Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Is there any reason the Underdog thread hasn't been revived? With all the various unranked-to-ranked VR nominations we've been getting, of...variable quality, I believe a space to discuss what people have been making work and how would be valuable.

Is there any reason the Underdog thread hasn't been revived? With all the various unranked-to-ranked VR nominations we've been getting, of...variable quality, I believe a space to discuss what people have been making work and how would be valuable.
To revive the thread, you got to post in it. I think its still open. Who knows, maybe I'll post in it later this weekend to revive it.
Edit: To clarify, we have an Underdog thread, but its been a while since last post

Is there ever a situation in which I click Z-Dragon dance instead of Devestating Drake with Zygarde? Late game, I'm guessing if there's a weakened Lando in front of me and there is frail stuff in the back like Koko? After watching that crazy Z-stealth rock lando play I've been thinking about mons with "dual" z-moves.

Is there ever a situation in which I click Z-Dragon dance instead of Devestating Drake with Zygarde? Late game, I'm guessing if there's a weakened Lando in front of me and there is frail stuff in the back like Koko? After watching that crazy Z-stealth rock lando play I've been thinking about mons with "dual" z-moves.
If your attack or speed is way low due to intimidate or sticky webs.
Edit: Z Dragin Dance removes all lowered stats.

Is there ever a situation in which I click Z-Dragon dance instead of Devestating Drake with Zygarde? Late game, I'm guessing if there's a weakened Lando in front of me and there is frail stuff in the back like Koko?
Only in really specific situations. Webs is really the only time when that makes sense, but even then, just nuking down the pokemon is usually the better play. If you still have pokemon, then switching out is also the more optimal play

What are the advantages of running Megachomp over regular Garchomp?
I mean, it's better on every front except speed and the inability to run an item. As for specific KOs, here are some I can think of off the top of my head:

Offensively
+2 252 Atk Garchomp Fire Fang vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 252-298 (73.4 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery
+2 252 Atk Garchomp-Mega Fire Fang vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 308-364 (89.7 - 106.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery
+2 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 88 Def Venusaur-Mega: 255-300 (70.2 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Garchomp-Mega Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 88 Def Venusaur-Mega: 310-366 (85.3 - 100.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 288-339 (73 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Garchomp-Mega Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 351-414 (89 - 105%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery (not exactly reliable but with minor chip it kills)
+2 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tapu Fini: 288-340 (83.9 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Garchomp-Mega Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tapu Fini: 352-415 (102.6 - 120.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Garchomp Fire Fang vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 162-192 (48.6 - 57.6%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Garchomp-Mega Fire Fang vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 198-234 (59.4 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Defensively
252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 359-426 (100.2 - 118.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Garchomp-Mega: 302-364 (84.5 - 101.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Ice Shard vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 343-406 (95.8 - 113.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Garchomp-Mega: 286-343 (80.1 - 96%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
(There's definitely a lot more but you get the picture lol)

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
Does the council think that there's an uber pokemon that could be suspect tested?
Not necessary in short terms, but I would like to know if someone could have a chance

A question out of curiosity.

Is Thundurus-I irrelevant in OU this generation only because of Tapu Koko, or are there other factors that pushed it into that spot?

Is Thundurus-I irrelevant in OU this generation only because of Tapu Koko, or are there other factors that pushed it into that spot?
I wouldn't call it irrelevant tbh, it has a similar niche to Bisharp and it's definitely a viable replacement for him on HO teams like webs etc. I think it's mostly the fact that it faces heavy competition and is mostly outclassed by Koko yes, obviously there's other small factors like Ash Gren being everywhere that doesn't really help it either.

Koko is definitely the biggest drag on its viability, but there’s also the fact that this gen, Dark-types are unaffected by Prankster-boosted priority, and Twave had its accuracy nerfed as well as its speed-reducing effect nerfed. Previously Thundurus enjoyed running shit like Twave + 3 attacks which allowed it to be a strong attacker that could also serve as a panic button for numerous setup sweepers. This set’s now complete trash, leaving its only use as an extremely niche Defiant mon.

