Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - November 2009

I can't wait for januarys satistics then we will se how manphy effects things. I predict to see a rise in tyranitar and jolteon. Some side effects may be a rise in kingdra bronzog zapdos and jirachi for thoese who abuse the rain and manphys hydration ability.

This month i see people are recognising how much of a beast tyranitar is but i feel he is held back by his ability a bit when it comes to things like salamence and infernape who dislike that extra residual damage with a passion.I use both these pokemon a lot which is why I shy away from tyranitar for the likes of gyarados.

I am really interested by the trends of different pokes, and I might try to make trend graphs of the different usage %s of different pokes over the last few months similar to shoddybattle's trend grapher. If anyone else is interested in seeing these graphs then I can post it :)
Hmm, yeah. This would be interesting.

The current cutoff is just above Snover, with Regirock being decently far above it.

Espeon, Rotom, and Magneton are all currently in UU based on this month's usage. Espeon and Rotom probably have to do with Alakazam and Froslass' entry into the tier. Magneton usage falling is odd, but perhaps Steel trapping is less necessary when you have things like Honch and Gallade to blow through them.
Thanks for working that out. :)

Except I think you meant to say that Espeon, Magneton and Rotom are NU, if the cut-off is above Snover.

Yeah, Magneton falling is quite strange. I think perhaps Raikou might have a little bit to do with it too. Perhaps if people are looking for their insanely powerful T-bolt user, they'll opt for Raikou instead of Magneton, which is understandable (although Magneton's electric attacks are stronger than Raikou, and Magneton has 13 resistances to boot).

Although, in theory, since Umbreon, Raikou, Froslass, Alakazam, Gallade and Rhyperior have entered the tier, with Roserade exiting the tier (so overall, the metagame's population increased by 5), everybody's usage should decrease.

And I think the reason why the elemental types of the Pokemon commonly used is so different in UU than OU is because of the trends. If we look at the Grass-type, for example. The Grass-type is quite poor, so only a few make OU (the most there's ever been at once is 3, I believe). This means that the Grass-types in UU generally have better stats than the rest of the tier, as less of them are banned.

And if we take Steel and Dragon types. They're very good types, so people like to use them. This means that the Dragon-types left for UU are much weaker than the average UU Pokemon, so even with the better type, they're not so useful. Dragonair, Shelgon, Altaria and Gabite, aren't overly amazing Pokemon, but that's really the only options a UU player has left (and most of the time, they'll choose Altaria).

finnally, i have been waiting for this, now salamence is where he belongs. xD, but azelf, is still the most used lead....

Thanks DougJustDoug, the stats are fascinating as always. Heracross is right at the cutoff point for OU, so it'll be interesting to see what happens to it in the future. Mew is still only #7 in Uber leads and #21 overall - when will people start realizing its awesomeness not only as a lead but also as a Baton Passer? It is nice to see Venusaur and Arcanine, two RBY Pokémon, at the top of UU showing the newer generations that they can still dominate. I don't really have anything to say about Suspect except that I am very, very glad that Garchomp is finally gone for good. (over 80%!)

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but would it be possible for stats to be collected concerning only the Pokémon used by the top-ranked players on each ladder? I'm talking about a separate set of usage stats just for the people above a certain cutoff point in rating at the end of the month. (top 50? top 100?) I know these stats would be incredibly informative and useful to me, and I'm assuming loads of other Smogonites, because they would show what kinds of teams and sets are being used by the best battlers as opposed to any random person. Just a thought...

Thanks for working that out. :)

Except I think you meant to say that Espeon, Magneton and Rotom are NU, if the cut-off is above Snover.

Yeah, Magneton falling is quite strange. I think perhaps Raikou might have a little bit to do with it too. Perhaps if people are looking for their insanely powerful T-bolt user, they'll opt for Raikou instead of Magneton, which is understandable (although Magneton's electric attacks are stronger than Raikou, and Magneton has 13 resistances to boot).

