. Fisherman sends out three Pokémon at a time.

Arena: Magikarp Beach

A beach with a load of Magikarp in the water. Be careful about all the Magikarp splashing though.
  • Arena Type: Water's Edge (Nature Power Bubble Beam)
  • Restrictions: No external grass source.
  • If three Magikarp use Splash at the same time, it will cause an attack called Tidal Wave. This is a 20 BAP Water-type Special Attack coming off the aggregate Sp. Attack Rank of the three Pokémon and hits all opponents. The move also causes the weather to change to Rain for the next four rounds.
*insert profile
*insert profile
*insert profile
*insert profile
*insert profile
*insert profile

Prize: 10 UC + 1× Mystic Water (First Time), 1× Mystic Water (All future victories)

Now to work on core mechanics.

Last edited:

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
Okay I fleshed out some mechanics and will now throw out a formal proposal ready for approval/veto by the RP committee... If they can ever get together, but that is another story. TL;DR warning.

--------------------

Anime-Style Simulator

Ever wanted to kick the stuffing out of the Magikarp Trainer? Ever wanted to go through the Distortion World to try and catch that Giratina like you did in-game? Ever wanted to traverse Mt. Moon with weak Pokémon? Well wait no more. Introducing the Anime-Style Simulator, a Roleplaying facility where you get to simulate* classic events from the cartridge games with ASB Mechanics. While you do not get to actually keep the things you can catch, you do however, get to relieve the moments and get a prize if you win.

*: Not necessarily a 100% Accurate simulation but you get the idea.

Basics

In this RP, there are generally two types of Simulations you can face:
  • Battle Simulations: These are the simplest kind of simulations. These usually pit you against one trainer or even more, typically from in-game. Each battle has special conditions attached to it and an arena that is generally made to suit the trainer. These battles tend to have a heavily restricted backpack and trainers may have items to use on their own Pokémon.
  • Event Simulations: These are generally more complex and longer simulations that simulate specific events from in-game, whether it be capturing a Legendary Pokémon or traversing a dungeon. These simulations tend to have more than one battle and allow captures to happen. These scenarios tend to allow larger backpacks and may have trainer battles in addition to wild encounters.
Each battle in this RP will have its own rules associated with it though the general rules are Switch = OK, All Abilities, Items = ON, One Mega Evolution permitted, Infinite Recoveries/Chills, and Two non-KO Substitutions. Turn Orders are codified in the battles themselves.

Simulations have four difficulty levels:
  • Easy: The easiest of the simulations. Not much thought process needed to win. Tend to have the lowest prizes.
  • Medium: Average difficulty. Some thought process is needed to win and the simulation can pose a challenge but not too difficult. Better prizes than Easy.
  • Hard: These simulations are hard to win. Strategy is generally needed to win and these are not for the inexperienced. The prizes here tend to be very good.
  • Uber: Brutal. You will need to be an ASB god to win these simulations. Some of the most valuable prizes will come from these simulations.
Some simulations will need to have pre-requisites to be filled in order to challenge them.

Gameplay

Battles

There are two distinct types of battles in Anime-Style Simulator:
  • Wild Battles: You fight against Wild Pokémon. These are generally exclusive to Event Simulations and Pokémon found in the wild generally can be captured.
  • Trainer Battles: You fight against trainers with Pokémon of their own. These type of battles appear in both types of simulations and Pokémon owned by trainers cannot be captured. Trainers may carry their own stash of items to use in battle.

Backpack

Trainers can bring a backpack full of items into a simulation. Backpacks allow you to carry an inifinte amount of any item up to the bounded CC cap for that simulation; that is, the total cost of your backpack cannot exceed the total CC cost upon entering the simulation. Held Items and Rare Items cost no CC towards the limit, but you are limited in terms of the Held and Rare Items you bring; generally one Held Item per Pokémon and an arbitrary number of Rare Items. The limits are mentioned in the simulation itself. Healing items that are used during a simulation are lost forever at the end of a simulation.

During this RP, you can use items at any time during your run. There are two different modes for this: Items outside of combat, and Items during combat.

Outside of Combat

Players can use items except for Poké Balls, swap hold items, and toss items away at any time outside of combat. The player can do an unlimited amount of these actions during a non-combat update and have the highest priority, occurring before the outcome of an update.

During Combat

During the middle of combat, with the exception of a trapping phase, the player can either initiate a Capture Phase by throwing Poké Balls or use a consumable item. The capture phase is mentioned elsewhere so only the latter will be explained in detail here.

During combat, the player can forfeit one of their Pokémon's actions to use one item on any Pokémon in their party, active, reserve, or fainted, as a command:
Command said:
Use Item (Command): The player gives up the Pokémon's action to use an item on the appropriate Pokémon. This command, being performed by the player, cannot be restricted by any means and can be used at any time without penalty irrespective of the conditions. If a Revive, Max Revive, or a Sacred Ash is used, the item's revival effect takes place at the end of the round as opposed to immediately.

Command Syntax: Use <Item> (<Target(s)>)

Type: N/A | Command Type: Universal | Target: Any appropriate Pokémon in your party | -- BAP | -- Acc | 0 EN Cost | -- Eff% | Contact: No | 100 Prio | Combo Type: None | Snatch: No | Magic Coat: No
This command can be substituted for and can be used as part of a substitution when the conditions are met, though chance and KO substitutions can only be done the next action due to priority.

Capture Mechanics

This roleplay uses the same capture mechanics as other RP's. To rehash:

Capture HP:

Rather than relying on a chance-based system, ASB Capture Mechanics use a system called Capture HP—which is a stat all Pokémon have—found in the NDA. It is equal to 300 minus the in-game capture rate of the given Pokémon. Capture HP is damaged by Poké Balls and when it reaches zero or less, the Pokémon in question is captured.

When Cumulative Capture Damage > Target Capture HP (CHP), Capture occurs. Poké Ball Damage is always rounded.
Capture Damage (per attempt) = (Ball Strength - FLOOR(Target Current HP / 10 + Max EN Modifier)) * Major Status Modifier - Outside Capture Resistance

Formula Legend:
Ball Strength = Strength of Pokéball Used
Target Current HP = Target's Current HP
Max EN Modifier = 10 (flat) if Target EN = 100, Otherwise 0.
Major Status Modifier is derived by the following table:
(Stronger status modifiers will override weaker ones.)
No Status: x1
Burn: x1.5
Poison: x1.5
Paralysis x1.5
Sleep x2.0
Freeze x2.5

Outside Capture Resistance = (Calculate per target ally individually and sum) FLOOR(Target Allied Pokémon Current HP / 10) + Target Allied Pokémon Max EN Modifier.

Capture Round:

A Player can declare a capture round whenever they would issue orders instead. Within a Capture Round, the trainer throws one or more Poké Balls at the target. If a capture fails to reduce the target's CHP to 0, the targeted Pokémon breaks free and uses a Chill, increasing their energy by 12. If the Pokémon gets back to 100 Energy, they will have a free round to Attack your Pokémon. Rounds do not pass and end of action/round effects do not occur during a Capture Round with the exception of the free round.

Poké Balls that are used during a simulation are lost forever at the end of a simulation.

Shops

Potion: Heals 20 HP.
CC Cost: 1

Super Potion: Heals 40 HP.
CC Cost: 2

Ether: Heals 20 EN

Elixir: Heals 20 EN on three (3) Selected Pokémon (A Pokémon cannot be selected more than once).
CC Cost: 4

Revive: Restores a fainted Pokémon to 50 HP and 30 EN.

Antidote: Cures Poison and Toxic status on one Pokémon.

Awakening: Cures Sleep status on one Pokémon.

Burn Heal: Cures Burn status on one Pokémon.

Ice Heal: Cures Freeze status on one Pokémon.

Parlyz Heal: Cures Paralysis status on one Pokémon.

Full Heal: Cures Poison, Toxic, Sleep, Burn, Freeze, and Paralysis status on one Pokémon.

Dire Hit: Makes the Pokémon's attacks always score a critical hit until the battle ends or the Pokémon is switched out.

Guard Spec.: Prevents the opponent from lowering your Pokémon's stats for four (4) rounds.

X Accuracy: Increases the Pokémon's natural Accuracy stat by two (2) stages.

X Attack: Increases the Pokémon's natural Attack stat by two (2) stages.

