Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Yeah, with Zone support, Grassium melts through Zapdos at +2, even if you don't have grassy terrain up. I've seen Grassium Z sets with Knock Off and Sacread Sword. But without Zone support, you could want Fightinium Z
I guess I’m asking if Zone support is even necessary because of how little Celesteela there is but how much Lando and Pex there is. So many BO teams nowadays have a Pex or Tang/Bulu or Heatran to switch between against Celesteela, but Grassium seems to be more consistent at killing something than Fight imo.

Hey all, longtime lover and lurker of smogon. I’ve got a basic question but I really need it answered for certain reasons:

Currently in the OU meta, would it be classified as more offensively inclined, defensively inclined, or balanced inclined?

Thanks in advance. This will help me greatly.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Hey all, longtime lover and lurker of smogon. I’ve got a basic question but I really need it answered for certain reasons:

Currently in the OU meta, would it be classified as more offensively inclined, defensively inclined, or balanced inclined?

Thanks in advance. This will help me greatly.
I’d say that it’s hard to assign a single one, but balance is at the forefront with offense being there as well. Defensive or stallish teams have fallen out of favor since the Dugtrio ban, but they are still viable, too.

What helped Assault Vest Amoongus be so popular? (I'm guessing Koko, but I'd imagine there being something more). And moves...Tantrum/STABs/Foul Play, or something else?

Is there any reason to use Zard-X over Volcarona? I seem them both as powerful fire type sweepers, and both mandate defog/rapid spin support on your team.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Is there any reason to use Zard-X over Volcarona? I seem them both as powerful fire type sweepers, and both mandate defog/rapid spin support on your team.
They fulfill different roles tho, Volcarona is a sweeper that requires support from its teammates depending on its set in addition to the mandatory Defog support whereas zard is more of a breaker that just takes advantage of its high attack stat and good coverage to wallbreak, usually paving the way for a late game cleaner/sweeper. As for advantages and disadvantages, ig zard takes your mega slot and volc can be dead in some mus, zard is worse in general cause lando and pex are everywhere and it's relatively easy to check offensively so it doesnt excel particularly vs any archetype

I'm confused. How is offense different to bulky offense or hyper offense? I always thought offense was just a blanket term for all forms of offensive teams

I'm confused. How is offense different to bulky offense or hyper offense? I always thought offense was just a blanket term for all forms of offensive teams
Bulky offense tends to have a defensive backbone, usually with deffensive landot and av magearna, while, HO doesn't care about defensive sinergy and looks to overpower the opposite teams with a bunch of setup sweepers, while having usually one or 2 suicide leads to set up rocks and get KOed

Bulky offense tends to have a defensive backbone, usually with deffensive landot and av magearna, while, HO doesn't care about defensive sinergy and looks to overpower the opposite teams with a bunch of setup sweepers, while having usually one or 2 suicide leads to set up rocks and get KOed
With all due respect, that isn't what I asked lol

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Offense is a blanket term that consists of bulky and hyper offense
And everything in between

Last edited:
How do we feel about Scolipede? I think it’s an underexplored threat that compliments Zygarde quite nicely. I wish the standard set had room for poison jab.

How do we feel about Scolipede? I think it’s an underexplored threat that compliments Zygarde quite nicely. I wish the standard set had room for poison jab.
Scolipede doesn’t have much power to break through certain walls so it’s not that good in the meta, but it is decent for spikes support.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
It's unviable. Sd sets are hard stopped by balance due to extreme 4MSS - losing one of poison jab, eq, aqua tail or megahorn significantly reduces effectiveness - and gren is a better hazard setter. Pex is a more effective tspikes setter as well.

talah

from the river to the sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
AV amoonguss takes on greninja, koko, kartana, bulu, keldeo, and has enough physical bulk to take some hits from landorus and lopunny. Basically it does venusaur things while having regenerator to not get worn down as quickly as venusaur. I would suggest this set

Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog / Sludge Bomb
- Stomping Tantrum

HP FIRE IS A NECESSITY so you beat kartana which is amoonguss's main drawing point as a bulky grass. Max defense with an av seems counterintuitive but the physdef is needed to take on kart while the av makes it bulky enough for specs gren and koko. Leftovers/Rocky Helmet can be used over av and makes moveslots for status moves, namely stun spore and spore. Foul Play and HP Ice are pretty bad options on amoonguss.

I guess you could forgo hp fire and run eject button amoonguss into scarf zone new meta gang
that much defense isnt really needed, this is probably a much more efficient spread, since u can handily scout and take on koko/greninja etc while still not get threatened out by sd kart(u eat +2 knock off after rocks always). u also take ~50 from invested magma heatran while the no spdef spread takes around 65, a pretty big difference and one of the main selling points of the set over the regular utility sets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)