Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Maybe it's a bit too early to ask, but is (Mega) Slowbro still worth using after Zygarde ban?
Although checks to Zygarde aren't necessary anymore, Mega Slowbro is still quite an amazing physical wall. It checks Hawlucha, Mega Medicham, Mega Lopunny, and even Mega Pinsir and Swords Dance LandoT to an extent. It's also able to threaten Grass-types like Tangrowth or Tapu Bulu with Ice Beam or Fire Blast. Even tho it faces huge competition with Toxapex and Alomomola, Slowbro has more offensive presence, and can even serve as a wincon with Calm Mind. I'd say it's still worth using Mega Slowbro, and having Zygarde gone only means it checks one less Pokemon.

Also make sure you don't Mega Evolve immediately. Mega Evolve only until Slowbro no longer needs Regenerator.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask a question like this, so please forgive me if it isn't, but I am confused by something that happened in a BSS Rating battle regarding Speed:

I had a Mega Metagross (110 base Speed) with 252 Spe EVs and a Jolly Nature against a Mega Charizard Y (100 base Speed). Somehow he moved before me... how is this possible; even if he has max Speed EVs and + Speed nature, so do I - and I have higher base Speed. He can't have Choice Scarf because he has a mega stone.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not sure if this is the right place to ask a question like this, so please forgive me if it isn't, but I am confused by something that happened in a BSS Rating battle regarding Speed:

I had a Mega Metagross (110 base Speed) with 252 Spe EVs and a Jolly Nature against a Mega Charizard Y (100 base Speed). Somehow he moved before me... how is this possible; even if he has max Speed EVs and + Speed nature, so do I - and I have higher base Speed. He can't have Choice Scarf because he has a mega stone.
The only ways that this is possible is as follows:

- Sticky Web against your Mega Metagross (after transformation)
- Tailwind on Zard Y's team
- Hammer Arm from Mega Metagross (-1 Speed after hitting an opponent)
- Flame Charge from Zard Y (which would thus increase its Speed)
- Your Mega Metagross is not EV'd properly or has the wrong nature

Speed passing is also possible via Baton Pass.

is it bad if your team is weak to a specific mon (especially a very prominent one) despite how good it is against everything else?

I ask this because I find that it's very hard to build a team that is able to counter/check certain threats
:pikuh:

The only ways that this is possible is as follows:

- Sticky Web against your Mega Metagross (after transformation)
- Tailwind on Zard Y's team
- Hammer Arm from Mega Metagross (-1 Speed after hitting an opponent)
- Flame Charge from Zard Y (which would thus increase its Speed)
- Your Mega Metagross is not EV'd properly or has the wrong nature

Speed passing is also possible via Baton Pass.
Hm... I am quite certain none of these things occurred. My Metagross has max Speed EVs (sparkling on the Summary screen) and a Jolly nature. The Charizard had used Solar Beam and then Fire Blast before I switched in my Meta for the first time that match. I mega-evolved and chose a move (Zen Headbutt), and somehow he went before me with Fire Blast.

For example, your team can be weak to Ash-Gren (A very common offensive threat) but it fairs VERY well against all the other huge meta threats

Does that make the team bad overall or it can still be usable?

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
is it bad if your team is weak to a specific mon (especially a very prominent one) despite how good it is against everything else?

I ask this because I find that it's very hard to build a team that is able to counter/check certain threats
:pikuh:
For example, your team can be weak to Ash-Gren (A very common offensive threat) but it fairs VERY well against all the other huge meta threats

Does that make the team bad overall or it can still be usable?
Every team isn't perfect; they will always have some weaknesses. This post on r/stunfisk is very useful in finding your team's major weaknesses and how to fix them, atleast for me, though it is time consuming.

edit: had to fix link lol

Last edited:
For OU, I think it's acceptable to be weak to some rarely seen threats like Dragonite or Mega Altaria, but if your team is weak to commonly seen threats, for example, Ash Gren, Magearna, or Heatran, then I think you should reconsider your team

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hm... I am quite certain none of these things occurred. My Metagross has max Speed EVs (sparkling on the Summary screen) and a Jolly nature. The Charizard had used Solar Beam and then Fire Blast before I switched in my Meta for the first time that match. I mega-evolved and chose a move (Zen Headbutt), and somehow he went before me with Fire Blast.
Then unless for some reason you were playing Gen 6 (which has a different mechanic with Megas), I'm not sure what happened. I would go to the Cartridgw Metagame threads, especially for BSS, and ask there. I would also have the code with the battle ready to be evaluated further.

