Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

What are the advantages of dual screen koko over av ninetales? I presume initiative with taunt and u-turn plays a huge role, but are there other benefits that would make dual screens better?
Better speed, Taunt is a huge advantage, also u turn is useful for set up mons, and koko doesnt chip away your mons as ninatales does because of hail damage, which can be huge surviving some hits

Weavile is by no means a defensive counter. A defensive counter can safely switch-in and defeat it. Weavile cannot tank many hits, sometimes even straight-up dying to offensive variants of Zygarde.

Tangrowth, Clefable, Avalugg, Ice Beam Slowbro, and Ice Beam Mew are the cloest you get to Zygarde counters probably.
Ok thanks for letting me know!

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
After the suspect test, when will the vr thread be updated?
It should take a few weeks if Zygarde gets banned because we'll experience some new changes in the metagame and it's very easy for people to overhype certain mons like Heatran following Zygarde's ban. Some mons might be better, some new mons may gain their niche and either way, it will take a decent amount of time to see how and what people will use. SPL's right around the corner, so we're bound to see some interesting teams and mons, and it's better to wait and observe the new metagame rather than jumping the gun.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
When are we going to change the image of the OU VR? Now that Zygarde needs to be separated from his family.
TBD. I will be discussing this in the near future and will follow-up when I know.

With regards to the thread itself being updated and opened: Whenever we have a good idea of the post-suspect metagame. It could be a couple days or it could be a couple weeks. We are not going to rush it as we want to promote the most accurate list and discussion as possible.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Why was Zygarde banned to Ubers? ( I don't understand because of how fragile it is)

And why is Black Kyurem OU, but White Kyurem is Ubers?
108 HP with 121 Defense and 95 SpD is far from fragile, you can read the reasoning in the suspect thread pinned at the top of the forum. Kyurem White is quite different from Kyube, it has its special attack and attack stats inverted so it can be incredibly hard to switch into with the combination of Ice Beam and Fusion Flare. It also has Draco Meteor instead of Outrage which hits for more damage on the special side and doesnt prevent it from switching out. All in all its special movepool is far better than Kyube's physical movepool and it would be too powerful for ou

108 HP with 121 Defense and 95 SpD is far from fragile, you can read the reasoning in the suspect thread pinned at the top of the forum. Kyurem White is quite different from Kyube, it has its special attack and attack stats inverted so it can be incredibly hard to switch into with the combination of Ice Beam and Fusion Flare. It also has Draco Meteor instead of Outrage which hits for more damage on the special side and doesnt prevent it from switching out. All in all its special movepool is far better than Kyube's physical movepool and it would be too powerful for ou

The only thing about Zygarde.
He EASILY goes down to 1 Ice beam, without a berry or sash.
That's what I mean by fragile

So is electrode actually a thing or is a meme?

I mean ppl say that its usable as a fast screens setter but isn't koko just better

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean ppl say that its usable as a fast screens setter but isn't koko just better
It's SUPER niche but it has higher Speed and Explosion over U-turn, which are notable enough to make it worth considering over Koko in some cases if you aren't using Hawlucha. Though I probably wouldn't even consider using any sort of a Hyper Offense team now that Zygarde is (questionably) banned.

It's SUPER niche but it has higher Speed and Explosion over U-turn, which are notable enough to make it worth considering over Koko in some cases if you aren't using Hawlucha. Though I probably wouldn't even consider using any sort of a Hyper Offense team now that Zygarde is (questionably) banned.
I'm not sure if the last point is exactly true. There are still a lot of frightening Dragon Dance users out there like Mega Charizard X, Mega Tyranitar, both formes of Gyarados, Kommo-o and (even) Dragonite. Team structures may have to change because Zygarde did provide a lot of valuable bulk for HO teams, but I think HO is still a very valid playstyle.

I know this is a meme to pretend zygarde has chansey bulk but alomomola has 40 spa and this was a max spdef zygarde.

