(Singles) The Next Best Thing [Current Subject: Heatran] ~ NOMINATIONS ~

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
op stolen from llamas who stole it from someone else
Approved by Hulavuta

The Next Best Thing
What is this?:

I for one, along with many others I'm sure, feel as though there is some untapped power within the Battle Spot environment. There is substantial evidence for this idea in the form of one commonality for most tiers, Battle Spot included: there always seems to be one or more new-fangled, hyped up sets that weren't originally main-stay or seen as "viable" by the community, but somehow has taken the metagame by storm. This can be seen in DPP OU (with Special Lucario transitioning to SD Lucario, Heatran eventually running items other than Choice Scarf, and the influx of ChestoRest Kingdra) in ADV (with the vaunted TyraniBoah now becoming almost an urban myth in comparison to Special and DD Tyranitar, and the increasing popularity of SupeRachi) and in BW OU (with the advent of SubSalac Terrakion, SubDisable Gengar, and ChestoRest Volcarona). Yes, some of these sets may have been found early on with respect to the creation of the tier or fairly recently, the point is, though, that there seems to be an endless supply of effective and potent sets out there yet to be discovered, especially factoring in metagame swings and the possible tier shifts. The purpose of this project will be to systematically subject each and every Battle Spot pokemon to a collective body of research in an attempt to uncover these "hidden gems", so to speak, and hopefully spark some creativity throughout the Battle Spot community.

The Process:

Each week, I will choose a different Battle Spot Pokemon, sometimes chosen by random, sometimes chosen by curiosity, of which participants will try to personally create a new set for that is not already on-site or in the process of being put on-site. Participants will be given 4 days from the time I post a new Pokemon to create their set, with discussion about the particular sets being promoted throughout, a vote will be held to choose which user's set represented the most creative and simultaneously competitively viable set to utilize in the current Battle Spot metagame, this will be open for 3 days. Once the votes are tallied and a winner is crowned, the set will be archived in the OP and the process will start all over again for the next pokemon specimen.

What are we looking for?:

Specifically, I want to stress the importance of the balance between creativity and viability when picking a set to post for the Pokemon in question. There's a very fine line between a "creative" set and a "gimmick", and this project is not meant to produce gimmicks, rather emphasize the ability to think outside the box when using a specific Pokemon in order to maximize it's potential. Having said that, I would also like to deviate from simple one move / item changes. For example, using Lum Berry over Life Orb on an SD Garchomp does nothing to show any untapped potential Garchomp has because we already have a basic understanding of what SD Garchomp is and does, it's just now better at dealing with status and has less power. The same goes for using Knock Off over Superpower on Belly Drum Azumarill, it doesn't yield productive discussion or results for the project. I am looking for sets that test what we think we know about checks or counters, so-called standards, and what it means to be viable. Maybe a particular option for a Pokemon looks inferior at first glance for that particular pokemon, but dig deeper and try and find what it might mean in the big picture, for the entire team.

Pretty much if it would make it onto a main set of an analysis then it is considered to be standard.

Current Subject:

Ares

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The Archive
Week 1
Aegislash

ethan06 - Defensive Aegislash

Week 2
Mega Kangaskhan

Kortex - Substitute Kangaskhan

Week 3
Gengar

Hulavuta - Hex Gengar-Mega

Week 4
Tyranitar

Namdachu - Rock Polish Tyranitar-Mega
NOVED - Sack 'O Shit

Week 5
Salamence

cant say - Rock Slide / ev spread
NOVED - Toxic

Week 6
Alakazam

Montsegur - Future Sight

Week 7
Manectric

Namdachu - Thunder Wave + Electro Ball (with Magnet Rise Support)

Week 8
Latios

Namdachu - Life Orb + Luster Purge

Week 9
Serperior

Theorymon - Reflect + Rocky Helmet

Week 10
Gyarados

ethan06 - Fire Blast MegaDos

Week 11
Dragonite

cant say - Safeguard + Dragon Dance

Week 12
Venusaur

Mr Mime Mania - Block + Sleep booster

Week 13
Greninja

Demantoid - Lucario + Hippowdon + Dragonite core killer

Week 14
Altaria

cant say - Rest + Snore

Week 14
Heatran

~ post your nominations ~​

Ares

The premier Pokemon for The Next Best Thing is going to be:

You have till Tuesday to post awesome and interesting sets, Happy Posting!

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yay time to roll this one out again.