X Defend: Increases the Pokémon's natural Defense stat by two (2) stages.

X Sp. Def: Increases the Pokémon's natural Special Defense stat by two (2) stages.

X Special: Increases the Pokémon's natural Special Attack stat by two (2) stages.

X Speed: Increases the Pokémon's natural Speed stat by two (2) stages.

Hyper Potion: Heals 60 HP.
Sell For: 3 CC

Max Potion: Heals 20 HP for each of the Trainer's Pokémon, active and reserve.
Sell For: 5 CC

Full Restore: Heals 40 HP for three (3) selected Pokémon and all status ailments.
Sell For: 8 CC

Max Ether: Heals 40 EN.
Sell For: 4 CC

Max Elixir: Heals 30 EN for each of the Trainer's Pokémon, active and reserve.

Max Revive: Restores a fainted Pokémon to 70 HP and 50 EN.

Lava Cookie / Old Gateau / Casteliacone / Lumiose Galette: Cures Poison, Toxic, Sleep, Burn, Freeze, and Paralysis status on one Pokémon.

Sacred Ash: Restores all currently fainted Pokémon to 70 HP and 50 EN, active and reserve. Furthermore, it heals 50 HP and 50 EN for all Pokémon currently active. Only one Sacred Ash can be brought into a simulation.
Sell For: 15 CC
Cost Information: Cost is for four of the selected ball type.

Standard Balls:

Poké Ball: A Poké Ball used to capture Pokémon.

Cost: 2 | Ball Strength: 18

Great Ball: A great Poké Ball used to capture Pokémon.

Cost: 3 | Ball Strength: 24

Ultra Ball: An ultra Poké Ball used to capture Pokémon.

Cost: 4 | Ball Strength: 30

Premier Ball: An elaborate Poké Ball that grants the captured Pokémon one (1) EC, MC, or AC of the trainer's choice when captured.

Cost: 4 | Ball Strength: 15

Luxury Ball: An extravagant Poké Ball with a reduced catch rate, but that grants the captured Pokémon two (2) EC, MC, or AC of the trainer's choice when captured.

Cost: 6 | Ball Strength: 12

Master Ball: A legendary Poké Ball that will capture any Pokémon without fail. Master Ball ignores the Max EN Modifier and Outside Capture Resistance variables.

Cost: — | Ball Strength: 310

Low-Cost Balls:

Cherish Ball: A Poké Ball that has an increased catch rate against legendary Pokémon.

Cost: 3 | Ball Strength: 12, 36 (Against legendary Pokémon)

Level Ball: A Poké Ball that has an increased catch rate if your Pokémon are more evolved than the target Pokémon. (Single Stage Pokémon are considered Second Stage, First Stage Pokémon out of Two or Three Stage Pokémon are still considered First Stage.)

Cost: 3 | Ball Strength: 36 (One Pokémon Two Stages Greater than Target), 21 (One Pokémon One Stage Greater than Target), 15 (Target Stage Equal)

Nest Ball: A Poké Ball that has an increased catch rate against weaker opponents.

Cost: 3 | Ball Strength: 36 (First Stage or Baby Pokémon), 18 (Second of Two Stages or Single Stage Pokémon), 15 (Third of Three Stages)

Mid-Cost Balls:

Dive Ball: A Poké Ball that has an increased catch rate against Pokémon in the Water 3 Egg Group.

Cost: 4 | Ball Strength: 15, 36 (Against Water 3 Egg Group)

Dream Ball: A Poké Ball that has an increased catch rate against Pokémon that are asleep.

Cost: 4 | Ball Strength: 15, 36 (Against sleeping Pokémon)

Dusk Ball: A Poké Ball that has an increased catch rate against Pokémon encountered in dark environments such as caves or at night time.

Cost: 4 | Ball Strength: 15, 36 (In Cave and Underground Arenas)

Fast Ball: A Poké Ball that has an increased catch rate against particularly fast Pokémon.

Cost: 4 | Ball Strength: 15, 36 (Base Speed Stat (before Natures) >=100)

Friend Ball: A Poké Ball that has an increased catch rate against Pokémon that evolve via happiness

Cost: 4 | Ball Strength: 15, 36 (Pokémon Species that evolve by or evolved from Happiness.)

Heavy Ball: A Poké Ball that has an increased catch rate against particularly heavy Pokémon.

Cost: 4 | Ball Strength: Target Weight Class * 6 (Max Value 36)

Love Ball: A Poké Ball that has an increased catch rate against Pokémon that are affected by an attraction to one of your Pokémon.

Cost: 4 | Ball Strength: 15, 36 (Attracted Target)

Lure Ball: A Poké Ball that has an increased catch rate against Pokémon in the Water 2 Egg Group)

Cost: 4 | Ball Strength: 15, 36 (Water 2 Egg Group)

Moon Ball: A Poké Ball that has an increased catch rate against any Pokémon that evolve by or from Moon Stone, or are in the Fairy Egg Group

Cost: 4 | Ball Strength: 15, 36 (Pokémon that evolve from or by Moon Stone, Fairy Egg Group)

Net Ball: A Poké Ball that has an increased catch rate against Pokémon in the Bug or Water-1 Egg Groups.

Cost: 4 | Ball Strength: 15, 36 (Bug or Water 1 Egg Groups)

Park Ball: A Poké Ball that has an increased catch rate against Pokémon found in City or Industrial Arena.

Cost: 4 | Ball Strength: 15, 36 (In City or Industrial Arenas)

Safari Ball: A Poké Ball that has an increased catch rate against Pokémon fought in tall grass.

Cost: 4 | Ball Strength: 15, 36 (In tall grass)

Sport Ball: A Poké Ball that has an increased catch rate against Pokémon fought in desert areas.

Cost: 4 | Ball Strength: 15, 36 (In Desert areas)

Premium Balls:

Heal Ball: A Poké Ball that heals its target for 50 HP and 50 EN when successful.

Cost: 8 | Ball Strength: 10

Quick Ball: A Poké Ball that has an increased ball strength against Pokémon when thrown earlier in combat. Quick Ball ignores the Outside Capture Resistance variable.

Cost: 10 | Ball Strength: 50, diminishes by 10 for each round of combat to a minimum of 5 (e.g. it's 40 at the start of Round 2, 30 at the start of round 3, etc.)

Repeat Ball: A Poké Ball that has an increased catch rate against Pokémon you have captured at some point in the past, including those species that you used to have but either traded or evolved. Repeat Ball ignores the Max EN Modifier variable.

Cost: 8 | Ball Strength: 15, 40 (Owned Pokémon species)

Timer Ball: A Poké Ball that has an increased catch rate based on the duration of the battle. Timer Ball ignores the Max EN Modifier variable.

Cost: 10 | Ball Strength: 5, increases by 5 for each round of combat to a maximum of 40 (e.g it's 10 at the start of Round 2, 15 at the start of Round 3, etc.)

Rewards

Players

As each battle in Anime-Style Simulator is commensurate with a regular ASB Battle—1 EC, 2 MC, 1 AC or 3 MC—and the standard amount of CC for each battle will be rewarded in each battle during the course of the challenge. The only difference in these battles tends to be turn order. The player does not keep any items or Pokémon they gain during a simulation, but they will gain the prize for that simulation when they win.

If a player forfeits a simulation, then they will forfeit all counters gained in the current battle. Any counters obtained prior to the forfeited battle are retained.

Referees

For battle simulations, the UC payout is 1.5 × Standard counters. For battles with an asymmetric amount of Pokémon per team, assume half the total Pokémon sent out for the format. For battles with an asymmetric number of Pokémon on the field at one time, take the side with the higher amount of Pokémon on the field and assume that format for the bonus payout (e.g. 3v1 is considered Triples). The global UC cap and the Brawl/Melee UC cap does not apply here.

For event simulations, the UC payout is update-based. The amount paid is the exact same as the TLR payout. Specifically:
-2 UC Base
-0.5 UC per Poké Ball thrown
-1 UC per Non-Combat Update / "Free Round" following a capture attempt
-1.5 UC per Combat Update with three or less active Pokémon on the field.
-2 UC per Combat Update with four to six active Pokémon on the field.
-2.5 UC per Combat Update with seven or more active Pokémon on the field.

