Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

I’m around the 1600s-1700s where people start using tryhard/conventional shit, and I am somehow seeing the wackiest shit on ladder rn.

I’ve ran into

Sap Sipper BD Tera Ground Azu
Tera Ground Articuno
Fly Dnite
Life Orb Tera Flying Tera Blast Dnite
Lefties Dragon Rush Dnite

I’m gonna assume this gen has gotten so stale people are just splashing random lol xd shit onto teams. Right?
Oh yeah, I'm the offensive Articuno guy lol. The concept behind it was that Freeze-Dry + Tera Blast Ground is absolutely absurd coverage in this meta. It's not even about the fact that it's basically unresisted, because a lot of other 2-move pairs can boast that. It's about the super effective coverage. Go down the viability rankings and look at the number of mons that are hit super effectively by either Freeze-Dry or Tera Blast ground. There are well-built and effective teams where literally every single member is hit super effectively. This is true of 3 of the current sample teams if you don't count Air Balloon Tinkaton. It's like actually nuts.

Edit: Also blasting Heatrans and Iron Moths is very funny

Is there an advantage to running Relaxed over Impish on Dondozo? Trying to make sense of the usage stats and see if there is some competitive advantage that I'm not realizing.

Its kinda funny that the ladder OU hasn't caught on to Tornadus-T being a good Pokemon in OU. Like you see it a fair bit more frequently on the highest ladder but people on low or mid ladder just don't use it for whatever reason? Is it just the ladder being the ladder? Because I think Tornadus-T should have risen by now reflecting its current viability, even though it hasn't because of lack of usage for whatever reason.

What is going on with Tornadus-T? Are people only finding out its good just now at the end of the month?

I saw a sample team that ran this zapdos spread
Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
this may look all normal, until you realise its worse in every way to the zapdos on one of the smogon sets for some odd reason

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Volt Switch
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
Now the sets have different moves, but the spread for the on the top has slighty less defense, less speed which can’t outspeed great tusk and the same other stats, why would somebody run that spread when it seems to be inferior to the one below, is there actually advantages that i don’t know about, or was this a mistake by njnp

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
1. Where can I find the monthly OU usage statistics
2. Is there a forum/thread where people can post replays to get feedback.
Whenever the usage stats comes out, there's a new thread being posted here, just scroll down. The threads are titled "Usage Based Tier Update for X", with x representing the month and year. If you want the full stats, you can find it here, you just have to check the dates closely

When a pokemon uses future sight, does it use what the initial damage of the user is or the turn before the attack hits? For example, if my glowking uses future sight and then calm mind, does it use the unboosted damage calc or the boosted calc?

When a pokemon uses future sight, does it use what the initial damage of the user is or the turn before the attack hits? For example, if my glowking uses future sight and then calm mind, does it use the unboosted damage calc or the boosted calc?
As of Generation 5, Future Sight’s damage is calculated on the turn it hits the opponent. So yes, it would take into account any boosts that happened after it was first used, as long as you stay on the field.

Last edited:
As of Generation 5, Future Sight’s damage is calculated on the turn it hits the opponent. So yes, it would take into account any boosts that happened after it was first used, as long as you stay on the field.
OK, follow up question. If an already boosted King uses Sight, then swaps, does it do the boosted damage then?

Also, isn't Supreme Overlord a worse Huge Power? Not that it's any less busted on King, but that's besides the point.

OK, follow up question. If an already boosted King uses Sight, then swaps, does it do the boosted damage then?
Future sight probably does not because (looking straight from Bulbapedia) 'Future Sight uses the user's Special Attack and the hit Pokémon's Special Defence at the time damage is dealt.' So, when you switch out after a nasty plot, your SpAtk is reset to normal. I am not completely sure though, so I will link the Bulbapedia page on Future Sight if you want to check.
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Future_Sight_(move)

Future sight probably does not because (looking straight from Bulbapedia) 'Future Sight uses the user's Special Attack and the hit Pokémon's Special Defence at the time damage is dealt.' So, when you switch out after a nasty plot, your SpAtk is reset to normal. I am not completely sure though, so I will link the Bulbapedia page on Future Sight if you want to check.
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Future_Sight_(move)
That's what I figured as well.

Sorry to double post (there should really be an 'auto combine' feature), but is there a more ideal EV spread for a Grassy Seed Sinistcha? I often go max def, and I occasionally outspeed Kingambit. I'd like to do that more consistently without compromising defense.

Last edited:
Sorry to double post (there should really be an 'auto combine' feature), but is there a more ideal EV spread for a Grassy Seed Sinistcha? I often go max def, and I occasionally outspeed Kingambit. I'd like to do that more consistently without compromising defense.
You need 96 speed EVs to hit 200 speed and outspeed 252 EV base 50s like kingambit. If gambit is jolly you’d need 172 EVS in speed.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Does normal :slowking: have any merits over :slowking-galar:?
Yes, while it lacks many of Slowking-Galar's useful resistances and Sludge Bomb, regular Slowking's resistance to Water and Fire, without the need to Terastallize, and STAB Scald, which Slowking-Galar doesn't learn, gives it a generally superior matchup against threats like Heatran, Iron Moth, Walking Wake, and Volcanion and allows it to spread burns, while the lack of a Ground weakness makes it better into Ground-types like Great Tusk.

• Hawlucha (with Grassy Seed + Unburden)
  • Heatran
  • Ursaluna (with Headlong Rush)
  • Great Tusk (with Headlong Rush)
  • Hatterene (potentially with Grassy Seed + Calm Mind + Stored Power)
  • Gholdengo
  • Kingambit
  • Samurott-Hisui
  • Zamazenta
  • Iron Hands
...and many more.
I admit I haven't been terribly creative, although I have used Hatterene to great effect.

So basically, I don't need to focus so hard on Unburden, and instead focus on everything else that makes Grassy Terrain useful, like ground resists...like Neutralizing Gas Weezing over Levitate.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
I admit I haven't been terribly creative, although I have used Hatterene to great effect.

So basically, I don't need to focus so hard on Unburden, and instead focus on everything else that makes Grassy Terrain useful, like ground resists...like Neutralizing Gas Weezing over Levitate.
Yeah, Unburden isn't the only way to make use of Grassy Terrain. Earthquake being weakened, passive recovery, the defense boost from Grassy Seed, etc. can prove to be very useful to Pokemon without Unburden as well.

What's the current situation of Shed Tail, after discovering that Sceptile learns it?

Cyclizar had a fast Shed Tail and, thanks to Regenerator, it could get at least one more.
Orthworm couldn't regenerate HPs (reliably), but it provided a slow Shed Tail so you could have an advantageous momentum to get your mon on the field.

Sceptile can't regenerate and it's fast, so you don't have those advantages.

Could there be a case in which the dragon and the worm get banned in order to test that move again to see if it's not broken on the gecko?

It's just for the sake of curiousity

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)