Shiny HUNTING?

Is shiny hunting (for random pokemon in the field) something you guys ever do? Is there a method to such madness?

Yeah, I sometimes do this when bored, but only seem to come across them when I'm EV training, or rushing somewhere to get a berry >.> When I do it, I tend to just train up one of my high level pokemon in the grass with the kind of pokemon I want that is shiny.

I shiny hunt. Not for random pokemon out in the wild, but I soft reset or breed. Apparently, getting a high chain with the PokeRadar increases your chances of finding a shiny Pokemon, but there is no proof of that yet.

I shiny hunt. Not for random pokemon out in the wild, but I soft reset or breed. Apparently, getting a high chain with the PokeRadar increases your chances of finding a shiny Pokemon, but there is no proof of that yet.

Hm... Interesting. I suppose it would be hard to prove such a thing.

Are you soft resetting D/P? If so, how?

Hm... Interesting. I suppose it would be hard to prove such a thing.

Are you soft resetting D/P? If so, how?
Yes, by pressing L, R, Start, and Select simultaneously.

OmegaDonut, SPPf isn't working for me right now, and probably won't for a while. Could you give me a summary of what it says? I'm fairly interested in what it has to say, but I have to go to bed soon.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is a translation someone provided there of a Japanese guide to the subject:

Shuko said:
this is the best Translation I can do, using the one you've provided, Raistlin. I welcome anyone to help me fill out the parts I didn't understand, lol.

1) Buy lots of Max Repels
2) Buy lots of your favorite Pokeballs to capture with.
3) Register the Pokeradar
4) Set the Poketch to the Pokeradar Counter (Poketch App #20)
5) As your first Pokemon, use one with a move that has lots of PP, and can easily kill the chain Pokemon in one hit. Also useful are Pokemon with the skills like Magnet Pull, which can affect the variety of Pokemon you encounter. Also make sure to have plenty of PP Recovery items.
6) Pokemon with Spore or other status-inflicting moves are helpful.
7) Aim to catch a Pokemon that is not the one in the second place in your party, or have nothing in that place at all.

================================================== =======
While chaining, don't do the following or it will break:

1) Don't escape.
2) Don't allow the Pokemon to flee.
3) Don't step out of the Pokeradar range.
4) Don't ride the Bicycle.
5) Don't save the game.

Start the chain by:
Enter a grassy area and use a max repel:
?
[pokeradar] motion
?
Make sure there are four or more bushes shaking. If so, move to the one that is farthest from you, taking care not to step on any of the others or step outside the Pokeradar range.

(Never step right above you, as the bush there may sometimes shake and won't be as visible, leading to your not seeing it)

Don't step on a bush close to you, as this has a high possibility of breaking the chain.

? Repeat ?
Faint it in one shot.
?
When the shaking bushes don't present a favorable position (are too far beyond the Pokeradar range, or are too close to you, for example), avoid them, and walk in safe grass for fifty steps, until you can use the Pokeradar again.

Choose a good set of bushes and enter the farthest one. When you run out of Max Repel, use another one.

Remember how many Pokemon you chain. When you've chained 40 or more, begin to use the Pokeradar without entering shaking bushes until you see one with a brighter sparkle, and a change of color.

Enter that bush, and you will find a Shiny. Catch it. Battle End.

The Pokeradar may continue to shake afterwards. You may save the game if you want, or you can continue trying for more shinies.

Several shaking types:
Position of shaking is close:
If your desired bush is beyond the Poketore range or is in one of the corners of the grass, don't step on it. Instead, "redo" the POkeradar. When pacing to reset the radar, it's better to pace to the left and the right rather than up and down.

To determine which shaking bushes are good and which are bad:

The shaking which is good:
Farther away than 3 bushes (it is distant)
It's not on a corner
It shakes the same way as the initial encounter did.

The shaking which is bad:
Closer than 4 bushes (it is close)
It's in a corner
It shakes differently than the initial encounter did.

Look at this grid to determine which areas are safe to step on (I think this is what they mean):
33 |333 | [3] <- Not safe to step on
-------------
2 |222 | 234
-------------
2 |111 | 234
-------------
21 |You | 123 |[4] <- Not safe to step on
-------------
2 |111 | 234
-------------
222|223 | [4] <- Safe to step on
-------------
333|333 | [4] <- Safe to step on
-------------
Wall wall wall wall wall wall wall wall

When your path to the shaking bush is slanted, and you can see it distantly, there are three bushes together. This is a bad grouping.
Next time around, the probability of that corner having a shaking bush is not very high.
(Why is it so easy to stop a chain all the time?)

If you need a break:
Avoid a situation where, when you come back, you won't remember where the shaking bushes were, or where you are in the chain.

0) Write it down before you go. make a map if need-be.
1) Reset the Pokeradar
2) Make sure your DS is plugged into the AC outlet.
3) To keep it from burning out the battery too quickly, put your DS in sleep mode.

* Note that after you come back, there will be no strain on your chain, but it's still just as easy to break it as before!

Bad conditions to create Pokeradar Chains:
Sandstorms, the Ashfall, the Rain and the Snow can hinder your view of the shaking bushes.
Because of that it is not easy to increase your chain, since you will have trouble finding the shaking spots, and noting any changes in color.
However, if you change the angle at which you view the top screen, you can make it easier to spot the movement.
You can also try adjusting brightness if you're using a DS Lite.
Before using the Pokeradar, spend at least one second focusing your eyes on the grass. That way the movement will be more noticeable, and the weather won't bother you as much.