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- King's Shield

This set is fairly generic in most ways, being your average King's Shield+3 attacks Weakness Policy Aegislash, but the main difference here is in the EV spread. Most WP Aegislash have some difficulty breaking through certain threats due to their offensive investment, which allows them to hit very hard but makes it possible to break through them quite easily with a range of powerful attacks such as Mega Blaziken's Flare Blitz, Mega Kangaskhan's Earthquake and Mega Tyranitar's Crunch. With an EV spread that's fully invested in Defense, Aegislash can comfortably survive these big hits and more:

252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aegislash-Shield: 93-111 (55.6 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aegislash-Shield: 144-170 (86.2 - 101.7%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO (a little sketchy :c )
+1 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aegislash-Shield: 134-158 (80.2 - 94.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aegislash-Shield: 114-136 (68.2 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aegislash-Shield: 94-112 (56.2 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aegislash-Shield: 125-148 (74.8 - 88.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

As you can see, after the Weakness Policy is activated Aegislash doesn't really miss it's offensive investment:
+2 0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 192-228 (106 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 4 SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Blaziken: 154-183 (98.7 - 117.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+2 0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 272-324 (154.5 - 184%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 4 SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile: 133-157 (84.7 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
+2 4 SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 147-174 (79.8 - 94.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 67-81 (36.4 - 44%)

A more complete analysis can be found here :)

A great idea to encourage more posts and sets like these, is to have some sort of prize for the winner. Getting, for example, a 5-6 iv pokemon/pre-evo with the Moveset, ev spread and abilities/natures featuring the Winner's Pokemon.

Last edited:
I like the idea of this thread, but I don't see it going too far due to limited options on each pokemon, especially Aegislash.

Sword&Shield (Aegislash) @ Life Orb / Weakness Policy
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid / Naive Nature
- Autotomize
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Shadow Sneak / King's Shield

Idk if this isn't a creative set, but no one really uses Autotomize Aegislash anymore, and it still has the potential to wreck teams who aren't prepared for it. All you need to do is set up a Autotomize on a poke that can't hurt you at all (Cresselia is really common and rather easy to set up on) and outspeed and OHKO most pokemon who outsped you. This includes pokes like Garchomp, Mega Salamence, and Gengar (both forms). Its main purpose is to clean up, so don't expect everything to be OHKO'd by a LO boosted Shadow Ball. HP ice is helpful for the Dragons you can now outspeed at +2, but Shadow Sneak can be used if you need to finish something off that also has priority, like Azu and Talonflame (Aegislash outspeeds at +2). King's Shield is also an option in the last moveslot, but this Aegislash set needs more coverage and it can't really take hits too well with this EV spread. I recommend Weakness Policy if you choose to use King's shield.

Here's some calcs:

252 SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 229-270 (124.4 - 146.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gengar: 205-244 (150.7 - 179.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 218-260 (128.2 - 152.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 133-157 (86.9 - 102.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO (OHKOs if you Stealth Rock is active)
0 Atk Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Talonflame: 55-66 (35.9 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 51-60 (24.8 - 29.2%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO

Talonflame and Azumarill can't even OHKO back with their priority moves:

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Blade: 73-87 (54 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Blade: 105-125 (77.7 - 92.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Sorry if that's too much calcs, got a bit carried away there :(

Aegislash @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Metal Sound
- King's Shield

It was kind of hard to think of something creative for Aegislash that everyone and their mother hasn't seen before but I think this is a neat idea. So if you didn't know, Metal Sound is a move that lowers SpDef -2. With aegislash's typing it forces a lot of pokemon to switch out against it simply because they can't really touch it so because of this you can get some free opportunities to Metal Sound whatever comes in. Aegislash can ohko a lot of things or severely weaken walls/tanks with a combination of -2 SpDef and a life orb boost. And since Metal Sound won't send you into blade form, you don't have to worry about using King's Shield wasting a turn before you attack.

252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. -2 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 218-257 (102.8 - 121.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. -2 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 246-290 (134.4 - 158.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. -2 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-W: 149-177 (94.9 - 112.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. -2 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 144-170 (102.1 - 120.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO (although the chance you'll be able to attack is low against bish if they have life orb)
252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 151-182 (90.4 - 108.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO (this is just without the drop)
252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. -2 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 168-199 (92.8 - 109.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. -2 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 149-177 (77.6 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. -2 252 HP / 12 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 172-203 (83 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus

Aegislash @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magnet Rise
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Ice
- King's Shield

The combination of Air Balloon and Magnet Rise lets Aegislash beat the majority of Ground-types in Battle Spot Singles; Garchomp, Excadrill, and Landorus-T. As one of these Pokemon uses a coverage move to pop Aegislash's Air Balloon, Aegislash will then use Magnet Rise, so it becomes immune to Earthquake once again. Shadow Ball is Aegislash's STAB attack, and Hidden Power Ice hits Garchomp and Landorus-T. King's Shield is pretty obvious.

