Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey whats showdown gonna be doing with lets go? Will it be implemented as a side metagame or will it be ignored for the superior gen 7?

Sorry if this is wrong place to ask, if it is please tell me where i can ask
This would be a question better suited for the PS subforum. I believe such a ladder exists but it's on private servers only at this time.

1) What are good counters to Flyinium-Z Gyarados? I know Zapdos and Rotom-W but both are not that common.

2) What are good counters to DD CharX? Scarf Lando-T is kinda shaky imo.

3) Why is scarf Lando-T common? It can switch into some threats and it can defog, but its revenge killing is not very good imho. It cant revenge many common setup sweepers like Hawlucha, Volcarona, CharX, M-Gyarados, Magearna, etc.

1) What are good counters to Flyinium-Z Gyarados? I know Zapdos and Rotom-W but both are not that common.
Shuca Berry Tapu Koko is another solid check. Other than that, Ferrothorn (if you scout the Z-move) and Magearna (if Gyarados lacks Earthquake) can hold their own against Gyarados. Choice Scarf Landorus-T can also switch into a Dragon Dance and force Gyarados out with a Stone Edge. That being said, the aforementioned three are shaky answers at best.
2) What are good counters to DD CharX? Scarf Lando-T is kinda shaky imo.
It depends a lot on its moveset. Variants lacking Earthquake are complete Heatran bait and could lose to Toxapex. Variants lacking a Dragon-type STAB are victims to Garchomp—especially tankchomp—and the Mega Eon Duo (Mega Latios and Mega Latias). Lastly, without Roost, damage quickly racks up on Mega Charizard X and it opens the doors for Tapu Fini to check it.
3) Why is scarf Lando-T common? It can switch into some threats and it can defog, but its revenge killing is not very good imho. It cant revenge many common setup sweepers like Hawlucha, Volcarona, CharX, M-Gyarados, Magearna, etc.
Scarf Landorus-T is more role compression than anything. It‘s fast, physically bulky, and powerful Pokémon with Ground and Electric immunities and it can still provide Defog support to team that can’t fit it elsewhere. It just helps in a lot of facets of teambuilding and for that reason it’s so easy to fit on teams.

What makes Tapu Bulu A+ on the VR? I mean, I’m not mad or anything, if anything I’m ecstatic because Bulu has always been my favorite Tapu, I’m just curious.

What makes Tapu Bulu A+ on the VR? I mean, I’m not mad or anything, if anything I’m ecstatic because Bulu has always been my favorite Tapu, I’m just curious.
Tapu Bulu has two amazing sets. In one hand Choice Band demolishes even resistances like Tornadus-T after Stealth Rock and can act as an offensive switch in to the likes of Zygarde and Ash-Greninja still. It’s SpDef set is just as good and can keep itself healthy with Protect, Grassy Terrain, and Leftovers and can wreak some havoc with either Bulk Up or Swords Dance depending on the matchup and scenario while being a much more reliable switch into the likes of Ash-Greninja and even Tapu Lele to an extent. It’s just a really solid Pokémon all in all!

Thats true, it just checks ash-ninja and Most zygarde (the odd and almost never seen Steelium Z can demolish it), while not beeing overly passive and providing nice support to its teammates which grassy Terain (Talking bout the Spdev set) and bulu is, if played correctly, fairly long around in Most Games.
Ofc it checks other mons too.

Tapu Bulu has two amazing sets. In one hand Choice Band demolishes even resistances like Tornadus-T after Stealth Rock and can act as an offensive switch in to the likes of Zygarde and Ash-Greninja still. It’s SpDef set is just as good and can keep itself healthy with Protect, Grassy Terrain, and Leftovers and can wreak some havoc with either Bulk Up or Swords Dance depending on the matchup and scenario while being a much more reliable switch into the likes of Ash-Greninja and even Tapu Lele to an extent. It’s just a really solid Pokémon all in all!
Thats true, it just checks ash-ninja and Most zygarde (the odd and almost never seen Steelium Z can demolish it), while not beeing overly passive and providing nice support to its teammates which grassy Terain (Talking bout the Spdev set) and bulu is, if played correctly, fairly long around in Most Games.
Ofc it checks other mons too.
That's awesome! Does it fit on hyper offense or more bulky offense? If it fits on HO, what set would be more suitable for it?