Although, in theory, since Umbreon, Raikou, Froslass, Alakazam, Gallade and Rhyperior have entered the tier, with Roserade exiting the tier (so overall, the metagame's population increased by 5), everybody's usage should decrease.

And I think the reason why the elemental types of the Pokemon commonly used is so different in UU than OU is because of the trends. If we look at the Grass-type, for example. The Grass-type is quite poor, so only a few make OU (the most there's ever been at once is 3, I believe). This means that the Grass-types in UU generally have better stats than the rest of the tier, as less of them are banned.

And if we take Steel and Dragon types. They're very good types, so people like to use them. This means that the Dragon-types left for UU are much weaker than the average UU Pokemon, so even with the better type, they're not so useful. Dragonair, Shelgon, Altaria and Gabite, aren't overly amazing Pokemon, but that's really the only options a UU player has left (and most of the time, they'll choose Altaria).

Grass types aren't poor. I believe it has the best resists of all types(not counting steel of course). Resisting both electric and water with the plus of resisting ground is damn good. The bad thing is that Nintendo gave 35444545 weaknesses, and to top it off, attack wise it is resisted by another 3543544 types. Not fair...

Bug type is fun though: only 2 of them get past the 500 base total(Shuckle and Yanmega), they normally are part flying(Masquerain being the worst example... why not Water/Bug?), still we have 3 bugs in OU, and one of them is the most used poke.

About UU: Not everybody had its usage decreased. Venusaur and mainly Arcanine skyrocketed to the #1 and #2 places for example.
Although most of them really fell at usage, like Registeel or Mismagius.
Or Leafeon, which was above the UU mark last month IIRC, and now it isn't.

Bug type is fun though: only 2 of them get past the 500 base total(Shuckle and Yanmega), they normally are part flying(Masquerain being the worst example... why not Water/Bug?), still we have 3 bugs in OU, and one of them is the most used poke.
I really would love to see a Bug/Water type that's actually competitively viable (i'm looking at you Surskit). Resists to Ground, Water, Ice, and Fighting? Yes please. Then again it's weak to Rock/Electric, so meh. If Masquerain really was Bug/Water I think it could've made it atleast to UU, which would be awesome because I love it. (:

Ubers: | 123 | Magikarp | 48 | 0.18 |

wat

Ubers: | 82 | Exeggutor | 87 | 0.32 |
UU: | 75 | Exeggutor | 2292 | 2.25 |

Fuck yeah Eggy gets some love.

Thanks Doug!
1 | Garchomp | 6922 | 81.47
This is ridiculous. Garchomp deserves to be Uber.
Gyarados falls to 6? Dissapointing
Venusaur at 1? Not surprising, SDVenu tears apart teams.
Gengar at 11? Should be top 10.

Thanks Doug!
1 | Garchomp | 6922 | 81.47
This is ridiculous. Garchomp deserves to be Uber.
Gyarados falls to 6? Dissapointing
Venusaur at 1? Not surprising, SDVenu tears apart teams.
Gengar at 11? Should be top 10.
Garchomp in UBER? agreed but he usage doesn't necessarily mean it's UBER but just suspect but yes he incredibly powerful.
Gyara...sad but meh still very high usage
Venusaur...imho is good because it's just freaking versatile
as for gengar, he's strong but he's just too fragile, priorities can screw him pretty often :(

gengar is ruined by scizor, although a scarf gengar can be a nice lead still, as it can come back and annoy latias

either way,gengar is to frail to any priority move that can hit him,or any pokemon who can outspeed him,and like usual,blissey stop him cold if he dont got focus punch or explosion(focus blast lack the power to 2hko unless he got specs)

I've found Gengar to be one of the best pokemon on my team, actually. HP Fire + Leftovers allows it to deal with Scizor most of the time and Magnezone traps it afterwards(if they BP for the kill), which allows Latias and Salamence to sweep.

it really depend on the team,if gengar work fine for your team then its awesome,put him on a random team and hope he work good is not a good idea toughty....

