Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

In addition to what Felixx posted, stall still has its traditional issues in Heatran and Mega Mawile. The stall vs stall matchup is a damn headache as always. Another mon that's been seeing more use on stall is Pyukumuku but anything with Taunt and/or Sub just shits on it.

I think the basic stall build these days is Mega Sableye, Chansey, Clefable, and 3 filler mons which are usually any combination of Defog users, fat lards with Regenerator, blanket checks like Hippowdon for electrics and Jirachi for fairies, etc. Stall is something that's absolutely necessary to prep for as always, especially with it being spammed in OLT. But yeah if you have CM Lele, Hoopa-Unbound, Icium Kyurem Black, and other disgusting breakers then the stall matchup is very easy.
I wouldn't even say Mawile is as bad of a matchup anymore - Moltres can tank a Thunder Punch and Avalugg can run Groundium Z if necessary as it takes a +2 Play Rough with ease.

Hello i’m a newbie and i try to train myself at this wonderful game. So i want to play in OU but i’m a bit disapointed because the teams presented in the threads « USM OU Sample Teams V2 » seems to be not the same that the actual metagame that are discussed about the OLT.

So where i can go to see some examples of actual viable teams ?

By the way, if i understand, there are 3 types of playstyle :

Hyper Offense ( Ho)
Bulky Offense
Stall

I’ve seen some example for stall and Bulky Offense but very few example of Hyper Offense team

Thanks a lot for your help

Hello i’m a newbie and i try to train myself at this wonderful game. So i want to play in OU but i’m a bit disapointed because the teams presented in the threads « USM OU Sample Teams V2 » seems to be not the same that the actual metagame that are discussed about the OLT.

So where i can go to see some examples of actual viable teams ?

By the way, if i understand, there are 3 types of playstyle :

Hyper Offense ( Ho)
Bulky Offense
Stall

I’ve seen some example for stall and Bulky Offense but very few example of Hyper Offense team

Thanks a lot for your help
This thread has a number of examples of teams you would see in the current meta, along with explanations as to how the teams function and replays of them in action. A lot of them were created by known tournament players so there's no need to worry about their quality (apart from tszukis LOL)

Does Heracross still take a fat dump on stalls nowadays, or are the newer builds less susceptible? I know Moltres is a thing now, but Moltres doesn't KO it from full without Fire Blast/Hurricane and Rock Blast is a thing.

Where i can find an example for an actual Rain Team please ? ( With the set, there are a rain team in OLT thread but without set it’s not very utile for a newbie like me)

Where i can find an example for an actual Rain Team please ? ( With the set, there are a rain team in OLT thread but without set it’s not very utile for a newbie like me)
If you look around long enough on the OU and RMT subforums, I'm sure you can find some, but here is one from the OU Playstyle Analysis thread. There are other variations, especially those used more recently in OLT, but if you want an example of a rain team, this is basically the tried and true original variant

Does Heracross still take a fat dump on stalls nowadays, or are the newer builds less susceptible? I know Moltres is a thing now, but Moltres doesn't KO it from full without Fire Blast/Hurricane and Rock Blast is a thing.
It really depends on the stall team. It has a good matchup against most stall teams, but stall is also adapting to it too. Gliscor with a flying move is used more often now and unaware clef can 1v1 herra in a pinch (its not a counter so it is by no means a safe switch in).But yeah M Herra got more popular in part because it has a good matchup versus stall most of the time.

would a z tailwind kartana set be viable? it doubles its speed and ensures that every leaf blade is a critical hit obviously it would need support but i think its an interesting set non the less
I experimented with this set and ran an Adamant nature for extra power since Tailwind takes care of the speed drop.

Kartana @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Tailwind
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword / Swords Dance
- Night Slash / Swords Dance

First two moves are mandatory but SS + NS, SS + SD, or NS + SD for the final slots are all usable. This works more like Scarf Kartana than other Kart variants; it is insanely fast after Tailwind and cleans easily once stuff like Sciz is weakened or killed. The crit rate is also really fun since it blows back the fat mons that are hit for neutral damage.

My advice / experience: This is a fun set but only really works on offense and needs Magnezone support to really shine. Standard SD Kart and Scarf are way more splashable in comparison. Don't use Z until the very late game, but normal Tailwind earlier in battle can be useful. Keep a good Hawlucha answer handy since it walls this set.

Edit: What pooyou123456789q said

Last edited:
I experimented with this set and ran an Adamant nature for extra power since Tailwind takes care of the speed drop.