What makes Mega Mawile so great?
Mega Mawile is one of the strongest breakers in the OU metagame. Solid coverage options like Knock Off, Ice Punch, Fire Fang, and Thunder Punch alongside a setup move in Swords Dance make Mega Mawile impossible to deal with defensively, while its access to Sucker Punch gives it the ability to threaten offensive teams. Its typing, combined with Intimidate, grants it many opportunities to either set up or just attack against common Pokemon such as Clefable, Tapu Bulu, and Reuniclus, allowing it to punch holes in teams relatively consistently. - Directly from his Smog dex entry.
Its pretty much that it rips apart balance, especially a lot of the cores that are currently common.

Will smogon have metagame and a viability ranking for Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee? If there are pages on smogon regarding this game can you please link me? Thank you.

Why Hawlucha is OU?
hawlucha can be a great late game sweeper between a terrain seed providing it doubled speed while still having sd, roost, and a fantastic stab combo. it still has its flaws but that’s more than enough to make it ou.
Will smogon have metagame and a viability ranking for Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee? If there are pages on smogon regarding this game can you please link me? Thank you.
it will be treated as an om. you can check their thread here. there’s also an anything goes format which you can check here.

So, with the rise in usage of Mega Mawile, Stall has made some trending changes, most notably passing on Mega Sableye for Mega Aggron, which checks Mega Mawile, among other threats. That said, Mega Aggron mandates wish support; does this make stall harder to play? When playing stall and BO, I can't imagine using Pokemon without their own reliable recovery. Am I just thinking irrationally here, or is it difficult to successfully wish pass?

On a side note, is there anything that defensively checks Mega Mawile and doesn't need wish support? I can think of a few that don't have reliable recovery, a side from the aforementioned Mega Aggron: Heatran; Ferrothorn; and an interesting one I thought of, Cofagrigus (haze, wil-o-wisp, and mummy seem like they would stop Mega Mawile, but I haven't tried because of my aversion to wish dependence).

That said, Mega Aggron mandates wish support; does this make stall harder to play?
I don't think it's mandating Wish support that makes stall harder to play when specifically referring to Mega Aggron stall. From my experience, when using Mega Aggron stall, you will be pressured a lot more to keep hazards off the field, due to the absence of Mega Sableye.

Am I just thinking irrationally here, or is it difficult to successfully wish pass?
It should not be particularly hard to position yourself in a way where you will be able to pass off a Wish to Mega Aggron.

On a side note, is there anything that defensively checks Mega Mawile and doesn't need wish support?
The only Pokemon I can really think of that would be able to do this reliably would be "fast" Hippowdon. There's also less reliable checks such as Moltres and Gliscor, which would not necessarily need Wish support.

So, with the rise in usage of Mega Mawile, Stall has made some trending changes, most notably passing on Mega Sableye for Mega Aggron, which checks Mega Mawile, among other threats. That said, Mega Aggron mandates wish support; does this make stall harder to play? When playing stall and BO, I can't imagine using Pokemon without their own reliable recovery. Am I just thinking irrationally here, or is it difficult to successfully wish pass?

On a side note, is there anything that defensively checks Mega Mawile and doesn't need wish support? I can think of a few that don't have reliable recovery, a side from the aforementioned Mega Aggron: Heatran; Ferrothorn; and an interesting one I thought of, Cofagrigus (haze, wil-o-wisp, and mummy seem like they would stop Mega Mawile, but I haven't tried because of my aversion to wish dependence).
Just wanted to add to what Jordy said, as I'm currently in the process of playing a mega-steelix stall team I spent the last few days building. Sure things can check Mega-Maw, but almost all of them bar Aggron and Steelix crumble to the correct coverage (and both of the mega-steels fear the rare focus punch). For a reliable recovery check, curse mega scizor can take on and beat any mega-mawile that lacks fire fang, but of course is eviscerated by fire fang.

Wish support can be a little tricky but depending on how well your passer draws things that aggron/steelix checks its not that hard to pass wishes.

