Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

How is it never a good idea? Almost everything, from whether or not your move will hit, if that scald will burn, will you stop sleeping, to the amount of damage done by your attack is decided by rng. If there is so much right now, why is one aspect so bad, when almost every aspect could be not ideal?

How is it never a good idea? Almost everything, from whether or not your move will hit, if that scald will burn, will you stop sleeping, to the amount of damage done by your attack is decided by rng. If there is so much right now, why is one aspect so bad, when almost every aspect could be not ideal?
While those aspects of battle suck, they are inherent RNG, and not RNG that is influenced by the player. There is a difference from Fire Blast missing normally, and Fire Blast missing because you spammed double team, and that difference is that Fire Blast on the regular match can still hit, while on the other, you are practically rolling a dice hoping to win. As for the "counters" to double team spam, remember that a meta that allows double team would eventually become a stall-ish meta that could take the hits, due to offense not having the mons to carry Haze, and still play effectively.

Essentially, to have any competitive seen of any game, most of the obvious RNG elements need to be taken out. And while pokemon does have a lot of RNG, none is as blatant as Double-Team, nor is as unfair as Double-Team, so therefore Double-Team needed to be banned. If you really want Double-Team to be a part of the game, try playing Anything Goes

While those aspects of battle suck, they are inherent RNG, and not RNG that is influenced by the player. There is a difference from Fire Blast missing normally, and Fire Blast missing because you spammed double team, and that difference is that Fire Blast on the regular match can still hit, while on the other, you are practically rolling a dice hoping to win. As for the "counters" to double team spam, remember that a meta that allows double team would eventually become a stall-ish meta that could take the hits, due to offense not having the mons to carry Haze, and still play effectively.

Essentially, to have any competitive seen of any game, most of the obvious RNG elements need to be taken out. And while pokemon does have a lot of RNG, none is as blatant as Double-Team, nor is as unfair as Double-Team, so therefore Double-Team needed to be banned. If you really want Double-Team to be a part of the game, try playing Anything Goes
To make a comparison between Pokemon metas seems rather naïve of me, but I will do so none the less.
In VGC, double team is almost nonexistent, despite it not being banned. This begs the question of, "is baton pass the issue, or is it that the players aren't looking at other potential playstyles?" for, almost like Smogon, but just a bit more so, VGC is almost devoid of variety. The top 6 Pokemon there have over 20% usage, and this was for Smogon's VGC meta. The stats may vary slightly, but there was almost no usage of double team at all.
If it isn't being used in a system where it could be used, wouldn't that mean that it isn't a problem? Hell, in anything goes, double team isn't used often. That begs the question, "is it only OU that has this problem?"
Well, this is long enough for now, and both Smogon and VGC have similar top ranking Pokemon, so they are quite similar.

To make a comparison between Pokemon metas seems rather naïve of me, but I will do so none the less.
In VGC, double team is almost nonexistent, despite it not being banned. This begs the question of, "is baton pass the issue, or is it that the players aren't looking at other potential playstyles?" for, almost like Smogon, but just a bit more so, VGC is almost devoid of variety. The top 6 Pokemon there have over 20% usage, and this was for Smogon's VGC meta. The stats may vary slightly, but there was almost no usage of double team at all.
If it isn't being used in a system where it could be used, wouldn't that mean that it isn't a problem? Hell, in anything goes, double team isn't used often. That begs the question, "is it only OU that has this problem?"
Well, this is long enough for now, and both Smogon and VGC have similar top ranking Pokemon, so they are quite similar.
VGC is a timed environment, where running down the clock can result in a loss. Double Team Spam can lose precious seconds. That and Double-Team spam isn't as effective in Doubles. That is the sole reason Double-Team Spam doesn't exist in VGC.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
First of all, do not compare a doubles meta with a singles one, there's a lot of differences and there's a reason for that. Other than that, do not forget that this is the Simple Questions Simple Answers thread so if your trying to start an argument in favor of evasion boosting moves I'd suggest you PM a council member instead of further derailing the thread.

VGC is a timed environment, where running down the clock can result in a loss. Double Team Spam can lose precious seconds. That and Double-Team spam isn't as effective in Doubles. That is the sole reason Double-Team Spam doesn't exist in VGC.
It isn’t so much the timer as it is how important each turn is in VGC, because of how much happens and
how short the battles are. But yeah, VGC viability doesn’t translate to OU in the slightest.

Who are good users of users of Metronome? Lele? I think it’s a cool item.

I know it’s probably hot garbage but would a Magic Guard Cosmic Power Clefable be able to run metronome with like Echoed Voice or Charge Beam so you could forgo Capm Mind?

I know it’s probably hot garbage but would a Magic Guard Cosmic Power Clefable be able to run metronome with like Echoed Voice or Charge Beam so you could forgo Capm Mind?
I’ve been using it on Kyurem Black to bluff a choice scarf.

