Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Finchinator

We'll be a fine line
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a former Tournament Circuit Champion
BW Circuit Champion
Can anything viably run protective pads?
Urshifu-Rapid can on Rain, but I would not advise it with the substantial drop in power. It suddenly loses the ability to break things it would otherwise, which defeats a lot of the purpose of using it unfortunately. This is honestly the closest thing to being viable with it, but even then it is limited unfortunately.

You can use it on Zeraora to chip Ferrothorn + rocky helmet users without being worn down yourself, might be a nice option with some good hazard control.
I think most of the time the pokemon that are going to chip Zeraora and the Urshifus down (Amoongus, Pex, Corviknight, Clefable, Ferrothorn) are mostly going to be pokemon that you can't beat, which means for zera its just better to volt switch out. I think this is similar to Urshifus.

How would Reuniclus best use Magnezone support on a team? historically it was a change of HP type, so is there any difference? Is it even a good idea to run Mag + Reun right now?

Another question, what teams does gastro fit on nicely?

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is an official Team Rateris a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
How would Reuniclus best use Magnezone support on a team? historically it was a change of HP type, so is there any difference? Is it even a good idea to run Mag + Reun right now?

Another question, what teams does gastro fit on nicely?
Magnezone and Reun can form a good core. I think you're best bet is using Calm Mind Reuniclus + Specs Magnezone. Specs Magnezone should be used to punch holes in the opposing team for Reuniclus to clean up later on. Reuniclus can sometimes struggle to beat the likes of Tyranitar, Aegislash, and SpDef Hippowdon, all of which take a good amount of damage from Specs Magnezone. If you're after more help regarding Reuniclus, I recommend checking this out.

Gastro finds a niche as a great answer to Clefable, as with Sticky Hold and Clear Smog, it completely shuts down both Trick and CM Clefable. As such, the logical thing to do is to pair Gastro with Pokemon that struggle with Clefable, such as Urshifu and Hydreigon. As far as what teams Gastrodon suits, your best bet is bulky offense or balance teams. Here's a set linked below:

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Clear Smog

Hope this helped! :heart:

I know this probably isn't relevant anymore, but I like to run reuniclus without an item. In the days when Crawdaunt and Alolawak populated the ladder, no item allowed it to surprise Alolawak looking to poltergeist and it can live a life orb knock off, retaliating with a focus blast/thunder. Now those mons aren't really a thing anymore. It does allow it to easily stomach knocks from the like of rillaboom, zeraora, and clefable, but in the end the power boost from life orb is too strong to ignore

What are some good pokemon on bulky offense teams? Hydreigon and scizor seem nice to pair with gastro, but I can't figure out the rest. Any suggestions?

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
What are some good pokemon on bulky offense teams? Hydreigon and scizor seem nice to pair with gastro, but I can't figure out the rest. Any suggestions?
Type wise, Gastrodon has incredible synergy with Skarmory, as Gastrodon can easily absorb Electric and Fire-type attacks aimed at Skarmory, while Skarmory quad resists Grass-type attacks aimed at Gastrodon, and can provide support in the form of Spikes. Gastrodon can sometimes struggle with powerful wallbreakers such as Safeguard Volcarona, Specs Kyurem, Hatterene, and Hydreigon. Blissey does very well against all of these mentioned threats, so its certainly another team member to consider. Togekiss also gets a special mention, being able to take on Hydreigon, and does nicely versus Rillaboom, Gastrodon's biggest weakness.

Best of luck! :toast:

Are there any substitute setup or substitute sweepers in the meta(haven't played for years so not sure what to call them) to be weary of? I sack monns on some turns just because I know if a gengar/alakazam/volcarona sets up sub that turn i'd lose. I'm just not familiar with the meta coming back and if these mons run this set so if anyone is informed id love if you could lmk.

Are there any substitute setup or substitute sweepers in the meta(haven't played for years so not sure what to call them) to be weary of? I sack monns on some turns just because I know if a gengar/alakazam/volcarona sets up sub that turn i'd lose. I'm just not familiar with the meta coming back and if these mons run this set so if anyone is informed id love if you could lmk.
Primarina is a good example. It is able to set up Calm Mind behind a Substitute to feel neutral damage to every OU-viable Pokemon except Toxapex. Since then, it has become extremely dangerous, and can crush any unprepared team.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
As previously pointed out, Primarina is a SubCM sweeper, but Dragapult and Kommo-o (though far less common) can both run Substitute + boosting move

:psysly:

Ruft

Let's cut loose
is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Won OST Predictions
Calm Mind Primarina, mixed Aegislash, Roost Kyurem, Dragon Dance or Hex Dragapult, Gengar, Iron Defense Magnezone, Nasty Plot Togekiss, Hawlucha, Calm Mind Keldeo, Bulk Up Corviknight, Gyarados, and Belly Drum Kommo-o are some Pokemon that you can often expect to run Substitute, though of course you can't exclude other Pokemon running it on some more fringe sets as well.