The big issue as Jordy pointed out is not that your mega doesn't have recovery (some people run rest with heal bell support anyways), it's that you don't have mega-sab bouncing back hazards and status moves, while being a premier mega medicham counter. Aggron and Steelix play completely different from Mega-Sab and you have to replace its value with the rest of your team.

Hey Guys, im somewhat new to Showdown, im pretty interested in HO, could you please tell me , which tyes are viable atm?
An exlanation would be greatly appreciated. :)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Is there somewhere that I can find the full rulesets for Ubers and OU for every generation? I'm trying to put them into writing, but I'm having difficulty keeping track of all the bullshit little complex bans that end up being implemented in every generation. For instance, I don't recall what was done with Sand Veil in DPP, nor do I know what's been done with weather based speed-boosting abilities in BW, since for a while it seemed like they were under constant revision. Those are just examples though, I'm really after the full rulesets for each generation

Obviously I tried RoA, but no-one responded, so now I've come here and I'm gonna keep spamming every forum that seems remotely relevant until I get an answer
Late but this was something I had always meant to get around to making (and something Mr.E brings up every spl). If you were to fully ledger this out I could definitely find a place for it in the tournaments forum and elsewhere

Hey Guys, im somewhat new to Showdown, im pretty interested in HO, could you please tell me , which tyes are viable atm?
An exlanation would be greatly appreciated. :)
There's a few different variations of HO, but a lot of them tend to revolve around relatively similar threats:

Excadrill is one of the best leads: Mold Breaker allows it to set Stealth Rock up, even on Mega Sableye's Magic Bounce, hit a Rotom-W trying to Defog your hazards away since your Earthquake ignores Levitate, get Toxic off on Mega Sableye, and access to Rapid Spin lets you remove your opponent's hazards.

Landorus-Therian is another solid lead that reaches a solid 309 speed. It can get Stealth Rock up with relative ease, it can break walls with a combination of Swords Dance and Earthquake, and Explosion can either hit like a nuke and claim a kill or can act as a one-time spinblock, preventing Defog and Rapid Spin from clearing Stealth Rock for a single turn at the cost of Lando-T's own life. A single turn of momentum is crucial for HO teams and this can be awesome.

Ribombee is a dedicated Sticky Web user. Its amazing ability removes secondary effects from the opponent's moves, so it can't be threatened by Fake Out flinches that would break its Focus Sash. It has access to Stun Spore to potentially cripple something with Paralysis, it hits hard with STAB Moonblast, and can potentially run Quiver Dance to heavily pressure frailer teams.

Araquanid is a bulkier take on the Sticky Web user role Ribombee takes. It has access to a stupidly-powerful Liquidation courtesy of STAB and Water Bubble as well as the coveted Magic Coat to potentially reflect an opponent's status, hazards, or Taunt back at them. Nearly nothing wants to eat a Liquidation from Araquanid so it's by no means passive.

Greninja (Protean) is a bit more uncommon, but it has the niche of being a fast Spiker with access to Toxic Spikes and Taunt and a movepool that always keeps the opponent guessing. Toxic Spikes is Greninja's main selling point in this role as the move has incredible synergy with one of HO's staples.

Alolan Ninetales is OU's single viable Aurora Veil user but it does a pretty good job in that role. Aurora Veil allows you to get both Reflect and Light Screen up in a single turn as long as Hail is up and it boasts a decent offensive typing and a solid Speed tier to boot. A few of its more niche options are Hypnosis to threaten something with the devastating Sleep status and, ironically, Hail itself to respond to a potential Tyranitar or Pelipper switchin trying to change the weather and prevent Aurora Veil from being set up.

Tapu Koko has, in the past, taken on distinctly offensive roles; however, as of recently, it has fallen out of favor and has instead opted to run more utility-focused sets, among them being a Dual Screens set. Tapu Koko has access to Reflect and Light Screen, a blistering Speed tier, Taunt, and U-turn to act as a very slippery Screens setter with a decent amount of staying power. It also enables another one of the most devastating sweepers on HO teams.

