Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Don't know if this is the place to ask. Based on what games this tier make the full list of pokemons? I know it's currently sword and shield, but, what happens if mega evolutions return to diamond and pearl remakes? Will it be added to OverUsed?

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Don't know if this is the place to ask. Based on what games this tier make the full list of pokemons? I know it's currently sword and shield, but, what happens if mega evolutions return to diamond and pearl remakes? Will it be added to OverUsed?
Smogon seems to count the mega forms as separate from their base forms so with that in mind, the megas that will be ou or not would most likely depend on how they perform

In line with the last question, in your opinion, which rank would have Stealth Rock Gliscor in the present VR? Thank you.

Edit: thank you Jordy for your answer! :gliscor:

Last edited:

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
In line with the last question, in your opinion, which rank would have Stealth Rock Gliscor in the present VR? Thank you.
There is no way we can feasibly answer this question. We cannot predict how well a Pokemon that does not exist in the current metagame will perform whatsoever, especially in comparison to other Pokemon.

Let's try to avoid theorymon-centric questions going forward and keep them to what currently exists; thank you!

Could I ask the recommended EVs for defog zapdos so it could check kartana and rillaboom alot more consistently? (Ik I could simply run corvi for that role but I'm kinda bored with it after using it as my only defogger while I also think parahax and some what better offensive pressure still seems nice enough to use it as an alternative)

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Could I ask the recommended EVs for defog zapdos so it could check kartana and rillaboom alot more consistently? (Ik I could simply run corvi for that role but I'm kinda bored with it after using it as my only defogger while I also think parahax and some what better offensive pressure still seems nice enough to use it as an alternative)
Run +Def with only enough speed to hit Adamant Rillaboom then, should do the trick a bit better than some other options

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What does Arctozolt usually run? Been a while since I played regularly and wanna piss around with hail.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
What does Arctozolt usually run? Been a while since I played regularly and wanna piss around with hail.
Arctozolt @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 68 SpA / 188 Spe
Naive Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Icicle Crash
- Freeze-Dry
- Stomping Tantrum

This set is probably my favorite. Your first two moves are your go to STABs, Freeze-Dry lets you cover the matchup against Gastrodon and Swampert more effectively while providing a decent midground against bulky Water-type and Ground-type switch-ins. Lastly, Stomping Tantrum lets you nuke Heatran and Magnezone; the former is a key target to chip that can open up teammates like Dragapult while the latter resists your dual STABs. You have enough speed to outspeed Zeraora with Slush Rush, and you put the rest into Attack and Special Attack to provide yourself with as much mixed firepower as possible. Bolt Beak's sheer power is enough to offset the lack of a boosting item, so Heavy-Duty Boots are ideal so you maximize Arctozolt's breaking/cleaning opportunities.

I employ it on this Hail HO which has been shared in the thread earlier by Finchinator, if you'd like to see a team that utilizes it.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Arctozolt @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 68 SpA / 188 Spe
Naive Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Icicle Crash
- Freeze-Dry
- Stomping Tantrum

This set is probably my favorite. Your first two moves are your go to STABs, Freeze-Dry lets you cover the matchup against Gastrodon and Swampert more effectively while providing a decent midground against bulky Water-type and Ground-type switch-ins. Lastly, Stomping Tantrum lets you nuke Heatran and Magnezone; the former is a key target to chip that can open up teammates like Dragapult while the latter resists your dual STABs. You have enough speed to outspeed Zeraora with Slush Rush, and you put the rest into Attack and Special Attack to provide yourself with as much mixed firepower as possible. Bolt Beak's sheer power is enough to offset the lack of a boosting item, so Heavy-Duty Boots are ideal so you maximize Arctozolt's breaking/cleaning opportunities.

I employ it on this Hail HO which has been shared in the thread earlier by Finchinator, if you'd like to see a team that utilizes it.
Out of interest, is there a meta reason why it runs crash over Blizzard like is listed on lower tier analyses or is it just so that it’s not splitting EVs more? (I assume hippo?)

ausma

token smogon furry
OU Forum Leader
Out of interest, is there a meta reason why it runs crash over Blizzard like is listed on lower tier analyses or is it just so that it’s not splitting EVs more? (I assume hippo?)
Most other Flying-types in the tier get blown away by Bolt Beak regardless to where it boils down to the bulky Ground-type matchup, most of which are biased toward Special bulk as of recent. Landorus-T is blown back either way while Gastrodon and Swampert need to be hit with Freeze-Dry. However, that being said, Hippowdon takes about just as much from both. I think Icicle Crash is better though just so you can afford to hit Swampert and Gastrodon a bit harder on switch-in without forcing yourself to use Freeze-Dry on top of Sand Stream skewing Blizzard’s accuracy against Hippowdon, but it's really a negligible difference. For convenience you can check the calcs below:

vs Hippowdon:

68 SpA Arctozolt Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 206-246 (49 - 58.5%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Arctozolt Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hippowdon: 204-240 (48.5 - 57.1%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO

vs Gastrodon:

68 SpA Arctozolt Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 96-114 (22.5 - 26.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Arctozolt Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gastrodon: 159-187 (37.3 - 43.8%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

vs Swampert:

68 SpA Arctozolt Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Swampert: 91-108 (22.5 - 26.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Arctozolt Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Swampert: 127-150 (31.4 - 37.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Obviously its down to personal preference and the rest of the team, but if I have a team with ample coverage for Pex and Urishufu (future sight slowking and Zeraora, in this instance) is bug buzz/safeguard > psychic on bulky Volcarona or are there other mons that make psychic worthwhile? Thanks!

ausma

token smogon furry
OU Forum Leader
Obviously its down to personal preference and the rest of the team, but if I have a team with ample coverage for Pex and Urishufu (future sight slowking and Zeraora, in this instance) is bug buzz/safeguard > psychic on bulky Volcarona or are there other mons that make psychic worthwhile? Thanks!
Psychic tends to be primarily for Urshifu-R and Toxapex, but it can be utilized as an option against chipped Garchomp and Dragapult too. I think there's merit in both other options, but it really does depend on how well you trust your ability to pressure these two Pokemon naturally to where you can afford the free moveslot, and what you want your Volcarona to have a better time against.

Some people forego Haze on their Toxapex if they have ample ways of checking Volcarona, but with the surge in Swords Dance Weavile, it's been seeing increased use again. For this reason, I think it's not worth dropping Psychic on Bulkarona simply because Volcarona needs a lot of boosts before it can break Toxapex with just Flamethrower, which a competent Toxapex player will not allow the Volcarona player to attain in the first place. Even with ample pressure, it's important to remember that Regenerator lets Toxapex players keep healthy on a whim to where this situation tends to be more relevant than not.

The last thing to consider is that Blissey and Tyranitar (the main dedicated targets of Safeguard and Bug Buzz) are generally far more exploitable than Toxapex is, so you generally get more game-to-game value out of Psychic as well, especially since Psychic has the added benefit in being able to pressure Garchomp (like Bug Buzz) on top of being able to more immediately break down Dragapult and, unlike the other two variants, potentially beat chipped Dragonite.

haven't looked at anything in a while why is urshifu-r so high on vr i mean pex, slowking, and fini are right there in A+ and A. I always thought it was reeeaaallly annoying in teambuilder but whenever I used it it always got walled lol.

haven't looked at anything in a while why is urshifu-r so high on vr i mean pex, slowking, and fini are right there in A+ and A. I always thought it was reeeaaallly annoying in teambuilder but whenever I used it it always got walled lol.
Urshifu-R is a potent wallbreaker in the tier being able to break past through plethora of teams with its STAB combination and priority move in picking off weakened targets with Aqua Jet, and giving itself momentum with U-turn when its switch-ins try come in on it. By far one of the deadliest things teams to prep for, while it can get punished by rocky helmet users with Surging Strikes, and other issues like Dragonite, Tapu Fini, Toxapex itself hates switching into Future Sight + STAB from Urshifu-R and Slowking needs a bit of defense investment to not get 2HKO from Surging Strikes and it hates switching into U-Turn. Notably Urshifu-S got banned so Urshifu-R is able to make it self the new and amazing wallbreaker from its former brother.

How do you beat CM faries?
So, clefable, tapu fini and hatterene (niche but also not really, I saw someone using it in 1900s)
I tried taunt fini but idk if I'm using the right set alongside taunt
I would imagine that taunt heatran would beat them all quite easily, but it doesn't fit too well on to my team
So 3 questions really:
Are there any other options besides what I've mentioned?
What's the best set to use with taunt fini?
And lastly, once you get the taunt off, how do you actually beat them now that they have +1 in spdef and spatk?

So, clefable, tapu fini and hatterene (niche but also not really, I saw someone using it in 1900s)
I would imagine that taunt heatran would beat them all quite easily, but it doesn't fit too well on to my team
So 3 questions really:
And lastly, once you get the taunt off, how do you actually beat them now that they have +1 in spdef and spatk?
Heavy Slam Heatran is a little niche compared to the standard set but it reliably disposes of them with Magma into 2 Heavy Slams. Here's the set:

:ss/(Heatran):
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 224 SpD / 28 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Heavy Slam

The EV's outspeed uninvested Skarmory and give you the 2HKO on Physically defensive Clefable with Heavy Slam.

(Edit, didn't see Fini in there, my bad. Use this for Clef and Hat.)

For Fini, a strong Grass breaker should fit your requirements. :(Kartana): and Choice Band :(Rillaboom): in particular have an easy time forcing it out, although be careful of Moonblast damage and Scald burns respectively if switching in.

Last edited:
So 3 questions really:
Depends. If its 2 attacks calm mind :clefable then Heavy slam users like :Melmetal or :heatran will do the trick. If its something like T-wave Calm mind Clef then a hard hitting grounds like Offensive Lando or :Garchomp are your best bet as the steels can be haxxed or outsped with T-wave shenanigans. For the increasingly common Water Fairies use resistive or bulky offenive grass types like :Kartana or :Rillaboom as there solid in the current meta and will almost always force them out with there Choice band or Swords dance sets. Electrics in general are nice to as there resistant to potential thunderwave but dont like grounds so take that into account. You can also try trick users as they can provide set up opportunities for other mons by permantly crippling there Win Con.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)