Ares

A great idea to encourage more posts and sets like these, is to have some sort of prize for the winner. Getting, for example, a 5-6 iv pokemon/pre-evo with the Moveset, ev spread and abilities/natures featuring the Winner's Pokemon.
This is a neat idea, but I don't know how hard it would be to keep up with handing out a prize every week. Tagging EnGarde because she just got back and would be the person to talk to about this.

I like the idea of this thread, but I don't see it going too far due to limited options on each pokemon, especially Aegislash.
w0t? Limited Pokemon? Aegislash can be customized 6 ways to Sunday. You just have to think outside of the box, and go and see what things the current subject can learn and do. Its all on you and your creativity.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
This is a neat idea, but I don't know how hard it would be to keep up with handing out a prize every week. Tagging EnGarde because she just got back and would be the person to talk to about this.

w0t? Limited Pokemon? Aegislash can be customized 6 ways to Sunday. You just have to think outside of the box, and go and see what things the current subject can learn and do. Its all on you and your creativity.
Guilan This is possible, especially if you can find someone willing to do the breeding. However, it is a bit time intensive, especially for a weekly project.

EDIT: I've been out of the loop for a while, but is the old XY VGC sub/king's shield set still viable?

Aegislash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
IVs: 0 Speed
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute
- King's Shield

Last edited:
I've been out of the loop for a while, but is the old XY VGC sub/king's shield set still viable?
Yeah, sub aegi has been a common and viable set in VGC since it's birth. Although, if you're running sub the preferred EV spreads opt for speed to outspeed other aegislash rather than going with the quiet nature.

Aegislash @ Bright Powder
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 124 Def/ 124 Sdef/ 4 Spe
IVs: 31
Adamant
Swords Dance
Sacred Sword
Shadow Claw
Double Team

=============

I think the 'best' Aegislash sets have already been discovered. There can be others but by and large he shines as a Mixed Weakness Policy attacker with that really annoying and punishing Kings Shield. My set is really just hobbled together, designed to abuse the lack of evasion clause in BS, get in a few Swords Dance afterwards, and sweep.

No, there are more sets waiting to be discovered. (This set scored me many wins on bspot, in conjunction with trick room)

Aegislash @ Choice Band
EVs 252 hp / 252 attack / 6 def
IVs: 0 spe
Brave Nature

~ Shadow Sneak
~ Head Smash
~ Aerial Ace
~ Iron Head

Aegislash @ Leftovers/Light Clay

EVs: 252 HP / 100 SpA / 156 SpD
Ivs: 0 Spe
Quiet Nature

or

EVs 252 hp / 252 SpDef / 6 def
IVs: 0 spe
Sassy Nature

~ Shadow ball
~ King's Shield
~ Reflect
~ Gyro Ball

Aegislash has great defensive typing so it can also do some support setting up Reflect giving the team an easier time against spread moves and such as EQ in doubles. It runs Gyro ball to pick on the likes of Ttar and fast pokemon and Shadow Ball for slower threats. I just came up with this haven't really treid it out xD
Different EV spreads or nature in case you want more offensive presense or more bulk

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hmmm this is really tough, I'm gonna go with Creeper3971, coz Autotomize is fun. SM979 is tough to miss out since Magnet Rise is probably more viable, I guess it just came down to personal taste here..

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I vote NOVED, Metal Sound sounds really trolly and fun - I need to try this one out with hazard support.

Ares

This week is over, sorry wasn't able to get on yesterday to update this. This weeks winner is ethan06!

Next weeks subject is:

There are plenty of cool lure sets out there to bait in top tier checks / counters to this monster.

SLOW DOWN MOM!

Kangaskhan-Mega (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Parental Bond
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Icy Wind (for Doubles & Triples)/ Rock Tomb (for Singles)
- Sucker Punch
- Return
- Fake Out

Pretty standard set with Return and Sucker Punch. Icy Wind gets the Parental Bond treatment meaning you get 2 speed drops for the price of one. Can come really out of left field and win you speed control in doubles or to also hit a predicted switch in in 3v3.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)