Pelipper may seem like a pretty unconventional pick, but it is without a doubt the best rain setter in OU courtesy of Drizzle, a decent typing, and a decent movepool. Rain enables an assortment of powerful threats such as Mega Swampert and Kingdra while dialing up Ash-Greninja's power to eleven. It doesn't function like most of these sweepers, and especially not like Alolan Ninetales despite the similar abilities. Pelipper has both a rain-boosted Scald and Hydro Pump to hit hard on the Water side, a powerful and accurate Hurricane to hit Flying-weak threats, access to Defog to control hazards, U-turn to gather momentum on predicted switches, and Roost for reliable recovery. It's a weather setter, but it's a fantastic one at that.

Zygarde is probably the single best thing you could ever put on a non-rain Offense team, and for a damn good reason: it has it all, from titanic bulk even without the support of screens to several different setup moves to disgustingly bulky Substitutes to fantastic coverage in a single moveslot to a few options outside of Thousand Arrows to put the hurt on many threats, especially with its Weakness Policy set. It also has access to Glare, which is an immeasurably annoying move that paralyzes anything that isn't an Electric type and allows Zygarde to potentially cheese through literally anything, including would-be counters, with a little luck on its side. Zygarde especially shines on Screens and Veil teams, where the temporarily-doubled bulk gives Zygarde's beefy Substitutes even more staying power and Zygarde can gain significantly more opportunities to set up Dragon Dances and Coils or to just generally hit extremely hard. If you are using a Screens or Aurora Veil team, Zygarde should probably be on said team. It's that good on HO. Seriously.

Magearna is another fantastic sweeper on HO teams, given its access to both Calm Mind to boost its damage output and Special bulk and Shift Gear to double its Speed and a laundry list of incredibly powerful moves with fantastic coverage, although you'll likely see Ice Beam and Thunderbolt on a HO Magearna. It can viably run several Z-moves and can potentially substitute either of those coverage moves for a powerful Fairium Z or Fightinium Z set or it can just opt to run an Electrium Z set to make its Thunderbolt a devastating one-time nuke as opposed to just running Leftovers. Another set I've occasionally seen is Weakness Policy Magearna, which opts to drop Calm Mind for an additional coverage option or a STAB since it baits in so many super effective hits.

Gyarados and Mega Gyarados are two more excellent picks on Hyper Offense teams since they have decent bulk and typings and a pretty damn frightening offensive presence. Regular Gyarados tends to run Moxie and Flyinium Z to give it a Supersonic Skystrike out of its STAB Bounce that, at +1, pretty much always picks up a kill. It pressures Tangrowth and Tapu Bulu, which are two good Zygarde checks, tremendously as a result, but it doesn't have as favorable of a Stall matchup as its Mega counterpart. Mega Gyarados tends to run Intimidate in its base form to give it even further increased bulk, and its access to Mold Breaker gives it a tremendous edge over Stall teams that may give other sweepers some trouble either through access to Mold Breaker Taunt or by simply allowing it to bruteforce its way past Unaware walls that would stop regular Gyarados. Furthermore, Mega Gyarados naturally checks Ash-Greninja defensively, which is a tremendous boon for Hyper Offense teams since Ash-Greninja gives them so much trouble. This cannot be stressed enough. Both Gyarados variants should be considered for many HO teams, especially since they can keep your opponent guessing during Team Preview.

Hawlucha is frequently paired with Tapu Koko, it always runs Unburden with an Electric Seed when paired alongside Tapu Koko, and it is an absolute bastard if it is not prepared for. Flying+Fighting STAB gives Hawlucha impeccable coverage on the majority of the metagame barring Zapdos and Hawlucha at +2 is one of the fastest things you will ever encounter in the Overused tier, generally opting to hit 303 Speed to outpace the fastest Jolly Sand Rush Excadrills after Unburden activates. It has reliable recovery, its STABs have tremendous base power as-is, and its Swords Dance boosts can push it incredibly far over the edge. Hawlucha most certainly isn't what it once was, but it's still one of the fiercest setup sweepers in OU, period.

Mega Swampert and Kingdra are both fine abusers of Swift Swim, although Mega Swampert tends to be better in general. They cover one-another's checks incredibly well and they hit like nukes from orbit from different ends of the defensive spectrum. Mega Swampert with Pelipper's Drizzle support is one of the most terrifying combinations of a Wallbreaker and a lategame cleaner you'll ever come across, and Kingdra is a little overlooked to the point where it tends to catch people by surprise as well.

