Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

How could I get someone to tutor me in OU teambuilding?
Clearly Battling 101 doesn't work, it's been eons since I applied.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
How could I get someone to tutor me in OU teambuilding?
Clearly Battling 101 doesn't work, it's been eons since I applied.
As a B101 moderator, B101 is the best way to get tutored. Depends for what tier / gen you want to be tutored, older gens might be more difficult but newer gens shouldn't be that long of a wait.

As a B101 moderator, B101 is the best way to get tutored. Depends for what tier / gen you want to be tutored, older gens might be more difficult but newer gens shouldn't be that long of a wait.
My comment on Apprentice Program Signups: SV OU was over a month ago. Is that average?

awyp

is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
My comment on Apprentice Program Signups: SV OU was over a month ago. Is that average?
It actually can take longer, it just depends on the tutors we have on hand. If you're seriously interested in getting tutored PM me.

At what ELO in the ladder is someone a „Good“ player in Showdown?

I know that „Good“ is not really definable, but to me it feels like a good player has established knowledge about the Tiers sets, knows the strategies, makes good predictions etc.

what do you think?

awyp

RMT Leader

I know that „Good“ is not really definable, but to me it feels like a good player has established knowledge about the Tiers sets, knows the strategies, makes good predictions etc.

what do you think?
I don't think anyone can answer that it's quite opinionated but if I had to say good is anything above 1800 is good (if you're in the top 500) I would say that's a solid mark for being good.

I don't think anyone can answer that it's quite opinionated but if I had to say good is anything above 1800 is good (if you're in the top 500) I would say that's a solid mark for being good.
Thank for your feedback!
The reason I am asking is: I started with compeditive pokemon many moons ago but only played Ubers in I think it was Gen5. There I only played a pretty onedimensional playstyle and had good success with it for what it was, but usually did not stand a chance versus players with a gameplan
After coming back to pokemon in BDSP and building multiple compeditive OU teams ingame, where I got very rarely beaten online, I did the same with SV, where after a little time of finding a fitting team, I had good success there too.
In both games, I tried my very best to build balanced teams with good coverage, chose pokemon with good synergy etc., inspired by smogon.

Since a few weeks now I started in Showdown to battle the most compeditive opponents possible.
Currently I sit at around 1450 ELOafter I played around 70 Games, but I feel there is more potential once I made a little tweaks in my team that I used like 15 times now.

I now want to know if thats „good“ or if its not that big of an accomplishment :)

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!

what do you think?
In addition to to Andviet's answer, 1500-1700 elo is often where the average player lies. The ones where they know the metagame well but just don't tryhard as much as the 1800+ elo players do

awyp

RMT Leader
Is battle bond Greninja not available in Scarlet and Violet? I was under the impression that with the home release, we would be able to transfer it over.
It's available since the HOME release, available in SV OU (Pokémon Showdown)

Hi everyone, I'm relatively new to competitive pokemon and was wondering if any of you know a good place to practice/study about team building and strategy. I do watch WolfeyVGC but I wan't to dive deeper into newest gen OU doubles, any help is appreciated :)

awyp

RMT Leader
Hi everyone, I'm relatively new to competitive pokemon and was wondering if any of you know a good place to practice/study about team building and strategy. I do watch WolfeyVGC but I wan't to dive deeper into newest gen OU doubles, any help is appreciated :)
Best place to study about team building is probably the SV OU RMT subforum as well as the SV OU Sample team thread, in terms of strategy I would say Battling 101 or just practicing on the ladder.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but when can we expect the first VR to be posted ? I know we have the viability list right now, but it's not really the same.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Sorry if this has been asked before, but when can we expect the first VR to be posted ? I know we have the viability list right now, but it's not really the same.
Hopefully sometime next week. I am currently on a brief LoA due to a busy IRL week, but after I return, we should have both seen enough development and have enough time to get it going.

Where is this team from? I'm pretty sure it used to be everywhere on the post-Walking Wake release era.
I'm actually surprised to see it atm.

awyp

RMT Leader
I wonder if Iron Treads legitimately got better or if people are just stubborn after Regieleki and to some extent Magearna got the boot.
I think it just fairs a bit better in todays metagame is what it comes down to. The stubbornness definitely comes from how it was slightly underwhelming on various teams Pre-HOME but now it matches well decently against Zapdos (If no Heat Wave). I personally like running the Booster Energy set, similar to how Sandy Shocks popularity rose as well Post-HOME (same idea).

