Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
What’s the single most threatening mon to stall? (Even if prepped for still puts in work)
There's arguably no mon that can put work vs stall if specifically prepped for considering how stall players can tailor their sets/spreads to beat common threats to the archetype. It really just depends on your opponent's team. In general mons like zmove Heatran, Hoopa and Mawile can put in work vs stall but as I said your opponent could be using spdef scor or pursuit weavile, etc and not have any problem dealing with your threats

HCJB

Banned deucer.
What’s the single most threatening mon to stall? (Even if prepped for still puts in work)
I made this stallbreaker Kyurem-B set which puts in a lot of work. The main issue is Kyurem-B is a little slow in general, so outside of stall it's not as useful - but still it's nice to have a single mon that's so hard for stall to play around. It means you can dedicate the rest of the team much more to HO.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I know you said most threatening mon as in singular, but I'm just gonna rattle off a list of mons that can put in work vs stall and you can pick whichever ones on the list in conjunction with proper support fit your team the best. Breathes In
Hoopa-U (most variants), SD Grassium Kartana + Bulu + Zone, Koko + Electrium Kyu-B, Gravity + SD + HP Ice + EQ Lando-T, Metronome Mamo, SD Mega Mawile, SD Pinsir + SD Edge Hawlucha, Tapuinium Koko, CBTar, CB Victini, SubCM Blacephalon, Taunt Gengar, Taunt WaterZ Keldeo, Taunt Tapu Lele, TG Waterium Mana (modest), SD Fire Fang Garchomp, Stallbreaker Gliscor, Z-Thunder Clef, Taunt Heatran, SubToxic Zyg, DD + Taunt MGyara

I find that Fini is really threatining to stall, since it has misty terrain and taunt, allowing set-up sweepers to come in once misty is up, and set up without the fear of getting statused for 4 turns.

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Can someone show me the Z-Hex Gengar set? I've seen a lot about it on the fórum, but never saw in practice (replays are appreciate too btw)
Gengar @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Sludge Wave
- Substitiute

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What is the defensive scarf lando ev spread?
What's the bulky scarf lando spread (and if you can be arsed, what the investment does?) ty in advance
Here is a post explaining the set that Eo used in wcop if you want an established set, but I'll share my own set here if you will since I've been using it for a good amount of time now and found it to be fairly effective:

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Rock Slide / Explosion
- Defog

This set hits 293 Speed, which ensures that Lando outspeeds Mega Alakazam at +1, and the rest of the EVs are just dumped into physical bulk. You can pump more EVs into defense compared to HP if you're paranoid about stuff like Pinsir and Zygarde, but I prefer the increased consistency overall. The third slot on this set is incredibly team dependent and shouldn't just be based on personal preference for the most part. Rock Slide is mainly used for Mega Pinsir, HP Ice for Zygarde, and Explosion as just a blanket move on more offensive teams to ensure that you don't lose momentum and still have ways of dealing with stuff like Pinsir.

Last edited:
  • Mamoswine is a bit less clear-cut of a case than Tornadus-Therian, but it probably should have never dropped into the depths of B- to begin with. It has seen a decent amount of usage and newer, generally seen as niche, sets such as Metrenome have made a decently enough sized splash in the metagame to warrant a small rise for the earth-shaking pig that poses a major threat to a majority of teams in the current metagame.
  • Volcanion, also known as the steamy one, has seen some more usage lately and for good reason -- the Substitute variant is incredibly annoying to deal with, especially due to the fact that Steam Eruption + Fire coverage work so well together. Ultimately, weakness to Stealth Rock and a lower Speed tier make it so that Volcanion will never be a top tier threat, but it has at least established itself as an intriguing option to integrate into teams as of late.
  • Amoonguss is by no means a great Pokemon in the tier right now, but it has a lot of utility, especially with the rise of the Assault Vest variant with Stomping Tantrum. While forum posters such as sedertz tend to overrate the presence of the mushroom, it is still easily better than a C+ Pokemon solely given the fact that it has Regenerator, the ability to check numerous top tier threats, and practical utility on numerous fronts.!
Hi, question, i bolded 3 loose set names. The second and third are easy enough to figure out the general idea, substitute is a common move on bulky offensive mons and tantrum amoong is just.. an amoong w tantrum. But for sets like the first bolded one, Metronome Mamoswine, where the title doesn't tell us if it's the item or the move or what it does with the item or move, and since it is listed as the reason for a rise, could you please explain or provide a link to an explanation of the set? Some of us end up with periods of a couple months where we can't get into the game every day and fall behind on the most current hottest meta trend.

Hi, question, i bolded 3 loose set names. The second and third are easy enough to figure out the general idea, substitute is a common move on bulky offensive mons and tantrum amoong is just.. an amoong w tantrum. But for sets like the first bolded one, Metronome Mamoswine, where the title doesn't tell us if it's the item or the move or what it does with the item or move, and since it is listed as the reason for a rise, could you please explain or provide a link to an explanation of the set? Some of us end up with periods of a couple months where we can't get into the game every day and fall behind on the most current hottest meta trend.
metronome boosts an attack's power when used on consecutive turns and its good on mamoswine because it lets you break through stuff like celesteela, clefable, chansey, and ferrothorn if you use icicle crash/ earthquake repeatedly. vs stall its really devastating because stall generally doesn't have anything to beat mamoswine's stab combo

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
moved this and the other person's response from VR to here as it belongs here and not the VR thread, but anyway -- do not ever use the move metrenome competitively, it has no legit use and is completely random lol. the item metrenome is cool for spamming icicle crash against stall to overpower chansey, skarmory, clefable, etc. while not having to take LO damage. the others are pretty straightforward -- here is an example Amoonguss set and Volcanion is just standard w/ Substitute nowadays as opposed to Specs or Shuca all out attacker!

metronome boosts an attack's power when used on consecutive turns and its good on mamoswine because it lets you break through stuff like celesteela, clefable, chansey, and ferrothorn if you use icicle crash/ earthquake repeatedly. vs stall its really devastating because stall generally doesn't have anything to beat mamoswine's stab combo
thanks for the answer.