Ash-Greninja isn't a setup sweeper like Zygarde, nor is it a Swift Swim abuser like Mega Swampert and Kingdra, but it still combines its incredible Speed tier with its ludicrous Special Attack stat backed further by Choice Specs with the 50% boost from Pelipper's Drizzle to give it a Hydro Pump that can, after some chip damage, bring even the mighty Chansey to its knees with a 75% chance to 2HKO it after a single turn of Stealth Rock Damage and a Water Shuriken that decimates faster threats. This is largely why it is considered a better alternative to Kingdra on these teams; it just hits so damn hard, man.

Serperior is another terrifying prospect for many teams to fight due to its amazing ability in Contrary (which basically lets Leaf Storm boost its Special Attack every turn) alongside its decent bulk and defensive typing alongside its limited but incredible specialized support movepool. One of Serperior's most infamous sets in this tier is SubSeed+Glare, which can cheese its way through virtually anything by virtue of Glare's guaranteed Paralysis giving it potential opportunities to set up a Substitute, Leech Seed, or potentially both. A single good prediction with SubSeed+Glare Serperior can allow it to beat almost anything it outspeeds, including Heatran, without even directly attacking it, and all the while it's still capable of picking up boosts through Leaf Storm and tearing through the opponent's team thereafter.

Blacephalon has min/maxed stats to the point where it is able to obtain Speed boosts from Beast Boost with 20 Special Attack EVs and maximum speed investment with a Timid nature, allowing it to dump the rest of its EVs into bulk for a semblance of staying power. Substitute+CM+Ghostium Z Blacephalon utilizes its Ghost typing to get free setup opportunities on quite a few threats before it blows them back with a +1 Never-Ending Nightmare. Every kill this set obtains makes it increasingly-difficult to revenge kill since it isn't obtaining Special Attack boosts anymore.

Though this is overall a very simplified breakdown of Hyper Offense (and to a lesser extent Rain; I still lump it under this "HO" banner even though it technically isn't) teams, it is still pretty reasonable to say that most things you'd end up using on said teams fall into one of these two categories. You have the sweepers that can barrel through an opponent's team with little difficulty once enabled, and you have the enablers that allow these sweepers to get to this level. When building a Hyper Offense team, you want to try covering stuff defensively not by virtue of defensive investment but by virtue of natural bulk and typing. Mega Gyarados naturally checks Ash-Greninja. Hawlucha naturally checks Tangrowth and Ferrothorn. Zygarde naturally checks many slower Ground-weak threats. Magearna naturally checks several Protean Greninja variants. Just remember: HO is extremely inconsistent, even if it has incredible potential peaks. Webs is probably the worst of the "specialized" HO teams, but you're usually going to know very quickly whether you will win or lose because HO teams tend to win or lose in a couple dozen turns at most. I'd probably recommend either a bog-standard HO team or Screens/Veil since they can get overwhelming for an opponent pretty quickly on the ladder, but don't expect playstyles like these to always work in tournament settings. Moreover, there are still other things you can probably make work on these types of teams; I just gave you some of the most powerful things you'd find on them. You can work from there, though HO teams tend to be a little rigid.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How does one get started playing in tournaments? Been playing the ladder off and on for a long time.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/tournaments.34/

Just look around there every now and again so you can have the best chance at singing up for a tournament. You can also participate in OU forum tours when they happen (although not frequently) and there are lots of unofficial tours that happen in OU room on PS (big hit or miss with these though). OLT doesn't start until July of next year iirc but if you really want to try and get noticed that's the best way to start imo. I recommend just sticking to unofficial tours for now to get your feet wet and see if it's something you enjoy.

Late but this was something I had always meant to get around to making (and something Mr.E brings up every spl). If you were to fully ledger this out I could definitely find a place for it in the tournaments forum and elsewhere
I actually did manage to cobble together rulesets for OU, based on /tier on PS and whatever I could find on the site clarifying whatever was necessary. They'd probably need verification of course, but I think they're accurate. Also it's worth noting that I was compiling the rulesets for irl tours, so idk I might've missed something in terms of clauses.