Available Simulations

Battle Simulations

Magikarp Fisherman Fight

Event Simulations

The Mystery of Lostlorn Forest

Rulings

• Players can only partake in one simulation at a time.
  • To sign up, post indicating which simulation you are taking on, the backpack you are taking in, which Pokémon you are taking in, and what items they are holding if necessary.
  • If a player wins a simulation, then they will be listed as winning that simulation and will not be able to challenge that simulation for two months. They are however, free to challenge other simulations immediately.
  • If a player loses a simulation, then they must wait five days before signing up again. If a player is DQed from a simulation (The Player DQ time is two weeks), then they must wait two weeks before signing up again.
  • Sketch is banned from use unless the encounter specifically allows it.

--------------------

yes i get that the acronym is ass though i might revert to the original idk

Basically this provides another out to healing items and capture mechanics and simulates in-game events. The two scenarios in my previous post will be the beta challenges.

One thing to note is that by approving this, I will also implement a bunch of new items in the process, mainly status curing items, Sacred Ash, and the X-Items. If implemented I will also probably go and implement the new items for TLR. Sacred Ash will probably be limited for balance reasons as well, possibly even outright banned from TLR or cannot be purchased in the non-purchasable list.

This will also test the items in-battle mechanic before I go ahead with it in TLR.

For justification, check Frosty's post at the top of this page.

But yeah. Thoughts RP Committee or in general? Good enough for Beta testing at least or flat out approval or something?

Frosty

=_=
So...feedback regarding ASS, aside from the marvelous name:

For Battle Simulator, we decided to move it to beta testing. Its new, developed enough and interested and the prizes are adequate.

For Event Simulator, we are concerned that it ends up being a poor version of TLR and/or Adventure Battles. Do trainers get to keep the mons they capture? Is this open-source or close-source? Will the prizes compensate for the big investment in CCs (for balls or X-stuff or healing items)? Since its prizes won't be nowhere near the level of legendaries, we fear that it ends up being too much for too little, even if it ends up being shorter than TLRs.

Basically we feel Event Simulator to be more differentiated from TLRs and Adventure Battles, so it fills in an unique niche. It was suggested that you either shorten it greatly and make it like Battle Simulator (make it one big scenario), being careful to not make it too similar to Raids; or you make it similar to Labyrinth (which isn't an active RP anymore). Right it just seems like a small more intense TLR.

It other words it needs tweaks.

If you want you can test Battle Simulator right away while Event Simulator is handled.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
Okay so Frosty @whoever else I need to tag I have finally decided to throw this RP together and get it ready for final approval.

Anime-Style Simulator

Ever wanted to kick the stuffing out of the Magikarp Trainer? Ever wanted to go through the Distortion World to try and catch that Giratina like you did in-game? Ever wanted to traverse Mt. Moon with weak Pokémon? Well wait no more. Introducing the Anime-Style Simulator, a Roleplaying facility where you get to simulate* classic events from the cartridge games with ASB Mechanics. While you do not get to actually keep the things you can catch, you do however, get to relieve the moments and get a prize if you win.

*: Not necessarily a 100% Accurate simulation but you get the idea.

Basics

In this RP, you will usually be pitted you against one trainer or even more, typically from in-game. Each battle has special conditions attached to it and an arena that is generally made to suit the trainer. These battles tend to have a heavily restricted backpack and trainers may have items to use on their own Pokémon.

Each battle in this RP will have its own rules associated with it though the general rules are Switch = OK, All Abilities, Items = ON, One Mega Evolution permitted, Infinite Recoveries/Chills, and Two non-KO Substitutions. Turn Orders are codified in the battles themselves.

Simulations have four difficulty levels:
  • Easy: The easiest of the simulations. Not much thought process needed to win. Tend to have the lowest prizes.
  • Medium: Average difficulty. Some thought process is needed to win and the simulation can pose a challenge but not too difficult. Better prizes than Easy.
  • Hard: These simulations are hard to win. Strategy is generally needed to win and these are not for the inexperienced. The prizes here tend to be very good.
  • Uber: Brutal. You will need to be an ASB god to win these simulations. Some of the most valuable prizes will come from these simulations.
Some simulations will need to have pre-requisites to be filled in order to challenge them.

Gameplay

Battles

In this RP, you fight against mainly trainers with Pokémon of their own. These type of battles appear in both types of simulations and Pokémon owned by trainers cannot be captured. Trainers may carry their own stash of items to use in battle.

Backpack

Trainers can bring a backpack full of items into a simulation. Backpacks allow you to carry an inifinte amount of any item up to the bounded CC cap for that simulation; that is, the total cost of your backpack cannot exceed the total CC cost upon entering the simulation. Held Items and Rare Items cost no CC towards the limit, but you are limited in terms of the Held and Rare Items you bring; generally one Held Item per Pokémon and an arbitrary number of Rare Items. The limits are mentioned in the simulation itself. Healing items that are used during a simulation are lost forever at the end of a simulation.

During combat, the player can forfeit one of their Pokémon's actions to use one item on any Pokémon in their party, active, reserve, or fainted, as a command:
Command said:
Use Item (Command): The player gives up the Pokémon's action to use an item on the appropriate Pokémon. This command, being performed by the player, cannot be restricted by any means and can be used at any time without penalty irrespective of the conditions. If a Revive, Max Revive, or a Sacred Ash is used, the item's revival effect takes place at the end of the round as opposed to immediately. This command can only be used once per round across the entire team.

Command Syntax: Use <Item> (<Target(s)>)

Type: N/A | Command Type: Universal | Target: Any appropriate Pokémon in your party | -- BAP | -- Acc | 0 EN Cost | -- Eff% | Contact: No | 100 Prio | Combo Type: None | Snatch: No | Magic Coat: No
This command can be substituted for and can be used as part of a substitution when the conditions are met, though chance and KO substitutions can only be done the next action due to priority.

Item Shop

Potion: Heals 20 HP.

Super Potion: Heals 40 HP.

Ether: Heals 20 EN

Elixir: Heals 20 EN on three (3) Selected Pokémon (A Pokémon cannot be selected more than once).

Revive: Restores a fainted Pokémon to 50 HP and 30 EN.

Antidote: Cures Poison and Toxic status on one Pokémon.

Awakening: Cures Sleep status on one Pokémon.

Burn Heal: Cures Burn status on one Pokémon.

Ice Heal: Cures Freeze status on one Pokémon.

Parlyz Heal: Cures Paralysis status on one Pokémon.

Full Heal: Cures Poison, Toxic, Sleep, Burn, Freeze, and Paralysis status on one Pokémon.

Dire Hit: Makes the Pokémon's attacks always score a critical hit until the battle ends or the Pokémon is switched out.

Guard Spec.: Prevents the opponent from lowering your Pokémon's stats for four (4) rounds.

X Accuracy: Increases the Pokémon's natural Accuracy stat by two (2) stages.

X Attack: Increases the Pokémon's natural Attack stat by two (2) stages.

X Defend: Increases the Pokémon's natural Defense stat by two (2) stages.

X Sp. Def: Increases the Pokémon's natural Special Defense stat by two (2) stages.

X Special: Increases the Pokémon's natural Special Attack stat by two (2) stages.

X Speed: Increases the Pokémon's natural Speed stat by two (2) stages.

Hyper Potion: Heals 60 HP.

Max Potion: Heals 20 HP for each of the Trainer's Pokémon, active and reserve.

Full Restore: Heals 40 HP for three (3) selected Pokémon and all status ailments.

Max Ether: Heals 40 EN.
Sell For: 4 CC

Max Elixir: Heals 30 EN for each of the Trainer's Pokémon, active and reserve.

Max Revive: Restores a fainted Pokémon to 70 HP and 50 EN.

Lava Cookie / Old Gateau / Casteliacone / Lumiose Galette: Cures Poison, Toxic, Sleep, Burn, Freeze, and Paralysis status on one Pokémon.

Sacred Ash: Restores all currently fainted Pokémon to 70 HP and 50 EN, active and reserve. Only one Sacred Ash can be brought into a simulation.
Sell For: 15 CC

Rewards

Players

As each battle in Anime-Style Simulator is commensurate with a regular ASB Battle—1 EC, 2 MC, 1 AC or 3 MC—and the standard amount of CC for each battle will be rewarded in each battle during the course of the challenge. The only difference in these battles tends to be turn order. The player does not keep any items or Pokémon they gain during a simulation, but they will gain the prize for that simulation when they win.