Kartana @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Tailwind
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword / Swords Dance
- Knock Off / Swords Dance

First two moves are mandatory but SS + Knock, SS + SD, or Knock + SD for the final slots are all usable. This works more like Scarf Kartana than other Kart variants; it is insanely fast after Tailwind and cleans easily once stuff like Sciz is weakened or killed. The crit rate is also really fun since it blows back the fat mons that are hit for neutral damage.

My advice / experience: This is a fun set but only really works on offense and needs Magnezone support to really shine. Standard SD Kart and Scarf are way more splashable in comparison. Don't use Z until the very late game, but normal Tailwind earlier in battle can be useful. Keep a good Hawlucha answer handy since it walls this set.
Night Slash gets guaranteed crits after z-wind, so it’s probably better than Knock Off

Can someone give me the viable Espeon sets that I've seen on Screens Koko teams?
I don't really RECOMMEND this, per se (Hawlucha is waaay better), but...

Espeon @ Electric Seed
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Morning Sun

Basically, pair this with Koko, give it the Electric Seed, and pair it with something that beats (and preferably lures) Ferrothorn/Scizor so you don't get completely walled for years. Magic Bounce is obviously fantastic as it prevents many forms of phazing, prevents hazard stacking, prevents you from being Taunted, hard-statused, etc. and makes this about as threatening as it could possibly be in this tier. Stored Power is there because it hits hard and Gleam is there because of Dark-types. Morning Sun gives it reliable recovery for a few turns but even with Screens up and at +1 it still takes a lot of damage from some heavy-hitters.

It's probably the closest thing one could get to "viable" when it comes to HO Espeon uses. It's not great in this tier but a set like this gives it a notable, however minor, role on teams build specifically around it.

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
i dont understand how this website works hidden50.github.io/brmt/#team can someone explain how to use it and explain what -1 or 6 stand for and stuff thanks
to keep it short, you’d basically select your six team members and it would point out what the biggest offensive and defensive threats were to your team, with the idea being identifying weaknesses / helping make improvements easier with a visual. this hasn’t been kept up to date and isn’t an accurate tool anymore though, so I wouldn’t recommend using it

I don't really RECOMMEND this, per se (Hawlucha is waaay better), but...

Espeon @ Electric Seed
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Morning Sun

Basically, pair this with Koko, give it the Electric Seed, and pair it with something that beats (and preferably lures) Ferrothorn/Scizor so you don't get completely walled for years. Magic Bounce is obviously fantastic as it prevents many forms of phazing, prevents hazard stacking, prevents you from being Taunted, hard-statused, etc. and makes this about as threatening as it could possibly be in this tier. Stored Power is there because it hits hard and Gleam is there because of Dark-types. Morning Sun gives it reliable recovery for a few turns but even with Screens up and at +1 it still takes a lot of damage from some heavy-hitters.

It's probably the closest thing one could get to "viable" when it comes to HO Espeon uses. It's not great in this tier but a set like this gives it a notable, however minor, role on teams build specifically around it.
This was the answer I was looking for; thanks.

In Nidoking's OU dex it states: "Sucker Punch with the help of 16 EVs invested into Attack, Nidoking can outspeed and KO Gengar and Mega Alakazam" But:

16- Atk Life Orb Nidoking Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam-Mega: 174-205 (69.3 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Possible damage amounts: (174, 174, 177, 179, 182, 185, 185, 187, 190, 192, 195, 195, 198, 200, 203, 205)

16- Atk Life Orb Nidoking Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 185-218 (70.6 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Possible damage amounts: (185, 187, 190, 190, 192, 195, 198, 200, 203, 203, 205, 208, 211, 213, 216, 218)

Neither scenario has a potential OHKO. Can anyone elaborate on the strategy Dex's recommendation?

In Nidoking's OU dex it states: "Sucker Punch with the help of 16 EVs invested into Attack, Nidoking can outspeed and KO Gengar and Mega Alakazam" But:

16- Atk Life Orb Nidoking Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam-Mega: 174-205 (69.3 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Possible damage amounts: (174, 174, 177, 179, 182, 185, 185, 187, 190, 192, 195, 195, 198, 200, 203, 205)

16- Atk Life Orb Nidoking Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 185-218 (70.6 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Possible damage amounts: (185, 187, 190, 190, 192, 195, 198, 200, 203, 203, 205, 208, 211, 213, 216, 218)

Neither scenario has a potential OHKO. Can anyone elaborate on the strategy Dex's recommendation?
Yeah so first thing is the calc ur using isnt the correct set. Nido with sucker would not run minus attack nature. Also gengar dies after Sr and 1 life orb hit to sucker non minus attack nature. So yeah that's the jist of the set. Also it ohkos regular Zam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)