All formats implement Species and Sleep Clauses. Also, evasion moves, OHKO moves and Moody are banned in all relevant generations. These will not be listed below because that'd be redundant. If it's convenient, I'll list the moves here though
Evasion and OHKO (gen 1&2): Double Team, Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, Minimize
Evasion and OHKO (gen 3 onwards): Double Team, Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, Minimize , Sheer Cold

Tbh it's probably easier to just say "Ubers are banned" and point them to the appropriate page in the smogdex or whatever, rather than listing all pokemon that are banned, since the smogdex is a much more user-friendly way of displaying that info, even if it means an additional click.

RBY OU
  • Freeze Clause
  • Cleric Clause
  • Banned Pokemon: Mew, Mewtwo
  • Banned Moves: Dig, Fly, Psywave
  • Tradebacks from GSC are not permitted
GSC OU
  • Freeze Clause
  • Cleric Clause
  • Banned Pokemon: Celebi, Ho-oh, Lugia, Mew, Mewtwo
  • SleepTrap ban: having a sleep inducing move and Mean Look or Spider Web on a single moveset is not permitted
ADV OU
  • Banned Pokemon: Deoxys (all formes), Groudon, Ho-oh, Kyogre, Latias, Latios, Lugia, Mew, Mewtwo, Rayquaza, Wobbuffet, Wynaut
  • Baton Pass clause: Smeargle cannot have both Ingrain and Baton Pass in its moveset
HGSS OU
  • Banned Pokemon: Arceus (all forms), Darkrai, Deoxys (all forms), Dialga, Garchomp, Giratina (all forms), Groudon, Ho-oh, Kyogre, Latias*, Latios, Lugia, Manaphy, Mew, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Salamence, Shaymin-S, Wobbuffet, Wynaut
  • Banned abilities: Sand Veil, Snow Cloak
  • Baton Pass clause: teams are not permitted to have more than one Pokemon with Baton Pass, and it may not be capable of passing Speed and any other stat simultaneously
*Haven't accounted for Latias retest. If people decide they want it to be unbanned, then I guess remove Latias and ban Soul Dew.

BW2 OU
  • Banned Pokemon: Arceus (all forms), Blaziken, Darkrai, Deoxys (all forms), Dialga, Genesect, Giratina (both forms), Groudon, Ho-oh, Kyogre, Kyurem-W, Landorus, Lugia, Manaphy, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Shaymin-S, Thundurus, Tornadus-T, Zekrom
  • Banned abilities: Arena Trap, Moody, Sand Rush, Sand Veil, Snow Cloak
  • Banned items: Soul Dew
  • Banned moves: Swagger
  • Baton Pass clause: teams are not permitted to have more than one Pokemon with Baton Pass, and it may not be capable of passing Speed and any other stat simultaneously
  • Teams are not permitted to combine Pokemon that have the abilities Drizzle and Swift Swim, or Drought and Chlorophyll.
ORAS OU
  • Banned Pokemon: Aegislash, Arceus (all forms), Blaziken, Darkrai, Deoxys (all forms), Dialga, Genesect, Gengar-Mega, Giratina (both forms), Greninja, Groudon (including Primal), Ho-oh, Hoopa-U, Kangaskhan-Mega, Kyogre (including Primal), Kyurem-W, Landorus, Lucario-Mega, Lugia, Mawile-Mega, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Sableye-Mega, Salamence-Mega, Shaymin-S, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zekrom
  • Banned abilities: Arena Trap, Shadow Tag
  • Banned moves: Baton Pass, Swagger
USUM OU
  • Banned Pokemon: Aegislash, Arceus (all forms), Blaziken, Darkrai, Deoxys (all forms), Dialga, Genesect, Gengar-Mega, Giratina (both forms), Groudon (including Primal), Ho-oh, Kangaskhan-Mega, Kyogre (including Primal), Kyurem-W, Landorus, Lucario-Mega, Lugia, Lunala, Marshadow, Metagross-Mega, Mewtwo, Naganadel, Necrozma-DM, Necrozma-DW, Palkia, Pheromosa, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Salamence-Mega, Shaymin-S, Solgaleo, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zekrom, Zygarde-C
  • Banned abilities: Arena Trap, Power Construct, Shadow Tag
  • Banned moves: Baton Pass

edit: ty GMars

Last edited:

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I actually did manage to cobble together rulesets for OU, based on /tier on PS and whatever I could find on the site clarifying whatever was necessary. They'd probably need verification of course, but I think they're accurate. Also it's worth noting that I was compiling the rulesets for irl tours, so idk I might've missed something in terms of clauses.

