Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Is Tapu Fini’s tournament use indicative of a higher viability than its current placement?
Quick answer: No
Long answer:
Tournament usage, and usage in general isn't a reason for a pokemon to rise, which is noted in the OP. It's incredibly helpful for showcasing arguments for pokemon to rise if that pokemon does work and makes a splash in the game its in, but on its own, its not indicative of a rise. This in general goes into any argument for a pokemon with rising usage, as that alone doesn't show whether a pokemon is wholly good, but just shows that Tapu Fini filled a niche that no other pokemon could feasibly fill, and thus was used other other candidates on the teams it was on. While some may interpret that as a rise in overall viability, it should be noted that mons like Diggersby who aren't in the viability rankings at all, were still used in SPL. And while win rates aren't everything, it should also be noted that Tapu Fini lost about 66% of its games, suggesting that it didn't make an overall huge splash in SPL. So no, sizeable usage for Tapu Fini is not indicative of a rise

Last edited:

HCJB

Banned deucer.
If I use Mean Look, and then switch out, is the opponent's pokemon still trapped? If that's the case, was thinking of using Scarf Koko to lock in particular pokemon that I could then set up on - or something like that. Might go Nature's Madness with Scarf, I'm barely using my Defog support on it so it seems like a wasted slot.

If I use Mean Look, and then switch out, is the opponent's pokemon still trapped? If that's the case, was thinking of using Scarf Koko to lock in particular pokemon that I could then set up on - or something like that. Might go Nature's Madness with Scarf, I'm barely using my Defog support on it so it seems like a wasted slot.
No, they are not trapped anymore if u switch

To be more precise, they are still trapped on the turn that you switch out, but will be free after that.

1. When u use Knock Off, does the opponent take damage first or lose their item first?

2. If they take damage first, say I use Knock on a sashed mon and it deals 100%. The sash would break, so would the Knock be 65 or 97.5 BP?

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
1. When u use Knock Off, does the opponent take damage first or lose their item first?

2. If they take damage first, say I use Knock on a sashed mon and it deals 100%. The sash would break, so would the Knock be 65 or 97.5 BP?
The opponent takes damage first and knock does full damage on sashed mons

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
I know they are bad (I KNOW) but do Adamant Kartana and Modest Blacephalon achieve any notable kos with Band/Specs sets respectively?
Even if they did, the trade-off is not worth it. Both of their Speed tiers (108 and 107, respectively) means that a neutral Speed nature will make them slower than base 100's with a +Spe nature and tie with base 95's with a +Spe nature. Considering their frailty, you can't afford losing out on the extra speed. Besides, you can always make up for the "lost" power with Beast Boost (or CM/SD on breaker sets), whereas you can't make up for the lost speed regardless of the set.

Why is Baton Pass banned in practically every tier? I can't imagine it being abused by any Pokemon other than Smeargle, and even then it is completely shut down by common Taunt users such as Tapu Lele and Greninja.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Why is Mega-Beedrill considered unviable?
Ok, for an actual answer outside of "lando t that's why", the problem is that it's just ineffective. As a pivot, it's weak to rocks and all other hazards, and considering its bulk, keeping it alive is incredibly difficult and bringing it in even harder. It's hard walled by many top Mons - lando t is the most notable one, celesteela another - and yeah you could use knock off but that's literally it and other Mons can do that and more. This is exacerbated by its straight up awful movepool. Almost every team has at least one hard stop to it and multiple ways to pressure it from even coming in. There are simply much better choices for offensive pivots.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Hi! I'm trying to get back into OU, so I decided to use a Sample stall team by TDK. Is there a reason why his stall team has no Stealth Rock?

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/usm-ou-sample-teams.3626219/

Thanks
I mean I can’t speak for the build itself, but stall doesn’t really need stealth rocks (still usually opts to use it). The stall team I used in snake actually had no SR as well. Being able to run protect or toxic on chansey is often more valuable as it gives you an out against various offensive pokemon and you don’t need SR for anything as the team has other means of doing passive damage and has three defog users anyway.

What is the absolute most effective Buzzwole set for BO?
To expand on what Leo said, try out a set with Substitute + three attacks that serve what your teams need. I would personally use a Sub Focus Punch set seeing as it breaks through more than you would think. I would then recommend Ice Punch and Toxic / Roost to fill in the rest of the slots depending on the role you see Buzzwole in. I personally don't prefer Roost on BO, since Leftovers should be healing enough, and Roosting invites Special Attackers in, whereas Toxic'ing special attackers is something Buzzwole does effectively. Remember that Buzzwole's most effective as a tank who switches in on incoming Earthquakes, and does a ton of damage, so investing in physical defense is a must
Here's the set I recommend
Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Atk / 48 Def / 112 Spe
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Ice Punch
- Toxic

Sorry, not sure where to ask this, does anyone have the replay to Blunder v CBB? Unfortunately it was 4am my time, please don't tell me who won lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)