Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Any idea what can defog on SD SR Lando? I didn't that was really a set, but I imagine it'll pick up some usage after being featured on Finch's team that was on Facebook.

I was having a similar problem with Terrakion in UU, and from what I've been told about SD SR sets is that you have to just let them get up rocks, and switch to a non-defogger check (like unaware Clefable), and just defog later. But this is problematic for several reasons. First of all, rocks can turn checks into non-checks, which is especially relevant for defoggers, as most are flying types weak to rock. This makes it difficult to switch defoggers in after rocks are up. Secondly, this problem can be compounded by your opponent predicting switches, and double switching.

Any idea what can defog on SD SR Lando? I didn't that was really a set, but I imagine it'll pick up some usage after being featured on Finch's team that was on Facebook.
Zapdos if it's Flynium Z and Mega Latias if it's Rockium Z. Defog Mega Latias isn't really good, but it's the only one that comes to mind.

I think that Mega Aggron and Kommo-o should rise to C+. Volcanion and Bisharp should definitely drop from C+ to C or maybe even lower in Volcanion's case. I think that Mega Charizard Y, Slowbro, Mega Slowbro, and Pyukumuku fit into C+ a lot better right now. I'm aware that I didn't mention Mega Garchomp, but I have good reason for that, being that it should be B/B+ rather than C+.
Maybe you could list more examples?

Maybe you could list more examples?
I don't really think anything else other than maybe Azumarill should be in C+. Azumarill's been seeing some more usage on rain and hyper offensive teams, but I think it's too early to judge whether it's a legitimate Pokemon or just a little wave, though its showing in SPL was admittedly pretty convincing.

Last edited:
Can someone explain to me why this gen MLatios and MGarchomp are considered good when the previous gen you had almost no reason to use them over their regular LO variant? What changed this gen and why can't you just use a life orb which outdamages the mega forms and use the mega slot for another mon?

Can someone explain to me why this gen MLatios and MGarchomp are considered good when the previous gen you had almost no reason to use them over their regular LO variant? What changed this gen and why can't you just use a life orb which outdamages the mega forms and use the mega slot for another mon?
The mega slot isn't as important this gen, so the opportunity cost isn't as high. The added bulk also helps. Mega Latios and Mega Garchomp also frequently run mixed sets, where the added power of Life Orb doesn't actually out damage. For example:

4 Atk Latios-Mega Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heatran: 344-408 (106.5 - 126.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 Atk Life Orb Latios Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heatran: 328-390 (101.5 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Garchomp-Mega Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Ferrothorn: 332-392 (94.3 - 111.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Ferrothorn: 328-390 (93.1 - 110.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

LO's chip damage after each attack reduces your overall longevity, and the meta has evolved to a point where you need to keep your valuable Heatran check or Greninja healthy. Also megas gives you extra bulk that can save some games in a pinch:

252+ SpA Flash Fire Heatran Magma Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 123-146 (40.8 - 48.5%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after trapping damage
252+ SpA Flash Fire Heatran Magma Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latios-Mega: 114-135 (37.8 - 44.8%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO after trapping damage

On the other hand, LO also got a severe hit as Z-Moves are a lot more reliable at getting rid of a check, as they provide "extra accurasy" (or just a perfect accurasy nuke). For example:

252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Zapdos: 231-273 (60.3 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (note that the attack can miss)
252 Atk Garchomp Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Zapdos: 316-374 (82.5 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (this attack never misses)

Other examples as well (note: may be a lot of calcs):
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Landorus-Therian Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 175-207 (52.5 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Landorus-Therian Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 241-284 (72.3 - 85.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Ferrothorn: 328-390 (93.1 - 110.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Garchomp-Mega Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Ferrothorn: 332-392 (94.3 - 111.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Kartana Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Zapdos: 286-337 (74.6 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Kartana Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Zapdos: 452-532 (118 - 138.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery (Z-moves makes Giga Impact a justificable option over Knock Off on Swords Dance, as it deals more damage that Z-Knock Off against neutral targets such as the Zards, Zapdos and other things if unboosted, and doesn't force you to recharge)
252 Atk Life Orb Kartana Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Latias-Mega: 203-239 (55.7 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Ice Beams kills you in this case, thanks to LO's chip damage)
252 Atk Kartana Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Latias-Mega: 238-281 (65.3 - 77.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (If you're full HP you will never get 1HKOed by M-Latias' Ice Beam and you're able to attack again)

TL;DR Life Orb has lost it's place as the most flexible item for attackers since the Z-moves got introduce, as they provide extra power without chip damage in return, and the Megas' similar damage output and extra bulk makes them more desirable in more cases.