If a player forfeits a simulation, then they will forfeit all counters gained in the current battle. Any counters obtained prior to the forfeited battle are retained.

Referees

For battle simulations, the UC payout is 1.5 × Standard counters. For battles with an asymmetric amount of Pokémon per team, assume half the total Pokémon sent out for the format. For battles with an asymmetric number of Pokémon on the field at one time, take the side with the higher amount of Pokémon on the field and assume that format for the bonus payout (e.g. 3v1 is considered Triples). The global UC cap and the Brawl/Melee UC cap does not apply here.

Available Simulations

Battle Simulations

Magikarp Fisherman Fight
Brock Fight
Miror B. Fight
Anything else I add at launch. Will most likely include a Master Ball fight and a maybe two more fights (A beginner one at least).

Rulings

• Players can only partake in one simulation at a time.
  • To sign up, post indicating which simulation you are taking on, the backpack you are taking in, which Pokémon you are taking in, and what items they are holding if necessary.
  • If a player wins a simulation, then they will be listed as winning that simulation and will not be able to challenge that simulation for two months. They are however, free to challenge other simulations immediately.
  • If a player loses a simulation, then they must wait five days before signing up again. If a player is DQed from a simulation (The Player DQ time is two weeks), then they must wait two weeks before signing up again.
  • Sketch is banned from use unless the encounter specifically allows it.

Changes
-Event Simulator dropped for now. If I ever get an idea for it I might propose it but I do not.
-Item mechanics have now been changed so you can only use one healing item per round. Furthermore Poké Balls are dropped since event simulations are not going to be a part of this for the forseeable future.

I guess we could be good to go?

Frosty

=_=
Its_A_Random 's Battle Simulator: Data was well-developed and the test run went by smoothly. There were only worry about the difficulty of it, so be sure to keep tweaking it as necessary. Also, Roleplays are suffering from ref shortage, so I'd recommend you consider ways to not be affected by it.

Final Verdict is: Approved.

The Creator/Manager will have powers to create and adjust scenarios and data to his liking, create or change rules, as well as hire refs and accept official challenges, but, at least for the first couple of months, the Committee will supervise the operations closely and will intervene if needs be. Also, Creator/Manager cannot change payments (for players or refs) without first checking with a member of the Committee.

Frosty

=_=
Hi people.

This is a friendly recommendation for our RP owners all-around.

Please, if you haven't done so, please put a paragraph or two about what you expect your refs to do. Which strategies to use and which not to use. So the RP is less of a roulette. If you want your refs to use whatever means necessary to win, state so. If some means are deemed "dickish" and others can be used. etc.

Mind you, I am not saying that you need to put expectation X or Y. Put whatever you feel works for your RP. But put something just so refs don't ref blindly.

Its_A_Random
Dogfish44
Maxim
Frosty

Dungeon of The Unown:
Intro: The Dungeons of The Unown have been locked for centuries, guarded by mystic Pokemon, so that none can get the great rewards inside, OR DIE TRYING. Now, after 100 millenia, its gates are open once more to accept Trainers of both brain and brawn to dare take the treasures within.
Description
*This RP will feature a lot of Storytelling. It is up to the Chronicler (the narrator of the story) to create scenarios that will test the player's mental capabilities to the limit.
*The Dungeon will at least be 10 Rooms and 5 hallways long (This is standard) but can be customized by the players' wishes.
*Each twist and turn will trigger an event/puzzle that the player must solve in the alloted time ("You hear a roar from within this route, do you go forward?) (Unown letter scramble, etc.) to unlock the next door.
*There shall come up multiple times that a player must choose what to do, and that will affect the storyline drastically.

Intro: The Dungeons of The Unown have been locked for centuries, guarded by mystic Pokemon, so that none can get the great rewards inside, OR DIE TRYING. Now, after 100 millenia, its gates are open once more to accept Trainers of both brain and brawn to dare take the treasures within.
Description
*This RP will feature a lot of Storytelling. It is up to the Chronicler (the narrator of the story) to create scenarios that will test the player's mental capabilities to the limit.
*The Dungeon will at least be 10 Rooms and 5 hallways long (This is standard) but can be customized by the players' wishes.
*Each twist and turn will trigger an event/puzzle that the player must solve in the alloted time ("You hear a roar from within this route, do you go forward?) (Unown letter scramble, etc.) to unlock the next door.
*There shall come up multiple times that a player must choose what to do, and that will affect the storyline drastically.
*The end of the RP (when standard/custom no. Of hallways/rooms have been met) will always in The Hall of Three Truths, where the final payout can be determined. The player must battle one last time on a 6v6 format against the Master of The Dungeon. The payout is halved when he/she loses, not affected when tied, and multiplied by 1.5 if won (Hence, Three Truths).
*Each RP will need A player, A ref (in case the chronicler cannot/is not able to), and a chronicler.
*The ref and chronicler pay-out is dependent on the player feedback (yes, this is covered later). If unsatisfied, the payout system is [(No. of halls+rooms)(normal payout)]*1. If satisfied, then [(No. of halls+rooms)(normal payout)]*1.5. If the player really enjoyed it, then [(No. of halls+rooms)(normal payout per Pokemon battled)]*2. This is for both the ref and chronicler. A ref/chronicler does not get double pay.
*If a player surrenders in the middle of the RP/ All Pokemon faint, then his earnings so far is "stolen" (Halved), and he cannot challenge again for 1 month.
*Nurse Joys will appear randomly (Some fake/battlers, some will only heal one Pokemon/Status, some provide full healing.)
*There will come times when the ref will make up consequences during damage calculations (I.E. The floor giving up, the ceiling falling, stampede, etc.)
*Rooms are customized to the inhabitants' advantage (like gyms.).
*The rooms will contain at least 3 pokemon to battle, but never more than 8.
*Standard opening is a Pokemon-related riddle.
*A player may bring up to 6 pokemon, such as it is in-game.
*Standard Dungeon Player payout is [(No. Of halls+rooms cleared)(Standard pay-out)]

----------
-Have a sense of adventure!
-Creative in writing prose.
-Accurate. In both calcs. And detail
-Must target winning in simulations. Or at least making it hard.

Frosty
@Whoeverelse I need to tag.

Last edited:

Frosty

=_=
Hi.

Two announcements:

1) Exclaimer will replace me on the RP Committee. Effective immediately. Treat her well, k?

2) I am also stepping out of Pike leadership. I was to release Silver Pike and Gold Pike for what, an year? and I won't be able to do it. New person in charge should handle it. This should get the RP Committee busy ^_^ (sorry). If you are interested in taking it, I suggest you bug Maxim , Dogfish44 or Exclaimer

Carry on.

Last edited:
Battle Factory

The Battle Factory is the ultimate in intelligent battling and design. With a format that forces you to act quick on your feet and make the best of what you get, only the most skilled (and lucky!) battlers can make it through this gauntlet of randomly determined battles.

Basic premise of this Roleplay is very much like the Emerald Frontier version, where a player has to fight their way through a series of trainers using a selection from a random assortment of rental Pokemon. They will then fight trainers in a series of 3v3 Singles, who will also be using rental Pokemon. After each battle, a Trainer can trade away a rental for one of the defeated opponent's Pokemon, though only one trade per defeated trainer.

This is a rough idea of the flow of this roleplay:

• A player can signup for a "rank" or "level" (Similar to Battle Hall, though with less options) that they are permitted to enter.
  • In the OP of the challenge, the ref will generate six Pokemon, each with one ability. These Pokemon will have around 30-40 moves and will always have a pre-determined item, like how Battle Hall does with their data. This will include LCs or NFEs if we decide to make a rank for that, and there is no option to turn items off.
  • Once Pokemon have been picked by the player, the ref will RNG 3 Pokemon of the same level and use those in a 3v3 Singles, 2/3 (Undecided) subs, and 5 chills/2 recoveries. Player will always order first. All Pokemon data is revealed at the start of a 3v3.
  • At the end of a 3v3, a player may trade one Pokemon of theirs for one of the opponent's Pokemon.
  • This will repeat for 5 battles, and if all 5 are won, a grade prize will be rewarded. If implemented, a rank increase could be rewarded, similar to Battle Pike.
  • Rewards for beating individual battles will probably be CC + small amount of UC. Grand Prize for a win streak will probably be a good sized UC pile, scaling up with higher ranks.
Very simple roleplay, though some pros/cons I want to point out.