A better example to showcase zygardes spdef wouldve been clefables moonblast, koko hpice or gastrodons ice beam doing to show that it does not ohko despite se damage

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I know this is a meme to pretend zygarde has chansey bulk but alomomola has 40 spa and this was a max spdef zygarde.

A better example to showcase zygardes spdef wouldve been clefables moonblast, koko hpice or gastrodons ice beam doing to show that it does not ohko despite se damage
It doesn't matter if Alomomola had 5 SpA or Zygarde is -SpD.

The point is that Zygarde does not die to a stray Ice Beam like it was presented by the poster. This is just unnecessary nitpicking at this point.

It doesn't matter if Alomomola had 5 SpA or Zygarde is -SpD.

The point is that Zygarde does not die to a stray Ice Beam like it was presented by the poster. This is just unnecessary nitpicking at this point.
Bringing up Alomomola ice beam when talking about Zygardes 4x weakness to it is the epitome of nitpicking. That calc could not be more irrelevant. The only thing it shows is that Zygarde can't even sub up on alomomola but yeah... chansey bulk I guess.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Bringing up Alomomola ice beam when talking about Zygardes 4x weakness to it is the epitome of nitpicking. That calc could not be more irrelevant. The only thing it shows is that Zygarde can't even sub up on alomomola but yeah... chansey bulk I guess.
Considering the calculation in question was within a tournament game of all things, I would call that much more relevant than Lord Helix's (bad) nitpick.

Either way, there's no further reason to carry out on this. Let's go back to actual questions and answers from here and draw the line in the sand. The person's question was answered by Finch anyway.

Considering the calculation in question was within a tournament game of all things, I would call that much more relevant than Lord Helix's (bad) nitpick.

Either way, there's no further reason to carry out on this. Let's go back to actual questions and answers from here and draw the line in the sand. The person's question was answered by Finch anyway.
I think this is important because you just told me that if someone in a tournament put HP fire on alomomola to counter Kartana, this calc would become relevant, showing it`s phenomenal special bulk.
Finch didn`t answer the question. He repeated the people above him, adding a sharp statement about the Zyg ban to that one liner. But yeah, no point to carry this on anymore. I agree.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
I think this is important because you just told me that if someone in a tournament put HP fire on alomomola to counter Kartana, this calc would become relevant, showing it`s phenomenal special bulk.
Finch didn`t answer the question. He repeated the people above him, adding a sharp statement about the Zyg ban to that one liner. But yeah, no point to carry this on anymore. I agree.
If someone in a tournament brought HP Fire Alomomola to counter Kartana they probably aren't going to get very far considering Alomomola is slower and weak to Leaf Blade (Choice Band nearly OHKOes it with Stealth Rock in play). So no it wouldn't really become relevant either. Alomomola having Ice Beam is still relevant since it could check non-Toxic Zygardes at the very least, but again the focal point of the post was to demonstrate it doesn't die to a stray Ice Beam as the person who posted the question intended.

Now if you said to lure Kartana then sure maybe.

I didnt want to respond but the last post was so absurd I felt I didn't really have a choice. Nevermind Finch did answer the person via PMs so I'm not sure why you're being so aggressive about it.

If someone in a tournament brought HP Fire Alomomola to counter Kartana they probably aren't going to get very far considering Alomomola is slower and weak to Leaf Blade (Choice Band nearly OHKOes it with Stealth Rock in play). So no it wouldn't really become relevant either. Alomomola having Ice Beam is still relevant since it could check non-Toxic Zygardes at the very least, but again the focal point of the post was to demonstrate it doesn't die to a stray Ice Beam as the person who posted the question intended.

Now if you said to lure Kartana then sure maybe.

I didnt want to respond but the last post was so absurd I felt I didn't really have a choice. Nevermind Finch did answer the person via PMs so I'm not sure why you're being so aggressive about it.
You are right on the last part. My bad for phrasing it inaccurate. Still, the whole Ice beam calc thing doesn't make sense because it should be obvious that you can't just put super effective moves on a mon with no offensive capabilities and call it a check.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)