Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I'd suggest a nature change on clafable if You wanna avoid the 2 hit ko cause You'll end up with more evs You can put into defense cause it's special defense is naturally higher

If I give mew a flame orb will it make his abitily work if I switched him in or every time I heal bell it off?

Say I know mega meticham will fake out and I switch to mew and burn him just by switching in. It also has the plus of not missing and freeing up a move slot

Will this work?
No it wont work

Edit: to clarify because the description provided is extremely vague, it only applies to status receive by an opposing mon. Self influcted status like the one you described does not activate the ability.

Last edited:
Ok I am looking for a sixth member of a Tornadus-T / Tangrowth Team, including Rocky Helmet Torn, AV Tangrowth, Z-Crystal Greninja, CB Zygarde, and SD Mega Scizor. Does anyone have a good idea for a sixth teammate?
Looks like you need Rocks. Maybe Rachi because your team's afraid of Lele and Flying spam and you can U-Turn out of problematic matchups (or pass wishes), maybe Heatran to clear out steels for Scizor/Torn-T/Tang to have an easier time wearing down enemies.

Definitely Heatran though, because Heatran is god.

Does suicune work well in ou, because it used to be one of the best walls in the tier
It's a good pick. VinCune (Protect + Substitute + Calm Mind + Scald) can be a strong win condition against certain teams, especially with Toxic Spikes support, whereas CroCune (Rest + Sleep Talk + Calm Mind + Scald) can play a similar role, albeit less effectively but with more longevity and can play more recklessly about getting hit with a Toxic. However, you shouldn't rely on it as a wall all that much because the lack of recovery makes it somewhat prone to being worn down. So, long story short, it's not as dominant as it used to be, but it is still a good pick.

A friend told me that he used Dragon Tail with a Mold Breaker pokemon, made Azelf switchin, and Azelf got his levitation bypassed and took toxic spikes.
Does that mean that if I do this and a Tapu comes, the terrain won't activate ? Or weather ? Does that cancel Regenerator too ?

Last edited:

Givrix

Mad Dog
is a Top Tiering Contributor
A friend told me that he used Dragon Tail with a Mold Breaker pokemon, made Azelf switchin, and Azelf lost his levitation and took toxic spikes.
Does that mean that if I do this and a Tapu comes, the terrain won't activate ? Or weather ? Does that cancel Regenerator too ?
Mold Breaker D-Tail cannot remove levitate or anything else, it's a false information. Mold Breaker only bypasses some abilities when you attack, but the "field effect" will still work.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mold Breaker D-Tail cannot remove levitate or anything else, it's a false information. Mold Breaker only bypasses some abilities when you attack, but the "field effect" will still work.
Actually there is some truth to what he says:

https://m.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mold_Breaker_(Ability)

Generation V onward
If a Pokémon with Mold Breaker forces a Pokémon to switch in with a move like Roar or Dragon Tail, Abilities that affect entry hazards will be ignored if possible; if forced to switch in this way:

It's a rarity to see in OU though because no Pokemon uses such a combination.

I would like to ask why Staraptor is in UUBL?
It doesn't even at least have a dex entry for singles and is nowhere to be seen in any OU viability ranking.

Is it actually broken in UU? I mean M-Aerodactyl and guts swellow can be used in UU and they're not broken at all. S

It doesn't even at least have a dex entry for singles and is nowhere to be seen in any OU viability ranking.

Is it actually broken in UU? I mean M-Aerodactyl and guts swellow can be used in UU and they're not broken at all. S
To answer your question about why it's in UUBL and regarding how broken Staraptor is in UU:

Staraptor has a solid base 120 Attack stat, a good base 100 Speed stat - a downright fantastic speed tier for a breaker - and perhaps the most important thing of all: a fantastic ability that boosts the power of Brave Bird, which on its own is an alarmingly powerful nuke. In addition, with Skarmory and Celesteela being OU, UU is hard-pressed to find a single reliable switch-in to a Choice Banded, Reckless-boosted, base 120-power Flying STAB. Those that can stomach a few are either worn down quickly or are dispatched with a super effective Close Combat.