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
I just fail whenever I use venausaur, I gave up on him a long time ago.
I really thought that azelf would go back down, but he seems determined to stay where it is. It's also a shame to see crobat drop so much, I was hoping for a jump to ou.
thanks doug.

WECAMEASROMANS

Banned deucer.
how is salamence #2 but rotom a #3? i can honestly say that i see rotom a more than mence. even though i hate rotom a with a burning passion, it should still be higher than #3

how is salamence #2 but rotom a #3? i can honestly say that i see rotom a more than mence. even though i hate rotom a with a burning passion, it should still be higher than #3
It's completely possible that you could ladder for a whole day and not see a Salamence but see a Rotom-A in every other battle, but it would still be #3. What you see doesn't determine statistics, and while you may not see Salamence that doesn't mean it isn't still in another battle (possibly two at the same time as your one Rotom-A)

I'm surprised to see Yanmega not being used. This one makes one of the most wicked leads i've seen yet.
That's why i use it, and 75% of the time it takes at least 2/3 pokes before it needs to switch/dies. Another 20% of the time it severely hurts the opponent team, and only 5% of the time it fails to do something. Paired with Weavile to take Rotom out and a rapid spinner, Yanmega is just great.
Also attracts Bullet Punch Scizor like no one, letting Magnezone easily come in and dispose of it.
It has the plus of being probably the best Nasty Plot receiver.

Everyone knows the real reason Chomp has 80% usage in Suspects is because we love using him dearly, and it sure is fun having a poke who laughs at the face of Scizor.

Gengar has a niche similar to Latias... (being able to handle Rotoms/Tyranitar). But... Scizor (priority in general) decimates it.

Azelf is still the best lead, even though I've been seeing more direct 'standard Azelf' counters as leads (Scarf Jirachi, Tyranitar, Dragonite, etc)

how much rotom-h you see is highly dependant of your ranking. I started a testing alt yesterday and in my first 10 match (against lower ranked people) i did not see one rotom-a, but i saw 4 weaviles, 3 ninjasks, and 2 electrivires. Ya, i know...

Im pretty sure rotom-h is the pokemon that people with a rank above 1400 use the most, maybe even more than scizor. It'd be interesting to see those stats for users with a ranking only over 1400 or some other relatively high cutoff point

how much rotom-h you see is highly dependant of your ranking. I started a testing alt yesterday and in my first 10 match (against lower ranked people) i did not see one rotom-a, but i saw 4 weaviles, 3 ninjasks, and 2 electrivires. Ya, i know...

Im pretty sure rotom-h is the pokemon that people with a rank above 1400 use the most, maybe even more than scizor. It'd be interesting to see those stats for users with a ranking only over 1400 or some other relatively high cutoff point
I remember people stating earlier that Roserade was also quite popular among higher ranked players more than lower-ranked ones, while Cresselia was popular on the lower end of the scale. Rotom-H seems the most important and flagrant example of this, though.

I think we have a pretty good idea, but I mentioned in an earlier post that it would be interesting information. It's pretty obvious to me that after 1400 or so 100% of stall teams will have rotom, and most other teams will also have it.

Offensive DDNite?!

I've been seeing Dragonites being used and I thought it wasn't a big surprise. However, of those Nites, most of the ones I saw were offensive DDNites with ES and that actually surprised me. What do you guys think?

That didn't surprise me at all because I figured people would go crazy with the new HGSS moves and having priority on Dragonite is something that would make it a little nicer to use over mence. The issue of speed doesn't really bother Dragonite with a +1 or +2 espeed in its pocket vs frail revenge pokes.

There's a difference between where it's being used because people wan to try it out for the first few weeks or so and a situation where a pokemon just gradually rises in usage, which is the case for Dragonite. I still don't think DDNite with ES is that threatening. The ES set of Nite that I think is very nice is the anti-lead set but yeah. I still don't get why DDESNite is being used this much :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)