- Would be immediately accessible to everybody, even the newest players.
- Despite being RNG-based, the RNG is skewed in the player's favor more often than not, making it slightly less frustrating for the player, though at the cost of the ref. We could fix this to make the playing field even, if need be.
- Players will always have the same set of tools available, highlighting skill more than preparation.
- Simple and familiar format.

- The amount of data we need to make for this is a fuckton. More so than any other roleplay. We can borrow a bit from Battle Hall, though that's still not enough for this roleplay if we want to give it staying value and provide new experiences for almost every run.
- A possible 15v15 run is bound to be exhausting for any referee.

Example data is below.

Heracross (
♂)

Type: Bug / Fighting
Ability: Swarm
Item: Expert Belt

Nature: Adamant
Stats:
HP: 100
Atk: 6 [+]
Def: 3
SpA: 1 [-]
SpD: 3
Spe: 85
Size Class: 3
Weight Class: 4
Base Rank Total: 19

Attacks:
Arm Thrust
Bullet Seed
Night Slash
Tackle
Leer
Horn Attack
Endure
Feint
Aerial Ace
Chip Away
Counter
Fury Attack
Brick Break
Pin Missile
Take Down
Megahorn
Close Combat
Reversal

Bide
Flail
Focus Punch
Pursuit
Revenge
Rock Blast

Toxic
Protect
Smack Down
Earthquake
Dig
Shadow Claw
Giga Impact
Stone Edge
Rock Slide
Substitute

Iron Defense
Knock Off
Low Kick

Dogfish44 , Maxim , would you like to discuss this idea further before I make a more finalized version of this? I imagine the roleplay itself will be easy, but the data will be a massive pain in the ass. I'd be willing to do the grunt work for most of that if need be.

Here's a little thing that Toon and I have been working on. We've talked to Exclaimer a bit about it, but I figured I should post here to get some more feedback.

Orre Colosseum

Summary
The challenger faces 3 trainers in a row, each of whom have their own arenas with effects specifically tailored to the trainer's team. Though the opponents have pre-determined teams with somewhat weaker Pokemon, the Bring X Pick Y format and biased arenas make this a challenging encounter that is difficult for the player to effectively counter-team. In addition, the fact that the challenger's Pokemon aren't fully recovered in between matches forces the player to carefully conserve their HP and EN to survive and defeat the boss at the end of the series.

Challenge Flow
  1. Players select a Series that they are eligible to challenge. Players can challenge Series 1 at any time, but must defeat the prior Series to challenge higher levels.
  2. Players post their challenge with the appropriate number of Pokemon determined by the Series and their equipped items. If an arena effect allows the player to equip additional items, the player can use any applicable item for that battle only, regardless of whether or not they own it.
  3. The priority for refs taking challenges is: [Subref] > [Resuming a Paused Challenge] > [First-Time Challengers] > [Normal Challenges]
  4. At the end of each individual battle, all participating Pokemon restore an amount of HP and EN specified by the Series. All volatile status effects are healed and all lost, consumed, or destroyed items are recovered, but major status effects (Sleep, Paralysis, Freeze, Burn, and Poison) remain. Toxic Poison's damage is reset.
  5. Players and referees claim rewards at the end of each individual battle.
  6. At the end of Battle 1 or Battle 2, the referee gives the player a choice between continuing the challenge or pausing. Players can choose to pause their challenges between battles to come back to it at a later date. When they resume their challenges, they have higher priority in the queue and use the same team that they had left. If the player wishes to change their team or challenge a different Series, then the paused challenge is forfeited.
  7. If a player defeats a Series, they may make another challenge immediately.
  8. If a players loses a match or is DQed (Player DQ is one week), they must wait one week before making another challenge.
  9. If the first or second battle in a Series ends in a draw, rule the player the loser.
  10. If the final battle in a Series ends in a draw, rule the party that took themselves out or used Destiny Bond the loser. If neither party took themselves out, then check to see who was KOed first, rule that party the loser. If both were KOed at the same time, rule the challenger the loser.
Rewards
Players receive the standard amount of CC and AC/MC/EC/KOC for participating Pokemon in each individual battle. Also, players receive additional prizes for each battle they defeat, and a prize for the first time they defeat a particular Series.
If a player forfeits a Series or is DQed, then they will forfeit all rewards gained in the current battle. Any rewards obtained prior to the forfeited battle are retained.

Referees
Refs receive 1.5 times the standard UC payout for each individual battle, with decimals rounded normally. Refs who consistently go over DQ (Ref DQ is four days) risk losing the 1.5 UC multiplier. If referees don't have the time to post good orders in a consistent and timely manner, they are urged to find a subref.

Referees should do their best to challenge the player, but should refrain from using "dick moves." This is meant to be a challenging but fun experience for both the player and ref. General rule of thumb: If your strategy is going to make half of IRC throw a brick at you in rage, think a little harder.

Format: B5P3 (Player) vs B4P3 (Ref) Singles
Post-Battle Recovery (Unfainted Pokemon): 30 HP / 30 EN
Post-Battle Recovery (Fainted Pokemon): 0 HP / 0 EN
Theme: Items
Series Reward: 20 UC
Fight Black Belt Matezoide
Reward: 1 of Spinda, Mankey, Emolga, or Cutiefly
Series 1, Battle 1

Battle Info
# Allowed Subs
: 3
Switch = OK
All Abilities
Items = ON
Player sends first R1.

Arena
: Orre Colosseum

Located deep within the deserts of the Orre region, the Orre Colosseum hosts a highly exclusive tournament known only among the elite.
  • All unencumbered Pokemon with 17 BRT or less receive the effects of their signature item if it is either Rare Candy or Everstone.

Spinda [M] [Dizzy]
Types: Normal

Abilities: Own Tempo / Tangled Feet / Contrary

Nature: Brave (+Atk, -Spe, -10% Evasion)

Stats:
HP: 90
Atk: 3 [+]
Def: 2
SpA: 2
SpD: 2
Spe: 52 [-]
Size Class: 2
Weight Class: 1
Base Rank Total: 12

EC: N/A
MC: 0
AC: 5/5

Attacks:
Assist
Baton Pass
Brick Break
Counter
Dig
Disable
Double-Edge
Drain Punch
Encore
Endure
Facade
Fake Out
Fire Punch
Flail
Focus Punch
Frustration
Hyper Voice
Ice Punch
Low Kick
Metronome
Protect
Psychic
Psycho Cut
Rest
Retaliate
Return
Rock Slide
Shadow Ball
Skill Swap
Sleep Talk
Snatch
Substitute
Sucker Punch
Teeter Dance
Thrash
Thunder Punch
Toxic
Trick
Trick Room
Wish

Primeape [M] [Steve]
Types: Fighting

Abilities: Vital Spirit / Anger Point / Defiant

Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)

Stats:
Atk: 4
Def: 3 [+]
Spe: 95
Weight Class: 3
Base Rank Total: 17

EC: 6/6

Attacks:
Acrobatics
Aerial Ace
Assurance
Attract
Beat Up
Bide
Body Slam
Brick Break
Bulk Up
Bulldoze
Captivate
Close Combat
Confide
Counter
Covet
Cross Chop
Curse
Defense Curl
Detect
Dig
Double-Edge
Double Team
Dual Chop
Dynamic Punch
Earthquake
Encore
Endeavor
Endure
Facade
Final Gambit
Fire Punch
Fling
Focus Blast
Focus Energy
Focus Punch
Foresight
Frustration
Fury Swipes
Giga Impact
Gunk Shot
Headbutt
Helping Hand
Hidden Power
Hone Claws
Hyper Beam
Ice Punch
Iron Tail
Karate Chop
Leer
Low Kick
Low Sweep
Meditate
Mega Kick
Mega Punch
Metronome
Mimic
Mud-Slap
Natural Gift
Night Slash
Outrage
Overheat
Payback
Pay Day
Poison Jab
Power-Up Punch
Protect
Psych Up
Punishment
Rage
Rain Dance
Rest
Retaliate
Return
Revenge
Reversal
Rock Climb
Rock Slide
Rock Smash
Rock Tomb
Role Play
Round
Scratch
Screech
Secret Power
Seed Bomb
Seismic Toss
Skull Bash
Sleep Talk
Smack Down
Smelling Salts
Snore
Spite
Stone Edge
Strength
Submission
Substitute
Sunny Day
Swagger
Swift
Take Down
Taunt
Thief
Thrash
Thunder
Thunderbolt
Thunder Punch
Toxic
Uproar
U-turn
Vacuum Wave
Work Up

