Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Thanks. So iff you're not running toxic spikes, are t-bold or surf better options than sub/reflect type? And how can Latias ever outlast Tyranitar, even if the latter is poisoned?
I wouldn’t advise using two attacks just because Reflect Type is necessary to find set-up opportunities and Substitute is fantastic with status spreading and to find free turns, but Surf is at least viable to make sure you have something in worst case scenario type situations against Dark types and perhaps Heatran that lack Toxic that you want to kill without giving the opponent too many free switch turns on CM, but even that’s a pretty specific middleground type situation that generally doesn’t merit dropping the support move for the second attack.

If Tyranitar is Poisoned and Stealth Rock (or Spikes, for that matter) are up, it’s very easy to outlast Tyranitar. Consider that CB Tyranitar is compressed a ton as it lacks longevity and it is often relied on as a breaker and trapper — if you have it status’d or crippled/weakened already and you avoid a Pursuit trap or two via Substitute scout or timely Reflect Types, then it is basically dead in that scenario. Wish Clefable support for Tyranitar is often welcome for this reason, but that’s a whole other story for another post.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
How good is hyper offense in the meta rn and what would the basis of a hyper offense team look like?
Honestly, not great. Screens HO like Tapu Koko / Hawlucha / Magearna / Zygarde / Landorus-T / filler can work, but non-cheese HO is generally unused. An example can be seen: here. Outside of this, HO with lead dual hazards Greninja is passble, but far from common and often experimented with in the current metagame.

Hey, recently I saw this post on the OU Viability thread by blastablasta

“Skarmory is used on some of the most consistent teams in the game, such as James rocks Gucci's Talon Stall sitting at 90% GXE, and einracht sitting at 91% GXE.”

What are these teams, or where could I find them?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dont you think Deoxys D should be tested for OU? It has the same bulk as Mew, but without any offensive presence at all, making it inferior. I feel like this will make the meta more diverse so can you make this happen? Or to whom do i have to talk to to get a suspect going?

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
Dont you think Deoxys D should be tested for OU? It has the same bulk as Mew, but without any offensive presence at all, making it inferior. I feel like this will make the meta more diverse so can you make this happen? Or to whom do i have to talk to to get a suspect going?
This topic has come up several times before and atm, I don't think the council has any plans to suspect any Pokemon (if they did, you would know). These types of discussions usually don't end too well, so I would just leave it as is, but if you have any questions, I would recommend PM’ing one of the mods.

Last edited:
While I (and most other people) would love for a suspect test to make this tier more fresh, and a Deoxys-Defense suspect test sounds nice, the mors said before that they have no plans for a suspect test at the moment

So why is base form necrozma banned to RU? It looks way too powerful for it
This isn't really the place to ask that, so I'd recommend going to the RU version of this thread instead. Anyways, it's not banned from Ubers, OU, or UU, it simply doesn't have enough usage to reside in these tiers. Also, it may seem broken, but that's never something to go on, instead I'd recommend you try it out first.

I realize it’s niche as hell and generally inferior to toxic but Earthquake on +1 Zygarde has a 74.2% chance to 2HKO Bold Clefable vs Thousand Arrows non-existent 0.4% to do the same. I know band is a pretty old set and pretty out of favor atm but would anyone bother with running it as a 4th move?

I realize it’s niche as hell and generally inferior to toxic but Earthquake on +1 Zygarde has a 74.2% chance to 2HKO Bold Clefable vs Thousand Arrows non-existent 0.4% to do the same. I know band is a pretty old set and pretty out of favor atm but would anyone bother with running it as a 4th move?
No, Iron Tail does a better job, while also hitting Tapu Bulu.

Yes, it also pressures Mega Scizor better and is def. an option while retaining perfect accuracy.

I’m not sure if this is the right place but I don’t know where else to ask. But I’m trying anyway.

Why is Meloette Pirouette banned in all formats? I don’t see how Melotte having a type change and stat re-organise would put it so far outside the realms of reason seems like it would fit nicely into, UU or OU. I mean ultra Necrozma exists .-.

Someone explain. Or at least tell me who I should ask.

I’m not sure if this is the right place but I don’t know where else to ask. But I’m trying anyway.

