Format Discussion Scarlet/Violet Random Battle Sets

is it possible to give gogoat rock slide as a potential option to roll over earthquake? i think having an option to hit flying and bug types while still hitting fire

pokeblade101

is a Community Contributor
RBTT Champion
is it possible to give gogoat rock slide as a potential option to roll over earthquake? i think having an option to hit flying and bug types while still hitting fire
This was actually brought up in this thread already but Gogoat already functions optimally with its set even if predictable. Rock Slide will make it less consistent and more wallable than EQ. You give the option to hit Flying and Bug but makes it worse against everything else. Plus Tera Ground works quite well with EQ.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Can we give Salazzle and Tropius less stally movesets as an option?
Tropius no, that's staying as it is, it doesn't really have anything remotely worthwhile otherwise.

Salazzle, maybe. The threat of plot could definitely make the Toxic set more effective, and vice versa. We aren't removing the Toxic set, though, it works wonders. We'll discuss the addition of a potential second set among the staff.

You seem to have a lot of trouble with "stall", so here's a tip: don't switch out, and don't be afraid to sack a Mon to get a good turn in. Sometimes the best play is to let the poisoned/seeded Mon faint so you get a turn where they aren't behind a sub. Switching around infinitely to mitigate damage will only harm you more unless you have Regenerator, Wish, or, like, a Giratina

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback and I agree that the toxic set is good and that another set could bolster it's efficacy.

My frustrations stem more from an enjoyment perspective but I'm only 1650 so not turning down advice lol.

Let me know if it would be helpful to suggest move sets and appreciate all the work y'all are doing to make randbats so amazing!

Could something be done regarding the balance of teams? Lately I have been battling against teams where the opponent has four or even five uber tier mons whereas I'm stuck with barely workable ones, and viceversa.

Just right now I battled against someone with Chi-Yu, Calyrex Shadow, Iron Bundle, Houndstone and Venomoth with Quiver Dance. The only reason I even stood a chance was because my team generated Pex with Haze and Noivern with Boomburst, but this team composition is just threat after threat.

I will also support the addition of more hazard control. This gen is the only one where I have notoriously felt the lack of it in many battles, with many of them coming down to the opponent just laying multiple layers of spikes/stealth rock/sticky web and me unable to do anything. Hustle Delibird is just dead weight, I would rather have it with Rapid Spin at all times.

Celever

no longer hibernating
Could something be done regarding the balance of teams? Lately I have been battling against teams where the opponent has four or even five uber tier mons whereas I'm stuck with barely workable ones, and viceversa.

Just right now I battled against someone with Chi-Yu, Calyrex Shadow, Iron Bundle, Houndstone and Venomoth with Quiver Dance. The only reason I even stood a chance was because my team generated Pex with Haze and Noivern with Boomburst, but this team composition is just threat after threat.

I will also support the addition of more hazard control. This gen is the only one where I have notoriously felt the lack of it in many battles, with many of them coming down to the opponent just laying multiple layers of spikes/stealth rock/sticky web and me unable to do anything. Hustle Delibird is just dead weight, I would rather have it with Rapid Spin at all times.
With regards to hazard control, we are making a concerted effort to make hazard control as prevalent within Gen 9 Rands as it reasonably can be, while being careful not to turn every Pokémon that learns a hazard control move into deadweight should the opponent not roll hazards. Rands, by its random nature, will always have a degree of chance in its design. Your opponent could get hazard setters that because of matchup you can't prevent from setting many hazards up with, and your Delibird can be the Choice Band variant. But in another battle, your opponent could roll no hazard setters at all, and your Delibird in its Spin variant is therefore useless and essentially forces you into a 5v6. Bear in mind that while Delibird is a traditional shitmon, many many more Pokémon with hazard control are serious threats when not forced to use a moveslot on Defog or Rapid Spin. Delibird is kind of the lowest denominator case, and it can still put in legitimate work with its Band set (since level balancing puts it at a great speed tier and power level for the format).

The latest batch of changes emphasised increasing hazard control commonality in the format even more, the notes of which can be found in other rands resources. But you have to understand that GameFreak themselves literally did not put in a proportionate amount of hazard control to the generation compared with good hazard setters. The likes of Oricorio have no business running Defog in any format ever made, but run it in Gen 9 rands just to put our thumb on the probability of getting a bad hazard matchup a little bit.

With respect to "uber tiered mons", the rands council recently took a vote on tier restrictions and voted against it. Smogon tiers have little relevance to randbats because we level balance the format based on winrates. This means a Pokémon with 150 more base stats than another Pokémon isn't necessarily stronger than it in rands, because the difference in level evens the actual stats out in a random battles game. Sunflora has the strongest Grass-Type attack in the format because of this, for example. Chi-Yu, Calyrex-Shadow, Iron Bundle, Houndstone, and Venomoth is a formidable team, primarily because of the last 4 (Chi-Yu is kinda mid in rands because it's frail and slow with level balancing taken into account) but when teams are randomised, there's always the chance that someone is going to get 6 good-in-rands Pokémon and the opponent is going to get 6 bad-in-rands Pokémon, no matter how much level balancing based on winrates we do. We can't do anything about that, because as we balance the format every month with levels based on winrates, the "best" and "worst" Pokémon in the format constantly change, so we can't restrict team gen based on being "good" or "bad". Smogon tiers are a particularly poor way to balance rands because some Ubers, like Palafin and Espathra, are genuinely underwhelming in rands and are below average Pokémon to roll. Let's say you can only roll 2 Ubers and you get Palafin and Espathra, who are both pretty bad here... you're getting cheated out of potentially getting Koraidon and Flutter Mane who both are actually pretty good in rands.