Weather can change, and there are some times when the weather in these places will turn more favorable.
http://www18.atwiki.jp/pokemondp/pages/166.html

Be prepared for the capture:

Make a long enough chain.
If you begin to reset the Pokeradar too early, there are usually a lot of times when it will not yield a shiny.

Remember that if you're hunting a Pokemon that has some sort of evasion mechanism (explosion, escaping, whirlwind, etc.) to be prepared for it.

'Master ball'

It is the safest choice. But don't be TOO eager to get rid of it. If you think you can capture it without this ball, do so. You may need it for others.
In addition there are also times when the enemy self-destructs in the large explosive and reaction damage
Before the shiny appears, you should try catching one of the others in the chain to make sure it won't throw a monkey wrench into your plans. You never know what tricks they may have up their sleeves, unless you keep your Pokedex handy.

(* For example, Graveller is a prime candidate for self-destruction! Take care when chaining him!)

4 bushes rules:

If only you follow these rules, you'll be all right!

1) Enter a shaking bush at least four bushes away.
2) There is one bush shaking in 1 place and maximum of four bushes
3) If there are 1 spaces around, one comes to the point of shaking and suddenly it falls silent, avoid it!

In addition:
* The Poketore range includes every bush that is shaking in a given instance. Don't scroll the screen beyond any of them, or the chain will end. You can leave the bushes, as long as you don't break this rule.

* When you have to apply a new Max Repel, don't enter into battle that time around. Reset the Pokeradar.

* Keep an eye on your Pokeradar chain counter app. If you look at the number after a battle and see that it has increased, you've continued your chain.

* When the TV broadcasts a swarm of a specific Pokemon, chaining of that Pokemon is much easier to do! Pay attention for the program "Sinnoh Now." The show comes on on the 15th minute of every hour.

* Real time does not affect the Pokeradar. It's okay to take a break if you need one.

* Concentrate after every battle to make sure you don't lose track of the shaking bushes. You may want to cut out outside distractions like music or noise too.

* There are several variations of shaking you'll see while chaining. It's important to note which ones mean which kind of Pokemon.
A short shake - usually means common pokemon that occur frequently.
A long shake - usually means the Pokemon is rarer, and its occurrence isn't as frequent (like ditto, for example).

* The shiny grass lasts a little longer than other things, (with an optical sort of glimmer)
Small shaking: two quick fluffing motions
Big shaking: Dry (?)
Forcing shaking: Brighter and longer shaking. Easy to mistake for Shiny shaking.
A shiny's shaking: Glimmers twice.
There are also a couple of youtube videos of people encountering their shinies with the PokeRadar. Here's one.

Yeah, I found out the hard way that the edges are bad after breaking a 37 larvitar chain... with a LARVITAR. I was like... wth??!?!

For breeding is shiny determined when the egg is created, or when you take it? If the first you could softset for better IVs on the shiny. I've never hatched a shiny so I have not been able to test.

Im guessing its when you pick the egg up but how you gonna know till it hatches im sure someone around here knows but im pretty sure the IV's are set when you grab the egg

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For breeding is shiny determined when the egg is created, or when you take it? If the first you could softset for better IVs on the shiny. I've never hatched a shiny so I have not been able to test.
I'm pretty certain no one knows this for sure, seeing how hard it is to find a particular wild shiny, let alone hatch one.

I have been lucky enough to hatch a shiny, but not in such a condition that I could test this. I had started breeding some Mudkips before I went on my one-year hiatus from Pokemon, so my GBA remained untouched for a long time until I got back into it again. When I got back into again, I was going to hatch the last few eggs so I could release them, and - sparkle! - one was shiny.

The lucky Mudkip is Adamant with 15\21\28\31\26\31 IVs, btw.

Dawn mentions that shaking patches that are farther away from you have a better chance of being rare or something like that.

It's determined when you take, not when it is created.

Yeah, I found out the hard way that the edges are bad after breaking a 37 larvitar chain... with a LARVITAR. I was like... wth??!?!
and to tallgeese i think your chain broke because you let the last patch of grass that shook get off screen which resets the pokeradar instantly which is ridiculous but it does that

Oh hrm, that's possible. I guess the patches are actually determined before starting the battle then? Cause you can tell if you broke your streak by looking at the poketch app right before the battle starts...

Screw this i had a 44 chain goin with some voltorbs and wattya know a STUPID wingull...........gah
I feel your pain. I was trying for a shiny shinx, had a 50+ chain going on and suddenly I got a random Sentret.

And don't even get me started on Elekid, been trying to chain them, not even with the intention of getting a shiny, but in hopes to snatch a Electrizer. Yet I can't get a chain past 6 before a damn Buizel ruins the chain.

Very very frustrating.

No I mean like if you watch all the grass patches when you activate the pokeradar some shake longer then others. If you let the last one that shook get off screen that resets your chain. Thats more then likely what broke your chain of larvitars

What I do now once I get a good high chain is jus run back and forth and set the pokeradar off again and again looking for that elusive shiny patch being careful not to walk up, because you can and will run into a patch you did not see thanks to your characters big ol head. Ive done this numerous times.

For all you people hunting for a Shiny Shinx, where are you doing it? I was in Route 202 in the small grass path closest to Jubilife, but I was afraid that the trees might block my view if a shiny indeed show up somewhere around the bottom patches, so I switched with the huge grass patch on Route 204. As of yet though, I've yet to get a chain over 10 there.

No I mean like if you watch all the grass patches when you activate the pokeradar some shake longer then others. If you let the last one that shook get off screen that resets your chain. Thats more then likely what broke your chain of larvitars
Ehh that sounds possible but I doubt it... they all shake about the same amount of time. Not to mention I went into a shaking patch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)