IF ANY MODS SEE THIS I posted in the VR thread with the intention of pushing the OU council to include these answers (or links to them) in the updates when they're not easy to pick out from the name. Idc that it was moved here it makes sense but hopefully one of you guys sees this and considers doing that.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
thanks for the answer.

IF ANY MODS SEE THIS I posted in the VR thread with the intention of pushing the OU council to include these answers (or links to them) in the updates when they're not easy to pick out from the name. Idc that it was moved here it makes sense but hopefully one of you guys sees this and considers doing that.
Mamoswine doesn't even learn the move metronome, for future reference, so I'm not sure how you got confused between the item and the move. Considering that Metronome (the item) by design can really only serve the purpose of letting the user spam a move to break through bulkier mons without being locked like a Choice set does (and letting the user bluff a choice set as well I guess), I don't think that the lack of comprehension is really on the ou vr council here.

Mamoswine doesn't even learn the move metronome, for future reference, so I'm not sure how you got confused between the item and the move. Considering that Metronome (the item) by design can really only serve the purpose of letting the user spam a move to break through bulkier mons without being locked like a Choice set does (and letting the user bluff a choice set as well I guess), I don't think that the lack of comprehension is really on the ou vr council here.
ok I brought up the move to get my point across lol. Yes, I could guess that they meant that they use the item and spam a move. That doesn't tell me why this is good in the meta right now, what changed, what does metronome mamo accomplish? Which is quite relevant because it is literally listed as the reason for the mon to rise in the VR. EDIT: idk I just didn't think it's too much to ask that niche, uncommon sets get explained in a thread which serves the purpose of informing people who don't already know this information.

the first guy who answered me gave a good summary in a couple sentences.

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
ok I brought up the move to get my point across lol. Yes, I could guess that they meant that they use the item and spam a move. That doesn't tell me why this is good in the meta right now, what changed, what does metronome mamo accomplish? Which is quite relevant because it is literally listed as the reason for the mon to rise in the VR. EDIT: idk I just didn't think it's too much to ask that niche, uncommon sets get explained in a thread which serves the purpose of informing people who don't already know this information.

the first guy who answered me gave a good summary in a couple sentences.
Quoting the VR update post:
  • Mamoswine is a bit less clear-cut of a case than Tornadus-Therian, but it probably should have never dropped into the depths of B- to begin with. It has seen a decent amount of usage and newer, generally seen as niche, sets such as Metrenome have made a decently enough sized splash in the metagame to warrant a small rise for the earth-shaking pig that poses a major threat to a majority of teams in the current metagame.
Now as a first time lurker with the bare minimum meta knowledge I'd deduce that it shouldn't have dropped to B- in the first place, meaning that while not much has changed for it, it deserves a higher ranking. If youre wondering what Metronome does you can just read its description from the dex/bulbapedia/in-game and it really isn't that hard to deduce that Mamoswine uses the item that boosts repeatedly used moves to spam its moves and break through bulkier Pokemon. That's all there is to it, if you couldn't deduce that from the explanation then you can always ask here or pm finch but I think it was clear enough considering youre the only one asking for a more in-depth explanation

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
fwiw I came to this thread to ask the same question -- I don't remember ever seeing metronome (the item) used in OU before, so I was curious why it was being used now

fwiw I came to this thread to ask the same question -- I don't remember ever seeing metronome (the item) used in OU before, so I was curious why it was being used now
Basic story is that it bluffs a Choice item and any wall that gets in can't just stay there and keep recovering because it would be eventually overwhelmed.

Hello everyone! I didn't play since ORAS and I'm not aware from metagame right now in USM. My last team in ORAS was Sand with Exca/Hippo, but I don't know how fares this playstyle in the metagame.
Can someone give me some approach to this and talk me if sand is decent, if it's, some partners or something like that to build a team?
Thanks!

Hello everyone! I didn't play since ORAS and I'm not aware from metagame right now in USM. My last team in ORAS was Sand with Exca/Hippo, but I don't know how fares this playstyle in the metagame.
Can someone give me some approach to this and talk me if sand is decent, if it's, some partners or something like that to build a team?
Thanks!
So far that I know, the main play style is either Balance or Bulky offense. You can check the OU Bazaar for some teams so you can better understand the meta. https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ultra-sm-ou-bazaar.3587317/

Is Grassium Kartana becoming better? I feel like Celesteela has completely collapsed in use and with the amount of AV Bulu running around (even if it’s not yours) this thing gets disgustingly powerful. With the addition of Knock Off you can remove a Skarm shed shell so your zone can trap it, I just don’t see a huge need for Fightinium anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)