I wonder if Iron Treads legitimately got better or if people are just stubborn after Regieleki and to some extent Magearna got the boot.
I had a massive post in the old Meta Discussion thread about how Iron Treads on paper has several useful traits that are held back by the Meta simply lacking a lot of what that typing capitalizes on. I'll link-quote it here but only directly including the 2 Paragraphs that I think have changed a bit with Home

One thing in Tusk's favor is that his typing is a LOT better suited to what's big in the Meta right now. Tusk easily wins in Physical Bulk, while it takes ~5% more from something neutral like Specs Dragapault Shadow Ball as a random neutral hit when compared to Treads (assuming the either 0 or max HP), meaning their typings are the majority contribution to their defensive profiles vs the other. Treads definitely has several resistances and immunities over Tusk, but in practice I feel like Tusk gets further in OU considering their neutral and weakness profiles, which matter a lot more on Pokemon with such great natural bulk.

First and foremost, Treads has to contend with a Weakness to Ground and to Fighting, which are definitely prevalent in OU right now (Eeveeto himself even noting several common Fighting types in OU on top of Tusk being high usage). Meanwhile while he has several good resistances, current OU feels very sparse for Flying offense (other than Roaring Moon, most seem to use it defensively rather than offensively) and the only offensive Fairy presences right now are Iron Valiant (who can still carry FB or Close Combat as common coverage), then Hatterene and Azumarill at more distant seconds (Hat for its more Magic Bounce Supporting role and Azu simply being much less common plus Water STAB). The Steel Typing also doesn't do it many favors against Garg, even if it's a winning match-up on Tera-Fairy vs Tusk, with the higher Salt Cure chip and that thing being a very common defensive fixture. And while its typing is good in and of itself, it can lead to weakness stacking/needing to forgo Pokemon like Gholdengo, Corviknight, and Ting-Lu (mainly Fighting), excluding Tera users who either gain or lose shared weaknesses like Tera-Fairy Garg/Dirge or Tera-Grass Volcarona.
Namely as noted here, Treads would get a bit better in the current Meta with a couple new Fairy and Flying types like Zapdos (Enamorus Choice sets can be exploited but it has to watch for Earth Power and Superpower), plus other benefits like Glowking overtaking Slowking as a common defensive Pivot (and adding a weakness/Neutrality to its STABs), and I could see it as an anti-Meta pick to things like Flying/Fairy Kingambit sets that capitalize on Tusk.

That said I think the true test is going to be if Zama-H stays or goes, because Treads could not be free-er food for that thing if it tried. It also is inevitably going to have the issue of overlapping with Tusk and Lando as a Bulky-Offensive-Utility Ground Pokemon, unless DLC updates bring Hazard Removal to a better place to potentially reduce Tusk's ubiquity (not necessarily his viability, but there's no arguing that being one of literally 3 useable Hazard removers in the tier is increasing usage a lot over even his Predecessor Balance Tiger)

This might've been asked before, but it seems like Pult has become the main screen setter, why? Is it in response to some recent meta developments or was it just underrated and recently discovered and popularized. Also, besides G- Articuno and G-Moltres, what are the best Pokemon to use on screens.

This might've been asked before, but it seems like Pult has become the main screen setter, why? Is it in response to some recent meta developments or was it just underrated and recently discovered and popularized. Also, besides G- Articuno and G-Moltres, what are the best Pokemon to use on screens.
pult is very fast to reliably get screens up bring allies in by sacrificing itself with curse, and has some useful utility for some opposing leads like darts, wisp, thunder wave, and u-turn, also any settup mon makes lot of good use under screens like cm iron val, baxc, etc

I think Curse is also a good "Screen-icide" move because compared to a direct attack like Explosion or Memento, it also does well discouraging defensive Switch-ins that might otherwise stall some of the screen turns if they try to predict the set-up sweeper and go to the answer early.

Asked on discord, gonna ask here, too.

Is it a bad idea to have more than one screen setter? Like a Prankster mon and a non-prankster? And is it ok if the second setter lacks a light clay?

awyp

RMT Leader
Asked on discord, gonna ask here, too.

Is it a bad idea to have more than one screen setter? Like a Prankster mon and a non-prankster? And is it ok if the second setter lacks a light clay?
I think it would be a bad idea because the idea is to always have 1 screener with light clay and have 4/5 mons setup (Booster Energy, Dragon Dance, Swords Dance, Calm Mind, etc) if you're going with a 4 sweepers + 1 screener the last mon could set up entry hazard like a Glimmora for example. But usually the preference would be 1 Screener + 5 Sweepers ideally or you start to waste slots on your teams it's best to just keep the screener in good health throughout the match to re-use it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)