Emolga [F] [Larkin]
Types: Electric / Flying

Abilities: Static / Motor Drive

Nature: Rash (+SpA, -SpD)

Stats:
Atk: 3
SpA: 4 [+]
SpD: 1 [-]
Spe: 103
Size Class: 1
Base Rank Total: 16

EC: N/A

Attacks:
Acrobatics
Aerial Ace
Agility
Air Slash
Astonish
Attract
Baton Pass
Charge
Charge Beam
Charm
Confide
Covet
Cut
Discharge
Double Team
Electro Ball
Electroweb
Encore
Facade
Flash
Fling
Frustration
Helping Hand
Hidden Power
Ion Deluge
Iron Tail
Knock Off
Last Resort
Light Screen
Nuzzle
Protect
Pursuit
Quick Attack
Rain Dance
Rest
Return
Roost
Round
Secret Power
Shock Wave
Signal Beam
Sleep Talk
Snore
Spark
Substitute
Swagger
Tail Whip
Tailwind
Taunt
Thunder
Thunderbolt
Thunder Shock
Thunder Wave
Tickle
Toxic
U-turn
Volt Switch
Wild Charge

Ribombee [M] [Max]
Types: Bug/Fairy

Abilities: Honey Gather/Shield Dust/Sweet Veil

Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)

Stats:
Atk: 1 (-)
SpA: 4 (+)
Spe: 124
Size Class: 1
Base Rank Total: 17

Attacks:
Absorb
Acrobatics
Aerial Ace
Aromatherapy
Attract
Bug Buzz
Calm Mind
Confide
Dazzling Gleam
Double Team
Draining Kiss
Dream Eater
Energy Ball
Facade
Fairy Wind
Frustration
Hidden Power
Infestation
Leech Life
Light Screen
Nature Power
Pollen Puff
Protect
Psych Up
Psychic
Quiver Dance
Reflect
Rest
Return
Roost
Round
Safeguard
Silver Wind
Sleep Talk
Solar Beam
Struggle Bug
Stun Spore
Substitute
Sunny Day
Swagger
Sweet Scent
Thief
Toxic
U-turn
Fight School Girl Kimberly
Reward: 1 of Exeggcute w/ Yache Berry, Mudkip w/ Rindo Berry, Salandit w/ Shuca Berry, or Pawniard w/ Chople Berry
Series 1, Battle 2

Battle Info
# Allowed Subs
: 3
Switch = OK
All Abilities
Items = ON
School Girl Kimberly sends first R1.

Arena
: Orre Colosseum

Located deep within the deserts of the Orre region, the Orre Colosseum hosts a highly exclusive tournament known only among the elite.
  • All Pokemon with a 4x weakness may hold a type-resist Berry in addition to its normal item. This Berry is immune to Knock Off and cannot be swapped away or destroyed by any means.

Exeggutor-Alola [F] [Coco]
Types: Grass / Dragon

Abilities: Frisk / Harvest

Stats:
Atk: 5 [+]
SpA: 5
Spe: 39 [-]
Size Class: 7
Weight Class: 8
Base Rank Total: 20

Attacks:
full movepool

Swampert [F] [Groot]
Types: Water / Ground

Abilities: Torrent / Damp / Swift Swim (Mega)

Stats (Normal):
HP: 110
Atk: 5 [+]
SpA: 3
Spe: 52 [-]

Stats (Mega):
HP: 110
Atk: 7 [+]
Def: 4
SpA: 3
SpD: 4
Spe: 60 [-]

EC: 9/9

Attacks:
Level Up
Ancient Power
Aqua Tail
Attract
Avalanche
Barrier
Bide
Bite
Blizzard
Body Slam
Brick Break
Bulldoze
Captivate
Confide
Counter
Curse
Defense Curl
Dig
Dive
Double-Edge
Double Team
Dynamic Punch
Earth Power
Earthquake
Echoed Voice
Endeavor
Endure
Facade
Fling
Focus Blast
Focus Punch
Foresight
Frustration
Giga Impact
Growl
Hail
Hammer Arm
Headbutt
Hidden Power
Hydro Cannon
Hydro Pump
Hyper Beam
Ice Ball
Ice Beam
Ice Punch
Icy Wind
Iron Tail
Low Kick
Mega Kick
Mega Punch
Mimic
Mirror Coat
Mud Bomb
Muddy Water
Mud Shot
Mud-Slap
Mud Sport
Natural Gift
Outrage
Power-Up Punch
Protect
Rain Dance
Refresh
Rest
Return
Roar
Rock Climb
Rock Slide
Rock Smash
Rock Throw
Rock Tomb
Rollout
Round
Scald
Secret Power
Seismic Toss
Sleep Talk
Sludge
Sludge Wave
Snore
Stealth Rock
Stomp
Stone Edge
Strength
Substitute
Superpower
Surf
Swagger
Tackle
Take Down
Toxic
Uproar
Waterfall
Water Gun
Water Pledge
Water Pulse
Whirlpool
Wide Guard
Yawn

Salazzle [F] [Joanna]
Types: Poison / Fire

Abilities: Corrosion / Oblivious

Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)

Stats:
Atk: 2 [-]
SpA: 5 [+]
Spe: 117
Weight Class: 2

Attacks:
Full movepool

Bisharp [M] [Enforcer]
Types: Dark / Steel

Abilities: Defiant / Inner Focus / Pressure

Nature: Careful (+SpD, -SpA)

Stats:
Atk: 5
SpD: 4 [+]
Spe: 70
Base Rank Total: 20

Attacks:
Aerial Ace
Assurance
Attract
Brick Break
Confide
Cut
Dark Pulse
Dig
Double Team
Dual Chop
Embargo
Facade
False Swipe
Feint Attack
Fling
Focus Blast
Foul Play
Frustration
Fury Cutter
Giga Impact
Grass Knot
Guillotine
Headbutt
Hidden Power
Hone Claws
Hyper Beam
Iron Defense
Iron Head
Knock Off
Leer
Low Kick
Low Sweep
Magnet Rise
Mean Look
Metal Burst
Metal Claw
Metal Sound
Night Slash
Payback
Poison Jab
Power-Up Punch
Protect
Psycho Cut
Pursuit
Quick Guard
Rain Dance
Rest
Retaliate
Return
Revenge
Rock Polish
Rock Smash
Rock Tomb
Role Play
Round
Sandstorm
Scary Face
Scratch
Secret Power
Shadow Claw
Slash
Sleep Talk
Snarl
Snatch
Snore
Spite
Stealth Rock
Stone Edge
Substitute
Sucker Punch
Swagger
Swords Dance
Taunt
Thief
Thunder Wave
Torment
Toxic
X-Scissor
Fight Cipher Admin Lovrina
Reward: 1 of Swablu w/ Altarianite, Skitty w/ Moon Stone, Bounsweet w/ Queen's Brooch, or Nidoran-F w/ Life Orb
Series 1, Battle 3

Battle Info
# Allowed Subs: 3
Switch = OK
All Abilities
Items = ON
Player sends first R1.

Arena: Orre Colosseum

• Altaria can Mega Evolve without the use of a Mega Stone. Mega Altaria can receive the effects of Rare Candy (boosting Atk, Def, and SpA ranks).
  • Knock Off does not affect Female Pokemon.
  • Rivalry's BAP penalty when attacking an opposite-gender Pokemon is negated.