Swellow boasts a great Speed tier and all, and Mega Aerodactyl boasts an even better one in tandem with a fantastic movepool, but both of them struggle to 2HKO almost everything on the face of the earth without a single turn of setup.

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Adding to what Dreadfury said:

Staraptor in OU is incredibly niche - limited to what are known as "bird spam" cores that are hyper offense builds. It can be used in OU to some limited degree, but you would have to ask yourself why to use Staraptor over many OU Pokemon outside of "I like it" (which isn't usually a good justification for being optimal nor viable). STAB Double Edge and STAB Brave Bird with Reckless is very potent, as STAB Double Edge can wipe out some of Mega Pinsir's problematic Pokemon such as Rotom-W and wear down Zapdos while giving more opportunities to sweep.

As far as the UU decision, I would highly suggest the question is a bit more suited for UU; however, it was a Pokemon given a second chance and then banned. I do not have the ban post on hand, but a lot of it is due to Choice Band Reckless just having insane damage output.

For your comparisons - Mega Aerodactyl is strong, but it's rather underwhelming because the majority of its moves barely break past 100 BP (even with Tough Claws at times) and the reliance of Aerial Ace or Wing Attack for Flying-type STAB can be very underwhelming. Being reliant on a Mega Evolution has an opportunity cost in the various tiers - very high in OU since Mega Alakazam and Mega Lati@s are very potent, and UU having other viable Megas such as Mega Aggron, Mega Beedrill, and Mega Altaria (note - I don't give a damn about their rankings, I'm just pointing out that there are Mega opportunity costs). Swellow is a different story - while Guts Swellow was sometimes a thing in DPP (albeit a terrible thing in OU IMO), Guts Swellow has the major problem of wearing down very quickly and lacking a lot of power prior to and even after Guts is activated. Specs is arguably better as well since Scrappy STAB Boomburst can actually do some major damage to teams that aren't loaded with Normal-type resists or special sponges like Blissey.

Using Mew (fuck EVs), here's a relative example of power difference between the three Pokemon:

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 240 HP / 156 Def Mew: 286-337 (71.3 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Aerodactyl-Mega Stone Edge vs. 240 HP / 156 Def Mew: 144-171 (35.9 - 42.6%) -- 94% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Guts Swellow Brave Bird vs. 240 HP / 156 Def Mew: 189-223 (47.1 - 55.6%) -- 19.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

And to show a difference with Scarf Staraptor:

252 Atk Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 240 HP / 156 Def Mew: 192-226 (47.8 - 56.3%) -- 28.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Finally in regards to its analysis - usually, if a Pokemon is extremely fringe or not considered very viable within a tier, it usually will lack an analysis regardless if it is UUBL. This would also explain why Pokemon like Salamence are often missing an analysis.

tl;dr version - Staraptor is simply way too strong by UU's standards (per the previous votes) and its niche has not been called upon as of late within OU (but anything can change with that as meta trends vary significantly and OLT is a season that has a lot of HO spammed).

Adding to what Dreadfury said:

Staraptor in OU is incredibly niche - limited to what are known as "bird spam" cores that are hyper offense builds. It can be used in OU to some limited degree, but you would have to ask yourself why to use Staraptor over many OU Pokemon outside of "I like it" (which isn't usually a good justification for being optimal nor viable). STAB Double Edge and STAB Brave Bird with Reckless is very potent, as STAB Double Edge can wipe out some of Mega Pinsir's problematic Pokemon such as Rotom-W and wear down Zapdos while giving more opportunities to sweep.

As far as the UU decision, I would highly suggest the question is a bit more suited for UU; however, it was a Pokemon given a second chance and then banned. I do not have the ban post on hand, but a lot of it is due to Choice Band Reckless just having insane damage output.