Last edited:
In Mega Latios's case there are a lot more things in this tier that can get outright walled by it or that can get absolutely shattered by its Earthquake than what existed in the previous gen, in tandem with regular Latios being hot garbage in this tier because of power creep neutering its damage output considerably.

In Mega Garchomp's case it's really different because vanilla Garchomp is basically on the road to becoming one of the most meta-defining forces in the entire tier for yet another consecutive generation. Mega Garchomp still maintains a very important Speed tier (it barely outpaces the fastest non-Scarf Lando variants) and it's a wallbreaker that, like Mega Latios, has amazing mixed offenses as well as considerable bulk. Instead of Mega Latios having a terrifying Draco Meteor and Psychic and a good Earthquake for coverage, Mega Garchomp has a terrifying Earthquake and Draco Meteor and a good Fire Blast for coverage as well as being a good rocker. And Stealth Rock is the be-all and end-all Garchomp variant this gen. Any competent Garchomp is Stealth Rock+Z-Move (generally Rockium) and the best Mega Chomp set is a Stealth Rock set as well. It does a great job at baiting in typical Garchomp answers (all of whom are usually physically bulky) and getting Stealth Rock up pre-Mega before basically yeeting on all of them with Fire Blast/Draco Meteor or a stronger Earthquake. Garchomp is on its own a huge threat to many teams and Mega Chomp is basically an extra option to lure Chomp answers in and demolish them. It's seen a pretty substantial amount of tournament usage recently and has gotten excellent results and is one of the rising stars of this current meta alongside its non-Mega self, Protean Greninja, and Volcarona.

Yo! This is a little bit general so be as OU specific as necessary in a reply, but what thought processes do you have when you team build in OU? Do you find a strong core or pair of mons and then just list their checks and answer as many as you can? Or are there extra steps you take? I was always bad at teambuilding -.-;

landorus T balance question:

not here to start fights i just want serious answers.
so given how seemingly every good team has a landorus on it and given the sheer number of sets and things it can do from being one of the best defensive pivots in the game with u turn and intimidate and having only 2 weaknesses to one of the strongest pokemon offensively being one of the best z move users in the game and devastating with scarf/band what is stopping landorus from being banned to ubers? not to mention the impact intimidate has on physical setup sweepers.
doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me why something so strong and meta defining is aloud to stick around for so long.
lastly no troll comments or comments about how so and so is so bad at the game for disagreeing with you.

Yo! This is a little bit general so be as OU specific as necessary in a reply, but what thought processes do you have when you team build in OU? Do you find a strong core or pair of mons and then just list their checks and answer as many as you can? Or are there extra steps you take? I was always bad at teambuilding -.-;
i made this post a while back, hope it helps! but catering more to your question, i just start with a core or a pokemon and keep building from there, but the team rarely works on my first attempt, i often change a team dozens of times before im actually happy with it!

landorus T balance question:

not here to start fights i just want serious answers.
so given how seemingly every good team has a landorus on it and given the sheer number of sets and things it can do from being one of the best defensive pivots in the game with u turn and intimidate and having only 2 weaknesses to one of the strongest pokemon offensively being one of the best z move users in the game and devastating with scarf/band what is stopping landorus from being banned to ubers? not to mention the impact intimidate has on physical setup sweepers.
doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me why something so strong and meta defining is aloud to stick around for so long.
lastly no troll comments or comments about how so and so is so bad at the game for disagreeing with you.
Landorus-T suffers of 4MSS. Z-Move variants are easy to revenge kill, Scarf can be played around with Ground-Immunes or U-turn punishers such as Ferrothorn and Garchomp, and defensive sets lacks offensive presence to keep rocks up (as they are meant to switch into a physical threat, then retaliate as they tend to be frail). Z-Move variants also face competition from Garchomp as the Z-Move breaker with Rocks. Not to mention that every decent team has at least one Ground Immune to play around pretty much every Ground since Zyg's departure.
On the other hand, Lando's weaknesses are common enough to deal with it offensively; Water Types such as Ash Greninja, Rotom-Wash and Gyarados have little to no problems to kill Lando with their STAB, Ice is a common coverage option in a lot of things that Lando checks, like Mega Lopunny, Magearna and Tapu Koko, and the great mayority of Special Attackers can outspeed non-Scarf Sets.

