Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

So Moltres is apparently viable in OU now. What set/spread does it run? I'd imagine something like Sub+Roost+Toxic+Flamethrower with a Timid nature, since it's apparently good on Stall for similar reasons to why Zapdos is good on Stall, but I haven't seen Moltres used a single time yet.
In addition to what CM and 1inchinator said, the EV spread let’s it outrun Jolly Excadrill and take one Thunder Punch from Mega Mawile at full health. It’s niche comes from forming a deadly Pressure core with Zapdos and helping Stall take on the likes of Calm Mind Clefable (if Moonblast PP has already gone low enough) and Heatran, two big nuisances to Stall otherwise. Moltres is also a decent Defogger user, most notably removing Spikes and Toxic Spikes as well as Stealth Rock from offensive Clefable and Heatran which would be a pain for Mega Sableye. Here’s a good replay showcasing it: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-389227

I just was wondering how the process of getting Kyurem-B suspected/brought down happened, was it a radical idea at the time? Asking for a friend, is Dawn Wings Necrozma never going to be suspected because of Rock Polish?

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I just was wondering how the process of getting Kyurem-B suspected/brought down happened, was it a radical idea at the time? Asking for a friend, is Dawn Wings Necrozma never going to be suspected because of Rock Polish?
You can read some of information here which was written by PDC. The cover Kyurems started in Uber barring regular Kyurem itself.

We prefer to discourage asking questions for if X Pokemon will become / ever become a suspect as that is not the point of this thread, but Dawn Wings Necrozma is not likely to see the light of OU anytime soon. Regardless, that is a question more geared towards OU council in the future.

So uhh... I've been trying out that Pyukumuku Stall team from the sample teams thread and the first thing I bumped into on the ladder was a Mega Heracross.

Is there anything said team can realistically do against Mega Heracross? Because if it gets a single turn to get its Substitute up I just lose.

So uhh... I've been trying out that Pyukumuku Stall team from the sample teams thread and the first thing I bumped into on the ladder was a Mega Heracross.

Is there anything said team can realistically do against Mega Heracross? Because if it gets a single turn to get its Substitute up I just lose.
Defensive gliscor with a flying move is probably ur best option. Brave bird skarm and celesteela can also deal with it. Also fast moltes can deal with it too

Is there any notable team with Double Dance Reuniclus? I've been searching everywhere in the forum, but I can't find it
I have yet to see a notable or reliable paste yet, but probably the most popular one was the one simia used to qualify 1st for round 2 of OLT, under the alt lt52ek sim. The team consisted of reun, zygarde, bulu, tran, gren, torn; I havent attempted to scout the spreads or movesets fully yet cause its very late. If you wanna build your own, the team is pretty much always the same idea, dd reuniclus, toxic spikes, and at least 1 protect mon. Sorry i couldnt help more, but heres a replay with 2 example teams: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-782522049

Can someone explain endless battle clause to me? I faced a recycle block leppa pyukumuku and wanted to kill myself (https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-787874952) even though it's not "endless" should people really have to play thousand turn games to reach some sort of end state? Didn't recycle leppa used to be banned #4?
From my understanding, endless battle clause has to be a specific moveset that literally makes the battle go on forever. In your case, it would eventually end. The barbacle would eventually run out of pp and struggle to death. In the case of an endless battle, it would have to have a certain moveset that would force an endless battle. Here is a thread explaining endless battle in further detail if you are intrested.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/endless-battle-clause.3495354/

From my understanding, endless battle clause has to be a specific moveset that literally makes the battle go on forever. In your case, it would eventually end. The barbacle would eventually run out of pp and struggle to death. In the case of an endless battle, it would have to have a certain moveset that would force an endless battle. Here is a thread explaining endless battle in further detail if you are intrested.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/endless-battle-clause.3495354/
Your link says that Leppa Berry + Recycle is banned, but it's possible in my replay. Was the ruling changed?

Yes. See this post in PR and I would also recommend reading the thread as a whole.
Thanks for the reading. Yikes though, I feel like Leppa Berry and Heal Pulse add literally nothing to the game but misery. One last hypothetical, if both sides each have two mons remaining with 0 pp and regenerator, isn't the optimal play just infinite switching with occasional struggling to lose some HP? Who wins in that case?

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Thanks for the reading. Yikes though, I feel like Leppa Berry and Heal Pulse add literally nothing to the game but misery. One last hypothetical, if both sides each have two mons remaining with 0 pp and regenerator, isn't the optimal play just infinite switching with occasional struggling to lose some HP? Who wins in that case?
For endless battles that both players have to willingly cause, you'll want to read this PR thread.

tl;dr is that battles now have a 1000 turn limit after which they autotie

I have a few questions:

1. Does Weavile fit on Hyper Offense teams?
2. What are some good teammates for Weavile on a Hyper Offensive team?
3. What kinds of Pokemon should I have on a hyper offense team (like what roles?)
4. What are some good hyper offensive Pokemon?

I have a few questions:
3. What kinds of Pokemon should I have on a hyper offense team (like what roles?)
I'll let others answer your first 2 questions because I don't have a whole lot of time, but for your other two:
3) HO roles typically include a suicide lead (sometimes two) to get hazards up immediately and doing the best to shut down removal options. HO also stacks as many powerful pokemon as possible (usually setup attackers as well) to pressure the opposing team.