All formats implement Species and Sleep Clauses. Also, evasion moves, OHKO moves and Moody are banned in all relevant generations. These will not be listed below because that'd be redundant. If it's convenient, I'll list the moves here though
Evasion and OHKO (gen 1&2): Double Team, Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, Minimize
Evasion and OHKO (gen 3 onwards): Double Team, Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, Minimize , Sheer Cold

Tbh it's probably easier to just say "Ubers are banned" and point them to the appropriate page in the smogdex or whatever, rather than listing all pokemon that are banned, since the smogdex is a much more user-friendly way of displaying that info, even if it means an additional click.

RBY OU
  • Freeze Clause
  • Cleric Clause
  • Banned Pokemon: Mew, Mewtwo
  • Banned Moves: Dig, Fly, Psywave
  • Tradebacks from GSC are not permitted
GSC OU
  • Freeze Clause
  • Cleric Clause
  • Banned Pokemon: Celebi, Ho-oh, Lugia, Mew, Mewtwo
  • SleepTrap ban: having a sleep inducing move and Mean Look or Spider Web on a single moveset is not permitted
ADV OU
  • Banned Pokemon: Deoxys (all formes), Groudon, Ho-oh, Kyogre, Latias, Latios, Lugia, Mew, Mewtwo, Rayquaza, Wobbuffet, Wynaut
  • Baton Pass clause: Smeargle cannot have both Ingrain and Baton Pass in its moveset
HGSS OU
  • Banned Pokemon: Arceus (all forms), Darkrai, Deoxys (all forms), Dialga, Garchomp, Giratina (all forms), Groudon, Ho-oh, Kyogre, Latias*, Latios, Lugia, Manaphy, Mew, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Salamence, Shaymin-S, Wobbuffet, Wynaut
  • Banned abilities: Sand Veil, Snow Cloak
*Haven't accounted for Latias retest. If people decide they want it to be unbanned, then I guess remove Latias and ban Soul Dew.

BW2 OU
  • Banned Pokemon: Arceus (all forms), Blaziken, Darkrai, Deoxys (all forms), Dialga, Genesect, Giratina (both forms), Groudon, Ho-oh, Kyogre, Kyurem-W, Landorus, Lugia, Manaphy, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Shaymin-S, Thundurus, Tornadus-T, Zekrom
  • Banned abilities: Arena Trap, Moody, Sand Rush, Sand Veil, Snow Cloak
  • Banned moves: Swagger
  • Teams are not permitted to combine Pokemon that have the abilities Drizzle and Swift Swim, or Drought and Chlorophyll.
ORAS OU
  • Banned Pokemon: Aegislash, Arceus (all forms), Blaziken, Darkrai, Deoxys (all forms), Dialga, Genesect, Gengar-Mega, Giratina (both forms), Greninja, Groudon (including Primal), Ho-oh, Hoopa-U, Kangaskhan-Mega, Kyogre (including Primal), Kyurem-W, Landorus, Lucario-Mega, Lugia, Mawile-Mega, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Sableye-Mega, Salamence-Mega, Shaymin-S, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zekrom
  • Banned abilities: Arena Trap, Shadow Tag
USUM OU
  • Banned Pokemon: Aegislash, Arceus (all forms), Blaziken, Darkrai, Deoxys (all forms), Dialga, Genesect, Gengar-Mega, Giratina (both forms), Groudon (including Primal), Ho-oh, Kangaskhan-Mega, Kyogre (including Primal), Kyurem-W, Landorus, Lucario-Mega, Lugia, Lunala, Marshadow, Metagross-Mega, Mewtwo, Naganadel, Necrozma-DM, Necrozma-DW, Palkia, Pheromosa, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Salamence-Mega, Shaymin-S, Solgaleo, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zekrom, Zygarde-C
  • Banned abilities: Arena Trap, Power Construct, Shadow Tag
Swagger is legal in USUM OU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)