Altaria [F] [Angel]
Types: Dragon / Flying (Normal) | Dragon / Fairy (Mega)

Abilities: Natural Cure / Cloud Nine / Pixilate (Mega)

Nature: Quiet (+SpA, -Spe, -10% Evasion)

Stats (Normal):
Spe: 69 [-]

Stats (Mega):
Atk: 4
SpA: 5 [+]
Spe: 69 [-]
Base Rank Total: 22

Attacks:
Aerial Ace
Agility
Air Cutter
Astonish
Attract
Body Slam
Bulldoze
Captivate
Confide
Cotton Guard
Dazzling Gleam
Disarming Voice
Double-Edge
Double Team
Draco Meteor
Dragon Breath
Dragon Claw
Dragon Dance
Dragon Pulse
Dragon Rush
Dream Eater
Earthquake
Echoed Voice
Endure
Facade
Feather Dance
Fire Blast
Flamethrower
Fly
Frustration
Fury Attack
Giga Impact
Growl
Haze
Heal Bell
Heat Wave
Hidden Power
Hone Claws
Hyper Beam
Hyper Voice
Ice Beam
Incinerate
Iron Tail
Mimic
Mirror Move
Mist
Moonblast
Mud-Slap
Natural Gift
Ominous Wind
Outrage
Peck
Perish Song
Pluck
Power Swap
Protect
Psych Up
Pursuit
Rage
Rain Dance
Refresh
Rest
Return
Roar
Rock Smash
Roost
Round
Safeguard
Secret Power
Sing
Sky Attack
Sleep Talk
Snore
Solar Beam
Steel Wing
Substitute
Sunny Day
Swagger
Swift
Tailwind
Take Down
Thief
Toxic
Twister
Uproar
Wonder Room

Delcatty [F] [Sweetie]
Types: Normal

Abilities: Cute Charm / Normalize / Wonder Skin

Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)

Stats:
Atk: 4 [+]
Spe: 70
Weight Class: 3
Base Rank Total: 16

Attacks:
Assist
Attract
Baton Pass
Blizzard
Body Slam
Calm Mind
Captivate
Charge Beam
Charm
Confide
Copycat
Cosmic Power
Covet
Defense Curl
Dig
Disarming Voice
Double-Edge
Double Slap
Double Team
Dream Eater
Echoed Voice
Endure
Facade
Fake Out
Fake Tears
Feint Attack
Flash
Foresight
Frustration
Giga Impact
Grass Knot
Growl
Headbutt
Heal Bell
Helping Hand
Hidden Power
Hyper Beam
Hyper Voice
Ice Beam
Icy Wind
Iron Tail
Last Resort
Mimic
Mud Bomb
Mud-Slap
Natural Gift
Payback
Play Rough
Protect
Psych Up
Rain Dance
Rest
Retaliate
Return
Rock Smash
Rollout
Round
Safeguard
Secret Power
Shadow Ball
Shock Wave
Simple Beam
Sing
Sleep Talk
Snore
Solar Beam
Strength
Substitute
Sucker Punch
Sunny Day
Swagger
Swift
Tackle
Tail Whip
Thunder
Thunderbolt
Thunder Wave
Tickle
Toxic
Uproar
Wake-Up Slap
Water Pulse
Wild Charge
Wish
Work Up
Zen Headbutt

Nidoqueen [F] [Dearest]
Types: Poison / Ground

Abilities: Poison Point / Rivalry / Sheer Force

Nature: Quiet (+SpA, -Spe, -10% Evasion)

Stats:
Spe: 66 [-]
Base Rank Total: 18

Attacks:
Level Up
Aerial Ace
Aqua Tail
Attract
Avalanche
Beat Up
Bide
Bite
Blizzard
Body Slam
Brick Break
Bubble Beam
Bulldoze
Captivate
Charm
Chip Away
Confide
Counter
Crunch
Curse
Cut
Defense Curl
Detect
Dig
Disable
Double-Edge
Double Kick
Double Team
Dragon Pulse
Dragon Tail
Drill Run
Dynamic Punch
Earth Power
Earthquake
Echoed Voice
Endure
Facade
Fire Blast
Fire Punch
Fissure
Flamethrower
Flatter
Fling
Focus Blast
Focus Energy
Focus Punch
Frustration
Fury Cutter
Fury Swipes
Giga Impact
Growl
Headbutt
Helping Hand
Hidden Power
Hone Claws
Horn Drill
Hyper Beam
Ice Beam
Ice Punch
Icy Wind
Incinerate
Iron Tail
Mega Kick
Mega Punch
Mimic
Mud-Slap
Natural Gift
Outrage
Pay Day
Poison Fang
Poison Jab
Poison Sting
Poison Tail
Power-Up Punch
Protect
Pursuit
Quash
Rage
Rain Dance
Reflect
Rest
Return
Roar
Rock Climb
Rock Slide
Rock Smash
Rock Tomb
Round
Sandstorm
Scratch
Secret Power
Seismic Toss
Shadow Ball
Shadow Claw
Shock Wave
Skull Bash
Sleep Talk
Sludge Bomb
Sludge Wave
Smack Down
Snore
Stealth Rock
Stone Edge
Strength
Submission
Substitute
Sunny Day
Super Fang
Superpower
Supersonic
Surf
Swagger
Tackle
Tail Whip
Take Down
Taunt
Thief
Thunder
Thunderbolt
Thunder Punch
Torment
Toxic
Toxic Spikes
Uproar
Venom Drench
Venoshock
Water Gun
Water Pulse
Whirlpool

Tsareena [F] [Lovely]
Types: Grass

Abilities: Leaf Guard / Queenly Majesty / Sweet Veil

Nature: Jolly (+Spe, +8% Accuracy, -SpA)

Stats:
Atk: 5
Spe: 83 [+]
Base Rank Total: 21

Attacks:
full movepool

Last edited:

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
ASB Alola Island Challenge

Welcome to the region of Alola! Many years have passed since a young challenger came to the region and brought peace to our island community. While a Gym League and Elite 4 was established at the time, the tradition of the Island Challenge and their masters, the Kahunas, has fallen to the wayside. But thanks to a recent re-ignition in the history of these islands, we are looking to bring back the Island Challenge, where any Pokemon battler can compete in Island Trials, battle Totem Pokemon, challenge our four Kahunas, and find their calling on these islands. They may even discover something about the mysterious wormholes of Alola that started popping up all those years ago.

1. The Four Kahunas
The region of Alola is led by four powerful trainers: the kahunas. These trainers specialize in one specific type of Pokemon. Although they do serve as the final combatant for each island's challenge, their primary role is that of a manager. It is the kahuna's job to choose how many captains they will have, who will be their captains, developing their island trials, and providing feedback to their captains. Furthermore, kahunas are responsible for refereeing matches that other captains cannot. In a way, they serve as the glue for their island's challenge.

Kahunas may select their type of preference for the Grand Trial, as long as it does not overlap with the typing of any kahuna who has served that type for longer. All Grand Trials have the following format:

Hard Rules:
4v4 Singles (3A) / 5v5 Doubles (2A)
2 Recovers / 5 Chills per Pokemon
Items = On, pre-equipped, may dual wield with Z-Crystal
Abilities = All
Switch = OK
Megas = 0
Subs = 3
ASB Arena
Kahuna sends out first
All Kahuna Pokemon have an Aura
Soft DQ: 3 Days
40 Move Limit​

The Grand Trial is meant to judge the resolve and ability of challengers. The battlers are slightly longer than most competitive matches, but Pokemon may dual equip both an item and a Z-Crystal. Finally, Pokemon have their movepools reduced to forty moves for all Grand Trials (and all aspects of the Island Challenge). Pokemon with more than 40 moves may choose which ones to remove when sending in to battle; going over this limit may result in automatic disqualification and temporary banning from all Island Challenge events. Mega Evolutions are banned from the Island Challenge. Finally, all Grand Trial matches must be refereed by one of the kahuna's captains. The kahuna may only accept two matches at any given time, and may only be challenged when the challenger has defeated all of their captains' island trials. To give the kahuna some teeth to battle with, each of their Pokemon have an aura (see Totem Pokemon below).

2. The Role of Captains
Captains are hand selected by the four kahunas. ASB members are welcome to contact a specific kahuna directly or post in the Island Challenge Main Thread their credentials for captainhood. All Captains should be moderately competent as battlers, have great ideas, and be active enough to referee. Captains may only referee for other captains and their kahuna of their particular island. Again, the kahuna will serve as the sub-referee should their Island Challenge need it. Any given island may have from one to five captains, depending on the length and difficulty of their Island Trials.

Once selected by a kahuna, it is the role of the captain to choose their type of preference, as long as it does not overlap with the typing of any kahuna, or any captain who has served that type for longer. They will then need to develop their Island Trial, getting feedback from their kahuna and potentially other captains. They will serve as the referee for their particular Island Trial. Their trials may consist of a wide variety of challenges. They may be a simple series of three battles (Sophocles) or an extremly RP-heavy event (Kiawe) similar to a TLR. These trials may or may not contain items, provided to aid or harm challengers. Finally, Captains will take the role of Totem Pokemon for a final challenge of their Island Trial.