4) As for who fits these roles, it kinda depends on your theme. If you want Veil HO, obviously you need Alolan Ninetales. For Rain, you want Pelipper (followed by stuff like Mega Swampert, Tapu Koko, Kingdra, Hawlucha, etc). For Trick Room, you want sturdy setters like Uxie or Cresselia with powerful abusers like Stakataka or Crawdaunt. Webs needs a setter like Shuckle or Araquanid with stuff like Mega Pinsir being common abusers. For just general HO stuff, typically suicide leads like Lando-T, Excadrill, and Greninja are used, with pokemon like Dragon Dance Zygarde, Double Dance Magearna and Bisharp capable of applying lots of pressure, using their high bulk (esp behind veil) to setup in the former 2 examples and the ability Defiant to deter defogging away hazards in the latter example.

As you can see, HO can go a lot of various ways and I hope this helps at least a little!

I have a few questions:

1. Does Weavile fit on Hyper Offense teams?
2. What are some good teammates for Weavile on a Hyper Offensive team?
Alright ill answer ut qs one by one best I can.
1. Weavile can fit on HO
2. Its best fit is with stuff that appreciates things getting pursuit trapped. For example, you could have z celebrate victini. One of its only counters is lati@s and Weavile can pursuit trap them
3. When I build HO team I usually have mons that fit into these roles. First is a hazard Mon. Most of the time it'll be a suicide lead, but it can also be a Mon like ferro. Then I have wallbreakers which can just power through walls easily. Then I have cleaners or sweepers which benefit from walls being broken. Then finally, I have speed control which 99% of the time is a scarfer. It just makes sure u dont lose auto lose to speed boosting set up moves or just faster mons in general.
4. For suicide leads, ribombee and drill are examples. For wall breakers, kyurem-b is an example. For cleaners, ash gren, dd gyara are great examples. For speed control, almost any scarfer is good for it. Hawlucha is also an option, but it is a one time switch in.

Also blunder did a good video on HO if u wanna know more. Blunder did a great video on it. Just search up blunder hyper offense on yt.sorry in on my phone

I'll let others answer your first 2 questions because I don't have a whole lot of time, but for your other two:
3) HO roles typically include a suicide lead (sometimes two) to get hazards up immediately and doing the best to shut down removal options. HO also stacks as many powerful pokemon as possible (usually setup attackers as well) to pressure the opposing team.

4) As for who fits these roles, it kinda depends on your theme. If you want Veil HO, obviously you need Alolan Ninetales. For Rain, you want Pelipper (followed by stuff like Mega Swampert, Tapu Koko, Kingdra, Hawlucha, etc). For Trick Room, you want sturdy setters like Uxie or Cresselia with powerful abusers like Stakataka or Crawdaunt. Webs needs a setter like Shuckle or Araquanid with stuff like Mega Pinsir being common abusers. For just general HO stuff, typically suicide leads like Lando-T, Excadrill, and Greninja are used, with pokemon like Dragon Dance Zygarde, Double Dance Magearna and Bisharp capable of applying lots of pressure, using their high bulk (esp behind veil) to setup in the former 2 examples and the ability Defiant to deter defogging away hazards in the latter example.

As you can see, HO can go a lot of various ways and I hope this helps at least a little!
Alright ill answer ut qs one by one best I can.
1. Weavile can fit on HO
2. Its best fit is with stuff that appreciates things getting pursuit trapped. For example, you could have z celebrate victini. One of its only counters is lati@s and Weavile can pursuit trap them
3. When I build HO team I usually have mons that fit into these roles. First is a hazard Mon. Most of the time it'll be a suicide lead, but it can also be a Mon like ferro. Then I have wallbreakers which can just power through walls easily. Then I have cleaners or sweepers which benefit from walls being broken. Then finally, I have speed control which 99% of the time is a scarfer. It just makes sure u dont lose auto lose to speed boosting set up moves or just faster mons in general.
4. For suicide leads, ribombee and drill are examples. For wall breakers, kyurem-b is an example. For cleaners, ash gren, dd gyara are great examples. For speed control, almost any scarfer is good for it. Hawlucha is also an option, but it is a one time switch in.

Also blunder did a good video on HO if u wanna know more. Blunder did a great video on it. Just search up blunder hyper offense on yt.sorry in on my phone
Thanks so much guys!!

I can show you my team if you want to give me any suggestions :P

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What's the more viable style (BO, Balance, etc.) on Ladder rn? Does HO (or any other style, anyway) perform different in Ladder than in Tournament?
On ladder, the extremes of the metagame are the most tolerable to wield, probably. In tournaments, balance and bulkyoffense are far more consistent, but they struggle to handle all extremes (stall, HO, etc) at once, so they’re less desirable for ladder play.

As mentioned on the OLT thread, Sap Sipper Drampa seems to have a niche of checking both Blacephalon and Serperior. Is this a "real" niche or is this just in response to current ladder trends? It just seems like a huge stretch to throw Drampa on any team for off chance you encounter serp clown HO, no?

Scuba Diver Yes that is a niche role. However, Drampa is a total liability in any other matchup in OU (that I can think of), so unless there is more it can accomplish so it's not deadweight against all but two mons, it's really not worth using.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)