Landorus-T suffers of 4MSS. Z-Move variants are easy to revenge kill, Scarf can be played around with Ground-Immunes or U-turn punishers such as Ferrothorn and Garchomp, and defensive sets lacks offensive presence to keep rocks up (as they are meant to switch into a physical threat, then retaliate as they tend to be frail). Z-Move variants also face competition from Garchomp as the Z-Move breaker with Rocks. Not to mention that every decent team has at least one Ground Immune to play around pretty much every Ground since Zyg's departure.
On the other hand, Lando's weaknesses are common enough to deal with it offensively; Water Types such as Ash Greninja, Rotom-Wash and Gyarados have little to no problems to kill Lando with their STAB, Ice is a common coverage option in a lot of things that Lando checks, like Mega Lopunny, Magearna and Tapu Koko, and the great mayority of Special Attackers can outspeed non-Scarf Sets.

first off thank you for the serious reply and regardless of what happens next thank you for your time. also love the name

but i still have some problems: 4mss asuming you mean 4 move slot syndrome. i havent looked up what the term offically means but obviously its either 1 hard to pick only 4 moves or 2 hard to get ATLEAST 4 good moves the former obviously being the case with lando. normally when a pokemon has the former 4mss it means they have to for a lack of a better term give up on a role. for example jirachi wish thunder wave uturn iron head ice punch fire punch zen headbutt it has to give up something very important where as landorus lets say SR or defog + uturn + earthquake + knock off / hp ice / stone edge / fly it has to give up coverage or utility. but with lando uturn + intimidate means its very easy to get momentum going while the only non megas in the tier with higher atk are kartana ash greninja kyurem b and hoopa u if i remember correctly that plus the defensive typing and ability means it doesnt have to completely give up anything except the revenge killer role with scarf. you could go 252 hp 252 def with adamant and still have HUGE damage and be one of the best pivots in the game and have SR or defog utility. so i cant take 4mss as a serious argument nothing against u personally.

z move varriant being revenged killed easy doesnt matter because its basically a wall breaker set mega medicham only has 100 speed and very low defense but still still very strong even without priority moves.

scarf i dont think matters here as its a game wide element not a landorus thing. anything for or agaisnt scarf lando could be said about scarf kyurem b or whoever.

roush skin isnt a big punishment for uturn. uturn obv goes after switching so its easy to switch lando in on a physcial attacker (like chomp) use u turn and then regardless of what the opponent does uturn puts you in a positive scenario unless u didnt bring a dragon counter for some reason. that can be seen as u turn op but its more about u turn + intimidate + tankyness in stats (kind of) and typing as well as enough atk to have high pressure not to mention the occasional hp ice.

"defensive sets lacks offensive presence to keep rocks up " 145 atk with earthquake and possible stone edge.

"Z-Move variants also face competition from Garchomp as the Z-Move breaker with Rocks." that doesnt matter for this topic and even then being in competition with garchomp is nothing to scoff at.

"Not to mention that every decent team has at least one Ground Immune to play around pretty much every Ground since Zyg's departure." again doesnt matter. only super problematic for choice lando even then stone edge or knock off for prediction not to mention u turn comes up again. to me this is like saying gen 5 ferrothorn is NOT too tanky because everyone carries fire moves for scizor or vice versa.