Are other HP types besides Ice viable, like Fire for M-Scizor or Ground for Heatran?
Yes, it depends on the Pokemon it's on. Ice and Fire are by far the most viable, but others can be used. Poison can be used on Keldeo to hit Bulu also. Steel can sometimes be used on Ribombee to hit Mega Diancie, Ground can be used on Volcarona for Heatran, Electric can be used to hit Pelipper or Mantine, Grass can be used to hit Gastrodon etc.

Last edited:
Leading off my previous question, would it be better to run HP to lure those specific threats or have better neutral coverage?
It's depends, if something causes a problem to your team as a whole and you specifically think, I need to lure this, then go for it. Generally neutral coverage is better due to the low base power of hidden power.

If Knock Off hits a substitute, does it get the damage boost from hitting a mon holding an item, like Leftovers for example? Even though the item is not knocked off?

If Knock Off hits a substitute, does it get the damage boost from hitting a mon holding an item, like Leftovers for example? Even though the item is not knocked off?
Yes; https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-713179475

252 Atk Kartana Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Suicune: 81-96 (20 - 23.7%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252 Atk Kartana Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Suicune: 121-143 (29.9 - 35.3%) -- 24.6% chance to 3HKO

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Is Hippowdon, defog M altaria and toxapex a solid defensive core? I'm lurking with that core
Could you expand a bit on your reasoning behind pairing those specific mons together? They are ok individually (other than pex) but I don't really see why you put them together

Could you expand a bit on your reasoning behind pairing those specific mons together? They are ok individually (other than pex) but I don't really see why you put them together
Hippowdon can handle the common kokolucha core, as well as most physical attackers such as Lando, lopunny and provides Rocks. m altaria handles mainly tapu bulu and non smart kartana, provides defog and can function as Ash ninja check, while pex absorb toxic spikes and wall half the meta, mainly payapa pex wall psychium volcarona, but i'm thinking replace the pex for steela to not get bodied by Lele and anda a poison type to absorb tspikes
Thoughts?

Hippowdon can handle the common kokolucha core, as well as most physical attackers such as Lando, lopunny and provides Rocks. m altaria handles mainly tapu bulu and non smart kartana, provides defog and can function as Ash ninja check, while pex absorb toxic spikes and wall half the meta, mainly payapa pex wall psychium volcarona, but i'm thinking replace the pex for steela to not get bodied by Lele and anda a poison type to absorb tspikes
Thoughts?
The core seems like a above average anti meta,although I feel as it will struggle as a sort of defensive team without being able to bounce off rocks. Sure Mega Malt has defog but it is a very underwhelming mega to use atm.So much of the meta can wall it or check it , and some sets can catch malt on switch such as prot gunk gren. Unlike other foggers it has a hard time getting in often due to how little pokemon it is able to wall compared to other foggers. As for the core's weaknesses, Z-tini can be a possible threat with stored power,max spdef pex paya will live and fire off a toxic, but you will need to maintain health. Next up is specs Blacephalon. Due to no black sludge on pex shadow ball is going to 2 hit ko, and even if you had it if he crits or gets a drop its GG.LO kyurem black is another major.problem as you have no reliable way of even beating it let alone counter it.Although pex can toxic it you have to stall, and win every 50/50 if you want a decent chance to win.Tapu Lele is still a problem. Without atleast a way to stall out poison reliably or create 50/50 to stall poison you still lose. Hoopa-unbound is the most important threat I'd say. Choice band,z nasty plot,even specs if Malt is weakened which it should be as you have to defog multiple times due to no bounce can win easily. Lastly Sd kartana with smart strike runs through you completely. The only counterplay I could see is have whirl hippo with flame malt so it can't set up, and if you are using toxic you probably arent using haze, and if you are you are no toxic spikes. I advise replacing mega Altaria with mega Sableye and if you want to add quagsire to wall set up threats as it still walls koko lucha.Although quagsire loses to specs dazzle.
Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)