We have multiple failsafes in check, such as restricting the number of Pokémon on your team that share a type so it is harder to just be swept by an opposing setup sweeper. But it can never be a sure science, because even teambuilt Pokémon isn't close to a sure science where you can ever account for every answer in a metagame such as OU, with human input and thought. Rands includes every fully-evolved Pokémon and Pikachu, meaning every team is susceptible to being matched up against far more Pokémon than is reasonably possible within any given tier, and trying to counter every fully-evolved Pokémon in the game through any amount of pseudo-randomisation will always fall flat as a result of the sheer number of strategies and matchups they have to go up against.

Makes sense, although I would still like some sort of restriction for high winrate mons...

In an entirely different matter, lead Gothitelle shouldn't be a thing. There's situations where you are against a Heracross or Chi-Yu in which you are forced to switch out of course, but against anything that doesn't immediately threaten it it's just a matter of tricking them the Choice Scarf, at which point you either permanently crippled anything that requires its item or just instantly make the game a 5vs6. Everytime I have gotten lead Scarf Gothitelle I have been able to gain a very significant lead, if not guarantee a win.

Last edited:

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Makes sense, although I would still like some sort of restriction for high winrate mons...

In an entirely different matter, lead Gothitelle shouldn't be a thing. There's situations where you are against a Heracross or Chi-Yu in which you are forced to switch out of course, but against anything that doesn't immediately threaten it it's just a matter of tricking them the Choice Scarf, at which point you either permanently crippled anything that requires its item or just instantly make the game a 5vs6. Everytime I have gotten lead Scarf Gothitelle I have been able to gain a very significant lead, if not guarantee a win.
Lead Gothitelle and Dugtrio were also voted on and allowed to stay. Please read the Council Minutes for more information

with home releasing in a few days and them saying transfer moves from gen 8 will stay could we add gen 8 transfer moves to movepools? sorry if i'm jumping the gun on this

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
with home releasing in a few days and them saying transfer moves from gen 8 will stay could we add gen 8 transfer moves to movepools? sorry if i'm jumping the gun on this
Once we have a compiled list of everything that's changed AND the update is out, we'll get to work on updating randbats accordingly if necessary. We will not be doing anything until then.

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
i get the removal situation beign a bit dire and all, but something like this seems a little contradictory. is there any specific reason why kleavor in particular can roll defog, or is it just because its defog and therefore should be rollable?
1685559305626.png

Celever

no longer hibernating
i get the removal situation beign a bit dire and all, but something like this seems a little contradictory. is there any specific reason why kleavor in particular can roll defog, or is it just because its defog and therefore should be rollable?
View attachment 521419
Hazard removal is on basically everything that can learn it, yeah. Defog isn't actually half bad on it, as it very easily forces switches to let you use Defog for free and then sets rocks back up just by hitting the opponent hard (and Rock-Type is a pretty great offensive type this gen of rands). Probably wouldn't survive on Kleavor if DLC gave us a Rapid Spin and Defog move tutor or something, but hey.

I will still die on the hill that the main mon for who having Defog is a tragedy is Oricorio, anyway :psysad:

Celever

no longer hibernating
case for adding grass knot to pikachu's mix of moves? it can't do any good against water/ground rn
We have noted this before, and ultimately its other moves are too important to not have just to help Pikachu against 3 mons. Especially considering out of those, Grass Knot only actually OHKOs Quagsire (since Gastrodon and especially Whiscash have low weight, therefore Grass Knot has a low base power that the quad super-effectiveness doesn't entirely make up for).

bodi

Banned deucer.
still shocked that Relic song is nowhere to be seen in Meloetta sets like the past gens will you consider a physical set for it ???

Celever

no longer hibernating
still shocked that Relic song is nowhere to be seen in Meloetta sets like the past gens will you consider a physical set for it ???
The issue is its lost moves. It lost Return and never learned Double-Edge meaning its best physical Normal-Type STAB is the 70BP Facade (only other options are Quick Attack and Giga Impact lol). It also lost Knock Off, which is huge considering its other moves would be Close Combat, Facade, and Relic Song. Its last slot NEEDS to hit Ghost-Type supereffectively and the only move it can do that with is Shadow Claw, which is of course much weaker than Knock Off is when the opponent has an item.

If it had a usable moveset we would include it, but especially with how level-balancing works it's pretty much impossible. Because they are not actually different forms, just an in-battle transformation, the two Meloetta would use the same winrate, and due to the power disparity between Aria and Pirouette, where Aria is much better and stronger, having its winrate tanked by Pirouette would inevitably result in Aria being broken and therefore bad for the format. So Meloetta would be a 50% chance of being broken, or a 50% chance of being terrible.

Not sure if already suggested, but why not give magearna stored power on its boosting set? That set is extremely powerful and is wrecking ou right now (I know randbats doesn't follow ou exactly but it is still a testament to its effectiveness)

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
Not sure if already suggested, but why not give magearna stored power on its boosting set? That set is extremely powerful and is wrecking ou right now (I know randbats doesn't follow ou exactly but it is still a testament to its effectiveness)
Non-stab stored power isn't particularly strong, and you would need to use both shift gear and calm mind once for it to even be of equal power to Flash Cannon. While it can become stronger eventually, it's usually a win-more kind of thing in a Random Battles setting, because if youve used both shift gear and calm mind, you're likely already on your way. Magearna prefers the consistency of Flash Cannon on its double dance set, and the Weakness Policy set prefers having Iron Head/Thunderbolt for when its Weakness Policy doesnt activate.

I do believe that 5 scarfers in a randomly generated team is overkill... will you do something to prevent stuff like this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)