"On the other hand, Lando's weaknesses are common enough to deal with it offensively" so were ferrothorns in gen 5. and i would imagine ice moves were very common in gen 4 because of garchomp. in the case of dragon types in general before multi scale dragonite i would have said dragon types are intentional over powered but in exchange also very simple and straight forward with all dragons wanting to hit hard and fast and that being built into the type system game wide as a means to balance dragons but that doesnt work for landorus because it has so so many options on top of the high base stat total. imagine multiscale dragonite in a world where entry hazards dont exist.

again thank you for your time but the answer you gave is not satisfactory. i understand if you dont want to to invest alot of time but it just seems like an answer to give to low elo player when you think they cant really understand the game.

have a nice day

Last edited:

Éric

mons is mons
is a Pre-Contributor
first off thank you for the serious reply and regardless of what happens next thank you for your time. also love the name

but i still have some problems: 4mss asuming you mean 4 move slot syndrome. i havent looked up what the term offically means but obviously its either 1 hard to pick only 4 moves or 2 hard to get ATLEAST 4 good moves the former obviously being the case with lando. normally when a pokemon has the former 4mss it means they have to for a lack of a better term give up on a role. for example jirachi wish thunder wave uturn iron head ice punch fire punch zen headbutt it has to give up something very important where as landorus lets say SR or defog + uturn + earthquake + knock off / hp ice / stone edge / fly it has to give up coverage or utility. but with lando uturn + intimidate means its very easy to get momentum going while the only non megas in the tier with higher atk are kartana ash greninja kyurem b and hoopa u if i remember correctly that plus the defensive typing and ability means it doesnt have to completely give up anything except the revenge killer role with scarf. you could go 252 hp 252 def with adamant and still have HUGE damage and be one of the best pivots in the game and have SR or defog utility. so i cant take 4mss as a serious argument nothing against u personally.

z move varriant being revenged killed easy doesnt matter because its basically a wall breaker set mega medicham only has 100 speed and very low defense but still still very strong even without priority moves.

scarf i dont think matters here as its a game wide element not a landorus thing. anything for or agaisnt scarf lando could be said about scarf kyurem b or whoever.

roush skin isnt a big punishment for uturn. uturn obv goes after switching so its easy to switch lando in on a physcial attacker (like chomp) use u turn and then regardless of what the opponent does uturn puts you in a positive scenario unless u didnt bring a dragon counter for some reason. that can be seen as u turn op but its more about u turn + intimidate + tankyness in stats (kind of) and typing as well as enough atk to have high pressure not to mention the occasional hp ice.

"defensive sets lacks offensive presence to keep rocks up " 145 atk with earthquake and possible stone edge.

"Z-Move variants also face competition from Garchomp as the Z-Move breaker with Rocks." that doesnt matter for this topic and even then being in competition with garchomp is nothing to scoff at.

"Not to mention that every decent team has at least one Ground Immune to play around pretty much every Ground since Zyg's departure." again doesnt matter. only super problematic for choice lando even then stone edge or knock off for prediction not to mention u turn comes up again. to me this is like saying gen 5 ferrothorn is NOT too tanky because everyone carries fire moves for scizor or vice versa.

"On the other hand, Lando's weaknesses are common enough to deal with it offensively" so were ferrothorns in gen 5. and i would imagine ice moves were very common in gen 4 because of garchomp. in the case of dragon types in general before multi scale dragonite i would have said dragon types are intentional over powered but in exchange also very simple and straight forward with all dragons wanting to hit hard and fast and that being built into the type system game wide as a means to balance dragons but that doesnt work for landorus because it has so so many options on top of the high base stat total. imagine multiscale dragonite in a world where entry hazards dont exist.

again thank you for your time but the answer you gave is not satisfactory. i understand if you dont want to to invest alot of time but it just seems like an answer to give to low elo player when you think they cant really understand the game.

have a nice day
I will try to help with this.
As you say, Lando is very good in this metagame rn. It has a huge variety of sets that work very well and, basically, everything you could wish.
However, if it isn’t broken it’s because the metagame is so adapted to it. Many of the top tier Pokémon, like Bulu, Tornadus, Greninja, etc, do well against Lando. Because of this, your team usually will never lose to Lando, even if if you don’t prepare for it. Landorus can generate momentum with U-Turn, even revenge kill one Pokémon or two like Mawile or Alakazam, but won’t win by itself. It just is the perfect glue, but not the most broken Pokémon ever