Why is Meloette Pirouette banned in all formats? I don’t see how Melotte having a type change and stat re-organise would put it so far outside the realms of reason seems like it would fit nicely into, UU or OU. I mean ultra Necrozma exists .-.

Someone explain. Or at least tell me who I should ask.

Meloetta-Pirouette is banned because it is impossible to use it without having base meloetta use relic song.

I saw Avalugg in the OU tier list at C- rank, checked out its analysis and thought it was pretty cool. Are there ant notable replays of Avalugg putting in work in an OU match?

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
I saw Avalugg in the OU tier list at C- rank, checked out its analysis and thought it was pretty cool. Are there ant notable replays of Avalugg putting in work in an OU match?
It’s a bit dated and we can probably consider dropping it again soon, but earlier in the year and later last year this stall team saw a fair amount of play with it and was quite effective in practice.

I have a question regarding a Sticky Web user. Basically, I'm whirling around a hyper offense 5 pokemon OU team that needs a Sticky Web user as its 6th to give my team a speed edge. My choice oesn't have to be a OU pokemon, just a pokemon that isn't banned for OU. I'm struggling to choose between Smeargle and Ribombee right now. Not really interested in Shuckle.

The Smeargle would be something like Sticky Web/Stealth Rock/Spore/any useful move @ Focus Sash
The Ribombee would be something like Sticky Web/Moonblast/Stun Spore/ and the last slot could be Quiver Dance or Hidden Power Fire @ Focus Sash

My dilemma is: given Ribombee's excellent Speed, she can often easily set up the Web without falling prey to a Taunt. She also has some offensive presence with Moonblast, and I can swap her into predictable dragon moves to get free blasts or attempts at paralysis with stun spore. But, she's fragile as a leaf and often doesn't get to do this. More importantly Stun Spore isn't a 100% accuracy move (only works like 25% of the time for me >.>)

On the other hand Smeargle can potentially set up 2 field entries if I'm lucky but is very prone to being Taunted. However, I sometimes open with Spore, which lands 100%, and follow up with a Web. The issue is he's too slow and basically a sacrifice and has no real utility past his initial Web setup. Of the many times I've used him, I've realized that even though I can win the match, it's very rare (only twice) that I actually manage to set up both Stealth Rock and Sticky Web

So the question is: which one's better for an offensive sticky web team? Feel free to drop suggestions for other Sticky Web users I could look into ^.^

Thanks in advance

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
I have a question regarding a Sticky Web user. Basically, I'm whirling around a hyper offense 5 pokemon OU team that needs a Sticky Web user as its 6th to give my team a speed edge. My choice oesn't have to be a OU pokemon, just a pokemon that isn't banned for OU. I'm struggling to choose between Smeargle and Ribombee right now. Not really interested in Shuckle.

The Smeargle would be something like Sticky Web/Stealth Rock/Spore/any useful move @ Focus Sash
The Ribombee would be something like Sticky Web/Moonblast/Stun Spore/ and the last slot could be Quiver Dance or Hidden Power Fire @ Focus Sash

My dilemma is: given Ribombee's excellent Speed, she can often easily set up the Web without falling prey to a Taunt. She also has some offensive presence with Moonblast, and I can swap her into predictable dragon moves to get free blasts or attempts at paralysis with stun spore. But, she's fragile as a leaf and often doesn't get to do this. More importantly Stun Spore isn't a 100% accuracy move (only works like 25% of the time for me >.>)

On the other hand Smeargle can potentially set up 2 field entries if I'm lucky but is very prone to being Taunted. However, I sometimes open with Spore, which lands 100%, and follow up with a Web. The issue is he's too slow and basically a sacrifice and has no real utility past his initial Web setup. Of the many times I've used him, I've realized that even though I can win the match, it's very rare (only twice) that I actually manage to set up both Stealth Rock and Sticky Web

So the question is: which one's better for an offensive sticky web team? Feel free to drop suggestions for other Sticky Web users I could look into ^.^

Thanks in advance
The current "best" sticky web user it actually Araquanid with a set such as this, with comparatively good bulk and access to Magic Coat it can often bounce back a taunt or Stealth Rock and still carries offensive presence with a strong Liquidation. These factors allow it to semi-reliably set up Sticky Web, sometimes even more than once. The analysis I linked describes how it functions in more depth. Hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)