3. The Island Trials
Once selected to perform an Island Trial, trainers will bring three Pokemon to the Island Trial with items pre-equipped. The following rules are either hard (meaning they cannot be edited by the Captain) or soft (meaning they can be edited by the Captain, but must be consistent across all challengers):

Hard Rules:
Bring 3 Pokemon (3A)
Abilities = All
Switch = OK
Megas = 0
40 Move Limit

Soft Rules:
Subs = 3
ASB Arena
Island Trial sends out first​

Again, it is the responsibility of the captain running the trial and the kahuna to create a balanaced and enjoyable trial. Trials are purposefully vague, as they are a creative project meant for the captains to dream up and discuss with their kahuna. Utilize history's old trials to develop a trial you will enjoy giving! Captains will referee their entire trial. Captains may only take two challengers at any given time.

4. Totem Battles
Once an island trial is completed, trainers are immediately transitioned into a Totem Battle, without the opportunity to heal their Pokemon. The Captain of that island trial will take the role of all totem / ally Pokemon, while their fellow captain(s) and kahuna will referee their match. Totem Battles will follow the following format:

Hard Rules:
Bring 3 Pokemon (3A) Totem Battle
Abilities = All
Switch = OK
Megas = 0
Subs = 3
ASB Arena
Captain sends out first
40 Move Limit​

Ally Pokemon spawn immediately after any round where an Ally Pokemon has been absent for the entire round. They are typically NFE Pokemon or weak FE Pokemon, but this will be determined by the specific Kahuna and Captain of that island trial. Totem Pokemon also have an aura, meaning that they receive significant buff(s) upon entering the battle. This may include increasing rank stats, adding an extra ability, adding extra moves, and adding boosts to any stat of the Totem Pokemon. These boosts should be significant enough to provide a serious threat to the challenger (think buffing a Pokemon into a Tier 1 Threat). The Totem Battle ends immediately once the Totem Pokemon is KO'd.

5. Prizes
Defeating an Island Trial will reward trainers with battle counters, the Z-Crystal of that trial captain's type, and one Ferry Pass. Referees are awarded 1.5x bonus UC upon completing the refereeing of a match, and given extra rewards based on W/L ratio (TBD). How this parses out exactly will need to be determined based off of other RP's compensation. Using a Ferry Pass resets the user's challenge of that particular island, meaning they must go through the entire challenge (trials, totems, and kahuna) before gaining another Ferry Pass.

The Ferry Pass can be utilized to take a trip to Aether Paradise. This is an RP-based event that will give the trainer an attempt to investigate the curious wormholes of Alola, and the treasures that lie within...

6. Rationale and Formation
Thank you for reading thus far! Pokemon Sun and Moon have been very inspiring to me, and I think it provides some great opportunity for us to shake things up here in ASB. I am extremely interested in your feedback, so please post it here. If this goes through, I would like it to be of similar significance to the ASB Gym League, where we will receive our own [TAG] and thread in the Network Center. Below is a bit of rationale about why I've set things up how I did. If you disagree or have a better idea, please state your thoughts.

The primary theme I want with the ASB Alola Island Challenge is that of camaraderie and mentorship. Kahunas serve as mentors to captains, while providing them feedback on their challenges. Since the kahuna and captains must referee one another's matches, it gives them a team mentality to run their island's challenge smoothly. Kahunas are also the ones selecting their captains, meaning that they are welcome to let go one of their captains that is not paying their dues as a referee. Also, since there are four islands, this will provide some competition between each of the islands; kahunas and captains will be looking to provide a challenge (to gain more UC), yet easy enough to entice challengers to take on their island challenge (as opposed to another one).

Another theme is that of a different battle format from what we usually see in ASB. 40 Move Limit is something we've toyed around with in multiple tournaments, and I'd like to make it the official format for something powerful in ASB. It also encourages the use of Z-Crystals, which are currently pretty outclassed by other items. Finally, banning Mega Evolutions will provide some more unique teambuilding strategies compared to other faculties in ASB.

All data would be posted in a sign-up thread for all Grand Trials, Island Trials, and particular rules. Each island will have a post by their kahuna that contains all of this information and is updated with Totem Pokemon, specific auras, and used Pokemon. None of these Pokemon are rentals, meaning they need to be provided by the captain / kahuna.

Finally, I will select the original four kahunas for this based off of applications. This may or may not include a battle. While it may seem enticing to be a kahuna and to lead an island, you also need to consider the managerial requirements of the position. They must make sure their captains are making balances trials and Totem Pokemon, while also battling some intense fights. They also need to referee and serve as a sub-referee when their captains are absent. Finally, they do not have any of the creative potential that captains do. I want captains to have a lot of creativity over their island trials. It would be easy to make something canned, but I like the idea of making it really flexible for the sake of mixing things up. Once the four kahunas have been selected, they will determine their captains (invitation / tryouts / whatever they decide) and move from there.

Last edited:

JJayyFeather

Drifting~
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I really like this idea. Here's some of my thoughts on it:

- Please for god's sake remove the movepool limit. Why are we punishing users for having well trained Pokemon? It makes sense in the case of rental tournaments and what not, but the challengers train their own Pokemon, so it makes no sense to tell them they have to limit their movepool. That's not a thing I want to see become more common in non-Rental settings because a big pull for me (at least personally) towards ASB was the fact that there was the large flexibility of movepool to work with, and limiting movepools down to 40 moves, you often miss a lot of that, especially in a setting that seems quite difficult honestly.

- To a point made by Zarator in IRC, this seems almost like an alternative RP to the gym system we already have... Which makes this question obvious: Can a user be both a gym leader AND a Kahuna/Captain?

- I love the flexibility of the Captains, but I think that flexibility is a bit worrying for 1 primary reason: Difficulty. People have some wildly creative minds and different understandings as to what can be considered balance. In addition to reviewing with their Kahuna, I'm pretty sure you need to take more of a role in evaluating the effects assigned to the various Island Challenges.

- Prizes I'll leave to RP Committee/Mods when they get here, but I will say I think Ferry Passes (assuming they lead to UBs) need to be tied to Grand Trials, not the individual Island Challenges.

15:28:38 <ooraloo> hm, what happens when a captain/kahuna wants to challenge their own island

Last edited:
I really like your idea, Birkal. I believe I did say on #irc, only a few weeks ago, "I wish we had an Island Challenge system rather than a Gym League, at this point"... but I never expected it could come true!

I already mentioned a few points in chat, but I'd like to advance further questions and suggestions here:

1) Should people be allowed to hold a position in the Gym League (gym leader) AND in the Island Challenge?

Pros argument: There are not THAT many talented ASBers (or ASBers, period) around. Just looking at the sign ups for the latest tournament, we are around 35-40 active players, at most. If one were to count (without overlaps) the spots for gym leader (18), plus the island challenge ones (4 kahunas and up to 16 captains), that'd comprise the entire population of ASB - maybe even more! Not to mention that we're already having trouble as it is to fill all the spots in the Gym League... I'm not sure it would be a good thing if several more gyms were to go vacant all of a sudden

Cons argument: Judging from how you described them, both the Kahuna and the Captain positions are pretty hands-on. They require quite a significant investment not only in terms of battling (like a gym leader), but also in terms of development and reffing. Can we be sure somebody may be able to withstand such a burden while not giving up on his gym leader's duties? Plus, don't we run the risk (especially in the case of Kahunas) of the gym leader basically "doubling up", making his kahuna challenge almost a carbon copy of his gym battle? That sounds less than exciting to me (then again, one could argue that even if they were to pick another type, they would end up being a carbon copy of THAT type's gym... but that's more debatable).

2) What exactly would the Aether Paradise be, in your plans?

Should we expect something akin to a TLR? Something like a gift (similarly to Victini in the Gym league)? Something in-between? Something totally different? I understand this is not what you may want to focus on, but I believe it'd be best to at least iron out a direction before releasing this thing

3) How much time would people have for applications? And what would applications really look like?

Building up a team in a certain type takes quite a bit of time, even with the 40 move restriction. So, how much time would people be allowed, between being chosen as a candidate and asked to start hosting battles? Not to mention that, given the extensive skills (ref, battling, development) required to be a Captain or Kahuna, I guess the application would look quite different from the one for a gym leader. Could you say something more about it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)