For suspect testing. If we create a new alt account but fail to meet the requirement and want to start fresh rather than try to grind on the existing account. Should we create another new alt or just hit reset on the existing alt?

If cinderace gets banned, is there any idea of how long it will take once DLC2 drops to re-test it down? It's likely it will be balanced in the new meta, but will we probably first test any new drops that are deemed problematic before testing down stuff that was banned in these 'pre' meta-games? Is it just too early to tell?

Katy

See everyone with your own eyes!
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributor
If cinderace gets banned, is there any idea of how long it will take once DLC2 drops to re-test it down? It's likely it will be balanced in the new meta, but will we probably first test any new drops that are deemed problematic before testing down stuff that was banned in these 'pre' meta-games? Is it just too early to tell?
hey
it definitely is too early to tell how the metagame will be as soon as the DLC pack 2 will come out, there are many new Pokemon and we have to basically wait and see how OU will turn out when DLC pack 2 is out. Many legendaries will come back, new forms of old legendaries. So it'll be too early to tell now.

hey
it definitely is too early to tell how the metagame will be as soon as the DLC pack 2 will come out, there are many new Pokemon and we have to basically wait and see how OU will turn out when DLC pack 2 is out. Many legendaries will come back, new forms of old legendaries. So it'll be too early to tell now.
Well my question is more about what priorities will be then what the actual meta will look like. But it's probly the same answer ye.

edit: ok thanks, and lemme say i wasn't trying to agitate in asking, i think smogon has done an admirable job maintaining stability dealing with GF's slow, piecemeal release of the game this time around.

Last edited:

Finchinator

We'll be a fine line
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a former Tournament Circuit Champion
BW Circuit Champion
The retest now will have no impact on the timing of a retest then. Beyond that, I cannot speculate, but I can promise you that one does not impact the other and it is too early to tell beyond that.

Well my question is more about what priorities will be then what the actual meta will look like. But it's probly the same answer ye.
I think we can estimate that re-testing Cinder won't be high on the list of things to do post DLC. There's going to be a LOOOOOOOOT of crazy things added post DLC like Aura Sphere / Mystic Fire Lati twins, Tapus with improved movepools, all the ultra beasts, boots Dragonite, Lando, Torn, Blaziken, and Genesect that will all make tiering... interesting to say the least.

What pokemon pair well with rocky helmet Corviknight? I’ve been enjoying using it but I don’t know where to start in terms of building a team around it.

Katy

See everyone with your own eyes!
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributor
What pokemon pair well with rocky helmet Corviknight? I’ve been enjoying using it but I don’t know where to start in terms of building a team around it.
hello,

first of all Rocky Helmet is a rather weird choice of item, as Corviknight rather enjoys the longevity it gains due to Leftovers, to have the long-term in its hands during the game. I would change Rocky Helmet for Leftovers quite frankly.
There are plenty of good teammates, first of all Corviknight enjoys Zeraora as teammate as it is an electric-immunity, which Corviknight desperately needs, and they can forme a volt-turn core (Zeraora using Volt Switch and Corviknight U-turn) to bring other teammates in safely. Corviknight also enjoys a sturdy fire-resist such as Toxapex, Gastrodon, and Rotom-Heat as they are able to help with fire-attacks.
Furthermore Corviknight likes Rocky Helmet Tangrowth as a partner as it is also able to check opposing Zeraoras pretty well with chipping them down with its item Rocky Helmet, Tangrowth can also check Rhyperior which Corviknight struggles with especially after a +2 due to Swords Dance as its Rock-type STABs are neutral to Corviknight.
Blissey also serves as an excellent check to non-safeguard Volcarona variants, as Corviknights which run Body Press to check Excadrill and Bisharp rather than Brave Bird to dish out damage on Volcarona are prone to Volcarona, therefore Blissey is an excellent partner here.
Crawdaunt is also a great choice as Partner as Corviknight can bring it in safely due to a rather slow U-turn and Crawdaunt has thus the capability to set-up a Swords Dance and dish out adaptability-boosted STAB-attacks like Knock Off and Grabhammers.

Last edited:
If cinderace is banned, there will be another suspect test less than a week after finishing the current? To test what the council thinks that deserve it. If not, why would we wait more time?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)