I will try to help with this.
As you say, Lando is very good in this metagame rn. It has a huge variety of sets that work very well and, basically, everything you could wish.
However, if it isn’t broken it’s because the metagame is so adapted to it. Many of the top tier Pokémon, like Bulu, Tornadus, Greninja, etc, do well against Lando. Because of this, your team usually will never lose to Lando, even if if you don’t prepare for it. Landorus can generate momentum with U-Turn, even revenge kill one Pokémon or two like Mawile or Alakazam, but won’t win by itself. It just is the perfect glue, but not the most broken Pokémon ever

thats a very very well thought out answer i love it. you seem to be very socially intelligent

i can very much get behind the idea of lando having lots of losing matchups reducing its power similar to dragons being less powerful because fairy types exist. IMO landorus tankyness + u-turn + intimidate generates TOO much momentum staraptor for example has uturn and intimidate and at best only acceptable physical tankyness (and lots of type weaknesses) so i dont think i would have a problem with staraptor if it was a staple pick even if they buffed its speed to base one hundred twenty. landorus on the other hand i can definitively see as a glue rather than a center piece (unless were talking volt turn every other turn based teams) but i just think its too good at too many things and happens to have an unholy combination.

again i love your answer. "Because of this, your team usually will never lose to Lando, even if if you don’t prepare for it. " i esspecially love this line really well done.

question for you specifically: do you think intimidate belongs in the game at all? for doubles / vgc i would say no given it completely guts so many pokemon restricting the viability pool and making things boring. for single i think the pokemon that has it needs to be carefully balanced for it given it can basicly force a switch just by existing.

i really would love to hear your thought have a wonderful day

Is there any merit to running roost over recover or soft boiled ( eg in case of mew or latios) or are both exactly the same?
Roost removes a pokémon's Flying Type or Levitate Ability in the turn it's used, meaning that, for example, Zapdos becomes Pure Electric during said turn after using Roost.
The same applies to the Lati Twins; they trade their Ground Immunity to recover health, which can be useful in some cases such as avoiding a Toxic/Thunder Wave by using Roost and "touching the ground" when Misty Terrain is up. Of course, is a pretty specific scenario that doesn't happen very often, as keeping your Ground Immunity is overall more desirable. This doesn't apply to Mew however, as it's not Ground Immune.
EDIT: Nevermind, I was wrong

Is there any merit to running roost over recover or soft boiled ( eg in case of mew or latios) or are both exactly the same?
i think roost over recover on the lati twins is slightly (although very slightly) objectively better because imprision mega sableye is an extremely rare set but it still exists out there. other than that, it's mostly aesthetic as jordy pointed out.

Roost removes a pokémon's Flying Type or Levitate Ability in the turn it's used, meaning that, for example, Zapdos becomes Pure Electric during said turn after using Roost.
The same applies to the Lati Twins; they trade their Ground Immunity to recover health, which can be useful in some cases such as avoiding a Toxic/Thunder Wave by using Roost and "touching the ground" when Misty Terrain is up. Of course, is a pretty specific scenario that doesn't happen very often, as keeping your Ground Immunity is overall more desirable. This doesn't apply to Mew however, as it's not Ground Immune.
EDIT: Nevermind, I was wrong
So for example i see a moltres against my latios. I use roost and the moltres loses it’s flying type. Will the hurricane used by moltres now be non stab and hence deal less damage.
If yes then won’t roost be objectively better?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
So for example i see a moltres against my latios. I use roost and the moltres loses it’s flying type. Will the hurricane used by moltres now be non stab and hence deal less damage.
If yes then won’t roost be objectively better?
It will still be STAB. You only lose the Flying typing for that turn. Therefore, you are hit by a slower Ground move, but no other real practical consequences occur.

Guard

حرروا فلسطين
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OMPL Champion
What Pokemon should I consider using when building around a Specs Lele team, and what are some Pokemon I should prepare against?

What Pokemon should I consider using when building around a Specs Lele team, and what are some Pokemon I should prepare against?
A Steel Trapper is a great partner for Lele as it helps get rid of Steel types that give Lele trouble. Pokes to prepare for are things that can outspeed Lele and Steel types that can give even your trapper trouble

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)