When are the sample teams getting updated? Feels like it's been so long since the last update and that's one of the best resources for newer players to focus on improving their play instead of worrying about teambuilding.

BO means bulky offense, which uses bulky attackers in general. HO stands for hyper offense and uses hazard stacking leads with set up sweepers and other offensive mons.

Then unless for some reason you were playing Gen 6 (which has a different mechanic with Megas), I'm not sure what happened. I would go to the Cartridgw Metagame threads, especially for BSS, and ask there. I would also have the code with the battle ready to be evaluated further.
Is there any way to retrieve the code of a battle if I didn't save the Battle Video?

I’m not sure if this question is simple, but I would very much appreciate if someone could answer it.

I’m doing a bit of an experiment, and currently I’m looking into pokemon abilities. Specifically, I’m looking at Sheer Force. For this case study I give the following two pokemon: Darmanitan and Landorus I. Although both possess Sheer Force as an ability and use it, Landorus I is banned wheras Darmanitan is in RUBL.

My question is: why is this the case? Both pokemon have similar offensive spreads (140AT/95SP vs 115SA/101SP) with Darmanitans being better assuming both hold a life orb. They both have and utilize Sheer Force, so what is the difference between the two which makes them so distinct in tiering?

The working hypothesis is Landorus I has a better speed tier, ground stab and slightly higher defenses. However I’d like anyone who can to check me on this logic. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: gum
I’m not sure if this question is simple, but I would very much appreciate if someone could answer it.

I’m doing a bit of an experiment, and currently I’m looking into pokemon abilities. Specifically, I’m looking at Sheer Force. For this case study I give the following two pokemon: Darmanitan and Landorus I. Although both possess Sheer Force as an ability and use it, Landorus I is banned wheras Darmanitan is in RUBL.

My question is: why is this the case? Both pokemon have similar offensive spreads (140AT/95SP vs 115SA/101SP) with Darmanitans being better assuming both hold a life orb. They both have and utilize Sheer Force, so what is the difference between the two which makes them so distinct in tiering?

The working hypothesis is Landorus I has a better speed tier, ground stab and slightly higher defenses. However I’d like anyone who can to check me on this logic. Thanks in advance.
Lando-I was better because it had a better speed tier, its typing is exponentially better defensively, its movepool consists of more than just Flare Blitz and three fillers (Rock Slide on mixed sets, Sludge Wave and Psychic to hit specific targets if needed, U-turn for momentum, Knock Off to punish the shit out of Chansey, and more), it has access to Rock Polish to shit on offense by giving it a stupidly high Speed tier, it has Calm Mind to shit on Stall since Chansey eventually can't stomach its boosted Earth Powers, and its bulk is slightly better. So you're kinda right, but Lando-I had so, so, so much more than just what you mentioned.

Darmanitan is worse because Fire is a horrendous defensive typing making it prone to all entry hazards, its best and most spammable move is laughed at by Heatran, and that very same move in Flare Blitz puts it on a hard timer because of the massive recoil. This overall means that its bulk is just abysmal, especially when compared to the likes of Landorus-I.

So basically, you're not wrong, but you're oversimplifying why Landorus-I was so insanely good in this tier compared to Darmanitan.

Lando-I was better because it had a better speed tier, its typing is exponentially better defensively, its movepool consists of more than just Flare Blitz and three fillers (Rock Slide on mixed sets, Sludge Wave and Psychic to hit specific targets if needed, U-turn for momentum, Knock Off to punish the shit out of Chansey, and more), it has access to Rock Polish to shit on offense by giving it a stupidly high Speed tier, it has Calm Mind to shit on Stall since Chansey eventually can't stomach its boosted Earth Powers, and its bulk is slightly better. So you're kinda right, but Lando-I had so, so, so much more than just what you mentioned.

Darmanitan is worse because Fire is a horrendous defensive typing making it prone to all entry hazards, its best and most spammable move is laughed at by Heatran, and that very same move in Flare Blitz puts it on a hard timer because of the massive recoil. This overall means that its bulk is just abysmal, especially when compared to the likes of Landorus-I.

So basically, you're not wrong, but you're oversimplifying why Landorus-I was so insanely good in this tier compared to Darmanitan.
Thank you for your in depth response! This is why I ask questions to people who know the tier better than me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)