Typically metronome is only really good on a pokemon with a spammable stab, such as mamoswine or gengar. With lele it could theoretically somewhat work with moonblast, but psychic isnt a super spammable type and it’d be counter-intuitive as you’d be stalling out your terrain. As for clef, those moves would honestly still be rlly weak even if you managed to get 5 or 6 hits in a row.

Reactions: Leo

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Somehow I think LO Clef is better just due to it taking 4 consecutive Metronome Moonblasts just to match the damage output of the same no. LO Moonblasts (which aren't forced into consecutive use) without even taking any recoil due to Magic Guard. Either way though, don't run Cosmic Power Clefable: it's really bad.

Can any HO players explain their game plan to me (in comparison to BO)? I’m most comfortable playing BO/balance with fat pivots like Pex and Bulu and Tang and generally matches sort of feel like a game of tennis and it flows nicely. I have been playing around with the Dual Screens Koko Sample team and while I know it’s effective I just generally don’t really know why I’m struggling getting anything done with it.

Why does no one use Synthesis on Tapu Bulu? It's not even listed on Bulu's dex page, but I'm pretty sure it got Synthesis in USUM.
I know AV is very popular now, but I wonder if a SpDef set could work with the moves Bulk Up, Synthesis, Horn Leech, and Superpower/Brick Break. Maybe even with Fightinium Z for the Z-Bulk Up option if the +2 attack boost works better in a match than All Out Pummeling.
Does Bulu just not have the typing to warrant effective set-up in the current metagame?

Why does no one use Synthesis on Tapu Bulu? It's not even listed on Bulu's dex page, but I'm pretty sure it got Synthesis in USUM.
I know AV is very popular now, but I wonder if a SpDef set could work with the moves Bulk Up, Synthesis, Horn Leech, and Superpower/Brick Break. Maybe even with Fightinium Z for the Z-Bulk Up option if the +2 attack boost works better in a match than All Out Pummeling.
Does Bulu just not have the typing to warrant effective set-up in the current metagame?
A Z-fightinium set with bulk up could work and might be good if played right, but at that point you might as well go all in on attack and speed investment because without AV, Bulu would get worn down / obliterated by the special
attackers it supposed to check. Between horn leech and grassy terrain Bulu has all the recovery it needs for Synthesis to not be sorely missed

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
is a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
A Z-fightinium set with bulk up could work and might be good if played right, but at that point you might as well go all in on attack and speed investment because without AV, Bulu would get worn down / obliterated by the special
attackers it supposed to check. Between horn leech and grassy terrain Bulu has all the recovery it needs for Synthesis to not be sorely missed
Yeah, most Bulu prefer something like stone edge, sub, or bulk up. In many situations, synthesis isn't going to help Bulu do what it does best in a game, Jarrex. Plus, there's also the fact that it's weak to things like steel, poison, ect. and wouldn't really want to synthesis on things that can't effect it by direct attacks, as all forms of status hinder Bulu greatly. For example, although most of mantine's attacks would do little to Bulu, but getting burned by a scald or being put on a timer by toxic is quite bad for that mon.

Can any HO players explain their game plan to me (in comparison to BO)? I’m most comfortable playing BO/balance with fat pivots like Pex and Bulu and Tang and generally matches sort of feel like a game of tennis and it flows nicely. I have been playing around with the Dual Screens Koko Sample team and while I know it’s effective I just generally don’t really know why I’m struggling getting anything done with it.
Hyper Offensive aim is actually really simple, use a suicide lead to get Rocks/Spikes up as well as hopefully deal some damage, then have a couple of strong wallbreakers that hit as many mons as possible for good damage and lastly a set up sweeper and often a Scarfer to clean up a game once you can outspeed and OHKO everything. Momentum is usually achieved through sacking something off or VoltTurn, swapping in is usually discouraged due to frail mons, so unless you're predicting a resisted hit it's usually better to get off as much damage as possible before you die. It's pretty fun and games do not tend to last long which is why it's great for lower ladder, but is still effective higher up.

In my opinion dual screens kind of sucks because particularly Koko is so frail and you have to take two turns of set up, which you could spend on like Dragon or Quiver Dance. Aurora Veil isn't a bad way to go low ladder, especially with 109 speed Freeze Dry. But generally screens aren't necessary, especially with so many defoggers and the fact you need Light Clay

Last edited:
Is the hypnosis + hex Gengar set a set or is it a shitty meme?
A very shitty meme.
As a person who actually tried to use it to ladder for the lulz, I can verify that it only works sometimes, and most of the time, your focus sash( the item you should be using with it) gets randomly destroyed, or someone leads with Tapu Koko which gets rid of sleep working, or Hypnosis misses. It's fun to use, but very unreliable in practice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)