For your comparisons - Mega Aerodactyl is strong, but it's rather underwhelming because the majority of its moves barely break past 100 BP (even with Tough Claws at times) and the reliance of Aerial Ace or Wing Attack for Flying-type STAB can be very underwhelming. Being reliant on a Mega Evolution has an opportunity cost in the various tiers - very high in OU since Mega Alakazam and Mega Lati@s are very potent, and UU having other viable Megas such as Mega Aggron, Mega Beedrill, and Mega Altaria (note - I don't give a damn about their rankings, I'm just pointing out that there are Mega opportunity costs). Swellow is a different story - while Guts Swellow was sometimes a thing in DPP (albeit a terrible thing in OU IMO), Guts Swellow has the major problem of wearing down very quickly and lacking a lot of power prior to and even after Guts is activated. Specs is arguably better as well since Scrappy STAB Boomburst can actually do some major damage to teams that aren't loaded with Normal-type resists or special sponges like Blissey.

Using Mew (fuck EVs), here's a relative example of power difference between the three Pokemon:

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 240 HP / 156 Def Mew: 286-337 (71.3 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Aerodactyl-Mega Stone Edge vs. 240 HP / 156 Def Mew: 144-171 (35.9 - 42.6%) -- 94% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Guts Swellow Brave Bird vs. 240 HP / 156 Def Mew: 189-223 (47.1 - 55.6%) -- 19.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

And to show a difference with Scarf Staraptor:

252 Atk Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 240 HP / 156 Def Mew: 192-226 (47.8 - 56.3%) -- 28.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Finally in regards to its analysis - usually, if a Pokemon is extremely fringe or not considered very viable within a tier, it usually will lack an analysis regardless if it is UUBL. This would also explain why Pokemon like Salamence are often missing an analysis.

tl;dr version - Staraptor is simply way too strong by UU's standards (per the previous votes) and its niche has not been called upon as of late within OU (but anything can change with that as meta trends vary significantly and OLT is a season that has a lot of HO spammed).
Oh ok thanks. I figured there wouldn't be many counters because the banded birb hits like a truck. I did think though that UU could handle it because there are a lot of checks. Things like faster scarfers or revenge killers for the banded ones.

As a side note, that's a depressing state for a Pokemon. BL since its inception and a few small niches for OU. I think most people will agree with me on that.

How is doing sand in current meta?
Tyranitar is still solidly OU, and Excadrill is still quite good (although a lot of its success is in part due to Mold Breaker being good; TTar+Sand Rush Excadrill is still quite a nasty core, though), and Hippowdon is at least slightly viable, but Sand itself isn't very good, unfortunately. As in, you'd have no real reason to build around the few viable Sand Force users, you'd have no real reason to run Mega Garchomp in this tier since it's really lackluster, and Sandslash (Vanilla) and Stoutland just aren't good in OU whatsoever.

So latios has access to the exclusive move luster purge, and the stronger move, psychic. They both have the special reduction, so what is the point of luster purge?

So latios has access to the exclusive move luster purge, and the stronger move, psychic. They both have the special reduction, so what is the point of luster purge?
Basically to be a signature move when GameFreak created the Lati twins. Technically, Luster Purge has a higher chance to drop Sp. Def (50% compared to 10%), so in theory you could could get drops more easily and force more switches / do more damage. But Psychic's consistency or Psyshock's utility vs specially bulky threats is too good to pass up for Latios

I have a question: What does the C rank stand for in the OU Viability list? Does it mean that the pokemon isn't great but still has a few niches that it can perform well in OU, or does it mean that the Pokemon is simply bad in OU? Because I really like some of the Pokemon in the rank and I would love to use them, and some of them I'm genuinely surprised by because I thought they were much better.

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
I have a question: What does the C tier stand for in this list? Does it mean that the pokemon isn't great but still has a few niches that it can perform well in OU, or does it mean that the Pokemon is simply bad in OU? Because I really like some of the Pokemon in the tier and I would love to use them, and some of them I'm genuinely surprised by because I thought they were much better.
hi, every mon in the vr has some sort of niche so C mons are definitely usable, they just require specific support or often fit on specific teams. for example cresselia is only good on dedicated trick room teams but is pretty much mandatory there, Qwilfish is only good in Rain but is decent enough to be ranked, and so on

hi, every mon in the vr has some sort of niche so C mons are definitely usable, they just require specific support or often fit on specific teams. for example cresselia is only good on dedicated trick room teams but is pretty much mandatory there, Qwilfish is only good in Rain but is decent enough to be ranked, and so on
Ah, thanks man!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)